Veronica Mars (Hulu) — Season 4 Thread — premieres 7/19/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Veronica Mars (Hulu) — Season 4 Thread — premieres 7/19/19

Old 07-21-19, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts
Re: Veronica Mars (Hulu) — Season 4 Thread — premieres 7/19/19

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
It was a really good season. The first episode wasn't that great, but the rest of the season was pretty much what I expected... As for the ending...

Spoiler:
I don't think Logan is dead. I think we will see him again. His mysterious job, the fact that we never actually see him get into the car, the fact that he never knew when he would be called back into duty, etc. I think he's on some government mission. Cheesy and cliche, but I'm okay with that. They set this up for a return if they decide to bring him back.

Spoiler:
I think it was him. There must have been body parts everywhere from the explosion. Kind of silly that he (or someone helping him) would put a dead body in the car to blow up. He got the alert to move the car. The timing is too coincidental. Plus Veronica figured out the Pizza guy's limerick at the same time
Old 07-22-19, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

It was ok. I'm glad it exists. The story was a little far-fetched and had, imho, two jump the shark moments in the finale. I liked that it didn't overstay its welcome and didn't force characters into the narrative that didn't belong. I do wish there was more Wallace and Weevil though. The thing that was really off-putting for me was actually Veronica herself. The character seems like she never grew up. Her quirky, sarcastic attitude was entertaining when she was a teenager but now it's just somewhat off-putting.
Old 07-22-19, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by starseed1981
It was ok. I'm glad it exists. The story was a little far-fetched and had, imho, two jump the shark moments in the finale. I liked that it didn't overstay its welcome and didn't force characters into the narrative that didn't belong. I do wish there was more Wallace and Weevil though. The thing that was really off-putting for me was actually Veronica herself. The character seems like she never grew up. Her quirky, sarcastic attitude was entertaining when she was a teenager but now it's just somewhat off-putting.
And they really rode the "cussing"/"cuss" thing until the wheels fell off. "Cuss you!"

Old 07-24-19, 10:02 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Finished this up.

Really glad to have it back and I'm sure it will be back again.

But wow, does Rob Thomas sure have some balls on him... I can imagine a lot of the
Spoiler:
LoVe fans being super pissed.

I was happy to see some of the plot from the books be incorporated in. If you're looking for more on the drama between Weevil and V, you should read the last book.
Old 07-24-19, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm only two episodes in. Maybe I've forgotten things, but why is Logan poor? I get that military guys don't make a lot, but what happened to his family fortune?
Old 07-24-19, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
I'm only two episodes in. Maybe I've forgotten things, but why is Logan poor? I get that military guys don't make a lot, but what happened to his family fortune?
I wondered that as well. Maybe he rejected it when he joined the Navy?
Old 07-24-19, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Any word yet on ratings? I keep looking online and can't find anything. I hope it has enough viewers to bring it back.
Old 07-24-19, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Any word yet on ratings? I keep looking online and can't find anything. I hope it has enough viewers to bring it back.
Hulu doesn't release ratings.
Old 07-29-19, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
This was a short plot point in (I think) season 3, but his inheritance was going a lot faster than expected. He thought the handler was skimming, and that led to him finding out about a half brother her never knew of. I think they even mentioned that at the rate it was going it wouldn’t make it through 4 years of college at Hearst. So that money is surely long gone by this point.
Old 07-29-19, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Did Hulu buy the rights to the entire Veronica Mars series? I noticed that the thumbnail my Apple TV is showing for Veronica Mars, which clicks through to Season 1, says "A Hulu Original".
Old 07-29-19, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by randian
Did Hulu buy the rights to the entire Veronica Mars series? I noticed that the thumbnail my Apple TV is showing for Veronica Mars, which clicks through to Season 1, says "A Hulu Original".
They bought the streaming rights. There's a little logo in the bottom that says Hulu Original in the original seasons. Season 4 does say Hulu Original before the credits.
Old 07-29-19, 07:24 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

This was an excellent reboot, are we going to see Veronica on the road now? Would love to see 8 eps seasons for the next 5 summers!
Old 07-29-19, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
This was an excellent reboot, are we going to see Veronica on the road now? Would love to see 8 eps seasons for the next 5 summers!
That seems to be the direction Thomas is headed. He has said he wants to do an Agatha Christie “murder in a manor house" type of season.

If it does come back, I don't know if they'll do it every year, though I'm sure Season 5 will come out not too long after. What he wants (and why he did what he did with the finale) was to put the show in a position to be able to just come back whenever they wanted for years and years. Like Luther or Prime Suspect, etc.
Old 07-29-19, 07:43 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
That seems to be the direction Thomas is headed. He has said he wants to do an Agatha Christie “murder in a manor house" type of season.

