DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   How are you watching currently airing shows? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/645313-how-you-watching-currently-airing-shows.html)

DJariya 09-25-18 04:36 PM

How are you watching currently airing shows?

The question is in the thread title. This will be a multiple pick one since I assume you have different patterns depending on shows and time you have.

Live the night it airs

Later the night it airs on DVR

Via DVR within 1 week

Legal ad supported or paid Streaming

On demand

Paid a la carte digital

Via DVR when I'm not busy (could be a week or longer)

I'm not up to date with current shows. Will watch months/years later via streaming/paid digital/DVD/BD

Sorry, those of you who use nefarious means don't count.

I never watch anything live the night it airs. Just don't have time and I don't want to deal with commercials unless it's sports.

These apply to me mostly:

Maybe 2-3 shows later the night it airs on DVR depending on how late it is

Via DVR within 1 week

Legal/Ad supported streaming (Hulu/Netflix)

and on a rare occasion a week or longer. This happens when I end up recording too many programs in 1 night.

This forum is so dead on many busy TV nights and I have a feeling that most here have no urgency to watch anything right away and that's why we got comments days and sometimes weeks later. It progressively grew more deader once people got used to delayed viewing.

Maxflier 09-25-18 04:53 PM

Re: How are you watching currently airing shows?

I don't watch stuff live. Always later via Hulu/Netflix or the networks app.
For the important stuff like Survivor, I watch it on the weekend after it airs.

mphtrilogy 09-25-18 05:00 PM

Just got a new Tivo on the summer breeze sale traded in my old lifetime for a new Vox version. I have an antenna hooked up for OTA, and a fios dvr for cable along with a Netflix and Amazon account. I don’t have hulu so cant watch those shows, get almost all others though.

Boondock Saint 09-25-18 06:10 PM

Mix of options 2,3,4. As the season goes on, I'm sure the longer than 1 week option will also come into play. Luckily there's really not a whole lot of new stuff this year (from the broadcast networks) that I'm planning on watching.

OldDude 09-25-18 06:28 PM

I Tivo everything and usually watch it within 1-2 days.

Giantrobo 09-25-18 07:39 PM

Hulu is my "Watch day after it airs DVR"
HBO GO is my "Watch HBO shows after their regular air time DVR"
CW app on XBOX is my "Watch DC Comic shows next day DVR"
AMC's site is my wife's "The Walking Dead and Fear the Walking Dead DVR". She watches them whenever.

Meanwhile:
Netflix is my "Watch the last season once they post it when new the season starts airing on TV"

Tom Banjo 09-26-18 07:24 AM

I work a 12 hour night shift that gives me time to watch shows, so about 75% of what I watch is through iPad apps via my cable provider log in. If I’m off work I usually have something going on with kid sports, but will still catch up later that night via dvr.

Jay G. 09-26-18 09:22 AM

I checked everything but "Live." Normally I wouldn't have checked "a la carte digital," but Amazon had some $3 complete season deals recently, and that was better than even watching the DVR recording and fast-forwarding through commercials.

birdseye 09-26-18 11:53 AM

I don't watch anything live except Game of Thrones. I DVR everything. Some shows I'll watch within a day or two, some within a week, some months later and some a year or more later. It depends on the show and how excited I am about it.

Count Dooku 09-26-18 01:59 PM

I watch NBC, ABC and FOX shows on HULU. CBS and CW aren't available, so I will try to catch episodes of Big Bang live.

I did watch the Magnum reboot on Monday since I was a fan of the original. I would like to stay with it but I am not going to DL it.

DJariya 09-26-18 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku (Post 13414882)
I watch NBC, ABC and FOX shows on HULU. CBS and CW aren't available, so I will try to catch episodes of Big Bang live.

I did watch the Magnum reboot on Monday since I was a fan of the original. I would like to stay with it but I am not going to DL it.

CBS shows can be watched for free on the ad supported CBS.com.

CW shows can also be watched for free on the CW app and web site.

jpcamb 09-26-18 02:02 PM

I only watch things live very occasionally and then its only on HBO/commercial free. When I still enjoyed the walking dead I would wait until about 10-15 min after it started to be able to FF thru commercials but I don't watch that or any other network shows live that have commercials anymore. Usually DVR and watch the next day for a show like Saul, and within the week for most other things.

Count Dooku 09-26-18 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13414886)
CBS shows can be watched for free on the ad supported CBS.com.

