DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Penny Dreadful: City of Angels - 1930s followup series - premieres 4/26/20 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/645709-penny-dreadful-city-angels-1930s-followup-series-premieres-4-26-20-a.html)

starseed1981 04-30-20 10:55 AM

Re: Penny Dreadful: City of Angels - 1930s followup series - premieres 4/26/20

It's good. Very good. And Natalie Dormer in not-shockingly fantastic. It's a little heavy handed with the political allegories but that's par for the the course for Showtime post 2016. I'm in for season one.

PhantomStranger 04-30-20 03:29 PM

I found this first episode a gigantic bore and a waste of Natalie Dormer's immense talents. Gave it a full chance since I loved the original Penny Dreadful, but honestly this felt like the showrunner pitched a period drama set in California and Showtime agreed if he'd turn it into horror.

Why So Blu? 04-30-20 05:27 PM

On a tangent, if you read up on eminent domain, all of that shit is true. This was just one of the first instances of L.A. fucking over Latinos and other minority groups. Years later Dodger Stadium would get built using the eminent domain clause. I like that john Logan did his local research on Los Angeles for inclusion into the show.

/historylesson

kd5 05-01-20 06:19 AM

Looks like it might be a decent supernatural drama but Penny Dreadful it is not.

ctyankee 05-01-20 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 13733420)
On a tangent, if you read up on eminent domain, all of that shit is true. This was just one of the first instances of L.A. fucking over Latinos and other minority groups. Years later Dodger Stadium would get built using the eminent domain clause. I like that john Logan did his local research on Los Angeles for inclusion into the show.

/historylesson

Yes ... because that's what I insist upon in a fantasy show ... historical accuracy. (sarcasm tag).

That said, I did enjoy the homage to Chinatown, most notably the protest at city hall, the camera angles of the detective's car when approaching the mass murder scene as well as the scene on the cliff overlooking the ocean.

I'll give the show a chance as the first episode was intriguing.

Why So Blu? 05-01-20 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by ctyankee (Post 13733746)
Yes ... because that's what I insist upon in a fantasy show ... historical accuracy. (sarcasm tag).

That said, I did enjoy the homage to Chinatown, most notably the protest at city hall, the camera angles of the detective's car when approaching the mass murder scene as well as the scene on the cliff overlooking the ocean.

I'll give the show a chance as the first episode was intriguing.

Don't blame me, I think it enhances everything that revolves around it. That's the point. Forget the stupid moniker of "Penny Dreadful" - seems like it's just a tagline to have gotten it made. I agree on your Chinatown homage, though, that was nice.

Why So Blu? 05-05-20 10:17 AM

EP2 was pretty good and they actually filmed a large scene down the street from work, which was cool to see how they dressed up the location and street. The only problem I had was with a scene towards the end when

Spoiler:
The elderly agents are following the Nazi guy, they were practically tailgating his ass. Were these guys an early version of Mossad?

Other than that, it was cool.

Match 05-05-20 10:57 AM

I don’t have a Roku, but on my Apple TV 4K, the Showtime Anywhere app is showing this in 4K Dolby Vision. It looks really good.

Why So Blu? 05-05-20 11:23 AM

^ Yup, I synced it with HULU to my ATV4K.

starseed1981 05-05-20 12:03 PM

Second episodes was great. I guess I was the last person to realize that the German doctor was Frankenstein's monster from the OG Penny Dreadful haha.

rw2516 05-05-20 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 13735838)
EP2 was pretty good and they actually filmed a large scene down the street from work, which was cool to see how they dressed up the location and street. The only problem I had was with a scene towards the end when

Spoiler:
The elderly agents are following the Nazi guy, they were practically tailgating his ass. Were these guys an early version of Mossad?

Other than that, it was cool.

The two guys who were shot in the car were just regular Jewish citizens. Remember, the fourth was an old lady. Nathan Lane's character is Jewish and he is investigating Nazis on his own time. Unfortunately, he involved some of his friends and it got them killed.

Josh-da-man 05-05-20 04:38 PM

Is there going to be some kind of connection between the Nazi Doctor and Frankenstein's monster other than the (conspicuous) re-use of an actor?

