Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Neighborhood (CBS) -- S: Cedric the Entertainer, Max Greenfield, Beth Behrs

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-01-18, 06:48 AM

CEDRIC THE ENTERTAINER, MAX GREENFIELD, BETH BEHRS AND TICHINA ARNOLD STAR IN A NEW COMEDY ABOUT WHAT HAPPENS WHEN A FRIENDLY MIDWESTERNER MOVES HIS FAMILY TO A LOS ANGELES NEIGHBORHOOD WHERE NOT EVERYONE APPRECIATES HIS EXTREME NEIGHBORLINESS, ON THE SERIES PREMIERE OF "THE NEIGHBORHOOD," MONDAY, OCT. 1

Sheaun McKinney, Marcel Spears and Hank Greenspan Also Star

"Pilot" - Cedric the Entertainer, Max Greenfield, Beth Behrs and Tichina Arnold star in a comedy about what happens when Dave Johnson (Greenfield), a friendly guy from the Midwest, moves his family to a Los Angeles neighborhood next door to Calvin Butler (Cedric), who's concerned the Johnsons will disrupt the culture on the block and doesn't appreciate Dave's extreme neighborliness, on the series premiere of THE NEIGHBORHOOD, Monday, Oct. 1, (8:00-8:30 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Sheaun McKinney, Marcel Spears and Hank Greenspan also star.

Dave Johnson is a good-natured professional conflict negotiator. When his wife Gemma gets a job as a school principal in L.A., they move from Michigan with their young son, Grover, unfazed that their new dream home is located in a community quite different from their small town. Their opinionated next-door neighbor, Calvin, is wary of the newcomers, while Calvin's gracious wife, Tina, rolls out the welcome wagon. Their chipper younger son, Marty, thinks the Johnsons could be good for the community, and their unemployed older son, Malcolm, finds that Dave may finally be someone who understands him. Dave realizes that fitting into their new community is more complex than he expected, but if he can find a way to connect with Calvin, they have an excellent chance of making their new neighborhood their home.

REGULAR CAST:

Cedric the Entertainer (Calvin Butler)
Max Greenfield (Dave Johnson)
Beth Behrs (Gemma Johnson)
Tichina Arnold (Tina Butler)
Sheaun McKinney (Malcolm Butler)
Marcel Spears (Marty Butler)
Hank Greenspan (Grover Johnson)

GUEST CAST:

Malik S (Trey)

WRITTEN BY: Creator/Executive Producer Jim Reynolds

DIRECTED BY: James Burrows
Old 10-01-18, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: The Neighborhood (CBS) -- S: Cedric the Entertainer, Max Greenfield, Beth Behrs

I don't watch a lot of 30 minute comedies and humor is really subjective, but I will give this a whirl for Greenfield and Behrs who I like. I like Cedric to an extent. But, this looks like a standard multi-camera studio sitcom and I know those are so hit and miss with the tastes of this forum.

Apparently Behrs and Greenfield were replacements from the original filmed Pilot.

https://deadline.com/2018/06/beth-be...er-1202408157/
Old 10-01-18, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: The Neighborhood (CBS) -- S: Cedric the Entertainer, Max Greenfield, Beth Behrs

Seems like a step down for Greenfield, but I guess he's considered a lead here instead of a supporting character. May be a step down for Behrs even, not sure yet.

After seeing commercials for this for what felt like thousands of time while watching Big Brother this summer, I feel I gotta at least give it a shot.
Old 10-01-18, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I dunno, I've been inundated with commercials for this because of BB too, and at least from the commercials I just don't get the humor. Is it just white people are out of place in the community? That they're too nice? Like the son visits the neighbors for the first time and just laughs because they're white? Or did I miss the joke there?
Old 10-01-18, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by windom View Post
Seems like a step down for Greenfield, but I guess he's considered a lead here instead of a supporting character. May be a step down for Behrs even, not sure yet.
Why would it be a step down? New Girl and 2 Broke Girls are cancelled. They're working actors and got lead gigs in a new major network comedy.
Old 10-01-18, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Probably because New Girl was at least a single camera sitcom, while this seems to be a typical dumbed down CBS 3 camera sitcom. I guess I'm stereotyping here. Also, Greenfield has been getting both movie and dramatic roles lately.

As for Behrs, while 2 Broke Girls was no comedic masterpiece, she was at least the co-lead. Here she seems to be the 3rd or 4th lead. Might be more of "the wife" character.

That being said, I did like the first episode somewhat.
Old 10-01-18, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I keep seeing commercials for this.

Is this the whole premise of the show - white people (with partially black names) moves into a black neighbourhood? I guess they'll be going to that well often.

