Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Haunting of Hill House (Netflix) D: Flanagan, S: Gugino, Hutton, Thomas, Reaser

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Haunting of Hill House (Netflix) D: Flanagan, S: Gugino, Hutton, Thomas, Reaser

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-18, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Re: The Haunting of Hill House (Netflix) D: Flanagan, S: Gugino, Hutton, Thomas, Reas

Finished Episode 7 last night, and now I really can't wait to watch the last 3 episodes (this is a truly bingeworthy show). I have to say the kids are really good actors, as usually they can ruin a show like this, but they are all believable.
Old 10-22-18, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Re: The Haunting of Hill House (Netflix) D: Flanagan, S: Gugino, Hutton, Thomas, Reas

Ok, just finished it last night. While I did enjoy it, I wasn't really happy with the ending. It kind of reminded me of
Spoiler:
a survival horror video game, where depending on your actions you got the "good" ending, or the "bad" ending, and in this case we got the good ending. I would have prefered the bad ending.
Old 10-22-18, 12:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Binged this over the weekend. I liked it but the ending was a bit flat for me. I kind of felt like they could have cut a lot of the dysfunctional white people "This Is Us" style conflict and trimmed 2 episodes and been much more satisfying.
Old 10-23-18, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by BGPu
Binged this over the weekend. I liked it but the ending was a bit flat for me.
I loved the series as a whole, but I agree the final episode was a bit anti-climactic. It didn't go where I expected it to, which isn't a bad thing, but really episode ten didn't quite deliver on the build-up of the previous episodes.

I agree too that a lot of the "family drama" conversations felt bloated at times. I appreciated that the series worked to make the viewer feel invested in the characters, and the writers did a great job giving the members of the family distinct personalities, but a lot of the conversations could have been cut shorter without losing anything.

The creepiness factor for this show is amazing, especially once you realize there are hidden ghosts to find. I got full-body goosebumps more than once when I spotted a ghost hidden in the frame. And the show delivered some well-placed jump scares as well.

Acting was solid across the board, even from the kids, but with a few exceptions. I love Henry Thomas, but he's an awkward actor at times. And the guy who played the eldest son was a weak link. This was especially obvious in episode 6 with the long cuts -- he tended to get over-dramatic as the scenes went on.

One other complaint, and call me a prude if you want, but good grief, did this family rely on F-bombs waaaaaaay too often during their arguments. It really began to lose all meaning after awhile. There's gotta be a better way to say, "I'm being dead serious here!" than dropping F-bombs every other sentence. There's a great drinking game to be had here.

Bottom line: great show with flaws. Part of me wants there to be a second season, but part of me wants them to leave well enough alone. I wouldn't mind seeing the same director and cast coming together for a completely different storyline (a-la "American Horror Story").
Old 10-24-18, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Fingers crossed season 2 focuses on her character:

Old 10-24-18, 12:04 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

that's a very pretty girl.
Old 10-24-18, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by BGPu
I liked it but the ending was a bit flat for me. I kind of felt like they could have cut a lot of the dysfunctional white people "This Is Us" style conflict and trimmed 2 episodes and been much more satisfying.
Yeah I loved 80% of it but the annoying family dynamic (gots to be dysfunction that we beat to death) and the final 10 minutes were unsatisfying. The ending really bugged me because they had a perfect ending there.
Spoiler:
Father sacrifices his life to save the children but it was handled as an almost afterthought in a really sloppy manner then we get the obligatory happy endings coda that was a tonal depature and just didn't feel right.
Old 10-24-18, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Really good recap of the ending:

https://www.esquire.com/entertainmen...ing-explained/

I think most fans will be disappointed with the ending at first (or atleast feel it was anti-climatic), simply because this felt like a movie and you kind of expect that big budget ending.

I choose to focus on the internal story of the characters and think the overriding theme of the show was about all of us and how we deal with love, loss, friendship, pain throughout our lives (through fear). Each of the 5 siblings dealt with those things through the ghosts, or refusing to acknowledge those ghosts.

Some of us put up walls to people we know like Theo. Some of can't handle the daily grind and give into our demons like Luke. Some of us can't let go of the past like Nell. Some of us are hypocritical and judgemental like Shirley. Some of us think we know better then everyone like Steve.

Yes the show was about a haunted house, and it had alot of great scares, but to me it was about a family and how they all dealt with the loss of a parent. That is why the ending will come off as anti-climatic to most people because it really wasn't about the scares or the ghosts, it was really about each one of us (in a metaphorical sense).

I could be totally wrong, but that's how I saw the 10 episodes and thought it was a fantastic show!

Last edited by coli; 10-24-18 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-25-18, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
Really good recap of the ending:

https://www.esquire.com/entertainmen...ing-explained/

I think most fans will be disappointed with the ending at first (or atleast feel it was anti-climatic), simply because this felt like a movie and you kind of expect that big budget ending.

I choose to focus on the internal story of the characters and think the overriding theme of the show was about all of us and how we deal with love, loss, friendship, pain throughout our lives (through fear). Each of the 5 siblings dealt with those things through the ghosts, or refusing to acknowledge those ghosts.

Some of us put up walls to people we know like Theo. Some of can't handle the daily grind and give into our demons like Luke. Some of us can't let go of the past like Nell. Some of us are hypocritical and judgemental like Shirley. Some of us think we know better then everyone like Steve.

Yes the show was about a haunted house, and it had alot of great scares, but to me it was about a family and how they all dealt with the loss of a parent. That is why the ending will come off as anti-climatic to most people because it really wasn't about the scares or the ghosts, it was really about each one of us (in a metaphorical sense).

