Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Marvel Cinematic Universe shows on Disney+ Discussion Thread - news, rumors, etc.

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
Old 12-10-20, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dex14
Available now:
WandaVision
The Falcon and the Winter Soldier
Loki (Seasons 1, 2)
What If...? (Seasons 1, 2)
Hawkeye
Moon Knight
Ms. Marvel
I Am Groot (animated shorts)
She-Hulk: Attorney at Law
Werewolf by Night - Halloween Special
The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special
Secret Invasion
Echo

Upcoming:
Ironheart
Agatha: Darkhold Diaries
Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man (animated series)
Daredevil: Born Again
Marvel Zombies (animated series)
X-Men '97 (animated series)
Eyes of Wakanda (animated series)
Untitled Wakanda series
Wonder Man
Nova
Vision Quest
Print Wikipost

Marvel Cinematic Universe shows on Disney+ Discussion Thread - news, rumors, etc.

Old 02-16-23, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,616 Likes on 2,595 Posts
Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe shows on Disney+ Discussion Thread - news, rumors, etc.

I'm not really surprised. Disney + has been bleeding money and I think Iger needs to slow down the spending, especially in marketing. They probably need to focus on other properties that can help them raise more cash.
Old 02-16-23, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,143 Likes on 4,179 Posts
Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe shows on Disney+ Discussion Thread - news, rumors, etc.

And spending a little more time and money on effects work doesn't sound like a bad idea either.
Old 02-16-23, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk God

I wonder if this impacts the releases of Agatha, Daredevil, Ironheart and Echo. Are they going to stagger those going into 2025?

The only confirmed 2023 releases I believe are Secret Invasion and Loki season 2. I think What if? Season 2 is suppose to come out in 2023 as well.
Old 02-16-23, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts

As long as it flows with the current Marvel phases, I don't mind the change. There's a lot of things to watch outside of the D+ shows so it will give me time to catch up.
The following users liked this post:
story (02-16-23)
Old 02-16-23, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,873 Posts

A lot of the Disney+ Marvel (and Star Wars, for that matter) series we have seen so far seem marginal and poorly developed. It just seems like they're trying to churn out as much content as they can with little thought about whether there actually needs to be a Nova and Ironheart series, or if the stories they're attempting to tell in The Book of Boba Fett and Kenobi are any good.
Old 02-17-23, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

I'm fine with this, too. Was really feeling overloaded with Marvel content
Old 02-17-23, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk God

I saw someone mention that probably another issue with the quality is that Feige has been hiring a lot of under-qualified writers and producers to work on all these series.

Feige likes to hire unknown talent for some reason and I noticed that a lot of the showrunners for these shows are 1st time head writers and showrunners. I guess the creative talent pool is just being exhausted. All the experienced talent are already on higher profile shows. Sure a few of them have been good, but there have been some misses,
Old 02-17-23, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I saw someone mention that probably another issue with the quality is that Feige has been hiring a lot of under-qualified writers and producers to work on all these series.

Feige likes to hire unknown talent for some reason and I noticed that a lot of the showrunners for these shows are 1st time head writers and showrunners. I guess the creative talent pool is just being exhausted. All the experienced talent are already on higher profile shows. Sure a few of them have been good, but there have been some misses,
That is definitely true but the MCU has become underwhelming overall. I think they miscalculated their hold on fans. They wanted to diversify their content but that comes at the cost of losing a portion of fans. Disney is sort of screwed here and maybe a reset is a good idea. But the question is what do they put on Disney+? The content is underwhelming at this point and I can't see people staying subscribed if they're only getting a handful of shows and movies.
Old 02-17-23, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
I'm fine with this, too. Was really feeling overloaded with Marvel content
Not picking on you personally, but this sort of comment always amuses me. TV shows used to have 25-30 full hour episodes a season. Wandavision, Loki, Falcon & Winter Solider, Hawkeye, Moon Knight, Ms Marvel, She Hulk combined have 48 episodes since early 2021, and many of those are half hours. It's less than the burden of following one regular show 20 years ago.
The following 2 users liked this post by dstrauss:
Deftones (02-17-23), whotony (02-17-23)
Old 02-17-23, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dstrauss
Not picking on you personally, but this sort of comment always amuses me. TV shows used to have 25-30 full hour episodes a season.
Yeah, and a lot of those episodes sucked, too. And back then it was, like, if you wanted to watch something on tv Thursday evening after dinner it was either Simon & Simon, The Fall Guy, or The Cosby Show. If The Fall Guy wasn't very good that night, you could click over and see what Simon & Simon were up to without missing a beat. In the era before streaming and DVRs (and tighter production budgets) it was a simpler time.

