Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

DC's Titans (DC Universe) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 10/12/18

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-11-18, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

From executive producers Akiva Goldsman, Geoff Johns, and Greg Berlanti, TITANS follows a group of young soon-to-be Super Heroes recruited from every corner of the DC Universe. In this action-packed series, Dick Grayson emerges from the shadows to become leader of a fearless band of new heroes, including Starfire, Beast Boy, Raven and others.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
∑ Alan Ritchson as Hawk
∑ Anna Diop as Starfire
∑ April Bowlby as Rita Farr/Elasti-Girl
∑ Brenton Thwaites as Dick Grayson
∑ Bruno Bichir as Niles "The Chief" Caulder
∑ Lindsey Gort as Amy Rohrbach
∑ Minka Kelly as Dove
∑ Ryan Potter as Garfield "Gar" Logan
∑ Seamus Dever
∑ Teagan Croft as Raven

CREW INFORMATION:
∑ Akiva Goldsman as CRTR/EP
∑ Greg Berlanti as CRTR/EP
∑ Marc Haimes as CRTR/CO-EP (TNT)
∑ Sarah Schechter as EP

11 episode 1st season

Will be available tomorrow on DC Universe.

Already renewed for a 2nd season

If you live outside the U.S., it will be available on Netflix

The series will be posted 1 episode per week like a normal TV series.

I have no clue how many here are even subscribed to DC Universe or will be watching overseas on Netflix. So activity in this thread will be a huge question mark.

If you choose to subscribe now, the show will lead into another DC Universe original Young Justice season 3 in January. Titans is going to run through the end of December.

Edit: Had to correct myself. The time was actually not confirmed. It's not known yet.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-11-18 at 10:02 PM.
Old 10-11-18, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: DC's Titans (DC Universe) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 10/12/18

Had no idea Seamus Dever was in this. Good for him.
Old 10-12-18, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Watched the first episode , awesome ! the most violent and adult (but appropriately so) superhero show on TV, surpassing the Marvel netflix series

awesome characters so far (love Raven) , great casting, definitely getting some Manimal flashbacks lol

a solid A
Old 10-12-18, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well that was definitely...interesting. First this show is definitely violent, so keep your kids away. Someone is shot through the eye, someone vomits up blood and Robin is pretty brutal.

First I was surprised it took place in Detroit. Did I like it? Eh thought it was a bit of a mixed bag. I really like Raven, and I think Thwaites makes a great Dick Grayson/Robin. I also liked what I saw from Beast Boy(CGI kind of sucked though).

The big weakness for me was Starfire. She just looks....goofy. I kind of feel that her look would have looked better on an actress who was either white, Latina or Asian. Just every time Starfire is onscreen I thought she looked laughable. Plus Diop didn't really knock it out acting wise(though to be fair, she doesn't have much chance to).

I'm in for next week. This really feels like one of the Netflix Marvel shows so if you like those you will probably like this. I only liked Daredevil and Punisher and thought this was about the same level as them(haven't seen IF:2 yet and hated both seasons of Luke Cage and Jessica Jones).
Old 10-12-18, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by robin2099 View Post
Well that was definitely...interesting. First this show is definitely violent, so keep your kids away. Someone is shot through the eye, someone vomits up blood and Robin is pretty brutal.

First I was surprised it took place in Detroit. Did I like it? Eh thought it was a bit of a mixed bag. I really like Raven, and I think Thwaites makes a great Dick Grayson/Robin. I also liked what I saw from Beast Boy(CGI kind of sucked though).

The big weakness for me was Starfire. She just looks....goofy. I kind of feel that her look would have looked better on an actress who was either white, Latina or Asian. Just every time Starfire is onscreen I thought she looked laughable. Plus Diop didn't really knock it out acting wise(though to be fair, she doesn't have much chance to).

I'm in for next week. This really feels like one of the Netflix Marvel shows so if you like those you will probably like this. I only liked Daredevil and Punisher and thought this was about the same level as them(haven't seen IF:2 yet and hated both seasons of Luke Cage and Jessica Jones).
The early reviews mentioned that Diop was the standout, so maybe it's just a lack of time for her character in the first episode?

I'm still hoping they ditch that coat (do they explain why she has it?) but I have yet to see a single image of her without it unless she's on the operating table (or whatever).
Old 10-12-18, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

A couple of members of Doom Patrol are in this?
Old 10-12-18, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
A couple of members of Doom Patrol are in this?
Well, Beast Boy/Changeling is related to the Doom Patrol. But I think they recast some of the actors, I know the Chief is different between the two series.
Old 10-12-18, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm still hoping they ditch that coat (do they explain why she has it?) but I have yet to see a single image of her without it unless she's on the operating table (or whatever).
It's justified because of the location that she's in but thats mainly it. I cant really spoil that part since it's a pretty out their location.
Old 10-12-18, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To me the difference between this show and the Marvel netflix shows violence wise is that Marvel shows have generally tried to 'normalise' the super powers.

