DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Big Bang Theory (CBS) -- Season 12 -- The Final Season -- premieres 9/24/18 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/645290-big-bang-theory-cbs-season-12-final-season-premieres-9-24-18-a.html)

dex14 09-24-18 07:33 AM

The Big Bang Theory (CBS) -- Season 12 -- The Final Season -- premieres 9/24/18

https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...15&oe=5C1E79CB

SHELDON AND AMY HONEYMOON, ON THE 12th SEASON PREMIERE OF "THE BIG BANG THEORY," ON A SPECIAL NIGHT, MONDAY, SEPT. 24

Editor's note: The air time of this episode has changed.

Kathy Bates and Teller Return as Amy's Parents, and Neil deGrasse Tyson Guest Stars as Himself

"The Conjugal Configuration" - Sheldon and Amy's honeymoon runs aground in New York, while Penny and Leonard discover they are uncomfortably similar to Amy's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Fowler (Teller and Kathy Bates). Also, Koothrappali insults physicist Neil deGrasse Tyson and starts a Twitter war, on the 12th season premiere of THE BIG BANG THEORY, on a special night, Monday, Sept. 24 (8:00-8:31 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

REGULAR CAST:

Johnny Galecki (Leonard)
Jim Parsons (Sheldon)
Kaley Cuoco (Penny)
Simon Helberg (Wolowitz)
Kunal Nayyar (Koothrappali)
Mayim Bialik (Amy)
Melissa Rauch (Bernadette)

RECURRING CAST:

Kathy Bates (Mrs. Fowler)
Teller (Mr. Fowler)
Neil deGrasse Tyson (Himself)
Bill Nye (Himself)

GUEST CAST:

Giovanni Bejarano (Bellman)
Ciara Renee (Sunny Morrow)
Andy Kim (Tour Guide)

STORY BY: Chuck Lorre, Eric Kaplan, Tara Hernandez

TELEPLAY BY: Steve Holland, Maria Ferrari, Jeremy Howe

DIRECTED BY: Mark Cendrowski
Moves to Thursdays later this week.

Koby 09-24-18 08:21 AM

Re: The Big Bang Theory (CBS) -- Season 12 -- The Final Season -- premieres 9/24/18

So one episode tonight, then it moves to Thursdays and airs the second episode this week....

Honestly I'd have preferred it just stuck with the Monday night time slot, lol. My Thursdays are so full while Monday's are often fairly empty. In any case Wednesday is the emptiest day of the week for this Fall season of television of what I've opted to watch.

Sonny Corinthos 09-24-18 11:44 AM

Re: The Big Bang Theory (CBS) -- Season 12 -- The Final Season -- premieres 9/24/18

I wonder if any of the cast is upset with Jim Parsons not wanting to another season or two? That's a lot of money that's going to be left at the table.

Mike86 09-24-18 11:49 AM

I mean either way it’s lasted a long time. Not sure how much longer they could have really drug it out. It’ll be interesting to see if any of them do anything of note after this ends. They all work on this show but I don’t know if any of them are stars enough to make it in other things (including Parsons).

Coral 09-24-18 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos (Post 13413138)
I wonder if any of the cast is upset with Jim Parsons not wanting to another season or two? That's a lot of money that's going to be left at the table.

The actresses who play Amy and Bernie probably aren't too happy - since I believe they make a lot less than the other 5. Although, I'm sure it's a shitload more money they were making before this show - and more money than I would ever see.

Double_Oh_7 09-24-18 03:15 PM

Thank goodness it's almost over. This show has been running on fumes for at least 3 seasons.

Mike86 09-24-18 10:56 PM

Kind of a so-so season premiere in my opinion. Best parts were with Leonard/Penny and Mr. and Mrs. Farrah Fowler. Howard and Bernadette were kind of just there not doing much and the Sheldon and Amy stuff I didn’t find very funny. Raj’s part was mostly stupid too. Funniest part of it was the end with Neil deGrasse Tyson and Bill Nye. Kinda bittersweet knowing this is going to be the last season but yet I don’t find the show incredibly good anymore.

dex14 09-24-18 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13413601)
Mr. and Mrs. Farrah Fowler.

Just Fowler.

Double_Oh_7 09-25-18 09:24 AM

The premiere was painful to watch. This show was fun when it was about nerd culture. But it has devolved into a relationship comedy... a bad one.

DWilson 09-25-18 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 13413326)
The actresses who play Amy and Bernie probably aren't too happy - since I believe they make a lot less than the other 5. Although, I'm sure it's a shitload more money they were making before this show - and more money than I would ever see.

