Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

DC's Titans (DC Universe) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 10/12/18

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

DC's Titans (DC Universe) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 10/12/18

Old 01-16-19, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: DC's Titans (DC Universe) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 10/12/18

Uhm...wasn't the Hawk and Dove ep "character development" or "world building".

I swear, ya'll are never fuckin' happy.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 01-18-19 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-17-19, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The flashback episode for Hank and Dawn was the best them thing I've seen from a DC show. I really hope they get their own series.
Old 01-18-19, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by candyrocket786 View Post
The flashback episode for Hank and Dawn was the best them thing I've seen from a DC show. I really hope they get their own series.
I agree. They were so broken it was facinating.
Old 01-18-19, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by candyrocket786 View Post
Agreed. Would love to see them spin off. Can't decide If i would want them with powers or normal people though.
Old 01-21-19, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finally got around to watching this. Just finished episode 6. Damn this show is everything I wanted from the "Arrowverse" and makes me question why I even still continue watching the Arrowverse when it just continues to sink lower with every season.. It's got nothing on this show. Gonna finish up this season in the next few days and hopefully DC Universe does well enough that we'll get more seasons of this.

Makes me hopeful for the other shows they've announced as well. Truth be told I know nothing about the Doom Patrol... I gather that show will be based on the characters we met on episode 4 here?
Old 01-21-19, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Koby View Post
Makes me hopeful for the other shows they've announced as well. Truth be told I know nothing about the Doom Patrol... I gather that show will be based on the characters we met on episode 4 here?
Yes, with the exception of "Chief" He was recast for the series with Timothy Dalton. But, Matt Bomer, April Bowlby and Brendan Fraser will return for the series.
Old 01-22-19, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Hopefully they've given the Robotman body (or at least the face) a redesign.
Old 01-22-19, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When I watched this I tried not to think too hard about Batman letting Robin run around indiscriminately killing people. In the comic that would never happen.
Old 01-22-19, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
When I watched this I tried not to think too hard about Batman letting Robin run around indiscriminately killing people. In the comic that would never happen.
Are you talking about Jason Todd and the cops, or about Grayson?

Jason Todd, I agree, though they say that he doesn't do it in front of Batman. As for Grayson, eh, he'll track him to make sure he's not in trouble but I'm not sure he's keeping tabs. And if he was, I think he'd be more concerned about revealing his secret identity, and thus Batman's, to everyone and their mother (though it did result in a joke from the strong man).

I still don't understand how both the Nuclear Family and Starfire tracked Raven and Robin to Hawk and Dove's place early in the show.
Old 01-24-19, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Personally i think this show is good enough with good casting that it should be tied in directly to the DC movie universe

Old 01-25-19, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finished the season

Yeah overall very good. A bit disappointed there weren't more brutal fight scenes. There were a lot of characters introduced, maybe a few too many.

When it came down to it, the main story was very limited

With all of the Batman references, it's hard to put things in perspective with Gotham TV show still going and the DC movie universe

DC really failed tieing things together

Jason Todd was probably my favourite character, unapologetic about kicking ass. Beastboy was good. Doom Patrol was hit and miss.

I'll be in for these DC streaming shows as long as they are all adult oriented
Old 01-26-19, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Joseph Wilson (aka Jericho) and Rose Wilson (aka Ravager) are set to join their father Slade Wilson (aka Deathstroke) when the DC Universe series “Titans” returns for a second season.

Producer Geoff Johns has teased a different take on the Deathstroke character for the series late last year, this one a military man with a family but whose demanding nature tore that family apart.
Old 01-28-19, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ok finally finished it.

That's what they chose to end the season with? All I could think of that entire episode was that it was obviously fake (they don't even try to hide it) and a waste of time when there are so many plot threads to try to tie together. I realize they cut an episode or something but I don't know who thought that would be a satisfying cliffhanger for anyone. It also made Dick's "character arc" seem kind of pointless.

Loved the post credits scene, though. Also loved the way too few scenes with Donna Troy.

They had 11 episodes and we got two backdoor pilot episodes and a lot of what seemed like filler. That would be ok and even standard in a longer season, but I feel like they wasted so much of their screen time on side things and then rushed the main plot points. Hopefully the second season addresses some of that (like what was the deal with the organization and the mom) but I fear it's going to be a couple of episodes to wrap up Trigon and then on to Deathstroke and co.
Old 01-28-19, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

How is Dick's character arc pointless or made pointless if we are only in season 1? The arc is barely started..
Old 01-28-19, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
How is Dick's character arc pointless or made pointless if we are only in season 1? The arc is barely started..
I guess I feel they undid whatever progression they tried to make with him.

SPOILERS

Basically:
Dick leaves Batman. We don't know the exact reason, but we know he feels resentful for being raised the way he was.
He allowed his parent's killer to get killed, essentially killing him.
He can't leave the mask behind, and it makes him violent. If he doesn't outright kill the guys in the first episode, he cripples at least some of them.
He's appalled at Jason Todd's actions, presumably not because of how far he took it (he basically crippled a guy with a backbreaker), but because he's doing it to cops
At the asylum, he gets broken to the point where he looks at his reflection, sees Robin, and decides to leave it behind... while presumably ordering Starfire to blow up an asylum full of people. But he burns the costume, turns his back on Robin, and finds that he has a hard time integrating back to normal civilian life.
In the alternate future, he gives up fighting crime for a family life and claims it was because of having to guide Raven (he doesn't really pull his punches around her and she's murdered as well, so that seems a little weird). Through Trigon's manipulations, he goes right back to violence. He condemns Batman for (almost) killing Joker (and there's a excellent line about how Dick has a conscience but Bruce does not... he only has a code, and once that's gone, all bets are off). But that's the same thing he (and his team) was doing all season long. You could say hey, Batman was hurting innocent police officers; Starfire basically burned a train of agents coming after her. Like he basically gives up Bruce for taking it too far, when this whole season his entire team has been taking it too far.
Then it ends with Trigon finally breaking him and he kills Bruce out of anger.

