Reload this Page >

The Conners (ABC) — Season 1 Thread — premieres 10/16/18

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Conners (ABC) — Season 1 Thread — premieres 10/16/18

Old 10-19-18, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: The Conners (ABC) — Season 1 Thread — premieres 10/16/18

Originally Posted by jacob_b View Post
Because you are a liar unless you can show the article where Roseanne said Goodman did not know her where she very vocally said he did. And the reason Goodman didn't go out the second after her tweet is because the man suffers from depression. He talked about how he was depressed for the first month or so after the show got canceled. Got to remember her suffered from a very big drinking problem as well. If you saw the TMZ photos of Goodman when it was first announced the show got canceled, he looked awful. He stayed very silent but he never, at any time, attacked Roseanne like the other cast members. Her TV kids, yeah, they went after her. But you just cannot say the entire cast did when Goodman never made any bad remarks about her.
I never once said the entire cast went after her. I said no one came to her defense at the beginning. Regardless of depression. Learn how to read.
Old 10-19-18, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Roseanne's absence had absolutely no negative effect on the show. In fact, I thought this was better than all the episodes last season.

I always found Roseanne Barr and the Roseanne character annoying, so her not being on the show automatically gives the shows score and extra point. Barr's a piece of shit, so I hope her career is over.

Also, Goodman's lost a good amount of weight - but there's something off about him. He looks to be struggling a bit when he's walking and just looks like he's battling a sickness of some sort. He's only 66 years old, so it's possible all those years of abuse to his body is causing problems for him now despite the weight loss.
I can't speak for Goodman in real life, but the Dan character has a bad back -- it was actually a running plot point last season, and was one of the reasons they were putting off Roseanne's knee surgery.

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
For some odd reason I think the producers are purposely making Dan look sickly on the show. I’ve seen recent interviews with Goldman and he doesn’t look nearly as bad as they have him looking on the show.

I mostly enjoyed the episode but the timeline of her death seemed a little off. They said she had died 3 weeks ago but the family was talking about her nonstop as if it had just happened a few days prior. Then the kid who had to make a choice about which boy to sit next to on the bus was apparently a conversation that hadn’t been finished with Roseanne, seemingly almost a month ago, but was apparently an urgent matter now.
Well, he did just lose the love of his life after 45 years together.

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
What also didn't really make sense, except for plot, was when Jackie went to Dan to tell him about the autopsy results. It appeared the daughters were acting as the executors for Roseanne and Jackie was not. Yet the coroner calls Jackie to telll her that Roseanne died of an overdose. Doesn't seem logical as I doubt they have a home phone anymore, so the coroner would call a cell phone of one of the daughters and not Jackie. I would suspect that giving out that information to Jackie would be a HIPPA violation as well.
I believe Jackie mentioned the call was from a friend of her's at the medical examiner's office (presumably from when she was a police officer?) who wanted to give her a heads up.
Old 10-20-18, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Another interesting development:

https://people.com/tv/matthew-broder...love-interest/
Old 10-20-18, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not really what I would call “an interesting development”. It’s a casting announcement unrelated to anything “controversial”.
Old 10-21-18, 12:32 PM

Maybe Fox will make Roseanne an offer and she'll come back with a whole new family and continue her show. That would be hilarious. What with LMS having great success I don't doubt that Roseanne would have success as well.
Old 10-21-18, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

With Roseanne out of the way, Dan and Jackie should hook up. I can remember, back in the day, that there sometimes seemed to be a bit of attraction between the two characters.
Old 10-21-18, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nah, they should have just come back to the new season with Sarah Chalke playing Roseanne. Make a few jokes about the weight-loss surgery, but keep moving on and never really address it.
Old 10-21-18, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

With the biggest character of the show gone, you figure they would give DJ more than a single line each episode. I think they only gave him one line in the season premiere, and it was just a joke about him being invisible. I wonder how much the actor gets paid per episode for such little work.
Old 10-23-18, 09:10 PM

Meh...tonight's episode was okay. Juliette Lewis seems like a good fit for David.
Old 10-23-18, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Tonight's episode definitely struggled without Roseanne IMO. Overall it was just o.k. A few laughs. Some awkward pacing and moments. But she was sorely missed. I'll continue watching and hope the show can stand on it's own two feet. But if it can't, I hope ABC fixes what they broke. Doubtful that will happen. And who knows, maybe it's too late and that ship has sailed. Or that anyone cares at this point. Again, I'm just being hopeful.
Old 10-24-18, 11:31 AM

No comments on the second episode? There will definitely be a Becky intervention episode this year, count on it.