Wandavision, Loki, Falcon & Winter Solider, Hawkeye, Moon Knight, Ms Marvel, She Hulk combined have 48 episodes since early 2021, and many of those are half hours. It's less than the burden of following one regular show 20 years ago.
True, but having shorter seasons also makes a lot of these shows feel like two hour movies centered around b-list characters that have been stretched and decompressed into six-hour miniseries.

I think that the problem with these Disney+ series (and even the current state of the MCU theatrical side) is that they're saturating the market with a lot of substandard content.

Most of the Disney+ series are either putting b-list characters from the movies into the forefront, or introducing new b-list characters that don't seem to be connecting with the audience.

And even the movies have been all over the place...

Black Widow - Provides backstory to a character that died in a previous movie.

Shang-Chi - New characters that primarily exist to seal up a plot hole from a Phase II movie.

Eternals - Introduced a bunch of new characters and a complex cosmic mythology.

Spiderman No Way Home - Seems to have been well-received because of the inclusion of characters from the previous Spiderman franchises, but still has a bunch of confusing multiverse woo-woo and confusing reality-bending with the memory wipe.

Doctor Strange Multiverse of Madness - Even more confusing multiverse stuff.

Thor Love & Thunder - Tonally all over the place, and never quite seems to gel into a coherent film.

Black Panther Wakanda Forever - A sequel to a movie without its star, where they had to work around the absence of Chadwick Boseman.

Aside from introducing Namor and sort of setting up the Multiverse (which runs the danger of opening up a big can of worms) there's really not a lot of meat or direction in any of these movies.

To borrow a sports phrase, the team lost their big guns (Thanos, Iron Man, Captain America, Black Panther) and are currently in a rebuilding phase. Hopefully they'll get their together in a few years and make the playoffs.

I am very leery of the MCU introducing the concept of the Multiverse because in the comics its one of those things that just keeps growing and becoming more and more complex and confusing and off-putting. I mean, yeah it's kind of fun to bring in someone's kid from an alternate future, or have another world with the same characters but sort of different, but before long it just becomes completely overwhelming and makes the prime universe seem pointless. And the you have to start doing things like Crisis on Infinite Earths and Zero Hour to clean up the mess.

Goonies85 (02-17-23)
Old 02-17-23, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 594 Likes on 429 Posts

I havenít been confused by anything Iíve watched in the MCU/TV-verse.

We would watch new content every week and be happy about it if it was there.

Speakingnof new content I saw a new show popped up on D+ this week called Mila in the Multiverse.
I have no idea what it is but Iíll watch it to see and maybe Iíll be confused too.

Old 02-18-23, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by dstrauss
Not picking on you personally, but this sort of comment always amuses me. TV shows used to have 25-30 full hour episodes a season. Wandavision, Loki, Falcon & Winter Solider, Hawkeye, Moon Knight, Ms Marvel, She Hulk combined have 48 episodes since early 2021, and many of those are half hours. It's less than the burden of following one regular show 20 years ago.
True, but I never had to watch Lavern and Shirley, Blansky's Beauties, Out Of The Blue, Joanie Loves Chachi and Mork and Mindy to ensure I was caught up with the Happy Days cinematic universe whenever 3 films dropped in the same year.
Old 02-21-23, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,486 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
True, but I never had to watch Lavern and Shirley, Blansky's Beauties, Out Of The Blue, Joanie Loves Chachi and Mork and Mindy to ensure I was caught up with the Happy Days cinematic universe whenever 3 films dropped in the same year.
But you had to watch everything or else you'd be wondering what happened to Chuck Cunningham.
ViewAskewbian (02-22-23)
Old 02-22-23, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

