Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Marvel Cinematic Universe shows on Disney+ Discussion Thread - news, rumors, etc.

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
Old 12-10-20, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dex14
Available now:
WandaVision
The Falcon and the Winter Soldier
Loki (Seasons 1, 2)
What If...? (Seasons 1, 2)
Hawkeye
Moon Knight
Ms. Marvel
I Am Groot (animated shorts)
She-Hulk: Attorney at Law
Werewolf by Night - Halloween Special
The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special
Secret Invasion
Echo
X-Men '97 (Season 1)

Upcoming:
Agatha All Along
Ironheart
Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man (animated series)
Daredevil: Born Again
Marvel Zombies (animated series)
Eyes of Wakanda (animated series)
Untitled Wakanda series
Wonder Man
Nova
Vision Quest
Print Wikipost

Marvel Cinematic Universe shows on Disney+ Discussion Thread - news, rumors, etc.

Old 06-07-23, 11:51 AM

Received 4,807 Likes on 3,253 Posts
Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe shows on Disney+ Discussion Thread - news, rumors, etc.

Old 07-14-23, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,897 Likes on 2,783 Posts
Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe shows on Disney+ Discussion Thread - news, rumors, etc.

I’m posting this here because I’m sure there are many here who haven’t watched or aren’t caught up with Secret Invasion.

Apparently way over budget and there were also 4 months of reshoots. I’m sure Covid protocol costs also played a part.
Old 07-14-23, 02:48 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 575 Likes on 499 Posts

https://www.ppi.co.jp/news_release/ppipr20230714/
Polygon Pictures to Produce Animation for Marvel Studiosí Upcoming Spider-Man: Freshman Year

Polygon Pictures (ďPPI,Ē President and CEO: Shuzo Shiota, Head Office: Tokyo, Japan) is proud to announce its involvement in Marvel Studiosí upcoming animated series, Spider-Man: Freshman Year.

Marvel-published Spider-Man comics are beloved around the world, and the story and characters have been adapted into numerous TV series and other media. In Japan, the 2021 live-action film Spider-Man: No Way Home was a smash hit, becoming the first Hollywood film to earn over 4 billion yen at the domestic box-office since the start of the COVID pandemic.

Animation for Spider-Man: Freshman Year will be produced by Japanese digital animation studio, Polygon Pictures. We hope you are looking forward to this return to the world of Spider-Man, utilizing the latest CG technology!
Old 07-14-23, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,948 Likes on 2,015 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Iím posting this here because Iím sure there are many here who havenít watched or arenít caught up with Secret Invasion.

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/s...ROaaX6I5S_8l2Q
$212M? That sure isn't showing up onscreen unless it's all going into Jackson and Cheadles' pockets.

Old 07-15-23, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Ms. Marvel will air on ABC On 2 consecutive Saturdays. Someone needs content. August 5th and 12th. 3 episodes each night.

Might also be a strategy to get more people aware of the character for The Marvels.
Old 07-15-23, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,396 Likes on 950 Posts

Seems dumb to air on a weekend in the summer. Save it for fall primetime. Could probably get fairly good ratings with there being no new TV.
Old 07-15-23, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 390 Likes on 297 Posts

Ms Marvel was great. The show was made with passion and I learned a lot of cultural stuff.

Compare that to Moon Knight, which completely failed at doing any of that.
Old 07-15-23, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,276 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
Ms Marvel was great. The show was made with passion and I learned a lot of cultural stuff.

Compare that to Moon Knight, which completely failed at doing any of that.

I thought both were terrible.

But definitely a good idea for them to show it on ABC. But why not one episode a week and try to hook some people and sell more ads? Possibly create a buzz?
The following users liked this post:
MLBFan24 (07-15-23)
Old 07-16-23, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts

If Iger does sell off ABC, he's going to lose this kind of synergy.
Old 07-19-23, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,165 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I thought both were terrible.

But definitely a good idea for them to show it on ABC. But why not one episode a week and try to hook some people and sell more ads? Possibly create a buzz?
Yeah this makes no sense to me, especially with the strike and them starved for content. It really does make me think they should just cut all the executives' pay because what they heck are they doing there?
Old 07-20-23, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Seems dumb to air on a weekend in the summer. Save it for fall primetime. Could probably get fairly good ratings with there being no new TV.
That's probably when they plan on running Andor.

Or more likely, Kenobi.
Old 07-20-23, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 585 Posts

I think the thing with Ms. Marvel are the different run times of each episode and having to either recut to allow commercials to fit or extend beyond the broadcast hour (3 episodes run 50+ minutes). They're probably able to play with a little more time when bundling 3 episodes together.
fujishig (07-20-23)
Old 09-01-23, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Lots of delays due to the writers and actors strikes

Old 11-28-23, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Behind the scenes of Agatha Darkness Diaries. Coming next Fall

Old 11-28-23, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They would probably be wise to scrap Ironheart and Wonder Man.

