Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

9-1-1 (FOX) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 9/23/18

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-23-18, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

THE HOTTEST DAY OF THE YEAR HAS THE FIRST RESPONDERS FEELING THE PRESSURE ON PART ONE OF THE ALL-NEW, TWO-NIGHT "9-1-1" SEASON TWO PREMIERE SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 23, ON FOX

On one of the hottest days of the year, the first responders feel the pressure as harrowing incidents keep happening around the city, including a road rage accident involving a van full of tourists, an emergency at an auto-repair shop and a veteran with a live grenade embedded in his leg. Meanwhile, Buck gets a surprise visit from his sister, Maddie (Jennifer Love Hewitt). Also, Athena questions her relationship with Bobby. Then, at the fire station, handsome new hire Eddie (Ryan Guzman) jeopardizes Buck's chances of being chosen for a fireman calendar in the all-new "Under Pressure" Season Premiere, Pt. 1, episode of 9-1-1 airing Sunday, Sept. 23 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/5:00-6:00 PM PT/LIVE to all Time Zones) on FOX. (NIN-201) (TV-14 D, L, S, V)

Cast: Angela Bassett as Athena Grant; Peter Krause as Bobby Nash; Jennifer Love Hewitt as Maddie Kendall; Oliver Stark as Evan "Buck" Buckley; Kenneth Choi as Howie "Chimney" Han; Aisha Hinds as Henrietta "Hen" Wilson; Rockmond Dunbar as Michael Grant; Ryan Guzman as Eddie Diaz; Corinne Massiah as May Grant; Marcanthonee Jon Reis as Harry Grant

Guest Cast: Debra Christofferson as Sue Blevins; M.C. Gainey as Charlie; Christopher Rivas as Hector

2-night, 2 episode premiere. Episode 2 will air Monday night.

Expected to be a 16 episode 2nd season.
Ryan Murphy said 8 will air in the Fall and 8 will air in the Spring.

Jennifer Love Hewitt is a new cast member. She's replacing Connie Britton who left after her 1 year contract expired.
Old 09-23-18, 08:35 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: 9-1-1 (FOX) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 9/23/18

huge upgrade IMO. the show is dumb fun, but the most cringy aspect was the relationship with Connie Britton and the himbo who, I'm sorry, couldn't pull off being in her early 40s like she was supposed to be.
Old 09-24-18, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I loved it. So over the top and fun.

at the guy getting a microwave cemented on his head.

That was some impressive prosthetic work on the guy blowing up after falling on the air pump on his ass and then deflating afterwards.

I guess Buck and the new guy are going to be competing to be the Firehouse stud. I couldn't place the new guy and looked him and looks like the most notable recent project he did was Heroes Reborn.

I bet the psycho ex-husband of J-Love Hewitt will play a factor at some point this season. She is a nice addition as the new 911 operator.
Old 09-25-18, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Part 2 was equally great.
Old 09-25-18, 01:49 PM

I thought this was supposed to be a 2 parter. Now it's at least 3 (or more) parts?
Old 09-25-18, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Can't wait to dive in. Love this show.
Old 09-25-18, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

2nd episode from last night was awesome. Amazing special effects for a TV budget. It was almost movie quality earthquake effects. This has to be the most expensive episode of 911 ever.

Was not surprised to see the sleazebag boss fall to his death.

Yeah I guess this earthquake storyline is going to be multi-part.
Old 09-26-18, 02:47 PM

We watched the first year, until it got too dumb. I'm not sure why Connie was on the show? I assume she's not 'in Italy', but isn't coming back? That would be 2 shows in a row she's left.
Any info on if she's coming back or not? Thanks
Now the young guy staying in her place is stuck with that vintage/ faux-Victorian kitchen. Did Connie choose that? Did they really think a 911 operator could afford these appliances? I looked them up. They were not cheap!
I'm guessing the producer liked it, and it will soon be in his country home...
Old 09-26-18, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by jondoe88 View Post
We watched the first year, until it got too dumb. I'm not sure why Connie was on the show? I assume she's not 'in Italy', but isn't coming back? That would be 2 shows in a row she's left.
Any info on if she's coming back or not? Thanks
Now the young guy staying in her place is stuck with that vintage/ faux-Victorian kitchen. Did Connie choose that? Did they really think a 911 operator could afford these appliances? I looked them up. They were not cheap!
I'm guessing the producer liked it, and it will soon be in his country home...
Connie is not returning. She only signed on for 1 season. She's going to be in a new series on a different Network. Jennifer Love Hewitt is essentially her replacement.
Old 09-26-18, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Caught up on S2 eps and it was wild as always.
Old 10-12-18, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I had a little problem with this week's episode.

They just spent a 3-episode arc on what was probably one of the biggest and deadliest earthquakes in LA (7.1) and this episode made it seem like nothing happened.

Los Angeles looked fine and dandy. There would still be residual effects of the destruction. I know being that this is a weekly procedural, that would be way too difficult to pull off. Especially with the locations. But, it lacked continuity.

