DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Walking Dead (S9E01) -- Season Premiere -- "A New Beginning" -- 10/7/18 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/645442-walking-dead-s9e01-season-premiere-new-beginning-10-7-18-a.html)

DJariya 10-07-18 01:56 AM

The Walking Dead (S9E01) -- Season Premiere -- "A New Beginning" -- 10/7/18

https://cnet1.cbsistatic.com/img/E1i...anelposter.jpg

The highly anticipated season nine premiere of "The Walking Dead," launches on Sunday, October 7th at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT. On the season premiere, "A New Beginning," Rick and his group make a risky run into Washington, D.C. to search for artifacts they will need to build the civilization he and Carl envisioned. This episode is written by Angela Kang and directed by Greg Nicotero.

16 episode 9th season

Andrew Lincoln is leaving

Lauren Cohen is contracted for a limited amount of episodes this season due to her new ABC show

and the show has a new head writer/showrunner.

JZ1276 10-07-18 11:01 AM

Re: The Walking Dead (S9E01) -- Season Premiere -- "A New Beginning" -- 10/7/18

Just read Herschel died.

OldBoy 10-07-18 07:36 PM

i wish i was able to catch up on last half of last season. recording tonight, but don't know if keep bc i want to finish up last season...

TGM 10-07-18 08:06 PM

this show is on the shortest of leashes with me...

DthRdrX 10-07-18 08:14 PM

Did anyone else notice Zach McGowan from Black Sails at the Savior's camp? I'm going to bet right now he causes problems.

Abob Teff 10-07-18 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by JZ1276 (Post 13421301)
Just read Herschel died.

That happened 5 or 6 seasons ago ...

Troy Stiffler 10-07-18 08:48 PM

If I hear this is good I’ll ignore the past few seasons and pick it up again.

OldBoy 10-07-18 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff (Post 13421607)
That happened 5 or 6 seasons ago ...

He meant in real life, the other day... :lol:

Cusm 10-07-18 09:00 PM

Why the hell is Gregory still on here. I know they love lame “villains”, but he was full on with the saviors last season.

Coral 10-07-18 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by DthRdrX (Post 13421593)
Did anyone else notice Zach McGowan from Black Sails at the Savior's camp? I'm going to bet right now he causes problems.

I know him as Jody from Shameless. He can fellate himself, ya know.

The kid that died - they may as well had him wear a red shit for how obvious it was right from his introduction.

So stupid they kept Gregory around all this time. At least we no longer have to endure the gang putting up with his traitorous crap.

kenny79 10-07-18 10:39 PM

"We're gonna take a bunch of stuff across this glass floor. Let's start with the heaviest thing."

DthRdrX 10-07-18 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Cusm (Post 13421634)
Why the hell is Gregory still on here. I know they love lame “villains”, but he was full on with the saviors last season.

They mentioned his "last scene" on Talking Dead and it was finally mentioned that some feel certain characters just need to be killed off already. I took this as a step in the right direction for annoying characters.

On the flip, the wagon/glass floor was FN stupid as mentioned above. Why that wagon was so important is an even bigger mystery than how that zombie snuck up and bit that kid.

They should have had them safely get the wagon across only to then have that zombie fall from the top floor and break the glass killing that kid.

DthRdrX 10-07-18 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 13421683)

The kid that died - they may as well had him wear a red shit for how obvious it was right from his introduction.

So stupid they kept Gregory around all this time. At least we no longer have to endure the gang putting up with his traitorous crap.

Black Sails is a fantastic show if you have not seen it. Looks like he will be an antagonist for a few episodes.

Cusm 10-07-18 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by DthRdrX (Post 13421701)
On the flip, the wagon/glass floor was FN stupid as mentioned above. Why that wagon was so important is an even bigger mystery than how that zombie snuck up and bit that kid.

They should have had them safely get the wagon across only to then have that zombie fall from the top floor and break the glass killing that kid.

They killed all the zombies anyway, should have done that in the first place. Also seems like they should have relocated the saviors, especially of it is so far out of the way and access is corroding. Plus it would make them part of other groups. It I’m talking common sense and this show hates that.

All that said it was actually a pretty good episode.

Josh-da-man 10-08-18 12:54 AM

He can kill walkers with his cock.

windom 10-08-18 01:16 AM

For the longest time, I've thought that Gregory was named Jeffrey. Now I know his name and he's gone.

Koby 10-08-18 01:27 AM

Finally Gregory is gone.