I don't think Riri made much of impact in Wakanada Forever and I don't know if anyone ever gave a shit about Wonder Man in the comics. (I have often thought that the only reason WomanMan exists is because DC failed to trademark the Wonder Man variant of Wonder Woman.
Old 11-28-23, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

I don't think Riri made much of impact in Wakanada Forever and I don't know if anyone ever gave a shit about Wonder Man in the comics. (I have often thought that the only reason WomanMan exists is because DC failed to trademark the Wonder Man variant of Wonder Woman.
The rumor has always been that Stan Lee agreed to kill Wonder Man off since DC was upset, but years later when DC introduced Power Girl he resurrected him.

But I always liked Wonder Man in the comics, particularly the generic red jacket/glasses look and then the Jeff Johnson drawn series. Whether they could translate that into a successful tv show, particularly since it seemed people didn't like She Hulk, is another thing entirely.
Old 11-28-23, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,475 Likes on 1,670 Posts

I always liked Wonder Man as well, likewise his red jacket/dark glasses look. I think the fact that the character is also a famous actor could make an interesting story for a TV series, so if they go forward with that series (I hope) I'm definitely on board. I remember reading a Marvel comic when I was a kid (I think it was an Avengers annual, and there was a chart that ranked the strongest Marvel superheroes. Hulk was of course number one, and if I recall, Wonder Man was in the top five, he's a really powerful character.

Old 11-28-23, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Found the charts (not sure if it's still canon, this was the 1980s) Wonder Man is in the top echelon, the "Super Heavyweights".

Spiderbite (11-28-23)
Old 11-28-23, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Wonder Man is already in production. They already shot a few episodes pre-strike. They resume filming soon. It's not MCU though. It's under "Marvel Spotlight"

https://deadline.com/2023/11/marvel-...ts-1235612901/
Old 11-28-23, 04:41 PM

Received 4,807 Likes on 3,253 Posts

And Ironheart is already filmed.
Old 11-28-23, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's weird that have all of these series in active filming or in the can, but they don't have any kind of release dates.

Wonder if they're concerned that they're just making a bunch of Moon Knights.
Old 11-28-23, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cultshock
Found the charts (not sure if it's still canon, this was the 1980s) Wonder Man is in the top echelon, the "Super Heavyweights".

I'm always amused by those old Marvel "group shots" that either don't have any X-Men in them, or just one or two. Here, it's Wolverine and Colossus, but I suppose Beast would count, but by that time, he was more associated with the Avengers than the X-Men.

...and just for fun...

Hulk
Thor
Hercules
WonderMan
Iron Man
The Thing
Namor
Doc Samson
Sasquatch
Vision
Thundra
Black Bolt
Valkyrie
She-Hulk
Luke Cage
Goliath
Silve Surfer
Colossus
Ghost Rider
Spiderman
Tigra
Nighthawk
Werewolf by Night
Sider Woman
Beast
??? - Drawing a blank here. "Jesus" from Ghost Rider?
Captain Britain
Falcon
Ka-Zar
Iron Fist
Black Panter
Captain America
Moon Knight
Daredevil
??? - Familiar, but drawing a blank
Wolverine
Hawkeye
Spiderbite (11-28-23)
Old 11-28-23, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Heh, those are the same two that I can't identify either. The second one looks familiar, but dammit, I forget his name.

Yeah, you'd think there would be more X-Men shown, at that point (1981) they were getting pretty popular. They even had a cameo appearance in the annual (which I bought new off the newsstand) that was promoted on the cover, so they were definitely becoming a thing by that point.

And only 75 cents for a 48 page annual, those were the days! I always couldn't wait for summer for two things, no school and buying all the comic book annuals, those were a big deal back then.

Last edited by cultshock; 11-28-23 at 07:54 PM.
Spiderbite (11-28-23)
Old 11-29-23, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm always amused by those old Marvel "group shots" that either don't have any X-Men in them, or just one or two. Here, it's Wolverine and Colossus, but I suppose Beast would count, but by that time, he was more associated with the Avengers than the X-Men.
That was always an odd list for me. Iron Man knocked out the Hulk once but seems too high, as does Wonder Man. Swap one of them out for Namor. Captain America seems way too low but maybe this was during a period when he didn't have the Super Soldier Serum or something. Ehh, it's just comics.

The Jesus guy is Wundarr the Aquarian - he was a Man-Thing character and then appeared in Marvel Two-In-One, especially during the Project Pegasus storyline.

The guy behind Wolverine is The Shroud - he was in Super-Villain Team-Up and Spider-Woman and then made an odd appearance here and there.
Spiderbite (11-29-23)
Old 11-29-23, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

These blasts from the past always have the random "who is that" because they're pushing a particular character at the time. I still remember that Marvel jigsaw puzzle that prominently featured the Sons of the Tiger and Glorian.

As for X-men, that seems like decent representation as far as strength goes. Colossus, Beast and to a lesser extent Wolverine are the only ones with above average strength (since Thunderbird wasn't around all that long). As a side note, do you have this issue? It has the first appearance of Rogue (who is obviously not in the X-men yet and hasn't taken Carol's powers hence her not being included as well)

Oh yeah, almost forgot to say:
NERDS!
Spiderbite (11-29-23)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.