Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Haunting of Hill House (Netflix) D: Flanagan, S: Gugino, Hutton, Thomas, Reaser

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Haunting of Hill House (Netflix) D: Flanagan, S: Gugino, Hutton, Thomas, Reaser

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-18, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
Re: The Haunting of Hill House (Netflix) D: Flanagan, S: Gugino, Hutton, Thomas, Reas

We binged this last weekend. Very polished production with good writing and acting.

And jpcamb is on to something, Carla Gugino was fine as duckbutter (which floats much like a witch, gravy, or very small rocks).
Old 10-18-18, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Re: The Haunting of Hill House (Netflix) D: Flanagan, S: Gugino, Hutton, Thomas, Reas

Trying to get into this but the acting keeps pulling me out of it. Haven't found it scary at all yet either.
Old 10-18-18, 10:33 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

I'm 4 episodes in and enjoying it overall. I don't have time at the moment to continue but I really want to see what happens in Episode 5 based on where Episode 4 leaves off. I think the acting has been great. I really like that Flanagan is reusing actors from across his films. Kate Siegel is definitely a standout. Too bad she doesn't get cast in more things outside of things directed by her husband.
Old 10-18-18, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 392 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I'm 4 episodes in and enjoying it overall. I don't have time at the moment to continue but I really want to see what happens in Episode 5 based on where Episode 4 leaves off. I think the acting has been great. I really like that Flanagan is reusing actors from across his films. Kate Siegel is definitely a standout. Too bad she doesn't get cast in more things outside of things directed by her husband.
I think my favorite episode so far (just finished 9 last night) was the very end of episode 5. Watch and enjoy, kind of masterful.... this show has done an amazing job of telegraphing things somewhat, stringing you along for a little bit too long and paying off nicely nonetheless.

My favorite show of the year so far including BCS.
Old 10-19-18, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Really enjoyed this from beginning to end.

Mike Flanagan really puts out some quality content, and I love how he uses horror as just one element to the story, not the core backbone.

Unlike a lot of netflix series, this one didnt seem bloated. It could have maybe used one more, because it felt a tad rushed at the end to wrap all the threads.

Definitely my favorite watch this year.

I wasnt really scared at much in the series, however there was one moment in episode 8.

Spoiler:
Did anyone else almost shit a brick when the two sisters were arguing in the car and Nell's ghost comes out of nowhere and screams between them? Scared me to death, as I was totally not expecting it.
Old 10-19-18, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

For someone who was disappointed in Castle Rock, especially the lackluster ending; would you think this would be worth tuning in to?
Old 10-19-18, 10:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thematahara
I wasnt really scared at much in the series, however there was one moment in episode 8.

Spoiler:
Did anyone else almost shit a brick when the two sisters were arguing in the car and Nell's ghost comes out of nowhere and screams between them? Scared me to death, as I was totally not expecting it.
Scared me as well! My biggest gripe was afterwards, neither of them really mentioned it!
Old 10-19-18, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 392 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Koby
For someone who was disappointed in Castle Rock, especially the lackluster ending; would you think this would be worth tuning in to?
I watched the first three or so episodes of CR and even as a huge SK fan I sort of lost interest.

This show is the best nine episodes of a new series in a long time. The final episode seemed to be from somewhere else though. It didn't go off the rails per se but it was a little strange that the last episode was just kind of meh after being so amazing up until then.
Old 10-19-18, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

My wife and I are five episodes in. My wife hates being scared and is still enjoying this. It's so well done. The casting is on point, not only from an acting perspective, but because the seven actors cast (parents/children) physically look like a family. (The one outlier being Luke, who doesn't seem to share the others' coloring.)

I've jumped a few times, and been on the edge of my seat a few times as well:

Spoiler:
The tall man floating into Luke's room as he hid under the bed. Tense.

Really good so far. Hope the second half holds up.
Old 10-19-18, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
My wife and I are five episodes in. My wife hates being scared and is still enjoying this. It's so well done. The casting is on point, not only from an acting perspective, but because the seven actors cast (parents/children) physically look like a family. (The one outlier being Luke, who doesn't seem to share the others' coloring.)

I've jumped a few times, and been on the edge of my seat a few times as well:

Spoiler:
The tall man floating into Luke's room as he hid under the bed. Tense.

Really good so far. Hope the second half holds up.
That scene is great. Imagery like that is much more effective than typical jump scares.
Old 10-19-18, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

I thought episode 5 was amazing, but then came episode 6. That ... was brilliant.
If it keeps this up, it'll be my favorite show of 2018.
Old 10-19-18, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Three episodes in, this is a very good show so far.
Old 10-19-18, 07:10 PM

Nice nod having Russ Tamblyn on.
Old 10-19-18, 09:03 PM

Episode 6. Wow.
Old 10-19-18, 09:23 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

anyone know if optimum cable has a channel dedicated to Netflix (like it does Hulu)? i find it so convenient and would be a little easier to watch such good stuff...
Old 10-19-18, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

HoHH is what Castle Rock wished it could be. They’re not even in the same ballpark, imho.
Old 10-20-18, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dex14
Episode 6. Wow.
Incredible. And heartbreaking.

Speaking of episode six, did anyone else notice...
Spoiler:
one of the statues in the hallway changes the direction it is facing between shots.

There's also an awesome shot of the family at the funeral home, and the ghost of Nell is standing among them. Not sure how many seconds passed before I noticed her. So subtle and creepy.
Old 10-20-18, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Loved the hidden ghosts they sprinkle throughout the series. I had to force myself to stop searching for them and pay more attention once I knew they were there. Will be something cool to do on a re-watch down the road.

https://screenrant.com/haunting-hill...ts-background/
Old 10-20-18, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
Incredible. And heartbreaking.

Speaking of episode six, did anyone else notice...
Spoiler:
one of the statues in the hallway changes the direction it is facing between shots.
Yes. I mentioned it in a Facebook group while they were talking about the hidden ghosts.
Old 10-20-18, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

4 episodes in and loving this show! Trying to avoid the comments here in case they're spoilers, as I hope to give my full thoughts on the Season after I finish the 10 episodes.
Old 10-20-18, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

Does it pick up at all? I'm 3 episodes in, and while I like it, it's a bit slow for me. Are these people ever going to go back to the damn house or what??
Old 10-20-18, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by joeblow69
Does it pick up at all? I'm 3 episodes in, and while I like it, it's a bit slow for me. Are these people ever going to go back to the damn house or what??
It's a bit of a slow burn, but stick with it. It's worth it. And the horrors aren't confined to the house alone.
Old 10-20-18, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

This is not a spoiler, but I saw an interview with the creator of the show. He said the first 5 episodes set everything up and episode 6 is where it all starts to come together.

I'm only 4 episodes through and his statement makes sense, as it looks like each child is getting their own episode, so we really see how their life has been affected by whatever the hell what went on in this haunted house.

I believe the creator of the show is married to Theodora in real life?
Old 10-20-18, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by coli

I believe the creator of the show is married to Theodora in real life?
Yup.
Old 10-21-18, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

I don’t recommend you read the spoiler below, but I’ll put it there if you MUST know:
Spoiler:
They return to the house in the final episode.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.