I at the fat security guard being saved from falling to his death by his gut.
Old 10-12-18, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah a major quake where buildings fell? That's some some shit that would be everyone's main concern for at least several weeks.
Old 10-12-18, 05:57 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

terrible episode for a terrible show. yet I keep watching.
Old 10-12-18, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by TGM View Post
terrible episode for a terrible show. yet I keep watching.
I keep watching too, although I think it is horribly cliched overtly PC and sort of hackneyed, yet for some reason it is effective in its own way.
Old 10-13-18, 10:35 PM
JR1

Been watching the show since the first episode. Now, not sure if I'm reading too much into things, but... is anyone else getting a vibe that the show turn the Buck/Eddie bromance into an actual romance? I don't think Buck is gay, but, given his situation with Abby, maybe he finds himself drawn to Eddie and gets curious. When they showed a scene of Buck and Eddie with Eddie's son, I thought, "The kid's gonna have two dads." lol And just look how Buck got hold of the nurse for Abby's mother, for Eddie and his son.

Was Buck's sister's "joke" about Buck's boy crush foreshadowing? Were those girls at the scene of the tail-pipe incident really not Eddie's type, or was that foreshadowing of his sexuality? There's also backstory we have yet to learn about the mother of Eddie's son.

The show has a main character who is a lesbian, so maybe it's time for a male (Athena's husband is a supporting character, so he doesn't really count). And it is a Ryan Murphy show, so...

Thoughts?
Old 10-14-18, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by JR1 View Post
Been watching the show since the first episode. Now, not sure if I'm reading too much into things, but... is anyone else getting a vibe that the show turn the Buck/Eddie bromance into an actual romance? I don't think Buck is gay, but, given his situation with Abby, maybe he finds himself drawn to Eddie and gets curious. When they showed a scene of Buck and Eddie with Eddie's son, I thought, "The kid's gonna have two dads." lol And just look how Buck got hold of the nurse for Abby's mother, for Eddie and his son.

Was Buck's sister's "joke" about Buck's boy crush foreshadowing? Were those girls at the scene of the tail-pipe incident really not Eddie's type, or was that foreshadowing of his sexuality? There's also backstory we have yet to learn about the mother of Eddie's son.

The show has a main character who is a lesbian, so maybe it's time for a male (Athena's husband is a supporting character, so he doesn't really count). And it is a Ryan Murphy show, so...

Thoughts?
Exceedingly unlikely. I have not gotten that vibe at all, though it does seem to want to push unusual matchups so you never know.
Old 10-28-18, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Just got caught up with the last 2 episodes.

The last one with the crew getting spiked with LSD in the brownies was very funny.

That red head reporter, who was covering the team, was gorgeous. Really surprised that she and Buck didn't hook up. But, he still seem to think that Abby is coming back and has some loyalty to her.

and I think Jennifer Love Hewitt has been a solid addition to the show. I'm sure at some point they're going to bring in her ex to cause some trouble.

The thing I find most entertaining is how way over the top the emergencies. Sure, it's not realistic at all and some of you may groan at how ridiculous they are. But, I kind of like how this show sometimes doesn't take itself too seriously in spots. The dude who ate too many crickets being one of them.

and I'm glad they didn't go into a huge custody fight with Henrietta, her partner, their kid and the biological father.
Old 10-29-18, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah JLH has been a great addition.
Old 10-29-18, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
The last one with the crew getting spiked with LSD in the brownies was very funny.
This was the first episode of the show I've watched. I've avoided it because that last show Peter Krause was in was cringe worthy. Gave it a shot and it's pretty good. I added a season pass. JLH certainly doesn't hurt.
Old 11-26-18, 11:04 PM

Going into this episode, I kept thinking they're probably going to have JLH's ex appear and that it would be the very last thing in the episode. Sure enough...

Probably not that hard to predict though since it seems like something a show like this would do in its mid-season finale.
Old 11-27-18, 08:06 AM

Just chiming in on this thread. I dismissed this show when season 1 was on. Heard some positive rumblings (here and elsewhere) and eventually gave it a try. Binged the season in a week. I haven't started on S2 yet, but this show is fun to watch. Crisis of the week, some soap opera elements thrown in for good measure. As stated, a nice blend of over-the-top antics and backstory thrown in.

Reminds me of Six Feet Under (i.e., death of the week) and in some indirect way, CSI. Regardless, it's a fun show and I'm looking forward to catching up on S2 over the holiday season.
Old 11-28-18, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This show has always had some unbelievable situations but this week's was over the top. I mean, c'mon, someone renting a movie in a video store? Who does this?
Old 11-28-18, 04:11 PM

They still have Family Video stores where I live...not sure about L.A. The show is set in L.A., right?
Old 11-28-18, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by windom View Post
They still have Family Video stores where I live...not sure about L.A. The show is set in L.A., right?
Yes Los Angeles. And video stores died here a few years ago.
Old 11-28-18, 05:26 PM

Oh, what was up with the weird tree salesman guy who later showed up in the video store? I thought they were hinting that he wasn't really there at first, but he did pay for the video. I think his character name was Jason Bailey and figured it was a reference to It's a Wonderful Life.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.