Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

‘The Simpsons’ Is Reportedly Eliminating Apu from the Series.

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-27-18, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Producer Adi Shankar (Dredd, Lone Survivor), citing sources close to long-running Fox animated series The Simpsons, claims the series is quietly dropping Apu Nahasapeemapetilon following controversies that have emerged surrounding the character.

“I got some disheartening news back, that I’ve verified from multiple sources now: They’re going to drop the Apu character altogether,” Shankar told IndieWire.

“They aren’t going to make a big deal out of it, or anything like that, but they’ll drop him altogether just to avoid the controversy.”

In May, the Indian-American producer launched a screenwriting contest, open to anyone, intended to “solve the problem” with Apu, who in recent years has been accused of being an inappropriate and insensitive racial caricature.

Shankar, who in the past has produced unauthorized “bootleg” projects inspired by Power Rangers and Marvel Comics characters like Venom and the Punisher, said he would present the winning script to Fox and see it produced by either The Simpsons filmmakers or as an unofficial fan-film financed by himself.

The goal, Shankar said, was to develop a script that “in a clever way subverts [Apu], pivots him, writes him out, or evolves him in a way that takes a creation that was the byproduct of a predominately Harvard-educated white male writers’ room and transforms it into a fresh, funny and realistic portrayal of Indians in America.”

Despite having found the “perfect script,” Shankar was reportedly told the character will be quietly retired.

“I think the most important thing is to listen to Indian people and their experience with it,” Azaria, who has voiced the character since 1990, said on Stephen Colbert’s The Late Show.

“Listening to voices means inclusion in the writers’ room. I really want to see Indian, south Asian writers in the writers’ room, genuinely informing whichever direction this character takes.”

Azaria added he is “perfectly willing to step aside” and end his tenure as the convenience store owner. “It just feels like the right thing to do to me,” he said.

Viewers were unhappy with the way The Simpsons officially addressed the controversy in an April episode that saw Marge and Lisa discussing the “politically incorrect” nature of the character, who his creators have dubbed harmless.

“Something that started decades ago and was applauded and inoffensive, is now politically incorrect. What can you do?” asked Lisa, before looking over to a framed photo of Apu on her bedside table.

Marge said the issue would be handled “at a later date,” before Lisa added, “if at all,” with both characters then looking directly into the camera.

“We have had the conversation with [executive producer] Jim Brooks and his team and we’ve basically left it up to them,” Fox CEO Dana Walden told press in August.

“They’ve treated the characters with so much respect. We trust them to handle it in a way that will be best for the show… ultimately we decided that would be their decision.”

Apu most recently made a silent cameo appearance in Oct. 14 episode “My Way or the Highway to Heaven,” which showed Apu as just one of dozens of characters stood near God.

Shankar argued quietly pushing Apu into the background to avoid the controversy without addressing it directly is a mistake.

“If you are a show about cultural commentary and you are too afraid to comment on the culture, especially when it’s a component of the culture you had a hand in creating, then you are a show about cowardice,” he said.

“It’s not a step forward, or step backwards, it’s just a massive step sideways. After having read all these wonderful scripts, I feel like sidestepping this issue doesn’t solve it when the whole purpose of art, I would argue, is to bring us together.”

Shankar intends to produce the winning script through his Bootleg Universe YouTube page. The Simpsons airs Sundays on Fox.

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/2018/...g-controversy/
Old 10-27-18, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: ‘The Simpsons’ Is Reportedly Eliminating Apu from the Series.

So fucking stupid. There wasn’t a controversy over the character for close to three decades, but the second someone makes a documentary about how they’re offended by the character people are acting as though it’s a huge deal and needs to be stopped immediately. Even though half these people that supposedly care probably don’t even watch the show because it hasn’t been deemed socially relevant in years. I truly hate this modern culture where creators have to break under pressure the second anyone takes offense to anything. Apu was never really intended as an offensive character and isn’t shown in a worse light based on the fact that he’s an Indian. I really don’t see how it’s the fault of the show that people are assholes and use the character as a stereotype.

I don’t really know what Shankar expected the show to address. The fact that Apu and his family are treated the same as others on the show, but there’s a need to suddenly shoehorn in a subplot about him getting bullied over his accent/catchphrase? The truth of the matter in my opinion is that there’s nothing really there because he hasn’t been made fun of because of that or been portrayed negatively based on his ethnic background. The only reason they’d do anything is to satisfy the over-reactionary politically correct group who suddenly cares, when realistically they don’t have anything to stand on other than the fact that they know people are made fun of by others in real life over a catch phrase. Again, not the show’s fault in my opinion. If the character didn’t exist people would still find reasons or other things to use to make fun of people, and in this case Indian people with.