So I'm not sure that's much of a character arc since we end up right where we started, and we don't have anything else until around 2020. I think I'd have felt much better with another episode or two and a resolution to this arc, but I understand why they reformatted it the way they did.
Old 01-28-19, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

But...the ENTIRE final ep was ALL TRIGON manipulating Grayson's mind. It was done to so make Dick head towards Trigon's dark side. NONE of it was real..until Dick came out of the dream possessed by Trigon.

I'm not sure one can shoot down his arc based on what happened in the finale.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 01-28-19 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-28-19, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

But...the ENTIRE finale ep was ALL TRIGON manipulating Grayson's mind. It was done to so make Dick head towards Trigons' dark side. NONE of it was real..until Dick came out of the dream possessed by Trigon.

I'm not sure one can shoot down his arc based on what happened in the finale.
I mentioned that. It's important to note that Dick made his own choices, though Trigon manipulated the circumstances whenever Dick would turn back to his family. It's still a regression that needed (IMHO) a redemption in THIS season, not the beginning of the next one, for the character arc to really work. If they had a one episode wrap up where Dick gets ahold of himself and that was the finale, I'd have felt a lot better about it.

But again, what is it that drove Dick over the edge? That Batman hurt police officers, and even Starfire, when she was about to blast him to smithereens? Like I said, it falls a little flat because the good guys have been crippling and incinerating people (including cops) all season long.
Old 01-28-19, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I mentioned that. It's important to note that Dick made his own choices, though Trigon manipulated the circumstances whenever Dick would turn back to his family. It's still a regression that needed (IMHO) a redemption in THIS season, not the beginning of the next one, for the character arc to really work. If they had a one episode wrap up where Dick gets ahold of himself and that was the finale, I'd have felt a lot better about it.

But again, what is it that drove Dick over the edge? That Batman hurt police officers, and even Starfire, when she was about to blast him to smithereens? Like I said, it falls a little flat because the good guys have been crippling and incinerating people (including cops) all season long.
Honesty DC boxed themselves in by making all these heroes have issues with killing and maiming bad guys. Shit's gonna happen fighting people who are trying to kill you and others. I feel like you just want everything wrapped up in one short season...actually you pretty much said that... and I don't think that's realistic or good for the show. Robin dealing with almost a lifetime of Batman isn't going to wrap up like that.

And Starfire isn't really struggling with killing people is she? So not sure she should be thrown in with Dick's struggles.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 01-29-19 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-28-19, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's an issue with most Superhero shows, superheros struggle with maiming/killing villians/bad people

Arrow, Supergirl the Gifted, Daredevil, Luke cage etc

I personally hate these themes

"Let em bang bro"

"if he dies, he dies"
Old 01-28-19, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Honesty DC boxed themselves in by making all these heroes have issues with killing and maiming bad guys. Shit's gonna happen fighting people who are trying to kill you and others. I feel like you just want everything wrapped up in one short season...actually you pretty much said that... and I don't think that's realistic or good for the show. Robin dealing with a almost a lifetime of Batman isn't going to wrap up like that.

And Starfire isn't really struggling with killing people is she? So not sure she should be thrown in with Dick's struggles.
I'd be fine with that if the point of the episode wasn't "we have to take Bruce down because he's gone too far." Like if you're going to have a dark universe where heroes kill, fine, but don't center Dick's issue with Batman on "oh man, he went over the edge." Do something else. Because honestly you're going to turn Batman over to the police because he did that, the same police who can't do jack crap while Gotham is falling apart? There aren't bigger fish to fry? Then you have Dick Grayson kill him while he's helpless?

I don't want everything wrapped up in a bow. You still have Starfire's amnesia (I still don't quite understand why she went to Russia or whatever in the first place), you have the mystery of Raven's mom and why the organization locked her up, you have Beast Boy struggling with his animalistic side,etc. And I've heard that the next season should focus on some other characters. But the majority of this season was on Robin so yes, I'd like some kind of resolution or growth or revelation or something satisfying to end the season.

Old 02-10-19, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Really enjoyed this series.

My biggest issue is with Dick going on a killing spree in the hospital. Heroes are not supposed to kill - and it contradicts his values in the last episode where he goes against Batman. Also, even if Batman killed the Joker, he would not snap like that.

I didn't like Starfire's wig and do - made her look like a cheap hooker.
Old 02-10-19, 10:12 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Fwiw, finished season one and loved it. It’s not “my Teen Titans”, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. Really looking forward to season two, and Doom Patrol.
Old 02-13-19, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Finished this the other day. Going in, I knew little of (Teen) Titans, except for Robin. Overall I liked it, it seemed to get better as the season went on. The fight scenes were pretty violent but many were so dark you couldn't see everything. (Not everyone streams a show that is available 24/7 during the night, and not everyone has a 4k TV).
For some reason I was also under the impression DIck was going to be Nightwing in this, so I kept waiting. Then Jason Todd showed up (he was good too) and I was alright now he's going to be Nightwing!

Favorite fanboy homage... that little bit of day-glo red trim on the Batmobile.
It irks me that a lot of these superhero shows (Movies as well) the characters don't wear their suits much. I think Jack Nicholson told Michael Keaton (Batman '89) something along the lines of 'a film like this you have to let the suit do most of the work'.
Hopefully S2 finishes before my subscription ends.