Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Rent Live! (FOX) -- 1/27/19

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-19, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: Rent Live! (FOX) -- 1/27/19

I really liked it! It was a bit different but I thought everyone did well. Vanessa was great! I was impressed with Valentina, though she did hit some had notes. Loved the reunion at the end!
Old 01-28-19, 08:43 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
SMH. The movie is essentially a film production of the broadway stage show with the entire original cast save for Mimi. How you can possibly think this makes no sense. It's a far cry from Rock of Ages (stage vs. movie).
even though you worded it wrong and i know what you meant, it makes perfect sense because i didn't like it. plain and simple. it captured none of the magic of a live performance and played out very dull on screen...
Old 01-28-19, 09:01 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

I thought it was a pretty common conensus that the movie wasn't very good. Regardless of most of the original cast returning, it just didn't translate well to screen. I think most of that failure falls as having Christopher Columbus direct.

Regarding the "Live" performance, it seems to be a shame that they had to end up airing a dress rehearsal. I guess it isn't really fair to critique it based that. It is fucking crazy though that they didn't have an understudy.
Old 01-28-19, 10:13 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Rent: Watch Unaired, Actually Live Footage From Sunday's Show
https://tvline.com/2019/01/28/rent-l...jBcRAyvXQ8GP0o
Old 01-28-19, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

I only made it about 1/2 hour in, had to turn it off. Second hand embarrassment was far too high. Was really hoping Valentina would pull a rabbit out of her hat. I wonder if they actually had her sing during her audition? Man, that was ROUGH.
Old 01-29-19, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
even though you worded it wrong and i know what you meant, it makes perfect sense because i didn't like it. plain and simple. it captured none of the magic of a live performance and played out very dull on screen...
I worded it just fine.
Old 01-29-19, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Neitzl
I really liked it! It was a bit different but I thought everyone did well. Vanessa was great! I was impressed with Valentina, though she did hit some had notes. Loved the reunion at the end!
She was pretty good as Mimi in the Hollywood Bowl Performance. To me, Out Tonight is what makes Mimi (just like One Song Glory is what makes Roger and Over the Moon for Maureen). She blew it out the door.

EDIT - I just watched the Fox Out Tonight...garbage. This is Vanessa's. She kills it. She's a fantastic Mimi. If she was playing the role touring I would see her.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/G1vGzIszO8k" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I can never decide whether I like Adam's or Will Chase's One Song Glory better. I lean towards Will since I saw him do it live and it was unreal. People were crying in the audience after.

Last edited by DVD Josh; 01-29-19 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-29-19, 11:05 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I love the show. This production was weak. It was very low energy, probably due to it being a dress rehearsal.

It’s had me thinking about the history of the show and its impact. Not since Hair I guess did anyone try and make something like this. Something that was explicitly about the zeitgeist and existing within it. This is America circa 1985-1995 distilled into a concentrated piece of entertainment. I don’t think any other generation has a work of theater like this. Fiddler on the Roof isn’t about us. Cats isn’t a piece that defines anything. Into the Woods reflects post modern values, but it’s set in fantasy land. Rent is about a time and a place. It’s pretty amazing.
Old 01-29-19, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I love the show. This production was weak. It was very low energy, probably due to it being a dress rehearsal.

It’s had me thinking about the history of the show and its impact. Not since Hair I guess did anyone try and make something like this. Something that was explicitly about the zeitgeist and existing within it. This is America circa 1985-1995 distilled into a concentrated piece of entertainment. I don’t think any other generation has a work of theater like this. Fiddler on the Roof isn’t about us. Cats isn’t a piece that defines anything. Into the Woods reflects post modern values, but it’s set in fantasy land. Rent is about a time and a place. It’s pretty amazing.
I'm convinced that Cats was part of a bet that Weber made to demonstrate to someone he could write a play about literally the stupidest thing imaginable with no coherent plot and a signature song that has ZERO to do with anything in the play and it would be the most popular broadway show of all time. He won that bet in spades.
Old 01-29-19, 11:15 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Tip for those who have never seen the show: Rent only has one good song, and it's sung right at the beginning. So you only need to invest 5-10 minutes into this.

Also, the show has several good songs, and if you’re referring to Seasons of Love it is not sung at the beginning.
Old 01-29-19, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Also, the show has several good songs, and if you’re referring to Seasons of Love it is not sung at the beginning.
Maybe he's referring to One Song Glory
Old 01-29-19, 03:08 PM

SMH. The movie is essentially a film production of the broadway stage show with the entire original cast save for Mimi. How you can possibly think this makes no sense. It's a far cry from Rock of Ages (stage vs. movie).
I worded it just fine.
did you though?
Old 01-29-19, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Watch Dear Evan Hanson if you get a chance. It's really about us right now. America in the You Tube/ Facebook era of social media and fleeting causes. The summary of the show makes it sound dark and depressing but it really isn't. It's fantastic.
And unlike almost every other musical (besides Book of Mormon), it's not based on pre-existing works, making the story more of a surprise.
Old 01-29-19, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
Watch Dear Evan Hanson if you get a chance. It's really about us right now. America in the You Tube/ Facebook era of social media and fleeting causes. The summary of the show makes it sound dark and depressing but it really isn't. It's fantastic.
And unlike almost every other musical (besides Book of Mormon), it's not based on pre-existing works, making the story more of a surprise.
DEH (can you watch this other than live on Broadway?) is amazing!! 3rd on my list behind RENT and then The Lion King...
Old 01-29-19, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

did you though?
Yes. End of discussion about it in a Rent thread. If you want to discuss grammatical issues by PM, the light's on.
Old 01-29-19, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

DEH (can you watch this other than live on Broadway?) is amazing!!.
It's on a National tour.
Old 01-29-19, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
I don't know if it's "just me", but the picture quality seems exceptionally poor. The closer shots aren't bad, but in the wider shots the focus seems off and looks like it shifts in and out during the shot. It's also grainy as hell. Maybe I need an MRI.
Well, there was also an annoying FOX logo onscreen that wouldn't go away, plus "#RENT" right above that. I tuned out after about 20 seconds. (Fox is at least now airing The Simpsons without any garbage on the screen, shame they can't show the same respect to their other shows.)

You can buy this for $3 on Vudu so I did that and will watch it later- it's a higher price if you click "Buy Series" but click on just the show itself and it's only $3. They did the same thing with the Rocky Horror thing a couple years ago, funny that nobody caught that.