DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Walking Dead (S9E02) -- "The Bridge" -- 10/14/18 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/645515-walking-dead-s9e02-bridge-10-14-18-a.html)

DJariya 10-14-18 01:38 PM

The Walking Dead (S9E02) -- "The Bridge" -- 10/14/18

https://images.amcnetworks.com/amc.c...incoln-935.jpg

"The Walking Dead" season nine continues on Sunday, October 14th at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT. On the all-new episode, "The Bridge," the communities join forces to restore a bridge that will facilitate communication and trade, meanwhile, someone is gravely injured at the construction site. The episode is written by David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick and directed by Daisy Mayer.

TGM 10-14-18 06:08 PM

Re: The Walking Dead (S9E02) -- "The Bridge" -- 10/14/18

oh noes
somebody I don't care about is gravely injured!

DthRdrX 10-14-18 09:09 PM

I think the show is finally showing forward progress and is watchable again. Time will tell.

Coral 10-14-18 11:41 PM

So the crew that's out working with exposure to possible walkers aren't supplied with a walkie-talkie of their own so the lookout can't warn them ahead of time of possible danger? How about at least providing them with some weapons?

They had plenty of reasons before, but after Negan's little speech - I'm not sure how killing him isn't the best/safest thing for Rick to do. He's proven that he'll never change, and it seems like he has something up his sleeve - why waste food and risk even the slightest chance of danger by keeping him alive?

cdollaz 10-15-18 08:08 AM

Yeah,

Spoiler:
I stopped reading the comics when they kept Negan alive.
It was just so stupid.

We'll see how the show plays this story line.

Cusm 10-15-18 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 13425754)
So the crew that's out working with exposure to possible walkers aren't supplied with a walkie-talkie of their own so the lookout can't warn them ahead of time of possible danger? How about at least providing them with some weapons?

They had plenty of reasons before, but after Negan's little speech - I'm not sure how killing him isn't the best/safest thing for Rick to do. He's proven that he'll never change, and it seems like he has something up his sleeve - why waste food and risk even the slightest chance of danger by keeping him alive?

In a society that has plenty of materials and good "policing" it makes sense to try and rehabilitate or imprison someone long term. In a TEOTWAWKI where you have limited society restored and everything is a delicate balancing act, you can not keep the biggest devil, especially one with a large number of former followers, alive and waiting and plotting his return. Gregory is what you do to them, remove the danger. They are not relocating walkers ten miles down the road pointed in the opposite direction, they put them down, REMOVE THE DANGER.

movieguru 10-15-18 09:08 AM

If they kill Negan, then they will eliminate possible stories they can do down the road. Just like why they never execute super villains in comic books after defeated and captured. In story, doesn't make much sense.

The Walking Dead comics has some good story arcs around Negan's rehibilitation, but it still hard to trust him or know if he is just pretending or not. Don't know if they'll go the same route in the tv series, but with Rick leaving they'll have to act quick to advance that plot, or use Michonne or Maggie to forgive Megan, but Maggie is possible leaving as well. So that would leave Michonne for that plot.

windom 10-15-18 10:23 AM

It seems that I read a list of spoilers for this season on Twitter a few weeks ago. I thought it was just some nonsense, but they mentioned Aaron losing his hand. Luckily, I can't seem to remember any of the other spoilers they mentioned.

So Jadis wants Gabriel now? She wanted Rick previously. I thought she was into alpha guys, not betas.

movieguru 10-15-18 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by windom (Post 13425903)
It seems that I read a list of spoilers for this season on Twitter a few weeks ago. I thought it was just some nonsense, but they mentioned Aaron losing his hand. Luckily, I can't seem to remember any of the other spoilers they mentioned.

So Jadis wants Gabriel now? She wanted Rick previously. I thought she was into alpha guys, not betas.

It seems they want to push multi-racial black/white relationships. Now we have four. Between biracial and homosexual relationships, it hasn't left much more room for more "standard" relationships. It feels like they are putting too much effort to try and be politically correct that if feels like they are going overboard now.

andicus 10-15-18 11:09 AM

What does it matter what colour/race the relationships are between?

What room needs to be left for 'standard' relationships?

I just don't get the point of your comment. They're all just relationships.

Josh-da-man 10-15-18 12:16 PM

Where the hell is Heath?

Looks like gave the story of Heath’s leg to Aaron’s arm.

General Zod 10-15-18 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by movieguru (Post 13425931)
It seems they want to push multi-racial black/white relationships. Now we have four. Between biracial and homosexual relationships, it hasn't left much more room for more "standard" relationships. It feels like they are putting too much effort to try and be politically correct that if feels like they are going overboard now.