Hell, you want a character that’s portrayed badly and takes jokes based on being an Indian look at Raj on The Big Bang Theory. He’s played as far worse and into more stereotypes on one of the most popular shows on tv versus Apu who’s really not portrayed badly based on his ethnicity.

Last edited by Mike86; 10-27-18 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-27-18, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven’t watched The Simpsons in decades ... is there ANY character on the show that isn’t a stereotype that could be deemed offensive?

Burying your head in the sand is not a solution to the problem (real or manufactured) though. However, when we cannot have an honest dialogue and present solutions as it seems Shankar was attempting, this will continue to be the result. People will just avoid the things that they are ignorant about or uncomfortable with.
Old 10-27-18, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My thing is if there was something the show explicitly did to cause offense that’s entirely different. This is manufacturing a problem out of something others have done as a result of watching the show. People are assholes and racism comes with that. It’s not right, but the show has never made it seem like it is. In my opinion Apu isn’t treated differently based on being an Indian versus any other stereotype portrayed in other characters. We live in an outrage culture though where if someone deems something as offensive then dammit you better change it. It’s dumb in my opinion. Could the show address it? Sure, but what’s next? It’s not nice to make stereotypes against fat people, religious people, etc.? All those characters should be written out too?
Old 10-27-18, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Hopefully they get rid of Groundskeeper Willie, Comic Book Guy, and Disco Stu next. Horrible stereotypes.
Old 10-27-18, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think it's stupid, as the show has always been about stereotypes being more than what they are on the surface, and Apu is a pretty well developed character overall.

But I also thought they got rid of him for good last season.
Old 10-27-18, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Apu honestly is probably one of the more well rounded side characters on the show, but of course that doesn’t fit the narrative of the point about some people taking offense to him so that won’t be brought up in his defense.
Old 10-27-18, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

“If you are a show about cultural commentary and you are too afraid to comment on the culture, especially when it’s a component of the culture you had a hand in creating, then you are a show about cowardice,” he said.
They commented on it with an episode, and they got criticized for it.
I don't blame them for quietly retiring the Apu character. If he's this harmful, racist caricature, why keep him?
Maybe they could "rehabilitate" the character, but that's risky too. If they get an Indian-American actor to voice him, with NO accent, maybe they'll be accused of white washing the character because, what's wrong with having an accent?
And if you get an Indian-American actor WITH an accent, it's like, why still go with the accent? Not all Indians speak like they're from India.
And the focus of the show is the title family, not Apu.

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
So fucking stupid. There wasn’t a controversy over the character for close to three decades, but the second someone makes a documentary about how they’re offended by the character people are acting as though it’s a huge deal and needs to be stopped immediately.
No controversy or backlash that was publicly documented at least.
The comedian used The Simpsons to get some recognition, and in this era, stuff like this is a hot topic to seize on.

That said, I heard back in junior high, "Apu," "Kwik E Mart," and "Thank you, come again," used to make fun of Indian, and even Middle Eastern kids. But then again, kids find anything and everything to roast you in school, so...

Apu was never really intended as an offensive character and isn’t shown in a worse light based on the fact that he’s an Indian. I really don’t see how it’s the fault of the show that people are assholes and use the character as a stereotype.
I disagree. He's an Indian caricature. Thick, stereotyped accent, owns a convenience store.
Are there any recurring black characters on the show that talk in a stereotypical fashion, and fall into black stereotypes?

I don’t really know what Shankar expected the show to address. The fact that Apu and his family are treated the same as others on the show, but there’s a need to suddenly shoehorn in a subplot about him getting bullied over his accent/catchphrase?
Maybe he's using the controversy to promote his own brand.
Apparently he's already famous and successful, but I never heard of his name until this article.
And now I'm probably going to check out his "Bootleg Universe" YouTube.

If the character didn’t exist people would still find reasons or other things to use to make fun of people, and in this case Indian people with.
Maybe. Maybe it wouldn't be as much if not for stuff like this.
Racial caricatures, or caricatures of any kind help legitimize bullying, insults, etc.

Hell, you want a character that’s portrayed badly and takes jokes based on being an Indian look at Raj on The Big Bang Theory. He’s played as far worse and into more stereotypes on one of the most popular shows on tv versus Apu who’s really not portrayed badly based on his ethnicity.
That's a good point.
The Simpson's is an old show, and Apu is only a background character, so it's an easier target.
The Big Bang Theory is a relatively new show, is extremely popular, so going after that character might not be as successful. But yeah, Raj was one of the few Indian characters on TV at the time, and of course, he has to have an accent. And of course the non-white nerd of the group, the Indian guy, is so bad with women that he can't even talk to them.

