Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Romanoffs (Amazon) anthology series from Matthew Weiner -- premieres 10/12/18

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Romanoffs (Amazon) anthology series from Matthew Weiner -- premieres 10/12/18

Old 09-13-18, 10:56 AM

The highly anticipated original contemporary anthology series, The Romanoffs, is set to premiere on Amazon Prime Video Friday, October 12 with new episodes released weekly, on Fridays. This is the first anthology series for Amazon Prime Video that will roll out on a weekly basis. The Romanoffs will be available initially in the original version in over 200 countries and territories, with dubbed foreign language versions coming in early 2019. "The Romanoffs is an ambitious event series that will be the first-ever anthology released weekly on Prime Video," said Jennifer Salke, Head of Amazon Studios, "Filmed around the globe and featuring an incredible, star studded cast, each episode will be a surprise gift to the audience. We are grateful to Matthew Weiner for bringing this groundbreaking series to life for our Prime audience." The Romanoffs is created, written, directed and executive produced by nine-time Emmy award winner Matthew Weiner (Mad Men), featuring eight separate stories about people who believe themselves to be descendants of the Russian royal family. Set in seven countries around the globe, The Romanoffs was shot on location in three continents collaborating with local productions and creative talent across Europe, the Americas, and the Far East. Each story takes place in a new location with a new cast. The first episode, "The Violet Hour' stars Marthe Keller, Aaron Eckhart, Ines Melab and Louise Bourgoin and the second story, "The Royal We," starring Corey Stoll, Kerry Bishe, Janet Montgomery and Noah Wyle.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Aaron Eckhart
· Amanda Peet
· Andrew Rannells
· Christina Hendricks
· Corey Stoll
· Diane Lane
· Hera Hilmar as Ondine
· Isabelle Huppert
· J.J. Field
· Jack Huston
· Janet Montgomery
· John Slattery
· Marthe Keller
· Mike Doyle
· Paul Reiser

CREW INFORMATION:
· Matthew Weiner as CRTR/EP/DIR
The first two episodes premiere on 10/12, and then the following six will premiere on a weekly basis.
Old 09-13-18, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Romanoffs (Amazon) anthology series from Matthew Weiner -- premieres 10/12/18

From the creator Mad Men, good cast and a bunch of different stories... I'll give it a shot.
Old 09-13-18, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Romanoffs (Amazon) anthology series from Matthew Weiner -- premieres 10/12/18

The once a week thing sort of kills it for me. Why go back to an old way of releasing the show when ratings don't matter? I'll give the first 2 a try but maybe wait until they rest all come out before watching.
Old 09-13-18, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
The once a week thing sort of kills it for me. Why go back to an old way of releasing the show when ratings don't matter? I'll give the first 2 a try but maybe wait until they rest all come out before watching.
Binge releases are great for popular shows or something that inevitably "opens strong" but for shows that may not have immediate mainstream appeal it becomes very difficult to build an audience when everything is released all at once -- conversation peaks and ends within days, and building an audience becomes more difficult. So for more "prestige" style programming, it may actually be beneficial to do it weekly which is what Amazon is toying with.
Old 09-13-18, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Binge releases are great for popular shows or something that inevitably "opens strong" but for shows that may not have immediate mainstream appeal it becomes very difficult to build an audience when everything is released all at once -- conversation peaks and ends within days, and building an audience becomes more difficult. So for more "prestige" style programming, it may actually be beneficial to do it weekly which is what Amazon is toying with.
The Handmaid's Tale effect.
Old 09-13-18, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm a big fan of Mad Man and liked Weiner's work on that show. Cast seems good, but the subject matter doesn't scream must watch for me. Plus, I'm so behind on streaming shows, so not sure when I'll have time to get to this (if I do)
Old 09-13-18, 09:21 PM

I kinda wish they made a show about the actual Romanoff family and and their life instead of a possible descendants thing
Old 09-15-18, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As an insanely huge Mad Men fan, I will have to be checking this out. Glad to see that he's included a few of the same cast members (Slattery, Hendricks, Ferguson).
Old 10-03-18, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow, reviews for this are coming in and they’re BRUTAL

‘The Romanoffs’ Review: Matthew Weiner’s Amazon Show Is Shallow, Self-Indulgent, and Far Removed From ‘Mad Men’

‘The Romanoffs’ Review: Matthew Weiner’s Amazon Anthology Makes a Case for the Bolsheviks
Old 10-03-18, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Reviews are pretty mixed so far, but most seem to be a bit disappointed that it isn't better considering the production values.
Old 10-03-18, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Bummer
Old 10-03-18, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Even noted Mad Men aficionado Alan Sepinwall is disappointed :

‘The Romanoffs’ Review: A Royally Complicated Return
In his much-anticipated (and somewhat fraught) TV comeback, ‘Mad Men’ creator Matthew Weiner achieves moments of brilliance amid unchecked sprawl

I think letting Weiner make these episodes 90 minutes each sounds like a huge mistake.
Old 10-03-18, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So since during/after Mad Men, Weiner's done a movie that's at 7% on RT and this new series which doesn't seem to be impressing anyone.

Maybe Mad Men was just a fluke.
Old 10-11-18, 11:24 PM

First two episodes are up tomorrow.
Old 10-20-18, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Anyone here watch this yet?
I wanna watch this, but the 90 minute run time for each episode is a big hurdle; for that block of time, I'd rather watch a movie. Wish they were 45-minute episodes instead.
Old 10-20-18, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've watched the first two episodes and really enjoyed both of them. I'm favoring the 2nd one a bit only due to the great ending. Really looking forward to watching episode #3 tonight.