Still, the actresses have been well set up for their future endeavors. I'm not saying either would be leads, but I'm sure they could get regular work if they wanted. Mayim Bialyk would have to change her look for other shows since she's playing more of a caricature.

dex14 09-25-18 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 13413326)

It is much less, yes. But the original five gave up $100K from their salaries to accommodate. In 2017:

Four-time Emmy nominee Bialik and Rauch's five colleagues each took a $100,000 per episode pay cut (the five originals will be making $900,000 an episode) in a show of support for their co-stars. Rauch and Bialik's deals are said to be for more than $425,000 per episode, up significantly from the $175,000 they negotiated three years ago. The latter deal was brokered before Parsons, Galecki and Cuoco — who negotiated together — each signed $1 million per episode deals that first brought the trio into Friends-level territory. (Helberg and Nayyar saw their salaries this season jump to parity with Parsons, Galecki and Cuoco as part of a "favored nations" clause from their last round of negotiations three years ago.)
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...-return-998201

Mike86 09-25-18 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 (Post 13413752)
The premiere was painful to watch. This show was fun when it was about nerd culture. But it has devolved into a relationship comedy... a bad one.

Agreed. The show was at its best early on when it was just about the guys being the guys. Now it’s just any other relationship sitcom that uses nerdy elements sparingly. About all we get now is usually some science jargon with the occasional reference thrown in (and really last nights’s was Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again, because that’s really something nerds would be into??). I do like the female characters but the dynamic of the show has definitely changed from what it once was.

Paff 09-25-18 12:07 PM

Question:

Do you think the original script had Sheldon thrusting just one hot dog at Amy, but CBS censors nixed that as being too obvious?

Double_Oh_7 09-25-18 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13413840)
About all we get now is usually some science jargon with the occasional reference thrown in (and really last nights’s was Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again, because that’s really something nerds would be into??).

Gay nerds... not that there's anything wrong with that.

General Zod 09-25-18 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13413840)
(and really last nights’s was Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again, because that’s really something nerds would be into??).

Yeah I gotta say I know these characters are "evolving" but I never thought of Sheldon being able to sit through something like that.

Overall they are just going to have fun this season.. I think there will be a lot of guest stars (if we don't see Harrison Ford I'll be very disappointed) but I think they've abandoned many of the older character traits for good.

dex14 09-27-18 05:35 AM

Episode 2 premieres tonight in the regular time slot.

Kdogg 09-27-18 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by General Zod (Post 13413994)
Yeah I gotta say I know these characters are "evolving" but I never thought of Sheldon being able to sit through something like that.

It was Leonard and Raj. That fits both their characters.

eXcentris 09-27-18 04:37 PM

Love this show but it's just not funny anymore. It's almost sad... But hey, I laughed a lot during the 1st episode of Young Sheldon!

Mike86 09-27-18 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Kdogg (Post 13415790)
It was Leonard and Raj. That fits both their characters.

More Raj maybe. I dunno I just thought when that was the main reference of that episode that it was fairly weak.

Kdogg 09-27-18 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13415833)
More Raj maybe. I dunno I just thought when that was the main reference of that episode that it was fairly weak.

Agreed, but Leonard paid of the ticket :)

fumanstan 09-27-18 06:13 PM

It seems like Amy should have been well aware of Sheldon pre-scheduling everything.

Neil deGrasse Tyson and Bill Nye were the highlights for me, which was really just the last 2 minutes of the episode.

Michael Corvin 09-27-18 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 13415881)

Neil deGrasse Tyson and Bill Nye were the highlights for me, which was really just the last 2 minutes of the episode.

Pretty much this. The first 22 minutes were dreadful.

Mike86 09-27-18 10:49 PM

Second episode was considerably better than the premiere in my opinion. Sheldon and Amy trying to figure out the gift from Leonard and Penny and their “scavenger hunt” was good stuff. Kinda sad that Stuart has become less pathetic than Raj. They’ve really shit on Raj for a good chunk of the series considering he’s been there since the start with the other three guys. Howard and Bernadette didn’t do a whole lot this episode but some funny banter between them like the line about being groomed and some of the stuff with them making fun of Stuart after his mishap.

mphtrilogy 09-28-18 07:41 AM

looks like we are headed for a double raj stuart wedding finale with a baby twist for penny... yeah seems like the show has run it's course...

Mike86 09-28-18 10:58 AM

They should have just kept Raj with that quiet girl he saw a couple times I believe a couple seasons ago. At least that way we could have seen their relationship develop. I don’t see more than a couple episodes devoting a lot of time to Raj meeting someone and it’s going to be a tough sell that he’ll end up married by the series finale (if that’s where things are leading). I don’t think with Stuart there’s as much of a need to close the book and marry him off. As long as we see he’s with the girl from his shop and they continue dating throughout the season I think he’ll have a satisfying enough arc.