Why So Blu? 05-05-20 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by rw2516 (Post 13736116)
The two guys who were shot in the car were just regular Jewish citizens. Remember, the fourth was an old lady. Nathan Lane's character is Jewish and he is investigating Nazis on his own time. Unfortunately, he involved some of his friends and it got them killed.

Gotcha. That part wasn't clear for me. Also, the female was Lin Shaye.

Why So Blu? 05-05-20 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13736138)
Is there going to be some kind of connection between the Nazi Doctor and Frankenstein's monster other than the (conspicuous) re-use of an actor?

Not unless they pull an "Overlord" type of thing with the show. That'd be pretty cool, but it's so early in the show to tell.

clckworang 05-11-20 03:48 PM

I wasn't really sure on this third episode. I'm not sure if this new show knows what it wants to be yet or maybe it's trying to be too many things. The scenes with the brother at the club felt really silly. I didn't think Natalie Dormer did very well as the queen. A big step down to me. Not giving up on it yet, though. We'll see if the ship can be righted.

Why So Blu? 05-11-20 06:44 PM

As a Mexican-American the Pachuco style always irritated me in terms of how the guys dressed. The women looked amazing, though. Dormer as a Pachuco was quite cute, but her "East Los" accent was not up to snuff. If you ever want to see how a "gringo" who grew up in the barrio sounds like all you have to do is watch Harsh Times with Christian Bale. He nails it. Other than that, I think they're building on the multiple story arcs nicely. It's definitely epic in scope.

Oh, and if you're 4K/DV then please watch it via Showtime Anytime, because the video quality is phenomenal!

starseed1981 05-12-20 02:33 PM

I'm enjoying it as well. I think the original was clearly more cohesive in tone right off the bat, everything dark and reliant of monster type tropes, where this is a bit more original with some polarizing political and sociological undertones. Its clearly building towards a collision point / event. Now it does remain to be seen whether the audience will stick around for them to reach it. It's definitely deliberately paced. I did feel bored at times in the third episode.

Why So Blu? 05-17-20 01:37 PM

Damn, new episode was off the rails!

ctyankee 05-20-20 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 13742754)
Damn, new episode was off the rails!

So true. For one city, they've created some story arcs that all could be their own comprehensive story ... all of them interesting to me.

So far, so good.

Why So Blu? 06-28-20 01:11 PM

Season finale is up. It was great! Can't wait for season 2, but doubt we'll get it anytime soon.

So in the final shot, did
Spoiler:
Tiago break the 4th wall and say that "this was not the united states of america?"

Barth 06-28-20 03:46 PM

Like the show well enough but I wonder if we’ll get another? Didn’t seem to have a lot of buzz. It’s Showtime though so we’ll probably get 7 or 8 seasons regardless.

mwbmis 07-02-20 04:36 PM

This show became a much more difficult watch when real life events kind of exploded a little more than a month ago. On that back drop it's allusions to today's America became more of a sledgehammer, and for that reason it was difficult for me to get through the last few episodes. Maybe if the show had been better, but it spent a lot of time spinning it's wheels. Still I finished it because really what else do I have to do these days.

ctyankee 07-02-20 05:04 PM

I thought it was pretty darn good. Terrific sets, locations and story. Acting was generally good. Adriana Barraza was particularly terrific. Natalie Dormer ... wow, surviving her awful German accent was hard.

Looking forward to the second season.

DWilson 07-02-20 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by mwbmis (Post 13766475)
This show became a much more difficult watch when real life events kind of exploded a little more than a month ago. On that back drop it's allusions to today's America became more of a sledgehammer, and for that reason it was difficult for me to get through the last few episodes. Maybe if the show had been better, but it spent a lot of time spinning it's wheels. Still I finished it because really what else do I have to do these days.

I enjoyed the early episodes as it built its story in a "novelistic" way, layering its themes and characters. As it progressed it became more obvious and Comic-bookish in its messaging. For some reason I went into this thinking it was going to a limited miniseries, so I was disappointed that so little was resolved. I don't think I'll bother with Season Two .

windom 08-21-20 05:01 PM

Canceled: https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/pen...me-1234743649/

Too bad. I would have liked to see where they went with this.