TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (Netflix) -- premieres 10/26/18

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-18, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
re: Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (Netflix) -- premieres 10/26/18

Originally Posted by dex14
Ok, I’ll hold off on reading that, then, since I’m only 5 episodes in.
Old 10-29-18, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 314 Posts

I've watched the first three episodes and have been enjoying them, even though I'm sure this show is intended for people much younger than I.

I like how unabashed they are having the witches say "Hail Satan" and specifing their powers come from the dark side. It's like what certain religious people imagine the Harry Potter books to be like.

Interesting how although the show is set modern day, it's set in a world where most technologies stopped developing. All the cars are old, as are people's TVs, appliances, use of old flashbulb camera... I'm pretty sure the internet has never been mentioned.
Old 10-29-18, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

The weather was cold and miserable yesterday, so I stayed in and binged all ten episodes. It's a pretty slick production. The acting and cinematography are far more competent than any other supernatural teen series currently on US television -- and leagues better than the mediocre Charmed reboot. I don't think it hits the same emotional depths as something like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but I'll definitely be back for more.

Spoiler:
I didn't like how Agatha and Dorcas got by with murdering Tommy and four other innocent men. I know Sabrina wants to learn as much about the dark arts as she can, but having her join their clique by the finale (even if it's a fake out) felt like a dumb note to end things on. As much as she loves Harvey, I don't know why she would even want to be in the same room with those bitches after what they pulled.
I did love that the stained glass ceiling in the Spellman house was a visual nod to Suspiria. Sabrina squashing the flopping bat also seems like a clear homage to that film.

Another interesting tidbit: The song the witches choir were rehearsing in the fourth episode is an old Manson family tune (I believe it was written by Charlie himself). Super creepy.

<iframe width="496" height="372" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LurDYHL5mvE" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
I like how unabashed they are having the witches say "Hail Satan" and specifing their powers come from the dark side. It's like what certain religious people imagine the Harry Potter books to be like.
Yeah, I imagine the showrunners would have been asked to scale back the Satanic references if this was airing on the CW.

Last edited by joe_b; 10-29-18 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-29-18, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 809 Likes on 598 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Interesting how although the show is set modern day, it's set in a world where most technologies stopped developing. All the cars are old, as are people's TVs, appliances, use of old flashbulb camera... I'm pretty sure the internet has never been mentioned.
I thought there was a scene where Ambrose was sitting on the porch talking to Sabrina and he had a laptop in his lap. The comics this is based on are set in the 60's. I almost thought it was supposed to be in the 60's until they were talking about Cronenberg's Fly remake.
Old 10-29-18, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy?
I thought there was a scene where Ambrose was sitting on the porch talking to Sabrina and he had a laptop in his lap. The comics this is based on are set in the 60's. I almost thought it was supposed to be in the 60's until they were talking about Cronenberg's Fly remake.
You're right, we saw Ambrose with a laptop in the first (I think) episode.

It does pretty much seem to be the sixties. The main thing keeping it modern day (other than the occasional thing like Ambrose's laptop) is the high school girls' social and political "wokeness".
Old 10-29-18, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I saw an article that says it takes place in modern times but that the town or parts of it lived retro. Harvey has a smartphone in several scenes. Plus they have played music "in scene", not as part of the soundtrack that are newer than the 60's.
Old 10-29-18, 12:45 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Only watched about ten minutes so far, but it looks like they’re following the excellent recent comic series, so I’m expecting great things.
Old 10-29-18, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

I haven't watched this and probably never will, but I have a question from the ads I've seen. They say Sabrina is half-mortal, half witch. Are witches immortal? I always thought a typical witch could die.

If being a witch implies immortality, how can someone be half mortal and half immortal?
Old 10-29-18, 06:37 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
I haven't watched this and probably never will, but I have a question from the ads I've seen. They say Sabrina is half-mortal, half witch. Are witches immortal? I always thought a typical witch could die.

