Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (Netflix) -- premieres 10/26/18

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (Netflix) -- premieres 10/26/18

Old 09-20-17, 01:53 PM

Received 514 Likes on 362 Posts
Sabrina the Teenage Witch ‘Riverdale’ Companion Series Coming To Netflix

As expected, The CW is looking to expand the Archie universe following the success of Riverdale.

A companion series centered on Archie comics character Sabrina, titled The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, is in the works at the younger-skewing network, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

The hourlong drama reimagines the story of Sabrina the Teenage Witch as a dark coming-of-age tale that traffics in horror, the occult and witchcraft, naturally. The new iteration is described as in the vein of Rosemary's Baby and The Exorcist and finds Sabrina wrestling to reconcile her dual nature as a half-witch, half-mortal while fighting the evil forces that threaten her, her family and the daylight world humans inhabit.

Riverdale showrunner Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa is penning the adaptation, which is being eyed as a companion for Riverdale that would potentially debut in the 2018-19 TV season. He will exec produce with Greg Berlanti, Sarah Schechter, Jon Goldwater and Lee Toland Krieger, who will direct the pilot should the project move forward. Berlanti Productions will produce in association with Warner Bros. TV.

The move to expand the Archie Comics TV universe is no surprise. Aguirre-Sacasa, who also serves as chief creative officer of Archie Comics, talked to THR about his plans beyond Riverdale ahead of the teen drama's January launch. "One of the nice things about me being a part of Archie Comics is having access to a library of 4,000-5,000 characters," he said. "Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Josie and the Pussycats … those are characters who can very easily support their own show. But we [also] have superheroes. So in success, yes, the goal is to expand that way."

Riverdale has since become an important part of The CW's schedule. It was the only freshman drama to earn a season two renewal and has enjoyed a nice boost since the entire first season became available on Netflix this past summer, which network president Mark Pedowitz touted to reporters in August at the Television Critics Association summer press tour. The show has also seen strong delayed viewing.

The high school-set series, also a darker take on the classic Archie Comics characters of Archie, Betty, Veronica and Jughead, will be used this fall to launch The CW's splashy Dynasty reboot.

The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina is one of two potential companion projects in development at The CW. The network is also readying a Supernatural spinoff titled Wayward Sisters that will air as a backdoor pilot sometime this season. The CW has had success in recent years with spinoffs such as The Flash and DC's Legends of Tomorrow, both of which were spun out from Arrow and are now part of the four-show Arrow-verse on the network that also includes CBS transplant Supergirl.

With more than 400 scripted shows on the air and counting, more and more networks are looking to spinoffs as a way to break through the clutter and attract viewers. NBC has three editions of Dick Wolf's Chicago franchise, and two iterations of his long-running Law & Order brand.

Beginning this fall, Fox will pair Lee Daniels' two music dramas Empire and Star on Wednesdays, including an official crossover between the two dramas. In addition to the three installments of NCIS, CBS is getting ready to launch the Big Bang Theory prequel series Young Sheldon this fall by pairing the two half-hours.

The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina also represents a homecoming of sorts for the character of Sabrina Spellman. Melissa Joan Hart memorably played the character in Sabrina the Teenage Witch. The half-hour, produced by Viacom Productions, ran on ABC for four seasons before moving to The WB its final three seasons. The comedy wrapped in 2003, three years before The WB would merge with UPN to become The CW.

The Sabrina project is part of a robust slate at Berlanti Productions. The prolific producer has a record-breaking 10 scripted series in the works.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...ebook_20171020
Old 09-20-17, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts
re: Sabrina the Teenage Witch ‘Riverdale’ Companion Series Coming To Netflix

Could be interesting. I have the graphic novel of the comic, but I haven't gotten around to reading it. If they were just doing 13 episodes of each series, then I think Lili Reinhart could be a good Sabrina too. It'll never happen since Riverdale is 22 episodes this season....
Old 09-22-17, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 145 Likes on 84 Posts

Apparently Dove Cameron dropped a hint on Twitter that implied she’s already been cast.
Old 09-22-17, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Riverdale wasn't that big of a ratings success but CW seems to be going crazy over pushing it. I'm starting to wonder if it's got a big following now with teens.
Old 09-22-17, 07:06 AM

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099 View Post
Riverdale wasn't that big of a ratings success but CW seems to be going crazy over pushing it. I'm starting to wonder if it's got a big following now with teens.
Over at Entertainment Weekly, they do a poll online to determine what show will be featured on the cover of the Fall Preview issue, and "Riverdale" won.
Old 09-22-17, 07:54 AM

Riverdale was definitely one of the biggest surprises for me last year.
Old 09-22-17, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 363 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy? View Post
Could be interesting. I have the graphic novel of the comic, but I haven't gotten around to reading it. If they were just doing 13 episodes of each series, then I think Lili Reinhart could be a good Sabrina too. It'll never happen since Riverdale is 22 episodes this season....
I don't get it, you'd want the actress who plays Betty to also be Sabrina? I'd think that would cause more confusion than anything else, even if the shows weren't related but just on the same network.

I think the Dove Cameron rumors started before this spinoff was announced, and she said something like she was a big fan and would do it if they asked. Then more recently this instagram with a phone emoji:
Old 09-22-17, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I don't get it, you'd want the actress who plays Betty to also be Sabrina? I'd think that would cause more confusion than anything else, even if the shows weren't related but just on the same network.

I think the Dove Cameron rumors started before this spinoff was announced, and she said something like she was a big fan and would do it if they asked. Then more recently this instagram with a phone emoji:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BYm_roCA...by=dovecameron
I just think she'd make a good Sabrina too. Like I said, it wouldn't ever happen.
Old 09-22-17, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
Apparently Dove Cameron dropped a hint on Twitter that implied she’s already been cast.
Hmmm.... I could go for this. I really liked her in Barely Lethal.
Old 09-23-17, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Awesome, Riverdale was my favorite new show last year. CW has become the only network that I watch.
Old 12-01-17, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 463 Likes on 344 Posts

http://deadline.com/2017/12/sabrina-...er-1202218168/

Officially picked up by Netflix. They ordered 2 seasons (20 episodes total)

Time for a thread title change.
Old 12-01-17, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

I liked the first season of Riverdale and have read a couple issues of the horror Sabrina, so I'd watch this.
Old 12-01-17, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 363 Likes on 278 Posts

I don't think Dove is going to get the role, though, unless she's going to be pulling double duty with Agents of SHIELD?
Old 01-05-18, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Sabrina the Teenage Witch ‘Riverdale’ Companion Series Coming To Netflix

Kiernan Shipka from Mad Men cast as Sabrina.

http://tvline.com/2018/01/05/kiernan...etflix-reboot/
Old 01-05-18, 05:57 PM

Not bad.
Old 01-07-18, 01:01 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I love the choice, she was excellent on Mad Men.
Old 02-16-18, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Lucy Davis from the UK Office has been cast to play Aunt Hilda. http://tvline.com/2018/02/16/sabrina...hilda-netflix/ I'm going to have to read the comic this is based on, The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. I have the trade paperback, but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. It sounds really dark.
Old 02-17-18, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Michelle Gomez has been cast to play Mary Wardell / Madam Satan. Great choice!
Old 02-17-18, 11:04 PM

Received 145 Likes on 84 Posts

Is this still supposed to be in the same world as Riverdale now that it’ll be on Netflix?
Old 02-18-18, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Wasn't really too high on this,but the first 3 names announced are rather impressive and more talented than the original show.
Old 02-18-18, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
Is this still supposed to be in the same world as Riverdale now that it’ll be on Netflix?
I think it might be since Netflix and The CW have a streaming deal in place. Sabrina shares EPs with Riverdale too. I think they said it will take place in Greendale which is close to Riverdale.
Old 02-20-18, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Miranda Otto has been cast as Aunt Zelda. http://tvline.com/2018/02/20/sabrina...-miranda-otto/
Old 03-14-18, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ross Lynch will be playing Harvey. http://deadline.com/2018/03/ross-lyn...es-1202337961/
Old 04-05-18, 02:58 PM

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 04-06-18, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm glad that they dyed Ross Lynch's hair. He and Kiernan would have looked like siblings if they kept his hair blonde.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.