It doesn't look very good at all.
Old 10-02-18, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm giving just about every new sitcom a shot

I wanted to like this, adore Beth Behrs, but man this was just awkward and not in a good funny awkward (e.g. Stephen Merchant)
Old 10-02-18, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe it can develop into something with time but that was pretty poor. The lines seems so forced and clichéd. Behrs is OK to look at but always felt here comedic delivery was wooden. Greenfield I liked on New Girl but he didn't bring anything spectacular last night. Cedric I guess is supposed to be a 21st century black Archie Bunker?
Old 10-02-18, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That was just terrible.
The setting for the show should be more like Donald Glover's Atlanta down to the interesting character on that show. Then plop random fish out of water Max Greenfield and Beth Behrs next door to Paper Boi. What we got was a very generic sitcom looking area with generic sitcom like families complete with a horrible laugh track.

I expected way more from a show with Cedric The Entertainer in the cast. Plus clearly CBS isn't going to let Cedric cut loose so it's going be to this toned down boring role anyone else could have played.
Like for example Mark-Paul Gosselaar show from back in 2015 "Truth Be Told" has kind of the same theme as far as differences between families and it hit the ground swinging way harder at the random off humor than this show.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4481248

I'm going to guess this show runs a year being it's CBS and odds are Cedric or Max Greenfield are big enough stars to have some sort of must play contract. Yet if it dies in less then 7 eps, not going to be shocked either.
Old 10-02-18, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Not great.. enjoyed Happy Together much more...
Old 10-02-18, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by windom View Post
Probably because New Girl was at least a single camera sitcom, while this seems to be a typical dumbed down CBS 3 camera sitcom. I guess I'm stereotyping here. Also, Greenfield has been getting both movie and dramatic roles lately.

As for Behrs, while 2 Broke Girls was no comedic masterpiece, she was at least the co-lead. Here she seems to be the 3rd or 4th lead. Might be more of "the wife" character.

That being said, I did like the first episode somewhat.
According to him, he seemed to be looking forward to multi-cam. From an interview with Greenfield (and Damon Wayans, Jr.):

What about the multi-cam format appealed to you?

Greenfield: “New Girl” was a wonderful experience but for seven years we were shooting single-cam that is not handheld, that is traditionally shot, and they’re asking you to improv, and you’re on location. It’s a real grind. And on a comedy where you have to be fresh, you’re often walking onto set going, “I don’t even know what we’re shooting today.” … Just to rehearse in general is such a nice change of pace. To work on a scene that, if you’re lucky, somewhat stays the same all week and you can really play on nuanced beats and really focus in on stuff and then tape it in front of a live studio audience where you’re getting that juice and that energy from them —

Wayans: That’s my favorite part.

Greenfield: Yeah, it’s really rewarding. … After you finish on tape night, you really feel like you’ve accomplished something. You’re revved up, and then also tired, but you’re like, “This was a really wonderful acting experience.” … Each week you’re really walking away from it feeling like you’re creating something, as opposed to each week wondering how they’re going to chop this up, and then you watch an episode and you’re like, “I don’t remember having done any of this.”

https://variety.com/2018/tv/features...ew-1202963145/
Old 10-09-18, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Gave it another chance, ep 2 just as bad

kicked to the curb
Old 10-09-18, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I never watched the first episode, and while flipping channels I stopped on this 2nd episode for about 10 minutes out of curiosity. Pretty horrible.

I never knew why they called him "Cedric the Entertainer" - he's never entertained me... and he certainly didn't here.
Old 10-11-18, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He changed his name to Cedric Antonio Kyles for First Reformed the Ethan Hawke movie.
Old 10-12-18, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

2nd episode was mildly amusing, but I can't say this show is funny.

The angst that Calvin has towards Dave and his family feels really forced.
Old 10-19-18, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

https://deadline.com/2018/10/the-nei...bs-1202485957/

CBS picked this up for a full season. 22 episodes total.
Old 10-20-18, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
2nd episode was mildly amusing, but I can't say this show is funny.

The angst that Calvin has towards Dave and his family feels really forced.
My feelings about 2BG. Everything felt so forced to me. There are certainly worse comedic actors but I always felt Behrs must have blown someone to get that job. Hard to believe she was best available that day.
Old 01-25-19, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Renewed for a 2nd season: https://deadline.com/2019/01/fbi-the...bs-1202541995/

I recently binged a bunch of episodes of this on CBS All-Access. It started out a little rough, but it's kind of grown on me. I realize a comedy like this isn't exactly discussion board friendly, so not surprised this thread has been dead for months.