CW shows can also be watched for free on the CW app and web site.

Thanks for the info, but if CBS does not want to get on board with the HULU that I pay for, then too bad (for me or them?)

PhantomStranger 09-26-18 02:14 PM

Outside of sports and news, I don't watch live television. Drowning in available content, scripted shows almost always pile up on the TIVO until I am in the mood to watch them. The quality of the content does affect my schedule. When I was excited to watch the great early seasons of Arrow and The Flash, I'd make it a priority to watch within a day of airing. Now, episodes often get pushed back until the weekend for viewing.

I still have the last two seasons of The Americans to get through and I consider it one of the better shows of this decade.

The only exceptions are new shows airing for the first time. I try to keep up with a show's first few episodes fairly close to broadcast, mostly so I can gauge whether the show is worth the DVR space going forward.

DJariya 09-26-18 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku (Post 13414897)
Thanks for the info, but if CBS does not want to get on board with the HULU that I pay for, then too bad (for me or them?)

CBS does have a deal with Hulu, but only for select older content like Elementary, Blue Bloods, Survivor, The Amazing Race, Life in Pieces, CSI. It’s very limited.

New current stuff can only be watched ad supported for free or paid through All-Access.

You can still stream Magnum in future weeks for free the ad after it airs, but it will have commercials.

Count Dooku 09-26-18 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13414903)
CBS does have a deal with Hulu, but only for select older content like Elementary, Blue Bloods, Survivor, The Amazing Race, Life in Pieces, CSI. It’s very limited.

New current stuff can only be watched ad supported for free or paid through All-Access.

You can still stream Magnum in future weeks for free the ad after it airs, but it will have commercials.

Are you secretly Julie Chen Moonves? Trying to get me to watch CBS shows?

Only interested in one CBS show before this week (BBT). and Magnum was okay to check out but I don't think I will be missing much

DJariya 09-26-18 02:31 PM

:lol:

No, you made it sound like it was inaccessible. That’s all.

Orbi-Wan Techno 09-26-18 03:48 PM

We watch pretty much everything through YouTubeTV DVR and Plex channel apps.

Giantrobo 09-26-18 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku (Post 13414897)

CW has a site and app for watching their shows. http://www.cwtv.com/

Superman07 09-26-18 05:48 PM

Typically DVR and never live. Only live thing I’ve watched outside of sports is Timeless this past year.

We will watch things occasionally the night of if we really want to watch, but always allow ~20 minute buffer and watch from DVR as to skip commercials.

Signed up for Hulu trial this summer and have kept. Have not used during TV season, so don’t know what to expect.

We’d lime to cut cord. I’m leaning towards PS TV, but of course it’s missing 1-2 core things we take time to watch.

If you use streaming services and their DVR functionality - what happens if there are more than 3 concurrent shows you want to watch? Can you get to them via cloud DVR later?

melasnus 09-26-18 05:57 PM

Great poll.

My viewing habits depend on the content.
My more news-oriented shows I'll usually watch within a day or 2 (Anderson Cooper, etc.)
The news-oriented comedy shows I try to see ASAP (Jim Jeffries, Bill Maher, John Oliver).
Because there are so many good series going right now, I've been recording as much as an entire season before binging the whole year.
Recorded movies I'll squeeze in whenever I can (which can be quite awhile).
Life is good in my HT...-popcorn-

Raul3 09-26-18 06:58 PM

Live, Live same night Youtube DVR, during the week YouTube DVR.

Inhumans99 09-27-18 01:35 AM

I chose all options but the last, as I consume via live tv, TiVos, Hulu, Netflix, and I used to hit Comcast on demand more often before I obtained Hulu through Sprint.

I will say this...being in between jobs again has let me catch up on TiVod shows that have been on my TiVos for 6+ months, shows that I wanted to watch but ended up piling up on my TiVos when they originally aired.

MrRound2 09-27-18 08:47 AM

I usually wait until the dvd comes out and then sometimes it takes years for me to get to it. My watch pile is about 3500. But I watch first episodes of new series in interested in to see if it's worth watching.

PhantomStranger 09-27-18 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by MrRound2 (Post 13415425)
I usually wait until the dvd comes out and then sometimes it takes years for me to get to it. My watch pile is about 3500. But I watch first episodes of new series in interested in to see if it's worth watching.

I know how you feel.:lol: