Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Haunting of Hill House (Netflix) D: Flanagan, S: Gugino, Hutton, Thomas, Reaser

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Haunting of Hill House (Netflix) D: Flanagan, S: Gugino, Hutton, Thomas, Reaser

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-18, 10:36 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/G9OzG53VwIk" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A modern reimagining of Shirley Jackson's iconic novel, The Haunting of Hill House explores a group of siblings who, as children, grew up in what would go on to become the most famous haunted house in the country. Now adults, and forced back together in the face of tragedy, the family must finally confront the ghosts of their past -- some of which still lurk in their minds while others may actually be stalking the shadows of Hill House. Created, directed and executive-produced by horror mastermind Mike Flanagan (Hush, Oculus, Gerald's Game), The Haunting of Hill House is a complex family drama wrapped in a chilling horror story. Trevor Macy serves as executive producer alongside Flanagan. Meredith Averill acts as co-showrunner and executive producer. Justin Falvey and Darryl Frank executive produce, as well.

The Haunting of Hill House cast includes Michiel Huisman (Game of Thrones), Carla Gugino (Political Animals), Timothy Hutton (American Crime), Elizabeth Reaser (Manhunt: Unabomber), Oliver Jackson-Cohen (Emerald City), Henry Thomas (Better Things), Kate Siegel (Hush), Victoria Pedretti, Lulu Wilson (Sharp Objects), McKenna Grace (Designated Survivor), Paxton Singleton, Violet McGraw and Julian Hilliard.
10 episodes drop on Friday, Oct. 12

Last edited by dex14; 09-19-18 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-19-18, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
Re: The Haunting of Hill House (Netflix) D: Flanagan, S: Gugino, Hutton, Thomas, Reas

Been looking forward to this when I first read about it.
Old 09-19-18, 11:32 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: The Haunting of Hill House (Netflix) D: Flanagan, S: Gugino, Hutton, Thomas, Reas

No Owen Wilson, no Sale!
Old 10-11-18, 10:23 PM

This drops tomorrow.
Old 10-12-18, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Flanagan? That dude's great at horror.
Old 10-12-18, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
No Owen Wilson, no Sale!
Honestly, the Liam Neeson, Catherine Zeta-Jones version is one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen in the theater. I hate it with a passion!

I’m keeping my excitement in check for this one. The story is interesting but that trailer really did nothing for me. I also didn’t realize it was a series until I checked IMDB.

The reason I checked IMDB? Cause I watched that entire trailer thinking this started Evangeline Lilly.
Old 10-12-18, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Honestly, the Liam Neeson, Catherine Zeta-Jones version is one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen in the theater. I hate it with a passion!
Hate it too. Horrible film. But it is Jan de Bont after all.
Old 10-12-18, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Watch the first episode and it's pretty creepy. Jump a couple times so far I'm liking it will watch more later tonight.
Old 10-12-18, 07:24 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Why is this not available yet?
Old 10-12-18, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Why is this not available yet?
I’m three episodes in.
Old 10-13-18, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Finished it this afternoon. I really liked it. It doesn't beat you over the head with silly jump scares. Acting was really good. I think in episode 6 or 7 there's a couple of really long single-shot sequences during a storm. They would make Scorsese proud.

Since it's not labeled as a limited series, I wonder how season 2 will go.
Old 10-13-18, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I’m liking it.

Anyone else bothered by Netflix’s high frame rate looking video? I turn off active tracking on my TV to get rid of that look for other shows. But all of these Netflix shows have it. I’m not a fan. Or not willing to accept it over a traditional cinematic look.
Old 10-14-18, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Just finished. I thought this was absolutely fantastic.
Old 10-14-18, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,020 Likes on 630 Posts

I will be checking this out, though may save it for closer to Halloween. I like the cast.
Old 10-14-18, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm not a horror fan, but for some reason this caught my eye when it popped up on Netflix this weekend. I watched the first episode and was utterly riveted for 60 minutes, as I think they did a good job of setting up each sibling while still keeping interesting as to what happened at that house when they were kids that F'd them all up.
Old 10-15-18, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

about 5 episodes in and loving it. Kind of a big cast between the then and know scenes.

My one question is Carla Guglioni a witch or something? She looks absolutely incredible. possibly better than she did a year or so ago in Gerralds Game... just does not age...
Old 10-15-18, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

This was brilliant. I couldn't stop watching and didn't want it to end. This absolutely destroys The Conjuring movies and I actually like those. Everyone that's a horror fan should watch this.
Old 10-15-18, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Is it really that good? The trailer that runs (when you select it) on Netflix makes it look like a snooze.
Old 10-15-18, 05:51 PM

Mike Flanagan is one of the most consistent directors working in horror today, IMO.
Old 10-15-18, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

It really is that good. This will be in my top 3 for 2018 for sure.
Old 10-16-18, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

I had mixed feelings on the ending, but otherwise loved the hell out of this. Can’t put my finger entirely on why, but the tone of it reminded me a lot of the old school adaptation of Salem’s Lot. It’s probably my favorite series Netflix has done.
Old 10-17-18, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Just finished the first episode. Good stuff and will keep with it.

That said, I finished the book yesterday and so far "A modern reimagining of Shirley Jackson's iconic novel" pretty much means "ditching everything but the title, the house, and some character names." I don't expect completely faithful adaptations every time and I respect when directors/writers have their own visions, but stuff like this is a pet peeve of mine. Surely a high profile Netflix show generates enough buzz without needing to glom onto the title of some existing IP. Just be your own thing! But maybe it'll draw more similarities with the text as it goes on. At least it has its own high level of quality and is not completely squandering good source material like World War Z and Under the Dome did.

BTW I rented the original Haunting last night and it was largely faithful to the book. Based on the reactions here and elsewhere, I think I'll skip the 1999 remake. Or at the very least not pay good money for it.
Old 10-17-18, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Does this follow the same overall story as the movie with Neeson? That one is a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine. I really liked the visuals.
Old 10-17-18, 10:00 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

I watched the first episode. A bit slow, but I'm hoping it picks up.
Old 10-17-18, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,835 Likes on 1,230 Posts

Originally Posted by DJLinus
Just finished the first episode. Good stuff and will keep with it.

That said, I finished the book yesterday and so far "A modern reimagining of Shirley Jackson's iconic novel" pretty much means "ditching everything but the title, the house, and some character names." I don't expect completely faithful adaptations every time and I respect when directors/writers have their own visions, but stuff like this is a pet peeve of mine. Surely a high profile Netflix show generates enough buzz without needing to glom onto the title of some existing IP. Just be your own thing! But maybe it'll draw more similarities with the text as it goes on. At least it has its own high level of quality and is not completely squandering good source material like World War Z and Under the Dome did.

BTW I rented the original Haunting last night and it was largely faithful to the book. Based on the reactions here and elsewhere, I think I'll skip the 1999 remake. Or at the very least not pay good money for it.
I'm with you. Sounds like they could have called this an Amityville Horror reboot, or Elf, for all the similarities it has to the source material.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.