Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Big Bang Theory (CBS) -- Season 12 -- The Final Season -- premieres 9/24/18

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Big Bang Theory (CBS) -- Season 12 -- The Final Season -- premieres 9/24/18

Old 05-17-19, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Re: The Big Bang Theory (CBS) -- Season 12 -- The Final Season -- premieres 9/24/18

Originally Posted by Jason
(what show was ever perfect from beginning to end?)
Originally Posted by JZ1276
The Sopranos / The Shield / Breaking Bad.
Mad Men, Justice League Unlimited.
Old 05-17-19, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
Re: The Big Bang Theory (CBS) -- Season 12 -- The Final Season -- premieres 9/24/18

This hit me harder than the BBT finale (which was pitch perfect). That young man is a really good actor and was the perfect choice for the character.

Really going to miss this show. It may not have been as good as it's prime (what show was ever perfect from beginning to end?) but it never descended into abject crap. I think keeping the main cast together for the entire run had a lot to do with that. The chemistry between these people made the show a pleasure to watch.
Did they recycle audio of Carol Ann Susi from an old episode of TBBT for the scene with young Howard?
Old 05-17-19, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,271 Likes on 729 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
Did they recycle audio of Carol Ann Susi from an old episode of TBBT for the scene with young Howard?
Yes it was archival footage.
Old 05-18-19, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That was a fun sendoff. He's apologized many times but you always felt he never understood why. The SMG cameo was a nice little add. I don't watch Young Sheldon. I can't recall an actor or character that I took such an instant and intense dislike to as him. It will be interesting to see what happens with that? Will it lose because of losing it's lead-in? Or will it gain? People probably tuned in for the finale that hadn't watched in a long time then stuck around for YS. One thing I've found interesting and strictly anecdotal. On the few occasions I've been to Best Buy recently there are a couple copies of every TV season. Young Sheldon had close to a dozen. So they really sell and I caught them when they were restocked or BB has to keep certain inventory and they don't sell well.
Old 05-18-19, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ1276
The Sopranos / The Shield / Breaking Bad.
Breaking Bad had a slow start. Not a slow burn, just slow. Walt's son setting up his web page, all the talk about Walter's "gambling problem" really but the brakes on the story. I know why they had to do it, but it was still dull. Also, Tuco was cartoonishly over the top crazy and the episode with the giant magnet reeked of fan service. Still an excellent show that deserves all the accolades it receives, but hardly perfect.

And The Sopranos, of course, had probably the most divisive ending in television history. Until tomorrow night, that is.
Old 05-18-19, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 839 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
The SMG cameo was a nice little add.
Forgot to mention that before this episode, I wouldn't have known if SMG was living or dead. Haven't seen her in anything or was even aware of her being in anything.
Old 05-18-19, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

SMG was a sad choice as a grand finale cameo. She's hardly top-of-mind lately for nerds. Maybe JJ Abrams or even George Lucas would have been bigger gets.
Old 05-18-19, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts

Old 05-18-19, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,094 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
SMG was a sad choice as a grand finale cameo. She's hardly top-of-mind lately for nerds. Maybe JJ Abrams or even George Lucas would have been bigger gets.
You think Buffy the Vampire Slayer is a "sad" choice for a celebrity cameo on a show that had an episode where the guys went nuts over meeting River Tam??
Old 05-18-19, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
You think Buffy the Vampire Slayer is a "sad" choice for a celebrity cameo on a show that had an episode where the guys went nuts over meeting River Tam??
Not to mention Leonard gleefully showing Penny Buffy on DVD.
Old 05-18-19, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 332 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by rduncan
Probably not the best place to ask but any free streaming service where I can watch the last 2 episodes? I only have Hulu and Amazon for a paid service. I was out and missed everything except the last 10-15 minutes of the finale. I just wanted to see everything prior to the Nobel speech stuff. I think it may require a CBS all access subscription, however. I may need to try a free trial if nothing else.

Thanks,
It looks like CBS is going to re-air the finale on Monday night (5/20) at 8/7c.
Old 05-18-19, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not to mention Leonard gleefully showing Penny Buffy on DVD.
At least River Tam happened when there was still heavy nerd interest in Firefly/Serenity and the Terminator TV show she as on. Who's still talking about SMG??
Old 05-18-19, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Wow, most finales usually botch something or the entire thing. This was fantastic beginning to end. The only thing I would change, is Raj actually ending up with Sarah Michelle Gellar somehow. The guy with the worst luck in women for 12 years ends up with a nerd's fantasy girl, especially after the big deal they made about him finding his soul mate after dumping Anu.

My only actual gripe (and it's very, very minor) is the subplot about Amy's appearance. It seemed odd to address her frumpy appearance in the finale. They should have burned that story idea off earlier this season. I get that it was one more thing to send Sheldon over the edge but it seemed out of place for the character, period.