I could be totally wrong, but that's how I saw the 10 episodes and thought it was a fantastic show!
Yeah this is how I felt. The show was about the family. It wouldn’t have been the same show without the family drama.
Old 10-25-18, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
season, but part of me wants them to leave well enough alone. I wouldn't mind seeing the same director and cast coming together for a completely different storyline (a-la "American Horror Story").
This is what will happen. Flanagan has said that even if Netflix renews the show, the Crain story is over.
Old 10-25-18, 09:21 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I really enjoyed the show and thought it had the perfect ending. I agree, this was solely about the family with the horror element thrown in. It went a few times into This Is Us melodrama, but I really enjoyed seeing these actors together. They really worked for me. But I hope they leave this as one and done.

Last edited by E Unit; 10-25-18 at 07:52 PM.
Old 10-25-18, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This show has really stuck with me in the several days since I finished watching it. I'll likely revisit it again in the future and will probably get the eventual blu-ray. Even my wife, who absolutely despises horror movies/shows, was fully invested in this (albeit while sometimes "watching" with her hands over her eyes). Flanagan knows how to do horror, but he also knows that the best approach to horror is to give the audience characters that they care about. I'm on board for whatever he does next.
Old 10-25-18, 12:41 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed this, but I felt like the jump scares grew to be rather tedious -- must've been 5-6 per episode. I guess that's what makes a modern day horror show, though.
Old 10-25-18, 12:52 PM
Banned by request

Really? I thought there were hardly any, but that one at the end of the episode where the sisters were driving was pretty crazy. The rest were rather tame, if any.
Old 10-25-18, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by funkyryno
I thoroughly enjoyed this, but I felt like the jump scares grew to be rather tedious -- must've been 5-6 per episode. I guess that's what makes a modern day horror show, though.
Originally Posted by E Unit
Really? I thought there were hardly any, but that one at the end of the episode where the sisters were driving was pretty crazy. The rest were rather tame, if any.
I thought the show relied very, very little on jump scares. Maybe 1-2 per episode, tops. And the ones they did use, like the one in the car mentioned above, were very effective. And none of them were fake-outs like cats or someone suddenly putting their hand on someone's shoulder before starting a conversation.

And I'll also say that this show proved that placing imagery in the background is more much effective at adding tension/creepiness than throwing in a jump scare any day. One scene in particular...

Spoiler:
...when the family is having a conversation at the funeral home, and your eyes are focused on characters at the front of the room, only to realize that the ghost of Nell is among them in the background, was effectively chilling. She was there the entire scene, and yet I didn't notice her until several seconds in. So well done.
Old 10-25-18, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
I thought the show relied very, very little on jump scares. Maybe 1-2 per episode, tops. And the ones they did use, like the one in the car mentioned above, were very effective. And none of them were fake-outs like cats or someone suddenly putting their hand on someone's shoulder before starting a conversation.

And I'll also say that this show proved that placing imagery in the background is more much effective at adding tension/creepiness than throwing in a jump scare any day. One scene in particular...

Spoiler:
...when the family is having a conversation at the funeral home, and your eyes are focused on characters at the front of the room, only to realize that the ghost of Nell is among them in the background, was effectively chilling. She was there the entire scene, and yet I didn't notice her until several seconds in. So well done.
Spoiler:
are you forgetting the scene with the kittens and hornets nest/mask?
that said the show got me good with jump scares a handful of times not to mention getting chills more than once.
Old 10-25-18, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by pelenor
Scared me as well! My biggest gripe was afterwards, neither of them really mentioned it!
I giggled a few seconds after it happened, imagining a family so messed up that something like that would be a routine occurrence.

Then again, I'm the guy who usually says something like "how's this guy gonna explain all this to his boss? Like 'sorry I've been gone for a week, boss, but my daughter was transported to a different dimension and I had to get her back!' Or to the cops? 'Look, the house collapsed on itself into spacetime'" at the end of horror movies.
Old 10-25-18, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jpcamb
Spoiler:
are you forgetting the scene with the kittens and hornets nest/mask?
that said the show got me good with jump scares a handful of times not to mention getting chills more than once.
No. Those weren't fake-outs. Those were genuinely things to be frightened of. I was referencing the cliche of using harmless things -- like a cat running out of a closet or someone putting their hand on a friend's shoulder -- to elicit an unwarranted scare.
Old 10-26-18, 11:55 AM

OK. I guess I was overestimating the number of jump scares. According to this site, which actually tracks jump scares in movies, there are 26 in the series:

https://wheresthejump.com/jump-scare...ouse-season-1/
Old 10-26-18, 01:07 PM
Banned by request

Yeah, I caught some of those, but the ones in bold in that link are the only ones I really got a jolt out of.
Old 10-30-18, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Finished it last night. Thought it was ok overall. I did think the sound was amazing.
Old 10-31-18, 05:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watched the first episode. It was alright, quite long with nothing really going on but I liked the last minutes of it, they left interesting cliff hanger. I am going to continue further.
Old 10-31-18, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So finished re-watching the series with my kids - 13- and 15 and they both loved it. I will say the final episode was much more satisfying the second time around and I enjoyed it a lot more than the first time through.
Old 10-31-18, 02:45 PM

Did you catch more of the hidden ghosts on the second viewing?
Old 10-31-18, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by funkyryno
Did you catch more of the hidden ghosts on the second viewing?
definitely a lot more but I'm sure I still missed a lot. This show begs for the old VH1 "pop up video treatment"

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.