Reload this Page >

Fresh off the Boat (ABC) -- Season 5 Thread -- premieres 10/5/18

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-05-18, 08:17 AM

Received 4,553 Likes on 3,089 Posts

SEASON PREMIERE

JESSICA IS LOOKING FORWARD TO DOING A BOOKSTORE READING TO PROMOTE SALES OF HER NEW NOVEL; HONEY AND MARVIN CELEBRATE THE BIRTH OF THEIR BABY; AND LOUIS BUYS AN RV FROM LOS ANGELES LAKERS LEGEND KAREEM ABDUL-JABBAR, ON THE SEASON PREMIERE OF ABC'S 'FRESH OFF THE BOAT,' FRIDAY, OCT. 5

Los Angeles Lakers Greats Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Michael Cooper Guest Star

TGIF Alum Jaleel White Guest Stars as Kareem's Underappreciated RV Manager, Calvin

"Fresh Off the RV" - While Honey and Marvin celebrate the birth of their baby, Jessica's book is finally released, and she's optimistically looking forward to a book store reading that's been set up by her publisher to help boost sales. Louis is so excited to promote the book across the country that he buys an RV from Los Angeles Lakers great Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, who owns an RV dealership which is managed by underappreciated Calvin (Jaleel White, "Family Matters"). Meanwhile, Emery and Evan are concerned about Eddie after Nicole tells him that she's moving to New York, and he seems completely unfazed about losing his best friend, on "Fresh Off the Boat," FRIDAY, OCT. 5 (8:00-8:30 p.m. EDT), as part of the new TGIF programming block on The ABC Television Network, streaming and on demand.

Inspired by a true story, "Fresh Off the Boat" stars Randall Park as Louis Huang, Constance Wu as Jessica Huang, Hudson Yang as Eddie Huang, Forrest Wheeler as Emery Huang, Ian Chen as Evan Huang, Lucille Soong as Grandma Huang, Chelsey Crisp as Honey and Ray Wise as Marvin.

Guest starring is Luna Blaise as Nicole, Jaleel White as Calvin, Nikea Gamby-Turner as employee, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar as himself and Michael J. Cooper as Bobby.

"Fresh Off the RV" was written by Matt Kuhn and directed by Anya Adams.

Read more: Listings - FRESH OFF THE BOAT on ABC | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz5T3caPq1l
I wonder how much, if any, viewership will increase due to Crazy Rich Asians success. Though the move to Friday might not help.
Old 10-05-18, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 945 Likes on 719 Posts
Re: Fresh off the Boat (ABC) -- Season 5 Thread -- premieres 10/5/18

Much like how Good Times became The Jimmie "JJ" Walker Show, and Happy Days became The Fonz Show, I can totally see Fresh Off The Boat becoming the Jessica Huang Show.

And I'm fine with that. Girl is funny as hell.
Old 10-05-18, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 550 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
Much like how Good Times became The Jimmie "JJ" Walker Show, and Happy Days became The Fonz Show, I can totally see Fresh Off The Boat becoming the Jessica Huang Show.

And I'm fine with that. Girl is funny as hell.
Those examples don't match up because both of them were not main characters already. Like Urkel they were side characters who end up overwhelming the show and pushing the main cast to the background. Constance Wu's character is already a main focus of the show and probably gets the most screen time already. Her playing off the kids (some of the most well written children characters on television), her husband, and her best friend is what makes her character work and I can't imagine them changing that.
Old 10-05-18, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, it's kinda already there. Has been for a while, as you mentioned. Originally, Eddie was the main focus, as it was based on the real-life Eddie Huang's memoirs. But when the character (and/or actor, this is a chicken-or-the-egg situation) turned out to be extremely unlikeable, the focus switched to Jessica.

I'm just saying with the popularity of CRA, it might go even more in that direction, if it's at all possible.
Old 10-05-18, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 377 Likes on 304 Posts

Since this is now on Friday nights... is it doomed?
Old 10-05-18, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
Since this is now on Friday nights... is it doomed?
We'll know for sure in a week.
Old 10-05-18, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,628 Likes on 2,603 Posts

Well, it's kinda already there. Has been for a while, as you mentioned. Originally, Eddie was the main focus, as it was based on the real-life Eddie Huang's memoirs. But when the character (and/or actor, this is a chicken-or-the-egg situation) turned out to be extremely unlikeable, the focus switched to Jessica.

