DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Flash (S5E04) -- "News Flash" -- 10/30/18 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/645686-flash-s5e04-news-flash-10-30-18-a.html)

DJariya 10-30-18 08:49 PM

The Flash (S5E04) -- "News Flash" -- 10/30/18

https://cdn.flickeringmyth.com/wp-co...15-600x456.jpg

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 30

THE FLASH

"News Flash" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, V) (HDTV)

NORA IS TARGETED BY A DANGEROUS META - Barry (Grant Gustin) and Iris (Candice Patton) face the ultimate parenting test when Team Flash battles Spin (guest star Kiana Madeira), a savvy millennial armed with meta tech, and a dangerous agenda for their daughter, Nora (Jessica Parker Kennedy). Ralph (Hartley Sawyer) is feeling defeated until an unlikely source issues a challenge to help boost his confidence. Brent Crowell directed the episode written by Kelly Wheeler & Lauren Certo (#504). Original airdate 10/30/2018.

whotony 10-31-18 01:20 AM

Re: The Flash (S5E04) -- "News Flash" -- 10/30/18

Ok so Nora is getting dumber every week.

Also I guess she is a lesbian.

dex14 10-31-18 12:49 PM

It was noticed and discussed in earlier threads:

My husband and I watch The Flash and we’ve noticed that Jesse L. Martin has been sitting down in all of his scenes. Are we crazy or is he injured? –Rachel
No, you are not crazy but perceptive – though this week we did see Joe leaning in a doorway at the CCPD. I’m hearing that Martin suffered a back injury over the hiatus. In fact, a studio rep confirms for TVLine that the actor will be taking a medical leave from the CW hit, adding: “We wish him a full and speedy recovery and look forward to his return as Detective Joe West.” (It’s unclear at this time exactly when and for how long Joe’s absence will be felt on screen, but sources tell me it will be addressed at some point.)
https://tvline.com/2018/10/31/flash-...-west-absence/

PhantomStranger 10-31-18 02:17 PM

Is Barry really that bad at baseball?

Jason 10-31-18 04:57 PM

Could Barry and Iris be any dumber at interpersonal relations? There's a way to say "I know Iris did what she will have done(?) for the right reasons." without making it sound like "right or wrong, I support Iris, so stop whining about your powers being blocked for most of your life." No wonder Baby Flash is so upset.

It's a shame that Ralph is becoming the smartest character.

Jason 10-31-18 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by whotony (Post 13435432)
Ok so Nora is getting dumber every week.

Also I guess she is a lesbian.

It's the CW. It would be noteworthy if she weren't.

NTTAWWT ;)

Toonview 10-31-18 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jason (Post 13435869)
Could Barry and Iris be any dumber at interpersonal relations? There's a way to say "I know Iris did what she will have done(?) for the right reasons." without making it sound like "right or wrong, I support Iris, so stop whining about your powers being blocked for most of your life." No wonder Baby Flash is so upset.

What he said wasn't meant for Nora to understand as much as it was meant for Iris to hear. Marriage is like that sometimes.

DJariya 10-31-18 05:07 PM

Glad Jesse Martin’s issue was finally made public. Not to make light of a back injury because they’re painful, but I’m glad it wasn’t something more serious.

Michael Corvin 10-31-18 08:39 PM

That whole scene with Nora and Iris was weird. So Nora is mad at future Iris for supressing her powers. And present Iris is supposed to apologize for an event that hasn't happened yet and provide some reasoning for it? -screwy- How old is Nora supposed to be?

I'm enjoying Sherloque and Ralph's pairing. They're good together.

Lastly...MetaTech? That's umm, something I guess.

Boondock Saint 10-31-18 09:52 PM

She kind of proved (future) Iris right, considering when she removed the power dampener, she decided it'd be a good idea to go back in time and change the timeline.

Red Dog 11-01-18 09:29 AM

Meta tech. Oh brother. :lol:

Was lukewarm on starting in another season of this show. Need to bail.

