Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

High Fidelity (Hulu) starring Zoe Kravitz -- premieres 2/14/20

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-18, 02:18 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts
High Fidelity (Hulu) starring Zoe Kravitz -- premieres 2/14/20

Zoe Kravitz has been cast in the lead role in the series adaptation of “High Fidelity” at Disney’s upcoming streaming service, Variety has learned.

The series, which has received a 10-episode order, is inspired by Nick Hornby’s novel and the Touchstone film of the same name. It reimagines the story from the female perspective. Kravitz, who will executive produce in addition to starring, will play the ultimate music fan–a record store owner who’s obsessed with pop culture and Top Five lists.

Interestingly, Kravitz’ mother Lisa Bonet starred in the film version opposite John Cusack as musician Marie De Salle.

Kravitz most recently starred in the critically-acclaimed HBO series “Big Little Lies” and will appear in its upcoming second season. She is primarily known for her film work, having appeared in projects like “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them,” “Mad Max: Fury Road,” the “Divergent” films, and “Dope.” She is repped by Paradigm, Untitled Entertainment and Edelstein, Laird & Sobel.

The “High Fidelity” series is created for streaming by writers Veronica West and Sarah Kucserka. West and Kucserka executive produce alongside Midnight Radio’s Josh Appelbaum, André Nemec, Jeff Pinkner, and Scott Rosenberg.

The Disney direct-to-consumer streaming service is scheduled to launch in late 2019 and will feature a wide array of branded original and library content from The Walt Disney Studios, Disney-ABC Television Group, Pixar Animation, Marvel Entertainment, Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm.
https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/zoe...ticle-comments
Old 09-24-18, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 392 Likes on 280 Posts
Re: High Fidelity starring Zoe Kravitz coming to Disney Play

I'd watch this.... on Amazon or Netflix of Hulu. But I doubt I would subscribe to Disney for streaming.

Also I have to wonder if this is marketed toward tweens? Like Jessie or whatever other Disney shows are out there?
Old 09-24-18, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts
Re: High Fidelity starring Zoe Kravitz coming to Disney Play

I'm not expecting a Disney Channel show to play songs by Stiff Little Fingers
Old 04-09-19, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
re: High Fidelity (Hulu) starring Zoe Kravitz -- premieres 2/14/20

Moving to Hulu: https://deadline.com/2019/04/high-fi...tz-1202592038/
Old 04-09-19, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,194 Likes on 4,221 Posts

Cool. I will watch that.
Old 04-09-19, 03:54 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Not sure I can buy this. How can a woman lift a heavy LP?
The following users liked this post:
Hokeyboy (02-11-20)
Old 04-09-19, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

And Hulu being Adult Disney+ has begun
Old 12-20-19, 01:55 PM

After 5 heartbreaks...it's finally time to face the music. High Fidelity premieres February 14th, only on Hulu.

A departure from Nick Hornby’s 1995 novel and beloved 2000 film, Hulu’s High Fidelity centers on Rob (Zoë Kravitz, who also serves as an executive producer), a female record store owner in the rapidly gentrified neighborhood of Crown Heights, Brooklyn who revisits past relationships through music and pop culture, while trying to get over her one true love. High Fidelity also stars Da’Vine Joy Randolph, David H. Holmes, Jake Lacy, and Kingsley Ben-Adir.
I'll watch it... but I don't like how it looks SO much like the film.

Last edited by dex14; 01-17-20 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12-20-19, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: High Fidelity (Hulu) starring Zoe Kravitz -- premieres 2/14/20

I'm in!
Old 12-20-19, 03:11 PM

Looks good but I still have a little problem with the stunningly gorgeous Zoe Kravitz having the same obsessive neuroses regarding her exes that John Cusack would have.
I know anyone could have insecurities but come on. There's a reason she was cast as the impossibly hot young new wife of Reese Witherspoon ex in Big Little Lies.
Old 12-20-19, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 555 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Looks good but I still have a little problem with the stunningly gorgeous Zoe Kravitz having the same obsessive neuroses regarding her exes that John Cusack would have.
I know anyone could have insecurities but come on. There's a reason she was cast as the impossibly hot young new wife of Reese Witherspoon ex in Big Little Lies.
That's the same rationale as saying how could an attractive person suffer from depression or a person in great shape have body dysmorphia. Brains are weird and just because she's gorgeous doesn't mean she can't suffer from obsessive behavior or have other mental issues.
The following users liked this post:
milo bloom (02-19-20)
Old 12-20-19, 06:21 PM

I'm aware of that. But you pretend like there is no issue with appearance in role selection and there is. Not saying good looking people can't have anxieties and low self esteem, but you have to present it in a believable way. Look at There's Something About Mary. Both Ben Stiller and Cameron Diaz have hang ups and anxieties, but they're not the same sorts of anxieties and hang ups. Stiller can feel like a loser and invisible while Diaz is oblivious and just wants to have someone to hang out with and be goofy.

Leonardo DiCaprio is a magnificent actor but he could never play Arthur Fleck like Joaquin Phoenix. You would never buy that he is totally ignored and marginalized, just because he's too good looking and on some level just exudes too much self confidence. Same goes for Tom Cruise.

He's not unattractive but John Cusack had a certain lack of confidence and vulnerability that really works in High Fidelity. I just kind of doubt Zoe Kravitz has that same "thing", but I am willing to watch and see how it is presented.
Old 01-17-20, 01:04 PM

Old 02-11-20, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

TVLine gives it a B plus. https://tvline.com/2020/02/11/high-f...u-zoe-kravitz/ I'm excited to check it out Friday.
Old 02-11-20, 10:17 AM

Sepinwall liked it a lot.

I'm looking forward to it. One of my favorite books and movies.

I love that the turned the scene with the wife trying to sell her husbands records (cut from the movie) into an entire episode with Parker Posey.
Old 02-13-20, 09:37 AM

Nick Hornby: Why a ‘High Fidelity’ Reboot Made Perfect Sense

You have to play the long game, if you want to survive as a writer. The publication of High Fidelity, in 1995, was just the first step in an ambitious 25-year plan: a successful American edition, even though I set the book in London (check); a much-loved Hollywood movie (check); and then a gender-flipped TV series starring a woman who was six years old when the book was published, but whose talent and star power were obvious even then (check). It is very satisfying when these things pay off.

All rubbish, of course. I didn’t know what I was doing. All of this, including finishing the novel in the first place, seemed highly unlikely right up until the point where everything actually happened. And Zoë Kravitz’s Hulu series (premiering February 14th) is perhaps the most unlikely High Fidelity iteration yet. That it makes so much sense, and speaks so directly to a contemporary audience, is a tribute to the star and her team; it also says something about the ability of pop, rock & roll, etc., to inspire enduring devotion and provide a crucial sense of identification and belonging.

When I wrote the book, I had wondered whether all that was on the way out. The original Rob Fleming — whose record store was just off the Holloway Road in Islington, as opposed to Chicago or Brooklyn — was disaffected from his work. He was beginning to suspect that he had dedicated the first half of his life to a cause that was no longer meaningful or relevant. Virgin and Borders megastores were replacing independents. CDs had already replaced vinyl. Only a few German boffins (and certainly no English novelists) had heard of MP3s. Who could’ve predicted that by 2020 the megastores would all be dead and that the plucky if impoverished Robs of the world would be the last ones standing?

High Fidelity the TV show deals with the world we’re in now. The playlists are made digitally, yet the hearts that are broken by feckless men and women are still inconveniently and painfully analog. Somehow, Rob survived the move into the 21st century, because people are still willing to pay for something that’s as ubiquitous as the air we breathe. After I began to use Spotify, I thought, “This is incredible: every piece of music I’ll ever need, in a small box in my pocket.“

But I started to feel that I wasn’t paying the music enough attention, or giving it enough respect. I began to purchase records again, many of them by newer artists. With a record, you have to sit still and listen for 20 minutes, rather than skip after the first 10 seconds. Many of us are surrounded by books we’ll never part with because they tell us who we are. The same applies to music. We want to make our mark, peel off, find a little corner of the planet that is uniquely ours. Our tastes reflect back an image of ourselves, invariably an image much more flattering than a selfie. I didn’t know in 1995 that I was writing a book that would serve as a mirror to future generations — that they too would look in it and see themselves.

And I didn’t know that High Fidelity was going to be a TV series until plans were relatively advanced. When I sold the film rights to the book during the Nineties, I sold the TV rights too. That’s the way it works. But in late 2018, a friend of a friend of Zoë’s got in touch to say that she wanted to talk. It’s weird that her father is a rock star. It’s weird that her mother was in the movie. It’s weird that both of them have posed naked for the cover of this magazine. Maybe this was all some kind of gimmick?

But any doubts about her suitability for the gig, and her deep cultural seriousness, were dispelled partly by our conversation, and partly by the first playlist she sent me, featuring tracks by Alice Coltrane, Tierra Whack, William Onyeabor, Shuggie Otis, Betty Davis, Sun Ra, the Clash, Spirit, the MC5, and Darondo. Zoë might be a bona fide movie star, but she’s done a lot of crate-digging. I was pretty sure that she’d do a good job. She has.

Every time I’ve had cause to dip back into the book, I’ve been struck by its melancholy. That’s transferred to the series; Zoë’s Rob has the blues. Her music is a shield against the world, but it can’t provide all the protection she needs — and in any case, her generation has more to worry about than mine ever did.

I don’t think anyone who has read and loved the book, and/or seen and loved the movie could be disappointed with the series. I couldn’t be more proud of the show. And if I catch anyone saying it’s self-consciously “woke,” what with its gender reversals and its inclusion of more than one race/sexuality, I will come ’round to your house and put you back to sleep. Because, guess what: High Fidelity isn’t just about you. It’s about people who aren’t like you, too.
https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-f...ravitz-938403/
Old 02-15-20, 10:46 AM

I watched it all and really liked it. Zoe is perfect in this role. It repeats a lot of the same (even the same musical cues) from the movie but it expanded outside the scope. I'd definitely watch a second season.

Last edited by dex14; 02-15-20 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-15-20, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I completely forgot about watching this yesterday. Are the episodes 30 minutes or an hour?
Old 02-15-20, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by lwhy?
I completely forgot about watching this yesterday. Are the episodes 30 minutes or an hour?
30ish
Old 02-15-20, 01:06 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Watched the first three episodes so far. I'm into it.
Old 02-15-20, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dex14
30ish
Ok that explains how you binged them all yesterday. I was going to be really impressed if the episodes were an hour long and you wanted them all.
Old 02-16-20, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

This is EXACTLY like the movie! (only longer and with some gender swaps)
It's not bad, but it's just way too similar to the movie to be worth remaking.
Old 02-17-20, 05:38 AM

The biggest difference is adding in the Jake Lacy character.
Old 02-17-20, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I kinda agree with this take...

We Didn't Need The High Fidelity TV Show

The big reason is that Rob, being how the character is, sorta needs to be a male.
Old 02-18-20, 07:58 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

This is really blah. Almost a scene by scene remake of the movie with sex/gender swaps to make it seem woke. I’m about 5 in and I’m just gonna dump it and not bother finishing it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.