I primarily subscribed to D+ just for the Marvel shows, so I haven't been overwhelmed with all of the releases. I agree that the quality has been kind of all over the place.
Old 02-24-23, 01:58 PM

Marvel's Rogers: The Musical is officially coming to Disneyland this summer

The spoof Broadway production teased in Hawkeye will soon become a reality, just like composers Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman wanted. Hopefully Marvel fans are ready for more superhero musical numbers, because what started as a brief joke on the Hawkeye TV series is now becoming a reality. Disney Parks announced on Thursday that Rogers: The Musical will actually be staged as a "short one-act musical" at Disney California Adventure later this year. The Disney Parks Twitter account released a short teaser video in which a woman dressed as Peggy Carter (though it doesn't appear to actually be Hayley Atwell) picks up a playbill for Rogers: The Musical and walks up to a marquee labeled "Coming Soon." The account promises that further details will be coming in the future.​​​​​​​
The first episode of Hawkeye found Clint Barton (Jeremy Renner) taking his family to see a Broadway homage to the Avengers and groaning at the inaccuracies. Rogers: The Musical was a creative way for the show about Marvel's most human superhero to demonstrate how normal people in the MCU make sense of their lives. And even in that short initial snippet, it sounded like a legitimate Broadway production ó probably because the music was composed by longtime Broadway veterans Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman. At the end of the six-episode Disney+ series, a post-credits scene unveiled a full version of the song. But Shaiman and Wittman told EW at the time that they were eager to write a full version of the musical. Now it looks like they've finally gotten their chance. "There are a million things that you could create in a Marvel musical, especially with Steve Rogers," Shaiman told EW in December 2021. "The fact that he exists in the '40s as well would allow us to write a whole lot of different genres, so the whole Marvel story would take place over decades. It would be a thrill to get to do that." The use of Peggy in the teaser video certainly makes it seem like the musical will lean into Steve's origins in the World War II era. Fans got a brief taste of what may be to come during a live staging of the number 'Save the City' from Rogers: The Musical performed at Marvel's D23 presentation last year.
Obi-Wanma (02-24-23)
Old 02-26-23, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Ha!
Old 03-01-23, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
I havenít been confused by anything Iíve watched in the MCU/TV-verse.

We would watch new content every week and be happy about it if it was there.

Speakingnof new content I saw a new show popped up on D+ this week called Mila in the Multiverse.
I have no idea what it is but Iíll watch it to see and maybe Iíll be confused too.

This has 0% to do with Marvel.
Old 03-01-23, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Correct.
I did try to watch it.
Old 03-27-23, 06:25 PM

Received 4,543 Likes on 3,082 Posts

Old 03-28-23, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's wild that there will be an eight month gap between Disney+ MCU series.

Figured they'd want to keep these coming out on a regular basis to keep subscriber numbers up.
Old 03-28-23, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
It's wild that there will be an eight month gap between Disney+ MCU series.

Figured they'd want to keep these coming out on a regular basis to keep subscriber numbers up.
They made a concerted effort to scale it back lately after Ms Marvel and Moon Knight disappointed.
Old 03-29-23, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

I liked Ms. Marvel, moreso on a rewatch with the kids. I also really liked the beginning to Moon Knight, but it really fizzled out for me in the middle. I need to give it another go to see if I like it more.
Old 04-02-23, 11:29 AM

Received 4,543 Likes on 3,082 Posts

Old 04-02-23, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Looks pretty good and it looks like it has a significant budget. I know it was filmed in Europe last year.
Old 04-02-23, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Was that SuperSkrull?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.