Manifest (Now on Netflix)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-18, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Manifest (Now on Netflix)

"MANIFEST"

"PILOT" ORIGINAL

09/24/2018 (10:00PM - 11:00PM) (Monday) : Returning to New York from a family vacation in Jamaica, the Stone family is separated when adult siblings Michaela (Melissa Roxburgh) and Ben (Josh Dallas), along with Ben's gravely ill son Cal (Jack Messina), are bumped to a later flight, while Ben's wife, daughter and parents fly ahead. When that later flight lands, the passengers are bewildered to discover that five and a half years have gone by. They attempt to reconnect with the loved ones who mourned their passing and moved on long ago, and try to make sense of a mystifying phenomenon steering them to act in ways they don't understand. Also starring Athena Karkanis (Grace Stone), J.R. Ramirez (Jared Vasquez), Luna Blaise (Olive Stone) and Parveen Kaur (Saanvi Bahl). TV-PG L, V

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Dwc27Lsr1EY" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Early reviews aren't that good.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/manifest/s01/

https://www.metacritic.com/tv/manifest
Old 09-24-18, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
re: Manifest (Now on Netflix)

Yeah, I’m definitely getting an The Event 2.0 vibe from this one. Even similar to a show that was on, I think this past summer, where refuges from the future turned up on a beach. The idea sounds interesting, but the trailers haven’t even been that good.

And oh my gosh. How has it been 8 years since The Event premiered?!

And yes, sounds like it’s all kinds of weak. https://tvline.com/2018/09/23/manifest-review-nbc-sci-fi-drama-premiere-josh-dallas/
Old 09-24-18, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

Highly interested in this one. Love unique shows like this, instead of your standard cop, lawyer, and doctor shows.
Old 09-24-18, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hope it's decent, previews look pretty good
Old 09-24-18, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I thought the 15 minutes of the pilot they had online was interesting enough for me to tune in and finish it.
Old 09-24-18, 03:23 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Teaser intrigued me, set youtubeTV to record it.
Old 09-24-18, 04:30 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

this smells like a show that will have a great pilot, then be tediously bad, then have a great finale ending on a cliffhanger that will never be resolved due to its inevitable cancellation.
Old 09-24-18, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
Highly interested in this one. Love unique shows like this, instead of your standard cop, lawyer, and doctor shows.
Yeah, I personally have no use for the average network cop, lawyer and doctor shows, so this will be the first network drama I've checked out in years, it looks interesting.
Old 09-24-18, 04:58 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
this smells like a show that will have a great pilot, then be tediously bad, then have a great finale ending on a cliffhanger that will never be resolved due to its inevitable cancellation.
Old 09-24-18, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I wasn't planning on watching but fuck it, i'll record it and check it out. I have a very limited new show schedule this year, so why not.
Old 09-24-18, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
Yep. NBC isn't going to suck me in again.
Old 09-24-18, 06:24 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Yep. NBC isn't going to suck me in again.
Same. If it becomes anything, I'll catch up on a streaming.
Old 09-24-18, 07:51 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Spoiler:

Who doesn't make a backup for six weeks of research?

Old 09-25-18, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

Oooooh, now that was an interesting pilot. I didn’t watch any trailers or commercials, so I was expecting a plane crash and a small part of it being a LOST ripoff, but nope.

I’m sold.

The cast seems all right so far, but I’m definitely sticking around for more.
Old 09-25-18, 02:50 AM

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

I agree MLBFan24...this was a real win for me and I am in. I just will hope for the best, that is the show runners not making things up the second before each ep airs, and that this type of show can gain enough eyeballs so at least a dozen eps make it to air.
Old 09-25-18, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by grundle
Spoiler:

Who doesn't make a backup for six weeks of research?

She did, though? I mean, the dude says he got the research and used it as the basis of whatever miracle cure they were doing. I was actually a little confused on that point as well.

I thought there'd be a little more of the "wow the world has changed in five years" but they only briefly touched on it with the "got rid of our landline" thing. Not even a "who's president now?" mention.
Old 09-25-18, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

So they only quarantined the people on the plane a few days then just let them go back to their lives? You'd think they'd do a lot more testing on them and keep them longer. Also, they just leave the plane sitting out and not in some hanger somewhere to analyze?

Also they didn't really show the public and media reaction to such an event. Wouldn't the passengers being doing the talk show circuit?
Old 09-25-18, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by windom
So they only quarantined the people on the plane a few days then just let them go back to their lives? You'd think they'd do a lot more testing on them and keep them longer. Also, they just leave the plane sitting out and not in some hanger somewhere to analyze?

Also they didn't really show the public and media reaction to such an event. Wouldn't the passengers being doing the talk show circuit?
I initially thought that too, but once the cat was out of the bag in terms of the passengers being found, I'm not sure how long the government could have held on to them, separated from their loved ones, after surmising that there was nothing physically wrong with them.

Obviously a lot of stuff is "moving the plot" related, like the plane being out where they could easily see it blowing up, the dad not talking to his son about hearing voices once he figures out others probably can, the passengers not really banding together in some kind of support group before they all gathered together, etc.
Old 09-25-18, 01:41 PM

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I thought it was pretty good. I think it is a limited premise though. I'll keep watching for now.
Old 09-25-18, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Note to self. If your inner-voice is going to talk to you... try to be more specific.
Old 09-25-18, 04:40 PM

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean
Note to self. If your inner-voice is going to talk to you... try to be more specific.

I just assumed it was her mother's voice from beyond and she was limited to two words per message. Like she ended up with a crappy afterlife messaging plan.
Old 09-25-18, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

I can't recognize one person in the cast.
Old 09-25-18, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Quatermass

I just assumed it was her mother's voice from beyond and she was limited to two words per message. Like she ended up with a crappy afterlife messaging plan.
It's really a very specific set of things they're going to be able to solve with 8 28.

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I guess you never watched Once Upon a Time or the first Thor movie (before they recast Fandral?)
Old 09-25-18, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

Those are some obscure references. I assume the producers think the theme or story is more important then casting stars in the show.
Old 09-25-18, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

In for cancellation!

With concepts like this, I would prefer a mini or extended series. I want to see more than a movie yet after a dozen episodes it will be spinning it's wheels a bit to just end on a cliffhanger to maybe get renewed.

Curious, is that something that is supposed to matter?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.