Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

9-1-1 (Now on ABC) -- S: Peter Krause, Angela Bassett

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-18, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
9-1-1 (Now on ABC) -- S: Peter Krause, Angela Bassett

DISCOVER THE INTENSITY BEHIND EMERGENCY CALLS ON THE ALL-NEW SERIES PREMIERE OF "9-1-1" WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 3, ON FOX

It takes a team of people to help answer the famous question, "911, what's your emergency?" DETECTIVE ATHENA GRANT (Angela Bassett) works as a member of the police force, handling cases that require her sharp mind and expertise, while also trying to juggle her own family drama. BOBBY NASH (Peter Krause) and his team of firefighters help execute the daring rescues that often come along with these life-threatening situations. Meanwhile, ABBY CLARK (Connie Britton) spends her days taking and fielding emergency calls at the 911 call center, but constantly desires to know what happens after she sends help. Don't miss the intense and emotionally charged introduction to this team in the all-new "Pilot" series premiere episode of 9-1-1 airing Wednesday, Jan. 3 (9:00-10:01 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (NIN-101) (TV-14 D, L, S, V)

Cast: Angela Bassett as Athena Grant; Connie Britton as Abby Clark; Peter Krause as Bobby Nash; Oliver Stark as Evan "Buck" Buckley; Aisha Hinds as Henrietta "Hen" Wilson; Kenneth Choi as Howie "Chimney" Han

Guest Cast: Corinne Massiah as May Grant; Marcanthonee Jon Reis as Harry Grant; Mariette Hartley as Abby's Mom, John Marhsall Jones as Dave Morrisey; Gavin Stenhouse as Priest

This was created by Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk, the creators of American Horror Story, Glee and American Crime Story.

One more thing to mention, this is a case of the week procedural.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zTQj3UgIj74" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-03-18, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: 9-1-1 (FOX) -- S: Peter Krause, Connie Britton, Angela Bassett -- Premieres 1/3/1

Heck of a pedigree for a mid-season launch. I'm interested...slightly.
Old 01-03-18, 08:59 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Re: 9-1-1 (FOX) -- S: Peter Krause, Connie Britton, Angela Bassett -- Premieres 1/3/1

I was going to check out based on all of those involved, but the reviews aren't good, and I don't like procedurals.
Old 01-03-18, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk God

I saw 2 promos for this in the last month that had different pronunciations of Peter Krause's name in the voice over.

One pronounced it...."Krouse" Most probably assume it's this.

and the other pronounced it "Krousuh"

Apparently the 2nd one is the correct way to say his name.

I'm guessing this show was the reason why Connie Britton left Nashville. Plus she lives in Los Angeles where this is filmed.
Old 01-03-18, 11:47 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Yes, it is the second pronunciation.

Isn't the reason she left Nashville because Hayden is a bitch and she couldn't stand working with her?
Old 01-04-18, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I hope this is good. I have adored Connie Britton for years.
Old 01-04-18, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Decent enough show, it's really just dragged down by being a semi-clone of Chicago:fire with just another layer of 911 services in the mix. It's clearly going to be mostly about the firehouse vs the one female officer. Tough to be objective about these sort of shows as I'm pretty burned out on EMT/cop/fire and this one is straight classic family problem, brash rookie going against the rules etc.

I think if a person is looking for a new all around general EMT/911 show it's not bad or anything. I just really would like to see something other than yet another drama cop/fire/legal/medical show. Good cast should be able to pull in some of the Chicago:Whatever fans being they have to be getting burned out after something like 4+ spin offs.
Old 01-04-18, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Not bad, I would watch again, I like Connie, Peter and Angela so I will tune in again.

Some of the scenarios were interesting enough like the baby one... the oversexed young dude was a bad storyline, looks like Krause bulked up a bit from his Parenthood years..., Connie seems like she doesn't have enough to do here...

It's on a short leash but will def tune in again for a few eps...
Old 01-04-18, 11:39 AM

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

This was better than I expected. It kind of reminded me of the old Emergency! TV series from the 70's where they go on different interesting calls every week. It could be good if they keep the "soap opera" content under 25% and feature the rescues, etc. That's probably not likely since it costs less to film the relationship dramas and the actors prefer the character development. I plan to watch more episodes.
Old 01-04-18, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Quatermass
This was better than I expected. It kind of reminded me of the old Emergency! TV series from the 70's where they go on different interesting calls every week. It could be good if they keep the "soap opera" content under 25% and feature the rescues, etc. That's probably not likely since it costs less to film the relationship dramas and the actors prefer the character development. I plan to watch more episodes.
I thought of Emergency as well...

No Hospital in this one though, that might have been a good idea...
Old 01-04-18, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I also like it more expected to. I just hope they don't drag the cop's story with her husband or rookie firerfighter's troubles.
Old 01-05-18, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

I wasn't expecting much from this (I don't know why given the acting talent) and was pleasantly surprised. I haven't added a season pass yet but I'll give it a few episodes before making a decision.
Old 01-06-18, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Very similar to the Chicago shows, but differentiated with the 911 operator aspect. It's very procedural, so don't expect any new territory covered here.

I liked Krause as the lead firefighter and liked Britton as the 911 operator. Bassett and Dunbar's home life subplot could be a trainwreck. I hope they don't focus too much on that and more on her work as a cop. The home invasion robbery in the final scene could have been more compelling had they not cast two actors who looked like dim wits and did not look threatening at all.

The newborn baby stuck in the pipe rescue sequence was quite well done and believable.
Old 01-08-18, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked the first episode. It doesn't feel like a retread of Chicago Fire to me. I sampled Chicago Fire during it's first season, but I didn't stick with it. I still don't watch it except for crossovers even though I love Chicago PD (I don't watch Chicago Med, and didn't stick with Chicago Justice either).

So far this show isn't about solving things in the traditional sense (medical cases, fire cases, police cases, legal cases) it's about responding to emergencies. I think it's effective to show that they're not always going to win, like they didn't with the jumper.

I also liked that they showed the new guy not taking the job seriously enough and having to come around. I liked Bobby's (Peter Krause) disposition, even though he'd dealt with the job poorly recently. One of the tropes of professionalism is that you shouldn't allow yourself to get emotionally involved in cases for two reasons:

1) It will hinder your objectivity and prevent you from methodically doing the best job you can
2) You'll burn out

There is certainly truth in that, but there's a balance. Given an option, I'll always take a proficient professional that at least cares a little bit about my situation over one who doesn't, whether that be doctor, lawyer, or anyone else. But it's possible to slippery slope yourself too far in either direction. That aspect of doing the job played out in this first episode in various ways, and it's enough to keep me interested for now.
Old 01-09-18, 01:55 PM

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Forgot to watch this over the weekend so I watched before I went to sleep and to echo others it was a pleasant surprise. I actually liked the conflict between the now out of the closet to all his family husband and Bassett, he rebukes her saying hey you got kids out of this marriage like you wanted, and she is torn that he should have not waited an eternity before saying something. Also, the daughter basically saying hey...I am woke, not really okay but more concerned that it will get out to her friends and mates at school, this rings true to me as to how a kid who still wants to be with and loves their parents after such a revelation might react (there is being embarrassed by your parents and then there is being being embarrassed by your parents).

I look forward to enjoying the show.
Old 01-11-18, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Wouldn't the cops have at least asked the guy with the dogs for his ID to verify that he lived there? After watching a lot of Live PD, that's what I would expect.
Old 01-11-18, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by windom
Wouldn't the cops have at least asked the guy with the dogs for his ID to verify that he lived there? After watching a lot of Live PD, that's what I would expect.
I have not finished the ep but that struck me as a bit sloppy on the part of the show...the guy was bleeding due to the dog attacks but he seemed able to pull of an Irish goodbye and avoid being held up by the paramedics and first responders?
Old 01-11-18, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by windom
Originally Posted by Inhumans99
I have not finished the ep but that struck me as a bit sloppy on the part of the show...the guy was bleeding due to the dog attacks but he seemed able to pull of an Irish goodbye and avoid being held up by the paramedics and first responders?
I agree with both you on that part of the episode. Other than that, it was an ok episode.
Old 01-12-18, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk God

The 2 crazy deaths from the roller coaster accident were pretty harrowing to watch, especially the fat guy falling away from Buck's grasp.

It was a decent follow up. I don't think they're going too overboard with the "at home" scenes. I do like that they're trying to add a little more depth to Abby.

Agree, the burglary scene was sloppy. No cop would be that stupid and not ask for ID to see if that person actually lives there.

And it just hit me, I can't believe the actress who plays Connie's Mom is Mariette Hartley. I don't think I've seen her in anything significant in years. She's pushing 80, so she definitely works age-wise to play her Mom.
Old 01-12-18, 12:55 PM

That was quick...I finished the show and with it being only the second episode I am already thinking uh oh, please show more crazy calls the first responders have to go out too and much less of the scenes like the young tortured sex crazy firefighter boinking Autumn Reeser. I watch a show called 9-1-1 because I expect to see more first responder at roller coaster disaster type scenes and much less of hot young buck schtups his therapist (which I groaned at because I saw that coming a few million light years away, she had to stand up to go console him why???).

I get that budget limitations tamp down how many accident/rescue type scenes they can squeeze in every show, but the show runners need to tighten up the interactions of the cast with each other. I will say this, so far I do like the replacement caregiver for Connie Britton's mom on the show.

This being a Ryan Murphy show, well I never really watched The Shield, walked away from Glee after maybe completely the second season, only watched the Witches Coven season of American Horror Story in its entirety...maybe I am not as big a fan of Ryan Murphy shows as I think I am and will end up giving up on this show if it piles up on my tivo. Almost forgot, Scream Queens was another short lived Ryan Murphy show I abandoned after less than 3 episodes (by the time I was 5-6 behind I just freed up valuable space on my tivo).
Old 01-12-18, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

I groaned at the sex scene... its like Ryan Murphy just can't do one episode without sex. Matter of fact, that scene completely turned me off to the show.

I rather enjoyed the scenarios adapted from real calls and I understand it needs character drama but even Game of Thrones stays of bedrooms/couches/dragon dens to tell compelling stories.
Old 01-16-18, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Renewed: http://tvline.com/2018/01/16/911-ren...ason-2-at-fox/
Old 01-16-18, 04:42 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

why wouldn't they position the ladder under the fat guy so if he fell he just fell a couple of feet onto the rig...
Old 01-16-18, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,130 Posts

Watched the 2 ep over the weekend and we loved this.
Old 01-16-18, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Wow, quick renewal, I guess the ratings were pretty good, I am enjoying this show with my wife...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.