Also there was very very little super powered violence as such. I can't recall Danny Rand using the iron fist directly on a normal human and making them explode into little pieces. I can't recall Luke cage crushing a normal human to death with his bare hands

In this show, super powers were used violently and directly on regular humans which i loved
Old 10-12-18, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Original Desmond View Post
To me the difference between this show and the Marvel netflix shows violence wise is that Marvel shows have generally tried to 'normalise' the super powers.

Also there was very very little super powered violence as such. I can't recall Danny Rand using the iron fist directly on a normal human and making them explode into little pieces. I can't recall Luke cage crushing a normal human to death with his bare hands

In this show, super powers were used violently and directly on regular humans which i loved
I mean, if that's what you like than go for it, but that's not exactly a glowing endorsement to me on a team filled with supposed teenagers. It's good that they don't have any restrictions (well at least in terms of violence), though.
Old 10-12-18, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I enjoyed it. Robin and Raven are amazing. Not sold on Starfire yet but it's early.

Hard to believe it's been 21 years since we've had a live action Robin.
Old 10-13-18, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Scene for scene breakdown of episode one because I was bored.

Spoiler:

The show starts off with Raven. She seems to be hurting her mother by accident with her powers which come off as demonic and not well defined. Some dude comes by the house and kills her mother in front of her. However, the guy forces the mom to tell her she isn't her real mom before he kills her. Raven then lets loose her powers in a fit of rage killing the guy. She then runs off to Detroit.

We See Robin and he is a cop with a bad attitude. He just got a sexy new partner so why he so mad? Anyway at night he is the Robin Man. We see him take down a bunch dudes punisher style minus the killing. He break bones, rubs a guys face in glass, bashes a guyís head in, and generally beats the living hell out of these guys. Seriously, I think they took their inspiration from this scene from The Punisher netflix show.

We go back to Raven. She takes a bus to Detroit, I thought it would be gotham. Once in Detroit she goes to homeless shelter. Here a lady tries to help her by taking her to shelter for kids. On the way to shelter reflections of Raven keep telling her its a trap. Raven listen to the reflections and makes a run for it. She gets a cop to stop for her by throwing a rock at her car. The cop doesn't shoot her noticing she is not a unarmed black guy. Instead the cop takes her in and brings her to Robin the wonderful boy cop. Raven is surprising calm considering she watched the person she thought was her mom die a few hours ago.

When then go to Starfire or girl that the racists are made because she black. Listen people, Starfire is orange in the comics. She is from a different planet. Take the racism down a little for a day. If you want to mad about not covering her sexy body in orange body paint then fine but donít bring that she canít be play by black actress in here. Thatís just dumb.

Ok yeah, where was I. Starfire, ok we see her in a car that has crashed. We donít know why it has crashed. She gets out of the wreckage and car comes by with the people inside shooting at her. She gets away by hiding behind a tree.

The next scene is of her in a gas station going through her stuff. It seems like she doesn't remember who she is or she has taken over someone elseís body. Looks as her passport and says her name over and over like she never heard it before.

Then the scene changes with Starfire arriving at a high end hotel. The staff knows her an applies she has been screwing one of them and ask if she would like more of the same. She declines and opts for just coffee for now. This entire thing is weird because now she is actively trying to act like whoever she is suppose to be but we donít know why.

Once Starfire gets to her room, which is the entire top floor of the hotel, she finds a dude tied up. They man tells her they found the girl and can get her. Iím guessing he is talking about Raven or maybe her sister. However, Starfire isnít interested in some girl she wants to know what her name is, but the says he doesn't know who she really is.

The guy breaks a glass and uses it to free himself. He then attacks Starfire. Starfire breaks a few of his bones and then knocks him across the room with one super powered punch. She seems shocked that she has powers. She then gets him to reveal the name of some guy on her phone and his location. She then breaks his neck after promising to help him. Now Iím thinking this is probably Blackfire, Starfireís sister. Or this is completely different version of Starfire. Hey Titan has killed someone so far.

We then go back to Robin and Raven. Raven is telling Robin how she remembers his life history including his parents dying in the circus. She grabs his hand and we see flashbacks of the flying graysons dying. We also see Bruce Wayne come to comfort Dick and bring him home with him. Interestingly Robin doesn't see any of the flashbacks only Raven.

Robin leaves to check out Ravenís story. While Robin is out a cop comes by to transfer Raven to a room with other kids. The cop is actually kidnapping her. Robin returns just in time to see her being taken away.

The scene changes to Starfire or Blackfire at a dance club. She finds the owner and his men. She tries to get them to tell her who she is but the owner isnít having any of that. The owner is mad because he loved her and she betrayed him but he doesnít say how. Instead the owner shoots at StarBlckFire. The bullet melts before hitting her and she unleashes the phoenix. The room is completely covered in fire burning the men to ash. StarBlackFire is like WTF did I just do, is that new xman movie about me? In the fire she finds a picture of a girl with a name on it. I guess that is the girl the guy told her she was looking for. On her way out she laughs at the carnage she caused. Why canít we have nice friendly Starfire. I donít know about this version. She is hot though. Oh and she did turn orange for a bit when releasing the fire. That was also hot, literally. Here is a funny aside. Every time I play a game where I can customize the character I play a black girl with red hair. No reason why. Maybe the next one I make Iíll call starfire or blackfire.