I thought it was interesting that despite the fact that both Johnny Galecki characters (David on Roseanne, and Leonard on Big Bang Theory) are similar wimpy guys, Galecki makes them distinctly different.
Old 10-24-18, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
No comments on the second episode?
The two comments above yours are about the second episode.
Old 10-24-18, 11:41 AM

How the hell did I miss that?
Old 10-24-18, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I did not watch the episodes from last season, so was Becky's alcoholism already well established and known by the family?

Dan struck me as a real asshole in this episode.

He confronts his daughter about being an alcoholic, and when she comes to him to admit her problem, he snaps at her, "WHAT'S YOUR PLAN!?"

Addiction just killed his wife, one might expect he would show some compassion towards Becky and interest in what he could do to help her.
Old 10-24-18, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
I did not watch the episodes from last season, so was Becky's alcoholism already well established and known by the family?

He confronts his daughter about being an alcoholic, and when she comes to him to admit her problem, he snaps at her, "WHAT'S YOUR PLAN!?"

Addiction just killed his wife, one might expect he would show some compassion towards Becky and interest in what he could do to help her.
Just re-watched this episode and enjoyed it more the second time. Had too many distractions before. To answer your question, they showed Becky drinking during the day once. She went to make a Bloody Mary at Dan and Roseanne's house, but they didn't have any tomato juice so she just drank Vodka straight up with a celery stalk. And I think I saw her do a shot once at work. But that was it. About Dan. When Becky approached him and said that she didn't think she could go a whole day without drinking, and wanted to continue working for him, he said to her very calmly, "I wanna hear a plan". He didn't snap at her at all. No voices were ever raised. So I didn't think he was an asshole. He seemed very compassionate and concerned.
Old 10-25-18, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Realistically, pretty much every adult on the show should be an alcoholic (and smoker).
Old 10-25-18, 12:53 PM

I agree with Daytripper also. I think he handled it fine especially since he believed his late wife when she indicated she was not using pain pills. He seemed to figure I lost one now wants to know her plan. Then again, it's just a TV show.
Old 10-25-18, 03:09 PM

It was definitely touched upon. Don't remember every episode, but I do remember her wanting to get drunk before a date.
Old 10-30-18, 11:05 PM

Yeah, I don't think there will be another season of The Conners after this one. That was the WORST Halloween episode, ever!
Old 10-30-18, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
Yeah, I don't think there will be another season of The Conners after this one. That was the WORST Halloween episode, ever!
Yes, it was the worst Halloween episode ever. But let's wait and see how the rest of the season plays out.
Old 10-31-18, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Couldn’t have been any worse than the Jerry Garcia one, or the Rosemary’s Baby one, could it?
Old 10-31-18, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought Darlene's confrontation with The Principal hardly defined her "going psycho". The job interview sort of just laid there, too, unless they're coming back to it. Maybe it's just that I find Gilbert a bland lead.
Old 10-31-18, 11:08 AM

These episodes aren't bad, they just feel...incomplete. Like they sit in a room, workshop a few ideas for plots, then sit down at a word processor and when they get to page 22 they realize they have a full episode.
Old 10-31-18, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

ABC has ordered one more episode (single episode orders are usually a finale). At this point it doesn't look like it will survive the season.

Maybe they bring Rosanne back for that one.

Last edited by General Zod; 10-31-18 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-31-18, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This was the 2nd highest rated show of the night, but a certain "news" source is reporting that The Conners was "beaten by everything" last night. This false report seems to be getting picked up by a lot of other places.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.