Reload this Page >

Better Call Saul (S4E01) -- Season Premiere -- "Smoke" -- 8/6/18

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Better Call Saul (S4E01) -- Season Premiere -- "Smoke" -- 8/6/18

Old 08-07-18, 07:17 AM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S4E01) -- Season Premiere -- "Smoke" -- 8/6/18

Originally Posted by bluetoast
He was responsible. Jimmy was the one who got the insurance rates raised. He was probably glad that he could shift the blame.
More like the news that he was responsible caused some kind of mental "snap" and now he'll be more like the character in BB.
Old 08-07-18, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

We’ll see. People were also saying he may have been pumped to have been the catalyst, which would be more messed up.
Old 08-07-18, 07:48 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Decent opener that covered what was to be expected with Chuck, but yeah not a lot of meat.

Loved Mike's contribution to the b-day card signing: "Reach for the stars"
Old 08-07-18, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

We’ll see. People were also saying he may have been pumped to have been the catalyst, which would be more messed up.
Or perhaps he was just happy that Howard felt responsible and took pleasure in his misery.
Old 08-07-18, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

I love the show, but they really need to pick up the pace on this thing. That opening scene in the ER did not have to take 10 minutes to play out.
Old 08-07-18, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
I love the show, but they really need to pick up the pace on this thing. That opening scene in the ER did not have to take 10 minutes to play out.
A lot of the stuff on this show (and in BB) were dragged out - like, they did not need to have that dad putting the chain on the bike for his son. I get why they do that, as it builds the characters/situations or whatever (I don't think it does), but all it does is drag out a show that needs to get to the point in it's limited time.

And why the fuck is Nacho hanging out on that bridge to dump the pills? He shouldn't be that stupid. Just maintain your routine, and dump the pills in the toilet when you get home. Sheesh.
Old 08-07-18, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A lot of the shots in this show and BB love to show off. Like, who gives a shit about the fisheye view of skateboards in Walt’s abandoned pool?

However, I was glad to see the modern day stuff, and it’s still frustrating, in a sort of good way, to get these glimpses. Hope they actually know what the fuck they’re doing and it pays off well, though I probably shouldn’t be worried.
Old 08-07-18, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
And why the fuck is Nacho hanging out on that bridge to dump the pills? He shouldn't be that stupid. Just maintain your routine, and dump the pills in the toilet when you get home. Sheesh.
Ha, I came here to make that very point. In the real world, the bridge would be dark and you probably couldn't tell what he was doing, but in Hollywoodland he's in this perfectly lit spot publicly throwing drugs away so that anybody in a one-two block radius could see. I get that you're not supposed to overthink things but that was a pretty big misfire plot-wise.

Also, I'm never been a hitman or anything, but since the taxi driver in the opening obviously knows who Saul really is, why would you tip him off that he knows with a fucking ALBUQUERQUE sign in your cab?
Old 08-07-18, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Plus he overhand chucks the fucking bottle. Like at least discretely dump that out like the pills, and don’t act like you’re throwing something from Left Field to Home Plate.
Old 08-07-18, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by sydonesia
Also, I'm never been a hitman or anything, but since the taxi driver in the opening obviously knows who Saul really is, why would you tip him off that he knows with a fucking ALBUQUERQUE sign in your cab?
I really doubt the cab driver has any connection to Saul. Probably just a weirdo cab driver that coincidentally has the Albuquerque sign in his cab. It's just there to show Saul's constant paranoia.
Old 08-07-18, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Very low key premiere.

Agree that the present day hospital scene dragged, but I get why Jimmy/Saul was nervous.

And I don’t think we really needed to hear Howard read Chuck’s complete bio to Jimmy on the phone. That scene was a little long winded.

Not really much else that stood out for me. Mike’s exploits in the factory was amusing.
Old 08-07-18, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah I’m wondering, was there any real reason for Mike to do the inspection? Unless he thought he should be doing something out of respect for the paycheck.

Or, I guess getting intel on the company was a reason too.
Old 08-07-18, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts

Yeah I’m wondering, was there any real reason for Mike to do the inspection? Unless he thought he should be doing something out of respect for the paycheck.

Or, I guess getting intel on the company was a reason too.
I think a little of both. He's not the kind of guy that can sit around. So he basically did the job he's getting paid not to do and got to check out part of the company to boot.
Old 08-07-18, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Notes:

1. Mike's "security job" and breaking into the building .... Axel Foley move straight outta Beverly Hills Cop, which Jonathon Banks also starred in.