If being a witch implies immortality, how can someone be half mortal and half immortal?
Mother was a human, father was a witch. She could live for centuries before dying.
Old 10-30-18, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Not only do they age slower, but one episode mentioned that a pregnancy is 13 months for them.
Old 11-02-18, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 809 Likes on 598 Posts

I just finished the series. I'll spoiler my thoughts for those that haven't finished it.
Spoiler:
I was a bit disappointed that she signed the book and joined up with the weird sisters especially after what they did to Harvey's brother and the other miners that died. I wished she would have fooled the Dark Lord and called on the power of the light to save everyone. She's half mortal and was baptized so that should be possible. I hope they explore that side a little in part 2. I guess we'll have to wait until Halloween 2019 right?
Old 11-05-18, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Overall I enjoyed this. The main thing that struck me as odd was Zelda and Ambrose's changing attitudes to mortals. In the beginning they were indifferent to mortals in danger, but by the end they were both desperately trying to save them. It could easily be explained as Sabrina's influence on them, but they should have shown it in some way.

Ending spoilers:
Spoiler:
I sort-of understand Sabrina signing the book. I don't understand her going full-on The Craft at the end, though. I suppose that's what she referenced by she "awakened something dark inside of her," but it just felt pretty sudden.
Old 11-08-18, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 332 Likes on 175 Posts

The Satanic Temple is suing Netflix for $150 million for copyright infringement.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/08/the-...0-million.html

The Satanic Temple is suing Netflix and Warner Brothers for $150 million, saying the companies infringed on its copyrights, violated its trademark, and caused injury to its business reputation, according to court documents filed on Thursday in a New York district court.

At the center of the controversy is Baphomet, described in the court documents as "an androgynous goat-headed deity." A statue of the satanic god surrounded by children is featured in the Netflix series "The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina."
Old 11-08-18, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

It'll probably end up like what happened with the artwork in The Devil's Advocate.
Old 11-08-18, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,001 Likes on 621 Posts

What happened with the artwork in The Devil's Advocate?
Old 11-09-18, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
What happened with the artwork in The Devil's Advocate?
A sculptor sued Warner claiming that the sculpture shown in the climax of the movie was based off one of his works ("Ex Nihilo"). He won and they had to re-edit the movie and re-do the CGI for home release.
Old 11-09-18, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,192 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Yeah, that was a really dumb move to copy that Baphomet statue so closely. You would certainly think that Warner should have learned their lesson after what happened with The Devil's Advocate but apparently not.
Old 11-10-18, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Especially when the Satanic Temple basically exists to file lawsuits.

Wonder if they would have given them permission to use it if they asked nicely.
Old 11-10-18, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Wonder if they would have given them permission to use it if they asked nicely.
Doesn't sound like it. The reason they're suing is cause the series uses it in a negative light and they're afraid of how it makes the public eye see them, lol.
Old 11-12-18, 08:07 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Christmas is coming a little early for fans of Netflix’s Chilling Adventures of Sabrina: The streamer will release a bonus holiday episode of the witchy teen on Dec. 14. Dubbed Chilling Adventures of Sabrina: A Midwinter’s Tale, the special installment of the series will revolve around the Church of Night’s annual celebration of the Winter Solstice when, per a Netflix press release, “families gather around the Yule Fire to sing pagan carols and tell ghost stories … [and] you never know what might come down the chimney.” The Sabrina event will drop alongside a slew of sleigh-bell-centric specials, series, and movies slated to hit the streaming service over the next six or so weeks.

...while it’s being marketed as a special, it’s technically the 11th of 20 episodes Netflix ordered when it first greenlit the series. The remaining nine episodes of season one are finishing up production now and are expected to be released sometime in 2019. Because of an accelerated production schedule, it’s quite possible the second half of season one could debut in the first half of next year, shortening the usual one-year gap common for Netflix originals.
https://www.vulture.com/2018/11/chil...mXPiHQrvc98440
Old 11-21-18, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Finished this last night. Really enjoyed it.

I had 0 expectations and was pretty stunned how dark it gets, really good stuff.

Count me in for season 2
Old 11-25-18, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

More than calling it dark, I was surprised by its display of satanism. The magic and lore of Supernatural is kids stuff next to Sabrina.

I enjoyed it. I don’t think I’ve watched anything like it before.
Old 11-26-18, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Just wrapped it and really really enjoyed it. There was alot more Satan in it than I was expecting. But it's a very fun show.
Old 12-01-18, 10:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chilling Adventures of Sabrina Season 2 (April 5, 2019)

Looks good, but I can't believe season 2 is coming out so soon.

<iframe width="663" height="373" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SM64ZaS40Xs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by dex14; 12-17-18 at 07:11 AM. Reason: adjusted size on video
Old 12-01-18, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Chilling Adventures of Sabrina Season 2 (April 5, 2019)

It was a 20 episode order that they split into two seasons, so it's more like Season 1b.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.