DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Legacies (CW) -- Vampire Diaries & Originals spinoff -- Premieres 10/25/18 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/645640-legacies-cw-vampire-diaries-originals-spinoff-premieres-10-25-18-a.html)

DJariya 10-25-18 09:25 PM

Legacies (CW) -- Vampire Diaries & Originals spinoff -- Premieres 10/25/18

https://i.postimg.cc/c40YrN6F/Legacies.jpg

For the last decade, the iconic heroes and villains of The Vampire Diaries and The Originals have captivated audiences worldwide. They left an enduring legacy of love and family in their wake, which continues in LEGACIES, a thrilling new drama that tells the story of the next generation of supernatural beings at The Salvatore School for the Young and Gifted. It's here that Klaus Mikaelson's daughter, 17-year-old Hope Mikaelson; Alaric Saltzman's twins, Lizzie and Josie Saltzman; and other young adults - including political scion MG and the mysterious Landon Kirby - come of age in the most unconventional way possible, nurtured to be their best selves... in spite of their worst impulses. Will these young witches, vampires and werewolves become the heroes they want to be - or the villains they were born to be? As they fight to protect their secret, their town of Mystic Falls and eventually the world, they will have to rely on ancient folklore and tales to learn how to battle their far-reaching enemies. LEGACIES stars Danielle Rose Russell, Jenny Boyd, Kaylee Bryant, Quincy Fouse and Aria Shaghasemi, with Matt Davis. LEGACIES is from Warner Bros. Television and CBS Television Studios in association with My So-Called Company, with executive producers Julie Plec ("The Vampire Diaries"), Brett Matthews ("The Vampire Diaries"), Leslie Morgenstein ("The Vampire Diaries," "Pretty Little Liars") and Gina Girolamo ("The Originals").

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Aria Shahghasemi as Landon
· Danielle Rose Russell as Hope Mikaelson
· Jenny Boyd as Christina
· Kaylee Bryant as Bethanne
· Matt Davis as Alaric Saltzman
· Peyton Alex Smith as xRafael
· Quincy Fouse as M.G.

CREW INFORMATION:
· Brett Matthews as EP
· Gina Girolamo as EP
· Julie Plec as CRTR/EP
· Leslie Morgenstein as EP

This is a spinoff of both The Vampire Diaries and The Originals.

Matt Davis, who played Alaric returns.

and 2 of the main characters are the teen children of Alaric/Caroline and Klaus.

Julie Plec, who produced and was showrunner for both shows, is the showrunner of this series.

If you watched neither show, this is probably not for you.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_XF09xzl_T8" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I watched all 8 seasons of The Vampire Diaries, but never really watched The Originals, but I am familiar with all the characters, so I'll give this a look.

Tom Banjo 10-26-18 01:17 AM

Re: Legacies (CW) -- Vampire Diaries & Originals spinoff -- Premieres 10/25/18

The trailer looked good, but I bailed on VD sometime around season 4 or 5 and never watched The Originals, so I’m unsure whether I can check this out without being lost.

gerrythedon 10-26-18 01:37 AM

Watched all episodes of VD & OGs, so watching this also.

PhantomStranger 10-26-18 02:26 PM

Vampire Diaries Showrunner Julie Plec wrote the pilot. It felt a lot like Vampire Diaries: The Harry Potter Years.

The CW owes a great deal to Julie Plec, so I expect this to get renewed no matter what the ratings are this season.

You really don't need to have seen either Vampire Diaries or The Originals to figure out what's happening. There are a few references and three of the teen characters are technically from those shows, but this has a much different feel than either of those shows.

Koby 10-26-18 02:45 PM

I enjoyed the first episode more than I expected to. I saw all of TVD and Originals though.

Tom Banjo 10-26-18 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo (Post 13432564)
The trailer looked good, but I bailed on VD sometime around season 4 or 5 and never watched The Originals, so I’m unsure whether I can check this out without being lost.

I ended up watching it. Season pass set.
I didn’t feel lost like I was expecting to. There were a couple of things I didn’t quite get, like how Alaric has teen daughters, but I just rolled with it and assumed anything that didn’t jibe with my memories of VD were due to plots that occurred after I quit watching.
The Mikaelson daughter seems like a bit of a Mary Sue, though, or maybe just too overpowered.

PhantomStranger 10-28-18 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo (Post 13433012)
I ended up watching it. Season pass set.
I didn’t feel lost like I was expecting to. There were a couple of things I didn’t quite get, like how Alaric has teen daughters, but I just rolled with it and assumed anything that didn’t jibe with my memories of VD were due to plots that occurred after I quit watching.
The Mikaelson daughter seems like a bit of a Mary Sue, though, or maybe just too overpowered.

Alaric had twin baby daughters with a woman that had a powerful witch family lineage, near the tail end of Vampire Dairies. It's why his kids are superpowered. This show is set nearly a decade or more after the events seen in VD's last season.

Koby 10-29-18 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 13434033)
Alaric had twin baby daughters with a woman that had a powerful witch family lineage, near the tail end of Vampire Dairies. It's why his kids are superpowered. This show is set nearly a decade or more after the events seen in VD's last season.

They're also not typical witches, in that they get their power from draining it from other witches or magical objects, etc.

Caroline carried them to full term and raised them as if she was their mother. I hope we get to see more of Caroline as the series goes on.

Mon El (the actor lol) from Supergirl was their uncle on TVD.

But Yeah, this picks up from where The Originals left off, which had a few time skips after the TVD.