Kennyx 11-01-18 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Red Dog (Post 13436182)
Meta tech. Oh brother. :lol:

Was lukewarm on starting in another season of this show. Need to bail.

yeah... this show hasnt been good since season 2.
I play it the background now, but I think Im done.

hdnmickey 11-01-18 09:41 AM

We're supposed to believe a gifted speedster can't at least catch a baseball?

All hope I had for Nora and Cicada improving the show is long gone. I also can't believe they made this season's Wells worse than HR.

Ralph is till fun, so there's that.

dex14 11-01-18 09:45 AM

Yea, the Wells stuff is shit.

Unclejosh 11-01-18 11:20 AM

Isn't Barry's speed like an innate part of him now and should be as natural as breathing. It isn't something he turns off and on, so when he walks normally he is actively choosing to walk normal, it isn't like he shuts off the powers and activates them as needed. So stupid the way it portrayed him as a clumsy oaf because that would mean he was purposely missing the ball on purpose. He could have still been shown as ok without using the speed as an advantage. I didn't mind the slow running to first base, but the repeated falling while missing the balls was cringe-worthy.

hdnmickey 11-01-18 11:40 AM

Except they played it off as he was really trying and supposedly sucked at sports even before he became The Flash.

Unclejosh 11-01-18 01:12 PM

Which doesn't even make sense because even if he did, becoming the Flash changed all that. Again it isn't something he turns off and on. It is always there unless he deliberately acts in that way. The only way being the Flash works is the the Speed Force also allows for precision coordination and actions at all times (unless an outside force interrupts of course).

hdnmickey 11-01-18 01:28 PM

So we're in agreement that that scene made no sense since they made it clear Barry was trying his best, and still failing, just as he did before becoming Flash.

Odd decision since there has been many exmaples of scenes on other movies/shows where supers keep things in check when playing sports so not to look super-human.

Unclejosh 11-01-18 01:36 PM

Yes total agreement. Made zero sense and was way over the top. As you state there are numerous ways to do it and has been in other superhero portrayals to show him doing "normal" stuff.

The only way the scene works is if it was established that he was wearing a power dampener which also removed his coordination and all possible traces of any athletic ability. I find it hard to believe that someone who falls multiple times in the outfield while trying to catch simple pop ups would also somehow have the hand eye coordination to even connect with the ball at all when hitting. I have an easier time believing in the powers themselves than that.

Kdogg 11-01-18 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Unclejosh (Post 13436307)
Isn't Barry's speed like an innate part of him now and should be as natural as breathing. It isn't something he turns off and on, so when he walks normally he is actively choosing to walk normal, it isn't like he shuts off the powers and activates them as needed. So stupid the way it portrayed him as a clumsy oaf because that would mean he was purposely missing the ball on purpose. He could have still been shown as ok without using the speed as an advantage. I didn't mind the slow running to first base, but the repeated falling while missing the balls was cringe-worthy.

At least they could have tried a Clark Kent and made it like he was trying to fail. Agreed it made no sense.

PhantomStranger 11-01-18 04:14 PM

Barry can consciously choose not to use his speed powers. He may think it's cheating against the other players. In that case, he may not be much of a well-coordinated athlete.

Eric F 11-01-18 07:13 PM

Meta-tech? Well there goes the Arrowverse.:lol:

Seriously- what does that even mean?

ben12 11-02-18 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by hdnmickey (Post 13436198)
We're supposed to believe a gifted speedster can't at least catch a baseball?

All hope I had for Nora and Cicada improving the show is long gone. I also can't believe they made this season's Wells worse than HR.

Ralph is till fun, so there's that.

Not sure how speed (which he can't really use on the field in front of people) helps you catch a ball. Once you're in position, you still have to physically catch it, and speed doesn't help with that.

ben12 11-02-18 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by hdnmickey (Post 13436416)
So we're in agreement that that scene made no sense since they made it clear Barry was trying his best, and still failing, just as he did before becoming Flash.

Odd decision since there has been many exmaples of scenes on other movies/shows where supers keep things in check when playing sports so not to look super-human.

You guys are seriously overthinking it.

ben12 11-02-18 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 13436603)
Meta-tech? Well there goes the Arrowverse.:lol:

Seriously- what does that even mean?

Seemed pretty clear to me. Some technology will be able to do crazy shit now.