Reload this Page >

DC's Titans (DC Universe) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 10/12/18

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

DC's Titans (DC Universe) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 10/12/18

Old 01-10-19, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: DC's Titans (DC Universe) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 10/12/18

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Who seriously expected this service to be profitable in under 4 months? That's a ridiculous write up.
Exactly. I posted it with the thought that the site/writer may even be celebrating the tough start. But I'm not worried at all. I get that right now issues like the slim content pickings and not being able to get DCU outside of America make it a bumpy time. But I have no doubt it be around for a long time to come.
Old 01-10-19, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
Titans alone is worth the subscription. So far, its the strongest super hero show on tv.
Agree 100% And I have no doubt Doom Patrol, Stargirl, and Swamp Thing will all be better than people think.

Old 01-10-19, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I'm at the episode where they escape the asylum. I like the show but there's way way way too much edginess. Is this really what people want, heroes that are ok with murdering (I also just saw Aquaman where I had the same problem when he just decimates the Atlanteans).
Yes, lots of us do. I'm curious...did you question the edginess of the Marvel Netflix shows? I don't remember if you did or didn't. As far as "murdering", I think that will be an ongoing issues in this series. In case you missed it, clearly Robin is struggling with it even though at times he does end up doing it. But he doesn't want to be that way. THAT is why he split from Batman. To be honest. The Batman of TITANS tv show reminds me of the Batman of BvS in that he has gone way over board and needs to come back to who he was...like he did in Justice League.
Old 01-10-19, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Yes, lots of us do. I'm curious...did you question the edginess of the Marvel Netflix shows? I don't remember if you did or didn't. As far as "murdering", I think that will be an ongoing issues in this series. In case you missed it, clearly Robin is struggling with it even though at times he does end up doing it. But he doesn't want to be that way. THAT is why he split from Batman. To be honest. The Batman of TITANS tv show reminds me of the Batman of BvS in that he has gone way over board and needs to come back to who he was...like he did in Justice League.
This is what i loved about Punisher and Daredevil. They dont care to push the envelope. The stories is good and it keeps it real.

Killing is what Robin was struggling throughout the show. These people are real and some you can kind of relate to. I hope they keep it this way. Make it real for the adults. Leave the regular PG ones for regular tv.
Old 01-10-19, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
I haven't seen all of the Netflix Marvel shows, but to me there's a difference in how Daredevil and especially Punisher have been portrayed compared to the Teen Titans (and I'm not talking about cartoons). I'm also less interested in those shows, I think as a result of that; I'm a much bigger fan of the Teen Titans than I am of urban heroes (though I am a huge Iron Fist fan, I just heard it really sucks).

I realize Robin is on a road to redemption, which is why I was disappointed that, even after self reflection, he just torched the place. Like he decided to step away from the Robin persona because it was harmful, but then just killed everyone in that facility. I don't think there needs to be like a no-killing code or anything, but I still kind of want them to act like heroes and not like the dark, post DKR edginess comics era where even Miller thought creators completely missed the point.

And I have no problem with general darkness. Wolfman and Perez's comic was very dark. I don't mind Raven "unhealing" that guy, for instance, seems in character. Beast Boy mauling that lab tech (even deservedly so) was, I dunno, out of place considering they made it a point to say he's never so much as bitten anyone before.

Anyway, the next episode is Donna Troy so I look forward to that.
Old 01-10-19, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Who seriously expected this service to be profitable in under 4 months? That's a ridiculous write up.
It's a clickbait article with a lot of uninformed speculation. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither are new streaming services.

Titans is a quality show and I think most people subscribing have been happy with the service's exclusive content.

Old 01-10-19, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm glad I subbed, but will wait and see if I go beyond the 3 months. Been binging a few of the other shows and generally playing catch up/waxing nostalgia. I'd prolly cancel and re-up at a later time like with Youtube Red.
Old 01-11-19, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I haven't seen all of the Netflix Marvel shows, but to me there's a difference in how Daredevil and especially Punisher have been portrayed compared to the Teen Titans (and I'm not talking about cartoons). I'm also less interested in those shows, I think as a result of that; I'm a much bigger fan of the Teen Titans than I am of urban heroes (though I am a huge Iron Fist fan, I just heard it really sucks).
Fair enough. I honestly suffer from DC Criticism-PTSD* in that i see criticisms of DC that aren't applied to Marvel in the same or similar situations and I get flashbacks. I don't see people complain about Marvel's edginess on Netlfix, nor do i see anyone asking for them to lighten it up.