Kdogg 10-29-18 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Koby (Post 13434084)
They're also not typical witches, in that they get their power from draining it from other witches or magical objects, etc.

Caroline carried them to full term and raised them as if she was their mother. I hope we get to see more of Caroline as the series goes on.

Mon El (the actor lol) from Supergirl was their uncle on TVD.

But Yeah, this picks up from where The Originals left off, which had a few time skips after the TVD.

And eventually one will have to kill the other. It seems Lizzie favors her crazy uncle so money's on her winning.

DJariya 10-31-18 03:56 PM

https://tvline.com/2018/10/31/legaci...ven-r-mcqueen/

Steven McQueen, aka Elena’s brother Jeremy, will be guest starring on the show.

I did see the Pilot a few days ago and liked it. You can definitely watch it without having seen both shows to end. They do make a few casual mentions to the previous shows.

Timeline wise this has to take place at least 10 years after The Vampire Diaries since Alaric’s daughters are like 16 or 17 here.

Klaus is sort of mentioned to have died. I didn’t see The Originals to the end, so I didn’t know his fate.

It wouldn’t surprise me if they bring back Caroline at some point since she essentially raised Alaric’s daughters as her own even though they weren’t biologically hers.

Kdogg 10-31-18 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13435832)
https://tvline.com/2018/10/31/legaci...ven-r-mcqueen/

Steven McQueen, aka Elena’s brother Jeremy, will be guest starring on the show.

Timeline wise this has to take place at least 10 years after The Vampire Diaries since Alaric’s daughters are like 16 or 17 here.

Klaus is sort of mentioned to have died. I didn’t see The Originals to the end, so I didn’t know his fate.

It wouldn’t surprise me if they bring back Caroline at some point since she essentially raised Alaric’s daughters as her own even though they weren’t biologically hers.

Originals
Spoiler:

Caroline helps run the school so she will be around at some point. Hailey died at the hands of a memory wiped Elijah. Klaus and Elijah died to save Hope. Hope was responsible for both of those things. Kol and Rebecca are the last two Michelsons.

Kdogg 11-03-18 09:21 AM

After watching the second episode, this looks like a big break from Vampire Diaries and the Originals. It’s like Supernatural set at Hogwarts. It should be fun.

This show might be why they did not follow through with Wayward Sisters. That was going to be a similar monster of the week in one location show.

Koby 11-03-18 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Kdogg (Post 13437375)
After watching the second episode, this looks like a big break from Vampire Diaries and the Originals. It’s like Supernatural set at Hogwarts. It should be fun.

Yep, it's certainly a lot different than I expected, but it's refreshing.

PhantomStranger 11-04-18 03:01 PM

I thought I lost 20 IQ points watching the second episode's "football" game. That was one of the dumbest scenes I've seen on tv in recent memory.

Unclejosh 11-05-18 01:13 PM

I had to google to make sure it was safe to comment on but the lead actress is sure "healthy".

PhantomStranger 11-05-18 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Unclejosh (Post 13438419)
I had to google to make sure it was safe to comment on but the lead actress is sure "healthy".

What's weird is that they are practically writing Hope and Alaric as a couple. Even his daughters are showing jealousy towards her.

Kdogg 11-05-18 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 13438469)
What's weird is that they are practically writing Hope and Alaric as a couple. Even his daughters are showing jealousy towards her.

I think it’s more like favorite “daughter.” She been at the school since she was a little girl. One of the real daughters is so insecure she said he would stop loving them if they disappointed him. That’s not a healthy relationship between father and daughters. I’m waiting for “You love Hope more than you love your own daughters” episode.

DJariya 11-19-18 04:10 PM

I just got caught up with Legacies. The last couple of episodes that aired about the evil Gargoyle and the giant Spider were super campy and fun. I loved the spider episode. Too bad the spider episode killed off Dana. I liked her as a foyle to the Saltzman girls.

Aside from Alaric, we've now seen Matt and Jeremy from The Vampire Diaries. Although Jeremy's appearance was brief.

BTW, this was picked up for 3 extra episodes a few weeks ago. 16 episode season total.

PhantomStranger 11-20-18 04:16 PM

Matt appears to be a primary recurring character. I'm not sure that taller blonde half of the twins is a good enough actress to be a featured lead.

gerrythedon 11-30-18 01:10 AM

:( Tree Witch.

So was Tree Witch Landon's mom...?

Even though I woulda done that same thing, that kiss scene was fucking Cheesy.

PhantomStranger 11-30-18 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by gerrythedon (Post 13452964)

I don't think the Dryad was Landon's mother. The make-up for the Dryad was great. I kept thinking it would have been perfect for Poison Ivy.

Kdogg 11-30-18 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by gerrythedon (Post 13452964)

Landon’s mom’s pendant has the same design as the symbol the Dryad was writing. She’s connected to that monster prison that keeps sending things for the dagger.

Inhumans99 12-08-18 01:51 AM

This is a crazy fun show to watch and I have to say I was a bit surprised how graphic the zombie slaying was. As far as I am concerned they can keep doing monster of the week episodes all season long.

Also, yes...the Dryad effects, including her opening the cabin door with her roots was top notch, kudos to the special effects team for this show.

Baron Of Hell 12-08-18 03:35 PM

The zombie episode was pretty good. Fun side note. Marcel from The Original just played a zombie on Z Nation.

actionjackson29 12-10-18 02:05 AM

The zombie episode was definitely the best so far. The characters on this show are nowhere near as vicious as the ones on The Vampires Diaries and The Originals.