Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Marvel's Daredevil (Netflix) -- Season 3 Discussion Thread -- premieres 10/19/18

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Marvel's Daredevil (Netflix) -- Season 3 Discussion Thread -- premieres 10/19/18

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-18, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: Marvel's Daredevil (Netflix) -- Season 3 Discussion Thread -- premieres 10/19/18

They are both coming back another season but will be cancelled after those seasons air.
Old 12-01-18, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts
Re: Marvel's Daredevil (Netflix) -- Season 3 Discussion Thread -- premieres 10/19/18

Originally Posted by slop101
All this dislike for season 2 of DD... am I the only one who liked it? Heck, more than liked it, I thought it was the best season of all the Marvel Netflix shows.
I thought all 3 seasons were great.
Old 12-01-18, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

I’ve never really been able to get into these shows, but I hate to see them go. There was plenty to enjoy, but the seasons seemed too long and got stuck in too much slog. DD 1 and 2, Luke Cage, and Jessica Jones (I stopped aftert that) all needed to cut 2-3 episodes off and tighten up the story.

That said, I liked the grittiness, the actors were great ... they definitely have something different that attracts viewers. I hate to see this “new” genre go away.
Old 12-01-18, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 162 Posts

I did not even start on Season 3 yet. But as far as who's to blame for the cancellation, I think that it would be BOTH. Whatever you would want to call one of them (penny pinching, greed, business maneuvering, etc.), the other side is probably equally guilty if not more. But it is what it is. Both Netflix and Disney will probably lose some current (as well as future) subscribers due to how they handled these Marvel shows; but in the grand scheme of things neither will be affected much by it, if at all,.
Old 12-01-18, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I know they have access to analyze who's watching what on Netflix. There's a good chance that viewership plummeted. I was never excited to see another DD season. Haven't caught it yet. Fisk and Punisher were the highlights.

I mostly stopped caring. Marvel overload I guess. Looking forward to the MCU theatrical releases though.
Old 12-01-18, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rare Breed22
First when they cancelled Iron Fist, and I did not speak speak out...because the show sucked.

Then when they cancelled Luke Cage, and I did not speak out....because there was Black panther.

Then when they cancelled Daredevil, and I did not speak out....Because the second season sucked.

But then when they finally cancelled Jessica Jones....and there was no one left to speak out on a DVD message board I finally realized it was too late, and the mouse had won.
I hear ya.

IMO, Luke Gage was the best of these series (haven't watched S2 yet).

I had given up on DD and Ironfist.
The 2 lead actors lacked the necessary charisma necessary for a Superhero movie
Anyway, I had given up on JJ too...until her scene-stealing performances in The Defenders.

Originally Posted by slop101
All this dislike for season 2 of DD... am I the only one who liked it? Heck, more than liked it, I thought it was the best season of all the Marvel Netflix shows.
I thought S1 was just "OK" and not really must-watch-TV.
I gave up on S2 after a few episodes when it felt like it really wasn't going anywhere interesting.
Originally Posted by Draven

Serious, fuck you Netflix.
It isn't all about NF, the Mouse played a part.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if these series will be coming back on the Disney Streaming Service anyway.
Old 12-01-18, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Decided to go ahead and try to close out this series this weekend. The creation of Bullseye is pretty interesting. Not happy about the cancellation. So we’re only going to have Jessica, or are we starting a pool on when she get's cancelled too?

Last edited by Orbi-Wan Techno; 12-02-18 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-01-18, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

I love DD all 3 seasons. LG was ok, and so was JJ. Iron Fist I did not like much, probably cuz of the main actor is terrible, everyone else was good. Punisher was kickass.

They should just leave the shit as is and create some other shit for their online streaming service.
Old 12-02-18, 12:32 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Originally Posted by Orbi-Wan Techno
Decided to go ahead and try to close out this series this weekend. The creation of Bullseye is pretty interesting. Happy about the cancellation. So we’re only going to have Jessica, or are we starting a pool on when she get's cancelled too?
They'll announce the cancellation one month after it premieres probably.
Old 12-02-18, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Netflix's Canceled Marvel Shows Aren't Heading to Disney+

https://www.cbr.com/netflixs-cancele...s-disney-plus/
Old 12-02-18, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

No move to Disney plus for any of the Marvel shows.

Dead forever unfortunately. Original source from Alan Sepinwall who looked into the contracts.

Old 12-02-18, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There is no way these would show up the new Disney streaming service — it is slated to be a family service. However, Disney has a large (about to get larger) stake in Hulu and Iger is on record as wanting to develop more content for Hulu.

I don’t know about the contracts on these specific characters, but it would make perfect sense to continue this “style” of show on Hulu. What’s better than people paying you for a streaming service? People paying you for two!
Old 12-02-18, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mrhan
Netflix's Canceled Marvel Shows Aren't Heading to Disney+

https://www.cbr.com/netflixs-cancele...s-disney-plus/
I read the article ... that’s not the first time we’ve heard about this schism between the TV and movie divisions. My question is why doesn’t Disney (or Marvel) just shut down the TV division if things are really like that?
Old 12-03-18, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

be interesting to see if DD S3 sees a home video release
first 2 seasons were pretty low key releases
would hate to not be able to complete the series
Old 12-03-18, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Thanks Netflix!! Yup keep giving me the shitty DTV movies and taking away the series I fucking pay for your service to watch.