(*NOT making fun of actual PTSD sufferers)

I realize Robin is on a road to redemption, which is why I was disappointed that, even after self reflection, he just torched the place. Like he decided to step away from the Robin persona because it was harmful, but then just killed everyone in that facility. I don't think there needs to be like a no-killing code or anything, but I still kind of want them to act like heroes and not like the dark, post DKR edginess comics era where even Miller thought creators completely missed the point.
Ok but..he is still on that road... It's early...1st season of the series...only a few eps in...give him a chance?

And I have no problem with general darkness. Wolfman and Perez's comic was very dark. I don't mind Raven "unhealing" that guy, for instance, seems in character. Beast Boy mauling that lab tech (even deservedly so) was, I dunno, out of place considering they made it a point to say he's never so much as bitten anyone before.
Garth said that BOTH he and the TIGER are present. I'm guessing that scene was the Tiger taking over? So not sure that it was out of place as much as it was inevitable.
Old 01-11-19, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, I must have missed that there's some kind of tiger persona in Garth (or I haven't gotten to that explanation yet).

I don't think you can be a fan of Miller's Daredevil or the Punisher in general and feel like a tv show based on those properties is too dark. Even Killgrave in Jessica Jones is straight from the comic. Now if you have a movie Spider-man going around and shanking thugs or something (instead of, you know, punching them 40 feet in the air and pummeling them in a video game), you'll probably have a war on your hands.
Old 01-13-19, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just binged it. Show was pretty good but everyone is a sociopath here, heroes and villains. Dick just out mass murdered everyone in the Asylum.
Old 01-15-19, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm on the last episode and I don't want it to end. This is a really good show. I'm surprised as fuck at how well this turned out for the first show they did.

Batman stuff in the last episode got me like:

Last edited by Deftones; 01-15-19 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-16-19, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Finally finished the season. I liked the final episode overall. For not being able to show Batman and what not I thought they got around it in a pretty creative way(and that scene when he takes out the SWAT team was pretty great) Overall I enjoyed the final episode. Will be interested to see what they plan to do with Superboy and Krypto. I thought this was pretty good for a first season(and a hell of a lot better than Jessica Jones, Iron Fist and Luke Cage) and I would put it on the same level as Daredevil and above Punisher.

Don't really get the complaint that everyone here is sociopath. The entire point of Robin's ark is that he has a conscious and is losing control of the battle where he might go over the edge and enjoy it(and don't bring up the asylum, he was still most likely drugged during that). Starfire is an alien, so she really has no moral code, and Beast Boy kills once. So it isn't like everyone is just murdering to murder(unless your Jason Todd). Oh and I forgot to mention I really liked Donna Troy and hope she has more of a role next season.

Last edited by robin2099; 01-16-19 at 08:00 AM.
Old 01-16-19, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Watched up to the Donna Troy episode and really enjoyed the casting of her character, and the interaction of their young selves.

The thing about the Asylum torching is that he took a moment, looked at the carnage he did, saw the image of Robin in his reflection, and then torched the place anyway. And the rest were cool with that, or at the very least didn't question it (Starfire I can understand, she just torches people left and right). Even just a little comment that there were no other captives or something. I mean was that place really just built to contain Raven's mom? She was the only one, prior to the Titans, being kept or experimented on there?

I'll refrain from commenting further until I watch the final few episodes, but it does seem like they wanted to push the grim and gritty up because they could. Nothing wrong with that, just not necessarily what I would have picked for a Titans show. At least Donna didn't murder anyone (yet). Also, I'm glad this is for the fans but I wonder what someone not familiar with the comics thinks of the show, because if I didn't explain who Donna Troy was to my wife, she would've been super confused.
Old 01-16-19, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

