DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Camping (HBO) -- S: Jennifer Garner, David Tennant -- Premieres 10/14/18 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/645516-camping-hbo-s-jennifer-garner-david-tennant-premieres-10-14-18-a.html)

DJariya 10-14-18 01:43 PM

Camping (HBO) -- S: Jennifer Garner, David Tennant -- Premieres 10/14/18

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-V6k37gNVG...ampinghbo.jpeg

CAMPING: Starring Jennifer Garner and David Tennant, this eight-episode series tells the story of a back-to-nature camping trip that quickly becomes a weekend of tested marriages and woman-on-woman crime that won't soon be forgotten. Written and executive produced by Lena Dunham, Jenni Konner and John Riggi; executive produced by Julia Davis for Hush Ho, Christine Langan for Baby Cow Productions, Ilene S. Landress and Tom Lassally; co-executive produced by Adam Countee; pilot directed by Jenni Konner; based on the British series of the same name created by Julia Davis and produced by Baby Cow Productions. Debuts Oct. 14.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Arturo Del Puerto as Miguel
· Brett Gelman as George
· Bridget Everett as Harry
· David Tennant as Walt
· Ione Skye as Carleen
· Janicza Bravo as Nina-Joy
· Jennifer Garner as Kathryn McSorley-Jodell
· Juliette Lewis as Jandice

CREW INFORMATION:
· Adam Countee as CO-EP
· Christine Langan as EP
· Ilene S. Landress as EP
· Jenni Konner as CRTR/EP/DIR (Pilot)
· John Riggi as CRTR/EP
· Julia Davis as EP/CRTR (U.K. Series)
· Lena Dunham as CRTR/EP
· Tom Lassally as EP

8 episode season

from the creators of Girls

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kkwrM9s2NqY" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

andicus 10-14-18 01:49 PM

Re: Camping (HBO) -- S: Jennifer Garner, David Tennant -- Premieres 10/14/18

I'll give it a try, but I just can't see this comparing to the UK version. Julia Davis is unique.

Bill Needle 10-15-18 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by andicus (Post 13425486)
I'll give it a try, but I just can't see this comparing to the UK version. Julia Davis is unique.

Yeah, HBO could have saved a lot of time and money and just aired the UK version and come off far better for it. It's not as if the original was 'too British,' and there was zero chance an American remake would go anywhere near where Julia Davis goes. I seriously wonder what was the point of even attempting this?

I gave it a shot because of Brett Gelman. Sadly (and predictably) this had every problem you would expect of a remake. Garner was a particularly horrible casting choice. I typically like Juliet Lewis, but she didn't stand a chance in attempting to pull off Davis' role. The rest of the cast was exquisitely banal.

If you've seen the original, stay far, far away from this. On the other hand, if you hate comedy this may be your spot of tea.

Bill Needle 10-15-18 01:16 AM

Update to add that as I posted the above a promo for an actual Julia Davis show on HBO called 'Sally4Ever' aired giving a premier date of November 11.

I can strongly recommend this show sight unseen.

hdtv00 10-15-18 09:11 AM

I wanted to turn it off in 10 minutes, I held out to half way point. Yea know this is unwatchable on so many levels.

andicus 10-18-18 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle (Post 13425772)
Update to add that as I posted the above a promo for an actual Julia Davis show on HBO called 'Sally4Ever' aired giving a premier date of November 11.

I can strongly recommend this show sight unseen.

I will definitely watch that!

windom 12-06-18 05:43 PM

Now that this over, did anyone actually finish this besides me?

The whole thing was pretty bad. Most of the actors were wasted.

Bill Needle 12-06-18 10:16 PM

In a way I'm glad to know the show stayed the awful course. One of my viewing weaknesses is that once I decide I'm going to watch something I'll stick with it well beyond realizing it is totally undeserving of my attention. Luckily I resisted the urge this time. It's best this idiotic attempt at a remake quickly disappears into the dustbin of history and those responsible are quietly fired and blacklisted from the business.

andicus 12-06-18 10:32 PM

I finished it, and yes, it was bad.

I enjoyed the UK version, but I'd have to watch it again to remember why. Apart from Julia Davis.