Saviors should be split up amongst the other groups if their base isn't capable of providing anything. No need to keep trying to make a sinking ship float. Integrate them. If not that, find a new place to start from scratch with for them that they can start to build anew and start providing back to the community.

It's pretty obvious that Zach McGowan's character is gonna be a cause for concern later. He's definitely not just some random redshirt character.

I'm mainly interested in how they write out the characters mentioned already to be leaving the show. I feel like it's going to leave a pretty big hole in the core members, one the show may not ever get away from.

Bill Needle 10-08-18 01:31 AM

OMG! You killed Kenny! You bastards!

Gregory had become a tired cliche for a long time now. I can't believe they recycled his exact same shtick one more time on his way out.

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13421196)
Lauren Cohen is contracted for a limited amount of episodes this season due to her new ABC show

No real loss there. Her character has been dull and stagnant for several seasons now (since Glenn died). Without being regularly propped up by other characters reminding the audience that she is "strong" and "a great leader" she would be part of the background. She is a connection back to Hershel and Glenn, and not much else.

Originally Posted by Cusm (Post 13421712)
All that said it was actually a pretty good episode.

It is striking how much better this version of the show is than FTWD. Sure, this version isn't perfect either. But at least it feels like they are aware adults of at least average intelligence will be watching the episodes.

movieguru 10-08-18 07:29 AM

Once Rick and Maggie leave the show is going to feel more like Fear the Walking Dead.

Coral 10-08-18 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by DthRdrX (Post 13421701)
On the flip, the wagon/glass floor was FN stupid as mentioned above.

I don't get how the glass wasn't strong enough. When they make floor using glass, the stuff is thick and extra strong to support a buttload of weight. Could years of neglect and weather weaken it? Was the wagon THAT heavy?

Why that wagon was so important is an even bigger mystery than how that zombie snuck up and bit that kid.
I never understood that either. A wagon isn't the most complicated thing to create from scratch. And the plow looked cheap as fuck as it was easily lifted onto the wagon by 2 people, and broke from a 2 foot drop. Were they planning to actually use this in the field?

And yea, the walker should've been easy for the kid to spot as it came out only seconds after he got to the wagon - and the others should've noticed it and used their excellent marksmanship to take it out.

rw2516 10-08-18 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 13421849)
I don't get how the glass wasn't strong enough. When they make floor using glass, the stuff is thick and extra strong to support a buttload of weight. Could years of neglect and weather weaken it? Was the wagon THAT heavy?

I never understood that either. A wagon isn't the most complicated thing to create from scratch. And the plow looked cheap as fuck as it was easily lifted onto the wagon by 2 people, and broke from a 2 foot drop. Were they planning to actually use this in the field?

And yea, the walker should've been easy for the kid to spot as it came out only seconds after he got to the wagon - and the others should've noticed it and used their excellent marksmanship to take it out.

Maggie mentioned they were going to use the plow as a blueprint to make new plows.

As for the glass, I agree. I was looking for a tv stand to put a 250lb tv on. None of the wooden ones were rated for that weight. Found a glass one that was rated for that much weight. I didn't believe it. Two big guys at the store got on top of the glass stand and jumped up and down on it to prove it. Glass coffee tables probably don't break like you see in movie fight scenes. Can probably jump up and down on those too.

Cusm 10-08-18 10:44 AM

I understand them wanting old technology, but why not go to somewhere like Colonial Williamsburg or another living history museum outside of DC where more dead would be located and the equipment would actually be in better upkeep condition.
I have been to Virginia twice, on the eastern side and I know about Williamsburg, I am sure there are many more in the area. But they are doing something smart for a change.

Bill Needle 10-08-18 10:48 AM

I chuckled at grabbing the dugout canoe.

They probably rode past dozens of much lighter aluminum and fiberglass ones sitting in garages along the road into town.

DthRdrX 10-08-18 12:51 PM

Usually when businesses move super heavy objects upstairs they will take them apart and reassemble them in the desired location. Still, that floor is in a public museum and tolerances on that floor were probably ten thousand pounds or better, so I have no idea what they were thinking with the wagon scene.

To those who mentioned that the remaining Saviors should have been split up and placed elsewhere, which is common sense, that is what I thought they were doing at first with the museum. They would have to clean it out but when you consider the security gates it probably would have made a nice base.

jpcamb 10-08-18 01:07 PM

so is there any consensus on the show being watchable this season? I gave up with 4 episodes left last season and I would like to see Ricks send off but have my doubts that it will be worth watching....