TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Supergirl (S4E03) -- "Man of Steel" -- 10/28/18

Old 10-28-18, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Supergirl (S4E03) -- "Man of Steel" -- 10/28/18

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 28

SUPERGIRL

"Man of Steel" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, V) (HDTV)

XANDER BERKELEY GUEST STARS IN THE ORIGIN STORY OF AGENT LIBERTY - Ben Lockwood (Sam Witwer) didn't always hate aliens. Through a series of incidents, and input from his anti-alien father (guest star Xander Berkeley), Ben slowly transforms from a mild-mannered professor into the villainous Agent Liberty of today. Jesse Warn directed the episode written by Rob Wright & Derek Simon (#403). Original airdate 10/28/2018

No, Tyler Hoechlin is not guest starring as Superman tonight.

He won't appear until the crossover in December.
Old 10-28-18, 03:50 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Re: Supergirl (S4E03) -- "Man of Steel" -- 10/28/18

Next episode: Crisis

Kara can't decide what to wear to work.
Old 10-29-18, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought that was Aidan under that mask when I heard his voice. Good episode but the reason to keep supergirl on Earth was dumb.
Old 10-29-18, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
Good episode but the reason to keep supergirl on Earth was dumb.
Indeed, it made no sense whatsoever.
Old 10-29-18, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 187 Posts

There was much that was good about the episode, -they showed the "collateral damage" that "Supers" caused to the everyday people living in the storyline. It was almost subversive in showing that the main characters are pretty much dangerous to the average people around them and they're generally oblivious about it, though Jimmy Olsen might publish a graph about your concerns near the obituaries. However, they still have to tie it to this whole alien allegory they're enamored of, which is about as simplistic as "The Purge".

Last edited by DWilson; 10-29-18 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-29-18, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Sam Witwer=kiss of death for me in most shows. He ruined Smallville and his Aiden in Being Human sucked compared to Aiden Turner's Mitchell. I love his voice acting but his zero charisma and screen presence kill anything he has done in live action in my opinion.

Since I am not watching yet until i have a change to binge a few, how has he been?
Old 10-29-18, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
There was much that was good about the episode, -they showed the "collateral damage" that "Supers" caused to the everyday people living in the storyline. It was almost subversive in showing that the main characters are pretty much dangerous to the average people around them and they're generally oblivious about it, though Jimmy Olsen might publish a graph about your concerns near the obituaries. However, they still have to tie it to this whole alien allegory they're enamored of, which is about as simplistic as "The Purge".

Hasn't that been a "Thing" since "Man of Steel"? BvS was all about that very thing. It was Batman's main issue with Superman. It literally addressed the real world mass destruction criticisms of "MoS". But people were so caught up in hating BvS they missed that. There was even a DC TV show that dealt with some of that called "POWERLESS". Shit...even Marvel starting addressing that issue in their films.
Old 10-29-18, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Hasn't that been a "Thing" since "Man of Steel"? BvS was all about that very thing. It was Batman's main issue with Superman. It literally addressed the real world mass destruction criticisms of "MoS". But people were so caught up in hating BvS they missed that. There was even a DC TV show that dealt with some of that called "POWERLESS". Shit...even Marvel starting addressing that issue in their films.
I'm not talking about the movies, I'm not talking about Marvel, I'm talking about this particular episode of "Supergirl" and their storytelling, which I'm generally less than enamored of. However, on their way to their usual ham-handed sermonizing, I thought it was interesting that they actually acknowledged this, whether that was their intention or not.
Old 10-29-18, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I'm not talking about the movies, I'm not talking about Marvel, I'm talking about this particular episode of "Supergirl" and their storytelling, which I'm generally less than enamored of. However, on their way to their usual ham-handed sermonizing, I thought it was interesting that they actually acknowledged this, whether that was their intention or not.
Point is, it's a "Thing" in all the major comic media right now. So even if it's the first time on "Supergirl" it's not that "subversive". That's all I meant
Old 10-30-18, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

I was very surprised. It was much better and less slap your face allegory then I expected. It actually surprisingly showed that it's like for everyday people dealing with aliens and why they might not be so opened to them. I like how Martian Manhunter said "you're safe now" just as their home caught fire.
Old 10-30-18, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I liked this episode. Thought they did a good job showing the missing pieces from episodes of last season and the collateral damage Supergirl, her Mom, Mon-El did last season and it's effects.

It also served as a origin story for Witwer's character and the anger he has towards the aliens and how he deemed that they ruined his life.

Rhona (Mercy) has been a good villain and a good manipulator of emotions.

That protective nanite suit that Lena put onto Supergirl was pretty cool.

Only thing that I really don't like is Alex's new haircut.