2. The Taxicab driver is character actor, Don Harvey, who has not been credited with a character name, yet. The connection we are probably supposed to get is that he recognizes Saul from his commercial. That is why they moved from this scene to Mike watching the same team on TV. Also, I am not sure but others have pointed at that it is a possibility that Jimmy goofs and asks to go to a mall in ABQ by accident, not the mall in Omaha. I have to watch it again and listen.

3. Jimmy knows he is to blame for the insurance problem. What we saw happen at the end of the episode was the full blown transformation from Jimmy to Saul, the guy that does for himself and shuts everyone else down/out. Given the look he got from Kim, and lack of sympathy for Howard, I have a feeling they are going to find out Jimmy was responsible for the rates increasing.

4. Kim gives Jimmy the bottle of booze he gave her in an earlier episode, which is the same brand used by Gus to kill the cartel during the events of BB.

5. Some on other boards have suggested that the boy on the bike with broken chain was Drew Sharpe. I'm not sure there is any evidence of that though. I have also read that the car that wouldn't start was the same one Jimmy had to give back when he left his job.
Old 08-07-18, 02:36 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
5. Some on other boards have suggested that the boy on the bike with broken chain was Drew Sharpe. I'm not sure there is any evidence of that though.
That thought did cross my mind.
Old 08-07-18, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts

4. Kim gives Jimmy the bottle of booze he gave her in an earlier episode, which is the same brand used by Gus to kill the cartel during the events of BB.
I noticed that as well.

I have also read that the car that wouldn't start was the same one Jimmy had to give back when he left his job.
I thought this as well and commented earlier in the thread. What made me think of it was when he put the coffee tumbler in the coffee cup holder - reminded me of Jimmy not fitting his tumbler in his new car.
Old 08-07-18, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
I really doubt the cab driver has any connection to Saul. Probably just a weirdo cab driver that coincidentally has the Albuquerque sign in his cab. It's just there to show Saul's constant paranoia.
Yeah, I'm not sure we're supposed to read much into the cab driver other than Gene's unease and paranoia. He reacted similarly to seeing the cop at the hospital and the receptionist who was having difficulty entering his information into the computer.

Also, who is Saul actually hiding from? I think it's mostly the police and feds. Everyone in his criminal network (Gus, Mike, the Nazis, the Cartel, Walter) is dead.

At worst, Huell, Kuby, and Francesa could have flipped on him.
Old 08-07-18, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

5. Some on other boards have suggested that the boy on the bike with broken chain was Drew Sharpe. I'm not sure there is any evidence of that though. I have also read that the car that wouldn't start was the same one Jimmy had to give back when he left his job.
Originally Posted by dex14
That thought did cross my mind.
Did we get a last name for his father? Don't know if we saw the badge clse enough to read.
Old 08-07-18, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I really need to take the time to get back to this show. My DVR messed up on me during season three and I missed a bunch and never caught myself back up. I think I’m going to start over from the beginning again.
Old 08-07-18, 03:49 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Did we get a last name for his father? Don't know if we saw the badge clse enough to read.
It said B. Hedberg
Old 08-07-18, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah, I'm not sure we're supposed to read much into the cab driver other than Gene's unease and paranoia. He reacted similarly to seeing the cop at the hospital and the receptionist who was having difficulty entering his information into the computer.

Also, who is Saul actually hiding from? I think it's mostly the police and feds. Everyone in his criminal network (Gus, Mike, the Nazis, the Cartel, Walter) is dead.

At worst, Huell, Kuby, and Francesa could have flipped on him.
It's never been 100% stated they were looking for him but he is certainly avoiding the police in all of the 'Gene' scenes. He went into "exile" asap when Walt became a known felon. Jesse's confession was pretty much axed with Gomez and Hank being killed, and Skyler couldn't say anything without implicating herself. For all we know, though doubtful, he may not even know Walt is dead.
Old 08-07-18, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jesse’s confession was in possession of Uncle Jack. It’s possibly still at the compound, unless they destroyed it after viewing.
Old 08-07-18, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jesse’s confession was in possession of Uncle Jack. It’s possibly still at the compound, unless they destroyed it after viewing.
Your right. In all that time, I doubt he kept something that implicated him in the prison murders. If the cops did find it, Jesse would be screwed as well.
Old 08-07-18, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
I love the pace, it always a certain depth and realism to the show.
Old 08-07-18, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you've ever been to an ER, you're lucky to get out on ten hours, let alone minutes.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.