To be fair though, the accent Raj has is natural for the actor. So that's also more difficult to criticize the actor, since it would be perceived as attacking a Person of Color.

I agree that he's definitely evolved on the show and like you said, became one of the more well-rounded characters.
The one where he becomes a citizen was good, and I don't remember it being played for laughs at his expense, but I could be wrong. He was actually well-versed in American history, whereas white, born-in-America calls it the "electrical" college.
If Apu is gone, only because of some comedian's documentary, then yeah, that sucks.
But if a substantial amount of Indian-Americans feel the character is harmful or insulting, yeah, get rid of the character.

Last edited by brayzie; 10-27-18 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-27-18, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
I disagree. He's an Indian caricature. Thick, stereotyped accent, owns a convenience store.
Are there any recurring black characters on the show that talk in a stereotypical fashion, and fall into black stereotypes?
There are stereotypes all throughout the show. Homer is a fat, borderline alcoholic, who’s also lazy and not great at his job. I guess that’s okay though because he’s white (or yellow as is the case on the show). Same goes for characters like Wiggum (fat, incompetent cop), Barney (fat and alcoholic), Comic Book Guy (overweight nerd who has no life outside of comics and nerd culture).

You’ve also got characters like Bumblebee Man who’s a Mexican actor who pretty much only ever says “aye, aye, aye”, Groundskeeper Willie who’s an angry Scottish man. Dr. Nick is an incompetent Mexican doctor, whereas Dr. Hibbert is an African-American who’s portrayed as a wealthy doctor constantly chuckling about something. There’s the Flanders family who are the overly devout religious fanatics and to a lesser extent the Lovejoys. I could really go on and on. It’s not just Apu.

Point is it isn’t like the show is going out of its way to point the finger at him or people of Indian background. No more than it’s going for any of the other groups represented. It isn’t as though they’re constantly making Indian jokes at his expense.

To me there’s a difference between stereotyping something and using it offensively versus just doing it to accurately portray/satirize something, which is what The Simpsons aims for in my opinion.

I also find it rather silly that it’s considered offensive for Hank Azaria to do a voice (which isn’t overly exaggerated really), but if an Indian voice actor did the same voice and portrayed the character the same way it probably wouldn’t even be considered a big deal.

Last edited by Mike86; 10-27-18 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-27-18, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There are stereotypes all throughout the show. Homer is a fat, borderline alcoholic, who’s also lazy and not great at his job.
I guess that’s okay though because he’s white (or yellow as is the case on the show).
What exactly is Homer a stereotype of?
There's a bunch of different type of diverse, white characters on the show.

Same goes for characters like Wiggum (fat, incompetent cop), Barney (fat and alcoholic), Comic Book Guy (overweight nerd who has no life outside of comics and nerd culture).
Yeah, but there's more than one cop, and there not all fat and incompetent like Wiggum.
Barney is a stereotype of alcoholics? No one wants to stay an alcoholic so one's going to be championing alcoholic portrayals.
Comic Book Guy is messed up, because for the longest time he was representative of older comic readers/store owners. It wasn't until they did episodes featuring Alan Moore and the Maus creator, that they tried to make comic book culture somewhat cool.

You’ve also got characters like Bumblebee Man who’s a Mexican actor who pretty much only ever says “aye, aye, aye”.
Yeah, he's worse than Apu, but I don't think he's featured anywhere near as much as the Bumblee Man.
Everyone remembers Apu, but I forgot about that guy.

Groundskeeper Willie who’s an angry Scottish man.
Yeah he's a cultural stereotype.
But you'd have to be successful in saying that it's harmful to Scottish people to make it an issue.

Dr. Nick is an incompetent Mexican doctor
I never knew what he was supposed to be exactly. But yeah, foreign Doctor with Latin American accent is a quack as opposed to...

Dr. Hibbert is an African-American who’s portrayed as a wealthy doctor constantly chuckling about something.
So America Doctors good.
Latin American doctors bad.

But notice, that the Dr. Hibbert is one of the most inoffensive characters on The Simpsons. Even back then the show knew which groups were safe to caricature, and which ones weren't.

Oh yeah, apparently a white guy voices Dr. Hibbert.