I'm just saying with the popularity of CRA, it might go even more in that direction, if it's at all possible.
Eddie Huang bailed as EP and narrator after the 1st season because he didn't like the watered down representation of his life from his memoir. Had nothing to do whether or not he was likable. This article from 2015 pretty much chronicles it. He pretty much trashed the show back then.

https://deadline.com/2015/04/eddie-h...ts-1201406604/

He complains about the show in his article he wrote for Vulture also from 2015.

http://www.vulture.com/2015/01/eddie...-boat-abc.html

But I saw a recent interview where he kind of softened his stance, but says he doesn't watch the show.
Old 10-05-18, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I'll take anything Eddie Huang says with a major grain of salt, because while I've never read Fresh Off the Boat, my understanding of it is that there were a lot of rough patches in his childhood. I believe I read somewhere that his love of hip-hop arose from anger at his father for hitting him. Call me crazy, but I don't think I'd try to sell the ABC execs on a sitcom that features child abuse. So to think it wouldn't get "watered down" is beyond naive.

I think Eddie needs to look at the big picture: ABC has been successful with a sitcom featuring unknown (at the time) Asian-American actors. In a time when everything gets whitewashed (I heard that a studio exec wanted the leading male of Crazy Rich Asians to be played by a white actor), that's a huge step forward for visibility.
Old 10-06-18, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty "meh" season opener. I hope this doesn't doom the series.

I'm guessing this season Jessica will be trading in her Stephen King addiction for
Spoiler:
Harry Potter
Old 10-07-18, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 114 Likes on 90 Posts

But when the character (and/or actor, this is a chicken-or-the-egg situation) turned out to be extremely unlikeable, the focus switched to Jessica.

TBH the kid who played Eddie was a pretty bad actor the first season,his acting and the writing of the charecter both have improved to a point where he is no longer a young Ted Moseby.
Old 01-14-19, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone still watching? Constance Wu and Ian Chen still bring the funny. This past week, a schoolmate gave Evan the "Do you like me?" note with the requisite Yes/No check boxes, and he asked "When is this assignment due?"
I nearly fell over from laughing.
Old 01-15-19, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 377 Likes on 304 Posts

Since the move to Friday, we've stopped watching. It's not like the move to Friday made the show less funny, but it's definitely less funny to my family. We dropped it from the DVR.
Old 01-15-19, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I still like the show and watch regularly. But the Friday move was the death knell for this one. I don't expect a season 6 pick-up.
Old 01-15-19, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

I deleted my season pass a few weeks ago. Just wasn't finding it funny anymore.
Old 01-15-19, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wouldn't mind terribly if it doesn't get picked up, only because Constance Wu is clearly destined for bigger roles. I do love her Jessica Huang though. The "I've got my eyes on you" threat she gave to Evan's girlfriend this past week was hilarious. I'll agree this season is not as strong as past years, but the recent episode was exceptionally funny.
Old 01-15-19, 11:32 AM

I'm also guessing that Constance Wu is wanting off the show and ready to move on to a (hopefully) bigger film career.
Old 01-15-19, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

They can just come back next season and she can already be dead. Then Louis can start a security company with a ex-waitress from his restaurant.
Old 01-15-19, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I'm also guessing that Constance Wu is wanting off the show and ready to move on to a (hopefully) bigger film career.
Why? TV is a guaranteed paycheck on a consistent schedule with fixed pay. Working in movies would mean having to work constantly, schedules would differ, and pay would be inconsistent.

She’s also Asian which means there is still resistance to hire for certain roles despite what Crazy Rich Asians did. Look at the cast for Joy Luck Club. Ming-Na is now on Agents of SHIELD and Lauren Tom ended up being a voice actor.
Old 01-15-19, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still enjoying this.
Old 05-10-19, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Renewed for season 6
Old 05-10-19, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by dex14
Originally Posted by emachine12

Why? TV is a guaranteed paycheck on a consistent schedule with fixed pay. Working in movies would mean having to work constantly, schedules would differ, and pay would be inconsistent.

She’s also Asian which means there is still resistance to hire for certain roles despite what Crazy Rich Asians did. Look at the cast for Joy Luck Club. Ming-Na is now on Agents of SHIELD and Lauren Tom ended up being a voice actor.
Renewed for season 6

Last edited by dex14; 05-10-19 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-10-19, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,628 Likes on 2,603 Posts

So she does want off the show. Yeah getting a taste of being movies will do that.
Old 05-10-19, 05:59 PM

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 05-10-19, 06:05 PM

I’ve read some comments theorizing that the move to Friday indicated it was on the bubble, and there was talk of cancelation. So she lined up work and now has to back out of it. Oh well I guess. You signed a contract.
Old 05-10-19, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
So she does want off the show. Yeah getting a taste of being movies will do that.
Like I said, TV is guaranteed money. Randall Park happily does both but I’m sure he loves the consistent work and income of TV a lot more.

Oh well, I expect her character to become even more unlikeable than before now.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.