Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

All-American (CW) -- HS Football drama from EP Greg Berlanti -- Premieres 10/10/18

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

All-American (CW) -- HS Football drama from EP Greg Berlanti -- Premieres 10/10/18

Old 10-10-18, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 10

SERIES PREMIERE

ALL AMERICAN

"Pilot" (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (Content Rating TBD) (HDTV)

INSPIRED BY THE LIFE OF FORMER NFL PLAYER SPENCER PAYSINGER - Spencer James (Daniel Ezra) is a rising high school football player and an A student at South Crenshaw High who is recruited by Beverly High School's football coach Billy Baker (Taye Diggs). Spencer is conflicted on whether or not to move to Beverly High but Spencer's mother, Grace (Karimah Westbrook), and his best friend, Coop (Bre-Z), convince Spencer it's an opportunity he has to seize. When Spencer is forced to move in with Billy and his family, these two families and their vastly different worlds are drawn together. They will discover that the differences that divide us on the surface hide a deeper connection - the complicated, imperfect humanity that unites us all. Also starring Monet Mazur, Greta Onieogou, Samantha Logan, Michael Evans Behling, Cody Christian and Jalyn Hall. The episode was written by April Blair and directed by Rob Hardy (#101). Original airdate 10/10/2018.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
Bre-Z as Tiana "Coop" Cooper
Cody Christian as Asher
Daniel Ezra as Spencer James
Greta Onieogou as Leila Faisal
Jalyn Hall as Dillon
Karimah Westbrook as Grace James
Michael Evans Behling as Jordan Baker
Monet Mazur as Laura Fine-Baker
Samantha Logan as Olivia Baker
Taye Diggs as Billy Baker

CREW INFORMATION:
April Blair as CRTR/EP
Greg Berlanti as EP
Rob Hardy as EP/DIR (Pilot)
Sarah Schechter as EP

Yup, another show from super producer Greg Berlanti.

I'm looking forward to this one. I like HS dramas and the football theme appeals to me.
Old 10-11-18, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: All-American (CW) -- HS Football drama from EP Greg Berlanti -- Premieres 10/10/1

I thought it was very entertaining and fun. A lighter version of Friday Night Lights and Beverly Hills 90210.

It was a check mark of most elements in a high school themed show. A potential love triangle, a lonely popular girl and jealous teammates.

The best friend I remember from Empire a few years back.

And with that ending:

Spoiler:

I had a feeling that Taye Diggs is Spencer’s real father.

Old 10-11-18, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: All-American (CW) -- HS Football drama from EP Greg Berlanti -- Premieres 10/10/1

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
a check mark of most elements in a high school themed show
yeah right down to the some of the classic ones. Like new guy meets a really hot girl in class but then sort of just looks past her for the popular girl, as if the other girl is just plain Jane.

Oh and of course the football background players all looking like division one college starters in size and shape. How can BevHills highschool win any games when all they have are a bunch of ripped to hell 6 foot 215 pound "kids" who all look like they can bench 350+!?!
Granted, little spoiled here by Fridaynight Lights that had a bit more of a highschool look, at least at first. Near the end it was just as bad but at least starting out it looked kind of high school-ish.

but over all better than I thought it would be store line wise.

Random pet peeve rant time here. What is up with the cruddy screen ratio!?!

You're a tv show, roll out the 16x9 like everyone else damn it! Don't go all movie format screen ratio (kind of) AND then slam stupid CW screen bug in the middle of the damn frame as if it was the edge of a 1.33 ratio picture. CW has been doing this for years now with their screen look and it drives me nuts. 16x9 and HD is the default format now, move the screen bug over to the edge damn it.
Old 10-11-18, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Interesting note, the lead actor Daniel Ezra (Spencer) is British.

Kind of interesting how this show and the FX show Snowfall use UK Black actors to play teens from the hood in Los Angeles.

It was nice to see Monet Mazur playing Diggs' wife. I remember her from Torque and thought she was really hot in that movie. Although it looks like she's had some work done since then.
Old 10-14-18, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It wasn't terrible

Pretty much rehashing the OC plot in a FNL setting

lesbian friend character was terrible

the sister who is supposed to be low on the social spectrum is hotter than the supposed prom queen character
Old 10-18-18, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The 2nd episode last night was pretty too IMO.

and yeah with that little flashback at the end, they do seem to be hinting that Diggs' character is actually the real father of Spencer.