Point is it isn’t like the show is going out of its way to point the finger at him or people of Indian background. No more than it’s going for any of the other groups represented. It isn’t as though they’re constantly making Indian jokes at his expense.
You make great points. I forgot about Dr. Nick, Bumbleeman, Comic Book Guy, and Groundskeeper Willy.
Then you have the recurring Italian characters all being Mafia members.
Why focus only on Apu?
Like you said, the show is full of caricatures.

I also find it rather silly that it’s considered offensive for Hank Azaria to do a voice (which isn’t overly exaggerated really), but if an Indian voice actor did the same voice and portrayed the character the same way it probably wouldn’t even be considered a big deal.
Well, according to the documentary, Apu sounds like a white guy doing a bad impersonation of an Indian accent.
I didn't think it was overly exaggerated, but I'll defer to actual Indians opinions and experiences.

I myself was pretty offended by Al Pacino's brown face portrayal of Cuban Tony Montana. And his brown face portrayal of Puerto Rican Carlito Brigante. Apparently NY Puerto Rican's talk like Yosemite Sam.
Not to mention we're constantly portrayed in movies as gang members or being part of drug cartels.
Old 10-27-18, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There are stereotypes all throughout the show. Homer is a fat, borderline alcoholic, who’s also lazy and not great at his job. I guess that’s okay though because he’s white (or yellow as is the case on the show). Same goes for characters like Wiggum (fat, incompetent cop), Barney (fat and alcoholic), Comic Book Guy (overweight nerd who has no life outside of comics and nerd culture).

You’ve also got characters like Bumblebee Man who’s a Mexican actor who pretty much only ever says “aye, aye, aye”, Groundskeeper Willie who’s an angry Scottish man. Dr. Nick is an incompetent Mexican doctor, whereas Dr. Hibbert is an African-American who’s portrayed as a wealthy doctor constantly chuckling about something. There’s the Flanders family who are the overly devout religious fanatics and to a lesser extent the Lovejoys. I could really go on and on. It’s not just Apu.

To me there’s a difference between stereotyping something and using it offensively versus just doing it to accurately portray/satirize something, which is what The Simpsons aims for in my opinion.

You do understand that you're white and trying to say that this isn't offensive? Not that it's offensive to me either but, do you care if it hurts anyone's feelings? I'm not saying everything that's offensive to someone should be banned. I get why The Simpsons would do this they're not trying to be Family Guy.
Old 10-27-18, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by actionjackson29 View Post
You do understand that you're white and trying to say that this isn't offensive? Not that it's offensive to me either but, do you care if it hurts anyone's feelings? I'm not saying everything that's offensive to someone should be banned. I get why The Simpsons would do this they're not trying to be Family Guy.
I do understand that, but again I don’t think the aim of the show has ever been to portray him negatively. Look at the episodes specifically centered around the character and tell me how he’s offensive. I’d truly say Apu is one of the best side characters on the show.

Heck the argument is more about how people have used the catchphrase of the character from the show than anything the show actually did to cause offense. Shankar doesn’t even seem to really have a problem with the character other than the fact that he’s been used as a basis for people to attack Indian people with.

To me The Simpsons has always been rather tame in its humor. Again like I mentioned I think it’s different to satirize different ethnic groups, religions, etc. versus making mean spirited jokes which other animated shows are far more guilty of. I think society deems too many things as offensive now days. If Apu was really cause for concern why was it never brought up in thirty years?

Last edited by Mike86; 10-27-18 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-27-18, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by actionjackson29 View Post
You do understand that you're white and trying to say that this isn't offensive?
If white Mike had said it was indeed offensive, would that be okay?
What if Mike had been Asian or Mexican, and had one opinion or another about it? Would it be okay to voice as long as he wasn't white, or would his opinion be invalid because he wasn't Indian?

Should white people even talk about these things?

In this article, the Indian writer says the following:

The common defense of Apu is that The Simpsons has many stereotypes (the Italian Fat Tony, the sometimes-Jewish Krusty the Clown, the Scottish Groundskeeper Willy). But none of these characters exist in a cultural reality where they are the only representative of their ethnicity: there are myriad Italian-American and Jewish characters on TV, but for many years, Apu stood as a singular representative of desi culture. That’s slowly starting to change with shows like Mindy Kaling’s The Mindy Project, but these programs haven’t yet had the cultural impact of The Simpsons.
This person isn't Italian, but seems comfortable enough to argue that it's okay that the only Italians on The Simpsons are mafia members. But maybe Italian-Americans shouldn't feel any type of way, since a non-Italian is saying that there's other Italian characters on TV who aren't mobsters.

And yet, Italian-Americans do take offense to being stereotyped in film and television as mobsters.