If it does come back, I don't know if they'll do it every year, though I'm sure Season 5 will come out not too long after. What he wants (and why he did what he did with the finale) was to put the show in a position to be able to just come back whenever they wanted for years and years. Like Luther or Prime Suspect, etc.
I'm down for that, let's go!
Old 08-02-19, 02:35 AM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Just finished this up. I’m amazed Rob Thomas had the balls to kill that character off.
As for the season as a whole, like someone else said it did start off slow. In fact, I stalled out originally 4 episodes in, and had to rewatch them, but the second half of the season was much better. I just rewatched seasons 1-3 and the movie in preparation for this, and several characters felt off in those early episodes, but from my pov that course-corrected as the season went on.
The bomb plot itself didn’t do as much for me. The season-long mysteries in the first 2 seasons were much better. This bomb plot though about had the complexity of one of the side cases from earlier seasons, but stretched out with too many needless characters like the murder club. The Mexican characters and the Senator plot felt extraneous.
Eh, I don’t know. I guess I’d give it a grade of C. The nostalgia factor was huge, but it felt like some of that nostalgia was purposefully trampled down.
And what’s up with the rape and sexual assault always in the background? It’s been a fairly significant plot point in all 4 seasons now.
Old 08-21-19, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I just finished it yesterday and I really enjoyed the season. It was nice to have Veronica and the crew back even if the mystery itself wasn't as gripping as the previous seasons.

Spoiler:
I was shocked that they pulled that ending out. Full on hand covering my mouth, expecting her to wake up from a dream, shocked. Veronica and Logan deserved a happy ending and I felt bad that they didn't get one. The whole thing was very well done.

I do like the idea of a reboot with Veronica away from Neptune running her own private investigator business. You can have Keith off in the distance while introducing a whole new cast of characters. Run a season every few years knowing that you really only need one recurring actor.

And while the mystery didn't nail it this season, I did think they did a good job with bringing it all together. I like that they fit the story in with today's true crime obsessed society.

Old 09-01-19, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 801 Likes on 591 Posts

I just finished it tonight and I loved it. I may be a bit biased, but I think it was the best thing I've seen in quite sometime. I will admit I got really busy and took a break for a few weeks around episode 4 or 5, but I was completely into it. The ending was a bit controversial. I agree that Rob Thomas has massive, massive cojones to do that. I originally though that
Spoiler:
Keith was going to die, but I'm so glad he didn't since he's one of my favorite parts of the show. I'm also glad that he didn't have dementia either. That storyline was my least favorite of the season.
I hope they can make these semi-regularly now that The Good Place is ending and Kristen is working less. I'm going to go back to my rewatch of season 1.
Old 10-17-19, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts

I couldn't get to this until last month. Of course by then, I had seen a ton of headline articles on the internet so I pretty much knew either Keith or Logan were going to die b/c they were the only other two characters that are remotely important. Just finished tonight (one episode a week!), and I'm glad it wasn't Keith. Enjoyed the show mainly because I still like the Mars characters. I agree totally with Thomas that there just wasn't anything you could do with Logan that wouldn't have felt forced. It was forced this year.
Old 10-18-19, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That ending was a franchise killer.
Old 10-18-19, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

*shrug* I thought the ending was fine
Old 10-18-19, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyM
That ending was a franchise killer.
I'd say it's quite the opposite of a franchise killer. Now they're able to focus only on Veronica. There are no lingering threads around her. It opens up so much more for the character to be able to do.
Old 10-19-19, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts

I finally got around to watching it this week. Since I've never been a fan of Logan, I'm good with the ending though I think fridging him probably wasn't the best solution.
Old 10-22-19, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I ordered the Blu-ray of this season and I was looking at the reviews on Amazon and they're pretty vicious.
Amazon Amazon
I really enjoyed this season and I'm hoping they continue to make more.
Old 10-22-19, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lwhy?
I ordered the Blu-ray of this season and I was looking at the reviews on Amazon and they're pretty vicious. https://www.amazon.com/Veronica-Mars...1755931&sr=8-2 I really enjoyed this season and I'm hoping they continue to make more.
Wow, what a bunch of assholes. What were they expecting? Other than the first episode which got off to a rocky start, the rest off the season sure felt like vintage "Veronica Mars" to me. Just older. TV critics certainly loved this season. So, has Hulu renewed the series or not!? It's been three months since it premiered.

Old 10-22-19, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Wow, what a bunch of assholes. What were they expecting? Other than the first episode which got off to a rocky start, the rest off the season sure felt like vintage "Veronica Mars" to me. Just older. TV critics certainly loved this season. So, has Hulu renewed the series or not!? It's been three months since it premiered.
No word yet on the show being renewed. Rob Thomas said there have been some preliminary talks between him and Hulu about a new season: https://tvline.com/2019/07/23/veroni...-renewed-hulu/

My Blu-ray order at Amazon has been backordered. It's now expected to ship in 1 to 2 months. I preordered it too. I guess the demand was greater than the supply....

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.