Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Big Bang Theory (CBS) -- Season 12 -- The Final Season -- premieres 9/24/18

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-19, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: The Big Bang Theory (CBS) -- Season 12 -- The Final Season -- premieres 9/24/18

Wow, I actually laughed a few time's episode. Can't remember the last time I found this show funny,
Old 02-21-19, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 796 Posts
Re: The Big Bang Theory (CBS) -- Season 12 -- The Final Season -- premieres 9/24/18

Leonard claimed that he did not know what Magic Mike was, but his Celebrity D&D Board had JK Simmons connected to Joe Manganiello thru the Spiderman movies (which was a great deep cut for the nerds) but then connected Joe M to Olivia Munn and Channing Tatum thru Magic Mike. We can surmise that it was Raj that saw Magic Mike, but Leonard had certainly heard of it.

This show is placing too much challenge on my suspension of disbelief!!
Old 02-22-19, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
If they want to have a Newhart type ending, have the last scene where young Sheldon wakes up on the set of that show and he tells his twin sister or his mother about this weird dream he just had.
This is sort of one of my guess endings, but it goes back to episode 1 when Sheldon and Leonard go to Pennys ex-boyfrineds to get her TV. He puts Leonard into a coma and wakes in the last episode and the only person who stayed by his bedside over the 12 years in Sheldon.
Old 02-22-19, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

The Newhartesque type endings don't work well with this show - and it would just be stealing that idea.

It worked in Newhart because it was almost like a fish-out-of-water show where Dick was surrounded by morons. This universe was kind of surreal and you wondered how Dick managed in this environment, that it almost felt like it must've been a dream.

None of this really applies to BBT, other than it not being believable that 3 of the guys have/had hot girlfriends.
Old 02-22-19, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,736 Likes on 1,888 Posts

I always took the ending of Newhart to be winking at the audience in a meta way, and not something to be taken literally.
Old 02-22-19, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ1276
Wow, I actually laughed a few time's episode. Can't remember the last time I found this show funny,
Same here. I think Stuart and Kareem got my two laughs.
Old 02-27-19, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This thing is really limping along. We don't even watch live anymore. We still DVR then watch once and delete. The special guests were cool in a jump the shark kind of way had the series not jumped it years ago. The Magic Mike references were the high point.
Old 03-09-19, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

This week was even worse. Sheldon playing with the Wolo-babies because of Amy's subtle manipulation was just sad. And it opened up even more story avenues that are never going to be explored properly (Sheldon becoming a father, Penny advancing her career).

Someone said they thought the best ending would be to go reference back to S1E1, where Leonard said "our babies will be smart and beautiful." Everything past that was Leonard daydreaming. I know it's unoriginal as hell, but the show stopped being original quite a while ago.
Old 05-01-19, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,280 Likes on 731 Posts

Final episode filmed last night. I know it was time but I'll miss the show anyway.
Old 05-02-19, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
If they want to have a Newhart type ending, have the last scene where young Sheldon wakes up on the set of that show and he tells his twin sister or his mother about this weird dream he just had.
Maybe the whole show was a dream of Professor Proton. Now THAT would be meta.
Old 05-03-19, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 332 Likes on 175 Posts

Here are some interviews from the series finale wrap party red carpet. No spoilers about the actual finale.
Old 05-10-19, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice moment for Leonard and his Mom this week.. solid ep..

only one more left..
Old 05-10-19, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

I miss the old show when it was about four nerds and a pretty girl that lived across the hall. Since it's become Friends with Science, it's been going down hill for a long time now. JMO, but TBBT will be remembered as the show that stayed on too long and wore out it's welcome. Still, it will be strange to think there will be a new show in the fall in the Thursday night at 8pm time slot.

Last edited by Sonny Corinthos; 05-11-19 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-10-19, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
I miss the old show wen it was about four nerds and a pretty girl that lived across the hall. Since it's become Friends with Science, it's been going down hill for a long time now. JMO, but TBBT will be remembered as the show that stayed on too long and wore out it's welcome.
This.
Had to quit a few seasons ago.
LOVED the first what, 3-4 seaons? Then when Sheldon's girlfriend became a regular this show went to hell.
Old 05-10-19, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I really don't understand a lot of the complaining about this show. It's a known quantity and not supposed to be Masterpiece Theater. I'll miss it when it's gone. I'm glad to have seen it filmed live a couple of times.
Old 05-10-19, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Didn’t realize there’s only the finale left. Last Thursday it said three left, so one should have been last night and I figured one more regular episode and then the series finale. Guess they’re counting the finale as the final two. I haven’t been keeping up to date the entire season, but I’ve watched the last few.