Italian-American Group Sues Sopranos

"The association issued a statement saying the series "suggests that criminality is in the blood or in the genes of Italian Americans and that Italians as early immigrants to this country had little opportunity other than to turn to crime."

Last edited by brayzie; 10-27-18 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-27-18, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If white Mike had said it was indeed offensive, would that be okay?
What if Mike had been Asian or Mexican, and one opinion or another about it? Would it be okay to voice as long as he wasn't white, or would his opinion be invalid because he wasn't Indian?

Should white people even talk about these things?
That’s a good point too. If a person is white and laughs at a joke about someone that’s different they just don’t understand. Yet at the same time it apparently is okay for the tables to be turned and for other cultures to make fun of white people and it’s no big deal because reasons. I’m not saying that white folks have had to endure the same discrimination as other ethnicities, but if you don’t want your group made fun of then it should go both ways.

I have nothing against Indian people or any other minority groups. I laugh at simple jokes involving all kinds of characters. Apu has long been a favorite character of mine because he’s memorable and has a lot of standout moments/episodes. Does that make me racist or insensitive? I would guess the majority of people feel the same, but when someone comes along and stirs the pot in today’s modern climate there’s an uproar for change or you’ll never hear the end of it.
Old 10-27-18, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Apu is smart, hardworking, and has an outsider's understanding of American culture. Are there really a lot of Indians who find the character offensive?
Old 10-27-18, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Apu has long been a favorite character of mine because he’s memorable and has a lot of standout moments/episodes.
Does that make me racist or insensitive?
Yes.

I also like Apu.
The episode when he becomes a citizen was pretty good.

I would guess the majority of people feel the same, but when someone comes along and stirs the pot in today’s modern climate there’s an uproar for change or you’ll never hear the end of it.
This whole thing about "you're white, you have no right to say what's offensive and what's not" doesn't seem like sound logic, in my opinion.

In one case, a Latina writer for Marie Claire wrote an article titled, https://www.marieclaire.com/beauty/a22552072/rihanna-skinny-eyebrows-vogue/?utm_medium=social-media&utm_source=twitter&src=socialflowTW&utm_campaign=socialflowTWMAR and the

She argued that Rihanna was appropriating Latina chola culture with the pencil thin eyebrows.

The counter argument by many black Twitter users was that thin eyebrows were big in the 1920s, and popularized by many entertainers, including African-Americans like Josephine Baker, predating when Mexican-American cholas started doing it.
Now, if a white person made the same arguments, they would probably be criticized for their opinion, and accused of white-'splaining.
But it's okay when non-Latinos, who happen to be black, tell a Latina that her claims of cultural appropriation are erroneous.

Last edited by brayzie; 10-27-18 at 05:06 PM.
Old 10-27-18, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What exactly is Homer a stereotype of?
The bumbling American father figure. Dad's are often portrayed as inept, goofy, fat and balding in media and has it's fair share of offendees.

There's people to be offended by everything.
Old 10-27-18, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

With Homer I was more thinking he's the stereotype of the lazy white American. Kind of a generalization but a stereotype I think somewhat exists. Same kind of thing for Wiggum. I'm surprised no one has gone after Ralph Wiggum yet. Clearly a bit insensitive towards people with special needs.
Old 10-27-18, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It is a cartoon and not something to be taken seriously plus all the characters are characterizations exaggerated for humor.
Old 10-27-18, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

it too bad about Apu being retired.
"Reportedly"? Already happened over a year ago not sure why its being brought up now.

Dr Hibbert is a caricature of Bill Cosby's character on the Cosby Show.
Old 10-27-18, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Everything else side, yeah, the voice is extremely overly exaggerated.
Old 10-27-18, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
Everything else side, yeah, the voice is extremely overly exaggerated.
I guess to me I don’t really hear that. I think if anything it sounds a bit more animated, but that makes sense since the show is animated. I think he sounds fairly similar to other Indian actors I’ve seen in shows/films. I don’t know anyone in real life who actually is Indian though.
Old 10-27-18, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I work with many people from India. In my experience, Apu's accent isn't stereotyped, except for the fact that Azaria is not Indian.
Old 10-28-18, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah I’m not Indian so I can’t say it wouldn’t offend me but I am Hispanic and I was never offended by Bumblebee guy. I think a lot of this kind of change is knee-jerk is based on getting the complainer’s name out there.

Last edited by gmanca; 10-28-18 at 03:02 AM.
Old 10-28-18, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Whatever happens, and whatever anyone says, one thing will always be true. "Much Apu About Nothing" is one of the series' best episodes, and a great example of The Simpsons ability to combine humor and pointed political commentary to great effect.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.