At this point I would call this show a hot mess but Iím digging it.

We change scenes to Raven waking up tied to a chair in some creepy room lit with candles. Is the room also lit with candles or did they do that just for her. The guy holding her seems kind of crazy. He is telling her she will destroy the world and that she is a doorway. I think he is the keymaster and will soon pulled down his pants to open the doorway. Then the Stay Puff Marshmallow man will be born and the world will be destroyed. That doesntí happen maybe it will in the next episode.

Oh wait crazy guy just wants to kill her so she canít give birth to the marshmellow man. Ok, why didnít he just killing her when she was knocked out? He brings out a big knife to show her instead of stabbing her with the knife. Why do villains always have to tell the victims their evil plans instead of just killing them.

Well just as you thought Robin gets here just in time to save the day. Batman would be so proud. But way Raven passes out and then wakes up as Evil Raven. She then copies Shang Tsungís finisher move and forces herself into crazy guyís mouth. She then kills from the inside out. Blood goes everywhere as the guy dies in pain. The announcer yells FLAWLESS VICTORY, FATALITY. Robin arrives on the scene just missing the mortal kombat event. He also knows his character sucked in the Injustice video game so he was happen he missed it.

The scene changes to Robin and Raven getting into a nice expensive ride. Robin says he is taking her someplace safe. He is probably going to make her into his underage sidekick. Her name will be Robinís Robin.

New scene. Now we are at a video game store and guard finds a tiger messing up the game shelves. No this is really what happens. Iím guessing it is Beast Boy. Why he is screwing up a store I donít know. Note there is A doom patrol movie in the works that has Best Boy in it. Iím guessing his character will be killed off before the movie comes out. They almost never let two versions of character exist at the same time.

Anyway the tiger runs off and changes into a boy. And the boy has a video game in his hand. I didn't see a video game in the tigerís mouth. In fact the tiger roared before leaving so Iím sure it wasn't carrying anything. This show is so phony and fake. Iím done with this show. First black StarBlackFire and now this. F this show. Iím refuse to watch it for at least a week.

Old 10-13-18, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It was alright. Gonna give it a couple of more episodes.
Old 10-13-18, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It was an interesting introduction to all the characters.

I don’t see what the big deal was with the F Batman line. The trailer made it seem bigger than it was. It was more of an afterthought.

That alley fight with Robin and those thugs was pretty cool and very violent.

Only thing I thought was weird was Beast Boys introduction. Really? Breaking into an electronics store as a Tiger for an XBox game.

I’m looking forward to seeing how they fit in Robin 2 or Jason Todd. The trailer featuring him and Grayson was kinda funny. Plus they have many more characters to introduce soon.
Old 10-15-18, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post

Only thing I thought was weird was Beast Boys introduction. Really? Breaking into an electronics store as a Tiger for an XBox game.
Yeah, that was weird. Why not a racoon, monkey or any other small animal? Why steal at all when his stepdad is a billionaire. Doesn't make sense at all.
Old 10-15-18, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i think it was to make Beast Boy's first scene 'spectacular' a Tiger in suburbia
Old 10-15-18, 09:07 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I went into it thinking it an Elseworlds tale, trying to be open to something radiacally different than the Wolfman Perez run I loved as a teen. It’s decent enough to keep watching. Definitely darker than I prefer, but well made and I see potential.
Old 10-16-18, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked it. As already mentioned, it was a lot darker than even Arrow. That said, it looked like it had a bigger budget than the Arrowverse shows (like Krypton), unless they just used it better.
Old 10-16-18, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It is a real shame there is no connection to DC movieverse and other DC tv shows

even though the tone is different, would love to see some of the characters from the arrowverse come visit and get destroyed violently
Old 10-16-18, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Original Desmond View Post
It is a real shame there is no connection to DC movieverse and other DC tv shows
When they mentioned
Spoiler:
Konstantin Kovar I really hoped he was played by Dolph Lundgren
Old 10-17-18, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What was the name of the video game the guard was playing in the store toward the end of the episode? I know I have played it but cannot remember the name.
Old 10-19-18, 12:50 PM

Liked the 2nd episode and that's one hell of a cliffhanger
Old 10-20-18, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Pretty cool 2nd episode and yeah interesting cliffhanger. What did Dove fall like 4 stories? I'm sure they'll find a way for her to survive.

at Hawk calling Robin a psychopath. Robin is a total bloodthirsty vigilante.

I liked the introduction of Hawk and Dove and some of their backstory.

So Hawk is apparently impotent as well?
Old 10-20-18, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

2nd ep. wasn't bad at all and I'm glad they didn't use whiny Don and went with the current version of Hawk and Dove.
Old 10-22-18, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah I really liked the second episode, I thought Hawk and Dove were great additions. I also like how we are slowly getting more backstory about Robin and how unhinged he's getting. It's slowly adding to his character. Did Dick tell the cop where he was? I remember her calling him but I don't remember him telling her that. Also of all the people I never expected to see in live action, The Nuclear Family is very high on that list.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.