Last nights episode was pretty good. Kinda glad they didn’t just shoehorn Raj into a marriage just for the sake of neatly marrying them all off. At the same time I feel like his character got the most shafted on the show. The part with Leonard and his mom was good too.
Old 05-10-19, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I always love the "the show sucked since they introduced the gurlz!" stance. "It was better when it was just four nerds!" Bernie and Amy were in season 3. Not regulars, mind you, but they were there. So for two whole seasons, it was 4 nerds + Penny. So people watched 10! more seasons with characters they hate and and consider bringing the show down. That's some serious hate watching.

Lighten up fellas. It's been a light-hearted and fun ride.
Old 05-10-19, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Eh the show was undeniably in its prime when most of the episodes focused on the core group (Penny included) before turning into the standard relationship comedy show. There were no doubt good episodes featuring Amy and Bernadette though. I still feel like the show was in its prime from around season one until like seven or eight. It’s been coasting since then and has been spotty at best. I still watch and enjoy it to an extent but mostly think it’s overstayed it’s welcome. I will miss it though as there aren’t a lot of enjoyable network sitcoms.
Old 05-10-19, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I always love the "the show sucked since they introduced the gurlz!" stance. "It was better when it was just four nerds!" Bernie and Amy were in season 3. Not regulars, mind you, but they were there. So for two whole seasons, it was 4 nerds + Penny. So people watched 10! more seasons with characters they hate and and consider bringing the show down. That's some serious hate watching.

Lighten up fellas. It's been a light-hearted and fun ride.
Well, they might still right the ship and get the show back to it's roots sometime in.....the next six days?
Old 05-11-19, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Yeah, this show lost me when it became a relationship comedy. I loved the first 5-6 seasons, now I delete episodes without even watching. But I'll check out the finale to see how they end it.
Old 05-11-19, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
I really don't understand a lot of the complaining about this show. It's a known quantity and not supposed to be Masterpiece Theater. I'll miss it when it's gone. I'm glad to have seen it filmed live a couple of times.
I blame the Internet. Everything is picked apart to the point where no one can enjoy anything anymore.

I'm going to miss it too. I know it'll be on for the next decade or so in reruns before it's replaced by some other Chuck Lorre show that will be run into the ground on TBS though. It's just that so much is ending right now. This, Game of Thrones, the MCU as we know it, Gotham. Saw my last ever Kiss concert in March. All of this gone over the course of a month or so. Hell, Star Wars is essentially ending this December. Enough already!

Old 05-12-19, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

The show had a lot of issues the second half of its life, but I don't blame the addition of of Amy and Bernadette - even if it threw the show more into the relationship stuff.
I liked their additions - it's opened up story lines and helped the original characters grow. I can't imagine watching 12 seasons of these nerds doing the same thing and acting the exact same way - while Penny hangs around them for no reason and not having any female friends.

Also thankful they changed Amy from the Sheldon clone/robot to someone with a personality.

It's good that Raj ditched Anu.. She seemed to have less screen time than some of Raj's other girlfriends, yet he was supposed to marry this one?
It was odd a couple episodes back seeing her in a short single scene where Raj gave her a tour of his office. It had no relevancy to any plot of story line and wasn't even a set up for any grander joke. It really felt like the writers thought "Oh, we forgot about Anu... let's get her into a scene somewhere".

The show was never great, and definitely had its fair share of bad episodes - but I'll still miss it somewhat.
Old 05-12-19, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was surprised they never did anything with the veterinarian. They seemed like they were trying to set him up with a likeable, smart character and just bailed after one appearance.

Either this week or last, I forget, there were some Raj references to Notting Hill. Not a big Julia fan but do love that movie. Put it in last night. Even my wife mentioned; "are we watching this because of TTBT?" Yup.

Twelve years of Sheldon doucherie is too much. They had to introduce new characters or else stop the series after 8 or 9. Although the whole relationship centered characters were a departure, the Amy and Bernadette allowed them to infuse some new humor which was sorely needed even if it was different.
Old 05-15-19, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 332 Likes on 175 Posts

The hour long series finale is tomorrow (5/16), followed by Young Sheldon. Following that, there's a BBT behind the scenes special, hosted by Johnny & Kaley. Later Thursday night, the full cast will be on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert.
Old 05-16-19, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,280 Likes on 731 Posts

This is it! I'm really going to miss this show. Was great to have had the opportunity to see them tape it and I wish all of them great success in the future.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.