Agreed. It did seem odd that of the 4 relationship they are tracking that all of them are mixed somehow. I think it's a observation worth pointing out that the show is really going out of their way to showcase it much more than we see on most other shows.

story 10-15-18 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by movieguru (Post 13425931)

It must be challenging to have one show on one cable television network showcase a handful of relationships that aren't "standard" for your context, so big is the handful that it's noticeable. One wonders when they will return to showcasing more "standard" relationships so all people feel represented. Maybe some day in the future.

windom 10-15-18 01:33 PM

It's time for Eugene to get some love. There has to be at least one woman with Asperger's out of all these communities.

Of course, Daryl is long overdue. They seemed to be hinting at it with Aaron mentioning him being a father one day. The Jadis thing might have made more sense if it had been Daryl instead.

It's gonna be extra hard for Aaron to change those explosive diapers with only one hand.

Josh-da-man 10-15-18 01:50 PM

Eugene hooked up with Rosita in the comics.

And then... Ah... not telling. :)

General Zod 10-15-18 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13426064)
Eugene hooked up with Rosita in the comics.

And then... Ah... not telling. :)

He got a haircut?

Coral 10-15-18 03:23 PM

There are 4 black/white relationships now? I can only think of 3, Rick/Michonne, Shakespeare/Carol and Garbage Lady/Gabriel. What's the 4th?

We also had Sasha/Abraham back in the day.

I'm just shocked we have so many black characters that are still alive. There was a time where it seemed like if there were two black characters, we knew one of them was going to die soon.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13425989)
Where the hell is Heath?

Looks like gave the story of Heath’s leg to Aaron’s arm.

I had to google who that was. Wasn't the last time we saw him was over a bridge with a bunch of cars or something and I think they tried to fool us into thinking he was dead or something? I guess they just Chuck Cunningham'd him. Heath was missing a leg?

Josh-da-man 10-15-18 03:42 PM

Yeah... Heath went missing on a trip to Oceanside and hasn’t been heard from since.

I think he was temporarily written out because the actor had some films to work on... he was in Kong: Skull Island and BlacKkKlansman recently.

In the comics the character lost a leg, from either a bomb or grenade — don’t recall which, during the conflict with Negan.

DthRdrX 10-15-18 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by movieguru (Post 13425865)
If they kill Negan, then they will eliminate possible stories they can do down the road. Just like why they never execute super villains in comic books after defeated and captured. In story, doesn't make much sense.

The Walking Dead comics has some good story arcs around Negan's rehibilitation, but it still hard to trust him or know if he is just pretending or not. Don't know if they'll go the same route in the tv series, but with Rick leaving they'll have to act quick to advance that plot, or use Michonne or Maggie to forgive Megan, but Maggie is possible leaving as well. So that would leave Michonne for that plot.

I have a feeling Negan will take over for Rick on the TV show. With Maggie being gone that could be a great possibility. I'm not sure how Daryl would handle that though.

General Zod 10-15-18 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 13425754)

And I think it's pretty obvious at this point that the people who were following him are going to do so regardless of if he's alive or dead. I mean it would be so simple to just say that his neck got all infected and he died and that would be the end of that.

I'd be a terrible TV writer.

movieguru 10-16-18 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by andicus (Post 13425935)
What does it matter what colour/race the relationships are between?

What room needs to be left for 'standard' relationships?

I just don't get the point of your comment. They're all just relationships.

The point is they are doing it on purpose to look edgy or PC and it just looks too forced. It would be like have an ensemble show focused on the lives of high school students and you decided to have a character that comes out as being tran, but then within a season or two 3 more characters come out as well.

movieguru 10-16-18 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 13426141)
There are 4 black/white relationships now? I can only think of 3, Rick/Michonne, Shakespeare/Carol and Garbage Lady/Gabriel. What's the 4th?

We also had Sasha/Abraham back in the day.

Jerry and Nabila from The Kingom.

VinVega 10-16-18 09:56 AM

Still watching. If I had to guess, Negan takes over the group. Rick dies or appears to die. Daryl heads off to a spin-off show. That’s all I got.

Coral 10-16-18 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by movieguru (Post 13426480)
Jerry and Nabila from The Kingom.

Thanks, I had to google who Jerry was - and then remembered him... then I google'd Nabila and I don't remember her. I saw Jerry kiss someone, but didn't get a good look at what the person looked like.

This show has had a SHIT-ton of characters come through where we were told their names. Has to be at least 100... maybe 150?
I don't think we've come across any characters who shared the same first name (not including Maggie who named her son after her father) - which would be impossible odds.

General Zod 10-16-18 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by VinVega (Post 13426627)
Still watching. If I had to guess, Negan takes over the group. Rick dies or appears to die. Daryl heads off to a spin-off show. That’s all I got.

Didn't watch last season but my wife wanted to watch this season since it will be the last. According to her when Rick goes - the show goes. It started with him and it will end with him (at least as far the viewers are concerned). So we've been watching.

I think Negan will take control of half the group and Daryl the other and they'll be back at war and fighting walkers and just regurgitating old scripts and ideas.

But who knows.. I thought The Office and Two and a Half Men weren't going to go more than a season without their main characters and they kept going but all with extremely downward viewership.