That Young Sheldon clip is pretty cool. I wish the series was on Hulu so I could watch it.

Originally Posted by General Zod
I think this was a bit different though. It played off as a final realization by Sheldon that his friends actually meant more to him than anything. He'd been preparing his Nobel speech since he was like 5 years old and when he finally got the opportunity to give it - he reached out to his friends/family to acknowledge their impact on his life and to tell them he loved them. That was it. He took no credit for himself but instead heaped it on the others. That's a HUGE leap from the character we saw at the beginning of the series. He'll always be "quirky" of course.
Wow, well said.
Old 05-19-19, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

At least River Tam happened when there was still heavy nerd interest in Firefly/Serenity and the Terminator TV show she as on. Who's still talking about SMG??
Before I started watching BBT I had no idea people still talked about Dungeons and Dragons.
Old 05-19-19, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Wow, most finales usually botch something or the entire thing. This was fantastic beginning to end. The only thing I would change, is Raj actually ending up with Sarah Michelle Gellar somehow. The guy with the worst luck in women for 12 years ends up with a nerd's fantasy girl, especially after the big deal they made about him finding his soul mate after dumping Anu.:
He did not "end up" with SMG, and there is no way TBBT producers wanted people to think that. Anybody who knows who SMG is, also knows she is married.

The Big Bang Theory’s showrunner, Steven Holland, explained how the moment came about:
I’ve been a fan of Buffy for years. It’s probably the show I’ve watched more than any other. I think a lot of our writers are fans of Buffy. [Having Sarah in the finale] felt like a fun, like, deeper-reel pull that would be exciting to us and exciting to these characters. . . . Chuck got on the phone with [Sarah] and, luckily, the conversation got started with her saying that her family is a huge fan of The Big Bang Theory.
There is a line in there where she says to him, ‘This is not a date.’ We’re aware Sarah Michelle Gellar is fairly famously married in real life [to Freddie Prinze Jr.], so we didn’t want there to be any confusion there.
Old 05-19-19, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You do realize that these same characters were freaking out about the prospect of meeting Bill Shatner this year?
Old 05-19-19, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

He did not "end up" with SMG, and there is no way TBBT producers wanted people to think that. Anybody who knows who SMG is, also knows she is married.
I wasn't implying that was what I thought. I meant I wanted him to end up with her. At the end of the day it's a TV show. Her real life husband doesn't have to exist in this world. Let Raj ride off into the sunset with SMG.
Old 05-19-19, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You do realize that these same characters were freaking out about the prospect of meeting Bill Shatner this year?
You're honestly comparing SMG to the nerd icon status of Shatner?
Old 05-19-19, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow, most finales usually botch something or the entire thing. This was fantastic beginning to end. The only thing I would change, is Raj actually ending up with Sarah Michelle Gellar somehow. The guy with the worst luck in women for 12 years ends up with a nerd's fantasy girl, especially after the big deal they made about him finding his soul mate after dumping Anu.
Or, the guy with the worst luck in women for 12 years is, you know, gay.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Old 05-19-19, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wasn't implying that was what I thought. I meant I wanted him to end up with her. At the end of the day it's a TV show. Her real life husband doesn't have to exist in this world. Let Raj ride off into the sunset with SMG.
What total bullshit!!
Old 05-19-19, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You're honestly comparing SMG to the nerd icon status of Shatner?
Unless you want to explain that TBBT takes place in a universe where ST:TOS is still in production and BtVS is not, my comparison is 100% accurate.
Old 05-19-19, 07:57 PM

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

I was a big fan of the early seasons and lost interest over time. I didn't buy Sheldon's conversion but I still very much enjoyed the last episode.
Old 05-19-19, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Buffy was mentioned in a couple of episodes but to put Gellar on the same level as Shatner is ridiculous. I don't have an issue with her having a cameo, but it's an odd choice for the finale.
Old 05-19-19, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Just watched the finale. Pretty good send off overall and I don’t really have a lot of complaints. Good moments with all the main characters. I liked Sheldon’s Nobel speech and that he was finally nice for once to all of the group. Penny being pregnant was predictable but a nice reveal. I expected a few more cameos. Sort of expected at least a Wil Wheaton appearance as he was one of the only semi-recurring guest characters not in this episode. I will miss the show overall despite complaining about it at times. It was one of the last sitcoms I enjoyed watching.
Old 05-19-19, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 839 Likes on 586 Posts

The talk of Raj having the worst luck with women is funny. I wish I had that amount of bad luck.
Sure, he didn't end up in a long term relationship with them leading to marriage - but he's definitely fighting way above his weight class when dating them in the first place.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.