BTW Hulu had a Black Friday sale a year for $1 a month. I have that now and will seriously evaluate if I need Netflix anymore.
I got in on the Hulu sale. I just don't see it as a replacement for Netflix at this point in our household (granted the Netflix kids content is pretty good), but then the one dollar plan is the one with commercials.
Old 12-03-18, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

It's sad to me that the cancellation of the series has already gotten far more posts then the actual discussion about Season 3. Which is probably a similar indication to the drastically lower viewership numbers that have been written about the Marvel shows.

I really think the mediocrity of Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and Defenders basically killed the anticipation and excitement for Marvel on Netflix in general and they no longer became the "must see" show that everyone binges on release. Which honestly, is often the case for a lot of Netflix series. A lot of hype and excitement around early shows, which rarely seems to be maintained.
Old 12-03-18, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,001 Likes on 621 Posts

On the one hand, I'm happy for a wide range of options of tv series on Netflix. On the other hand, I think maybe they've oversaturated the service with so many shows and movies that the audience is fractured and spread so thin that the viewership for individual shows suffers.
Old 12-03-18, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

And of course Marvel blames the mediocrity of the shows on Netflix's penny-pinching (as if a good script costs more than a bad one), so they were at a nasty stalemate.
Old 12-03-18, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
It's sad to me that the cancellation of the series has already gotten far more posts then the actual discussion about Season 3. Which is probably a similar indication to the drastically lower viewership numbers that have been written about the Marvel shows.

I really think the mediocrity of Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and Defenders basically killed the anticipation and excitement for Marvel on Netflix in general and they no longer became the "must see" show that everyone binges on release. Which honestly, is often the case for a lot of Netflix series. A lot of hype and excitement around early shows, which rarely seems to be maintained.
For me, with Netflix shows I feel like they're always going to be around so I just procrastinate. I'm still on DD season 1. And I'm a huge comic book fan. But the way they dump all the episodes off at once seems to kill off discussion on boards like this, and in a weird way that's part of my motivation to order stuff that I watch.
Old 12-03-18, 11:00 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
On the one hand, I'm happy for a wide range of options of tv series on Netflix. On the other hand, I think maybe they've oversaturated the service with so many shows and movies that the audience is fractured and spread so thin that the viewership for individual shows suffers.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lqRQ5Y6OYi4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-03-18, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
For me, with Netflix shows I feel like they're always going to be around so I just procrastinate. I'm still on DD season 1. And I'm a huge comic book fan. But the way they dump all the episodes off at once seems to kill off discussion on boards like this, and in a weird way that's part of my motivation to order stuff that I watch.
It's worked kind of the opposite for me, where everyone talks about a new show so I binge it too so I can keep up whereas the weekly shows I can put off on the DVR and catch up after a few weeks. The problem then ends up being as the hype wears off for a show, I also lose interest.

So something like... 13 Reasons Why would be something I binged out of interest as it makes the news and gets a lot of press, but with a mixed reaction to the 2nd season I'm in no rush to watch it and either backburner it or forget it altogether.
Old 12-03-18, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Being a single parent with sole custody of a 5 year old, I don't get a lot of time to sit down to watch shows anymore. So it usually takes me about a month after Netflix dumps a whole season before I manage to finish it myself. That and there was so many shows dumped this Fall that I haven't had a chance to watch them all.

We had Daredevil S3, Sabrina S1, Last Kingdom S3, Castlevania S2, Haunting of Hill House S1, Disenchantment S1, and the Trollhunter spin-off: 3 Below - Tales of Arcadia is coming out later this month.

And this is just from August till now...

Then I still have like a dozen non-Netflix shows through Fall to attempt to keep up on: The Walking Dead, Supergirl, Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow, Flash, Black Lightning, Vikings, Big Bang Theory, Supernatural, Legacies, Van Helsing, and Midnight Texas.

Not counting the anime I'm watching: Black Clover, Fairy Tail, RErideD, That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, A Certain Magical Index S3, Golden Kamuy S2, Ulysses, Goblin Slayer, Sword Art Online S3, and One Piece.

Needless to say I haven't even started a lot of them and I've fallen behind on several too... but will catch up during the Winter break most of those shows goes on for a few months.
Old 12-04-18, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I got in on the Hulu sale. I just don't see it as a replacement for Netflix at this point in our household (granted the Netflix kids content is pretty good), but then the one dollar plan is the one with commercials.
If it has commercials I can't FF, I don't care if it's free...it's a non-starter in my HT.
Old 12-04-18, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Long Twitter thread that pretty much summarizes the reason why Netflix canned the show:

Old 12-04-18, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

I was kind of curious about that, a lot of Netflix shows are 8 to 10 episodes and the Marvel ones should have been as well. I feel like they would have been substantially stronger with shorter runs.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.