But, that would create a potentially messy potential romantic thing with Olivia and Spencer. She does seem to have a "thing" for him.

The thing that I do enjoy aside from the football aspect is Spencer's relationship with his little brother.

and Olivia is gorgeous, I think she's much more hotter than Leila.

I don't really pay attention to ratings anymore, but I'm a little concerned about this show's future. It's not doing very well post-Riverdale. I have a feeling this is one of those small shows that's going to get completely in the massive amount of shows on TV.
Old 10-20-18, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I want to like this

Drama seems a bit too forced and cliched

The 'Big Bad Racist Rich White Family' thing is a bit played out.
Old 10-25-18, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Last night's episode actually touched a little on some racial profiling. It did come across as kind of contrived. The 2 white cops who arrested Spencer and Jordan looked like your typical cliched angry, chip on your shoulder racist cops.

and that reveal in the barber shop to Jordan that his Dad dated Spencer's Mom will probably lead to putting 2 and 2 together.

I'm still really enjoying this though despite that cliched racial profiling scene.
Old 10-26-18, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I want to like this but it's just so cliched, so forced
Old 11-16-18, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, I guess no one is watching except me and that Australian guy.

Anyways, this week's episode sorta resolved the early mystery about Spencer and Billy. He denied he's the father....apparently, but kept it lingering some more.

They did introduce the grandfather. He's apparently a fucking racist who hates his son marrying a white woman. So that apparently clears things up for Spencer and Olivia if they ever cross that bridge.

Also, this was picked up for 3 more episodes by the CW. So we'll get a 16 episode season. Seems like a good number for a serialized show like this without too much filler.

I’ve been really enjoying this show so far.

Last edited by DJariya; 11-16-18 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-31-19, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: All-American (CW) -- HS Football drama from EP Greg Berlanti -- Premieres 10/10/18

So has anyone else been watching this or is this really just not anyone's radar?

I've kept up with it and I think this is my favorite non-superhero CW show. I really enjoy the storytelling and following Spencer's journey. I actually don't mind the B plot with Spencer's best friend Coop struggling with the gang life. It's all part of what these kids have to go through. The young girls who were/are the object of Spencer's affections are both cute.

Daniel Ezra has really shined in this and especially since he's a UK actor. I'm also glad that this is only a 16 episode season. It's keeping the plotting tighter. Well, if you simply don't have time right now, it will be on Netflix in it's entirety March 31st.

This show wasn't one of the 10 shows renewed today by The CW, but the President really likes it and seems optimistic it could continue.

https://deadline.com/2019/01/cw-boss...ca-1202546995/

I've watched 10 of the 11 episodes that have aired. Haven't seen last night's yet but will later tonight.
Old 03-22-19, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: All-American (CW) -- HS Football drama from EP Greg Berlanti -- Premieres 10/10/18

So wow, no one was watching I guess? 8 of the 12 posts here are from me. I just binged the last 5 episodes, including the season finale, which aired Wednesday.

A really solid season overall. It reminded me a lot of Friday Night Lights and Michael B. Jordan's season. Daniel Ezra is a great find and was a terrific lead as Spencer. The last 3-4 episodes featured an arc with Chad Coleman from The Walking Dead playing Ezra's MIA father. Those were some really good episodes and they had a really emotional climax in the finale. The football sequences were pretty well directed. The final few episodes did wrap up a lot of the big question marks from earlier in the season.

A lot was wrapped up, but the finale had a few cliffhangers, so hopefully the CW gives this another chance. I did like that this was a tight 16 episode season. There really wasn't any filler.

If this gets a 2nd season, it seems like Coleman would be a big part of it. I know most here simply don't have the time to watch every interesting new drama that comes out, but IMO this is worth checking out. It should appear on Netflix by next week.
Old 04-24-19, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Renewed for a 2nd season: https://deadline.com/2019/04/all-ame...cw-1202601250/

Yes, I love this show. Apparently the Netflix numbers have been good and it's getting more buzz now.

It's now on Netflix, watch it if you got the time this summer. It's a really good show.