[color=left=#222222]The thing about the Asylum torching is that he took a moment, looked at the carnage he did, saw the image of Robin in his reflection, and then torched the place anyway. And the rest were cool with that, or at the very least didn't question it (Starfire I can understand, she just torches people left and right). Even just a little comment that there were no other captives or something. I mean was that place really just built to contain Raven's mom? She was the only one, prior to the Titans, being kept or experimented on there?[/color]
Before the place was torched, and he saw the Robin reflection, he says something along the lines of "This is the final time" or something like that which I took to mean this is the final time that he lets the darkness that he felt was consuming him as Robin come out and this signified that he was walking away from being Robin and as a final act, he makes sure they don't torture anyone again which that plays into the final episode somewhat. That is one of the problems I have with this show is Dick is such a complex character(you see it in his interactions with Jason, Hawk and Dove and sort of with Batman) that it feels like the other characters are short changed and you would just rather see a solo Robin series, because he was by far the most interesting and best character on the show.
Old 01-16-19, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm glad this is for the fans but I wonder what someone not familiar with the comics thinks of the show, because if I didn't explain who Donna Troy was to my wife, she would've been super confused.
I'm still hating that they expanded her origin in the 80's with all that Troia crap. I thought it was fucking lame and they should have left it alone.
Old 01-16-19, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mrhan View Post
I'm still hating that they expanded her origin in the 80's with all that Troia crap. I thought it was fucking lame and they should have left it alone.
They were kind of forced into it. I'm not saying the Troia mess was the solution, but when Crisis happened, they basically rebooted WW with the George Perez series, and Diana was not only an only child, her introduction into the real world was delayed, so there was no time in the timeline for her to rescue an orphaned girl from a fire and have her be a teenager. A similar thing happened with John Byrne's Superman not only wiping out his time as Superboy (and thus making the Legion of Super Heroes jump through hoops) but also by mandate eliminating all other Kryptonians.

Ironically like a decade or so later, Byrne took over WW, revised Donna Troy's origin yet again (reconnecting her to the amazons), and bringing back pre Crisis things like the Invisible Jet and WW in the JSA (via her mom). He also introduced the new Wonder Girl.
Old 01-16-19, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A similar thing happened with John Byrne's Superman not only wiping out his time as Superboy (and thus making the Legion of Super Heroes jump through hoops) but also by mandate eliminating all other Kryptonians.

Ironically like a decade or so later, Byrne took over WW, revised Donna Troy's origin yet again (reconnecting her to the amazons), and bringing back pre Crisis things like the Invisible Jet and WW in the JSA (via her mom). He also introduced the new Wonder Girl.

I remember reading an interview with Byrne where he said he should of left all the Superboy stories intact but instead he created that stupid pocket universe to explain the LSH connection away. He basically created another universe when there was suppose to be only one after the Crisis.
Old 01-16-19, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mrhan View Post
I remember reading an interview with Byrne where he said he should of left all the Superboy stories intact but instead he created that stupid pocket universe to explain the LSH connection away. He basically created another universe when there was suppose to be only one after the Crisis.
It was a more limited universe, I want to say only Krypton and Earth were populated. And yeah it was a mess, it also resulted in a new Supergirl, who wasn't really Supergirl, for many many years.
Old 01-16-19, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It was a more limited universe, I want to say only Krypton and Earth were populated. And yeah it was a mess, it also resulted in a new Supergirl, who wasn't really Supergirl, for many many years.
I read that book. The Matrix or whatever the hell that stupid thing was. That was my "buy almost every DC title I could get my hands on" phase. The 90's had some really, really, bad DC books.
Old 01-16-19, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The best thing Dan Didio ever did was bring back the original Supergirl. The story is, he went to Six Flags where they had the various DC properties on display and in rides, and he was reading the Supergirl entry. Her origin was the "well she was once an artificial life form from a parallel universe, who then joined the DC universe and merged with an angel, who then..." and was all WTF is this shit? Cousin of Superman, Kara Zor-El, Last Daughter of Krypton, make this happen.
Old 01-16-19, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It was called a pocket universe by John Byrne since it was created specifically by Time Trapper for the Legion to time travel back and meet Superboy. So, technically there were two earths existing after the Crisis. Which is were we got that stupid version of SG you mention. At least that's what I remember. It was over 30 years ago so I could be wrong.
Old 01-16-19, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just remember reading Guy Gardner Warrior and boy was that book strange (and not in a good way).
Old 01-16-19, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
I read that book. The Matrix or whatever the hell that stupid thing was. That was my "buy almost every DC title I could get my hands on" phase. The 90's had some really, really, bad DC books.
That was a great character once Peter David got his hands on her.
Old 01-16-19, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ben12 View Post
That was a great character once Peter David got his hands on her.
He even brought back the original Supergirl near the end of that run (though he did make mistakes... I still hate that animated SG uniform), or at least gave them a way to, and they didn't use it. Instead, they brought Supergirl back, misused her as some dark agent that wanted to kill Superman and also slept around even though she was underage, then they literally had the whole book retconned.

Ah comics. Oh yeah, back to Titans. Someone tell me this Hawk and Dove flashback episode is awesome, because it literally killed any momentum I had in binging this. And I love Hawk and Dove. Even the Liefeld version.
Old 01-16-19, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^I thought the same thing about the Hawk and Dove episode.

Then again, I didn't care for the final episode, either.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.