Time Bandits TV series coming to Apple TV+ - EP: Waititi

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 07-27-18, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,912 Likes on 2,792 Posts

https://deadline.com/2018/07/time-ba...rc-1202435077/

EXCLUSIVE: In its latest series play, Apple is closing a deal for the rights to turn the beloved Terry Gilliam-directed fantasy film Time Bandits into a TV series. I’m told the series will be developed as a co-production between Anonymous Content, Paramount Television and Media Rights Capital. Gilliam will be a non-writing executive producer alongside Anonymous Content and MRC.

Released in 1980, Time Bandits is a dark, irreverent adventure about imagination, bravery, and the nature of our dreams. It follows the time-traveling adventures of an 11-year-old history buff named Kevin who, one night, stumbles on six dwarfs who emerge from his closet. They are former workers of the Supreme Being who have stolen a map that charters all the holes in the space-time fabric, using it to hop from one historical era to the next in order to steal riches. Throughout the movie, they meet various historical and fictional characters, including Napoleon Bonaparte and Robin Hood, while the Supreme Being simultaneously tries to catch up to them and retrieve the map.

The film was made by Handmade Films, the film shingle that former Beatles guitarist George Harrison hatched with Denis O’Brien that began with Life of Brian, the comedy made by Gilliam and his Monty Python cohorts. While the company generated films like Mona Lisa and Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, mounting debt that was guaranteed by the former Beatle led Harrison to exclaim My Sweet Lord, and he ended up suing O’Brien after the company dissolved. But Time Bandits, a quirky cult favorite, might never have gotten made without Handmade, so a TV series is a fitting nod to a bold little company’s legacy.
Old 07-27-18, 01:56 PM
Banned

Received 377 Likes on 296 Posts
re: Time Bandits TV series coming to Apple TV+ - EP: Waititi

Sweet. One of my favorite movies as a kid- probably the first VHS tape I ever bought.

So Apple is going to have their own "Netflix" type service?
Old 07-27-18, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Eric F
Sweet. One of my favorite movies as a kid- probably the first VHS tape I ever bought.

So Apple is going to have their own "Netflix" type service?
Apparently. They have Amazing Stories and several shows greenlit to come out next year and many in development.

No specific details about it yet.
Old 07-27-18, 07:22 PM
Banned

Received 377 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Apparently. They have Amazing Stories and several shows greenlit to come out next year and many in development.

No specific details about it yet.
Another streaming service? Geez.
Old 07-27-18, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Soon people will be paying as much for streaming services as they were the cable they ran away from. AT least they will get to choose which services they want.
Old 07-28-18, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 352 Likes on 266 Posts

OK, Time Bandits is at least a contender for my all-time favorite movie (it's always hard to answer that question when people ask it, but that's the answer I give most of the time) so I'll buy an Apple TV unit if I need one to see this- but it better not suck! (And I'll still cancel the subscription if they butt into the content like Netflix does now.)

A sequel to Time Bandits was written a while ago but never got off the ground. Doing it wrong would have ruined it, but I always wanted to see what happened to Kevin after the first movie ended.
Old 03-11-19, 12:56 PM

Received 4,815 Likes on 3,260 Posts

Taika Waititi is developing an adaptation of Terry Gilliam’s 1981 film, “Time Bandits” for Apple as a TV series, an individual with knowledge of production told TheWrap.

Waititi will co-write and direct the pilot for the potential series, which is being co-produced by Anonymous Content, Paramount Television and Media Rights Capital. He also will serve as executive producer alongside Gilliam and producer Dan Halsted.

“Time Bandits” follows the time-traveling adventures of an 11-year-old history buff named Kevin who, one night, stumbles on six dwarfs who emerge from his closet. They are former workers of the Supreme Being who have stolen a map that charts all the holes in the space-time fabric, using it to hop from one historical era to the next in order to steal riches. Throughout the movie, they meet various historical and fictional characters, including Napoleon Bonaparte and Robin Hood, while the Supreme Being simultaneously tries to catch up to them and retrieve the map.

Gilliam directed the 1981 film, which also starred a couple of his “Monty Python” members John Cleese and Michael Palin. The rest of the cast included Sean Connery, Shelley Duvall, Ralph Richardson, Katherine Helmond, Ian Holm, Peter Vaughn and David Warner.

Waititi, known for his films “Thor: Ragnarok” and “What We Do in the Shadows,” is also directing an episode for Disney+’s upcoming “Star Wars” TV series, “The Mandalorian.” He is also an executive producer on FX’s TV adaptation of “What We Do in the Shadows.” His next film, “Jojo Rabbit,” will hit theaters this fall.
https://www.thewrap.com/members/2019...ies-for-apple/
Old 03-11-19, 03:27 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 684 Likes on 459 Posts

Time Bandits is one of my favorite films. I’d be all in for a fresh take on it.
Old 03-11-19, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
OK, Time Bandits is at least a contender for my all-time favorite movie (it's always hard to answer that question when people ask it, but that's the answer I give most of the time) so I'll buy an Apple TV unit if I need one to see this- but it better not suck! (And I'll still cancel the subscription if they butt into the content like Netflix does now.)
If you have a new enough Samsung TV, you can use that. The app will be included with this year's models and will be available for last year's models via a firmware update.
Old 03-13-19, 12:15 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Couldn’t be worse than the tv version of 12 Monkeys. Or could it?
Old 03-13-19, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 204 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Couldn’t be worse than the tv version of 12 Monkeys. Or could it?
To each his own, but I (and apparently most people who rate TV on the internet) believe 12 Monkeys is a very good series. I can only hope this will be as good.
Old 03-14-19, 03:08 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

It was nothing like the movie. I got tired of it really fast.
Old 03-14-19, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 204 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
It was nothing like the movie. I got tired of it really fast.
Yeah it’s nothing like the movie. (Which I love.) Viewed in a vacuum, it’s one SyFy’s best shows.
Old 09-28-22, 01:46 PM

Received 4,815 Likes on 3,260 Posts

Lisa Kudrow has a bunch of new friends!

The Emmy winner has signed on to star in Time Bandits, the forthcoming Apple TV+ comedy from Taika Waititi (What We Do in the Shadows, Reservation Dogs, Our Flag Means Death).

A reimagining of Terry Gilliam’s 1981 cult fantasy film, the TV adaptation  is described as a “comedic journey through time and space with a ragtag group of thieves and their newest recruit: an eleven-year-old history nerd” (played by relative newcomer Kal-El Tuck).

The cast also includes Charlyne Yi (House) as Judy, Tadhg Murphy (Vikings) as Alto, Roger Jean Nsengiyumva (Armchair Detectives) as Widgit, Rune Temte (Fortitude) as Bittelig, Kiera Thompson (The Salisbury Poisonings) as Saffron and Rachel House (Stateless) as Fianna.

Waititi will direct the first two episodes and serve as an EP alongside Jemaine Clement, Iain Morris, and Garrett Basch. Waititi is also a co-writer.

In addition to Friends, Kudrow’s TV credits include The Comeback, Web Therapy, Grace and Frankie and Space Force.

The inaugural 10-episode season is slated to debut in 2023.
https://tvline.com/2022/09/28/lisa-k...taika-waititi/
Old 09-28-22, 05:35 PM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,015 Likes on 849 Posts
Re: Time Bandits TV series coming to Apple TV+ - EP: Waititi

The idea of this seems good. I love the players, but Gilliam’s take was just so unique and visually spectacular for its time. Not sure it holds up today as I haven’t revisited in quite awhile.
Old 09-28-22, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 484 Likes on 329 Posts

OK, but wait, so the group of time-traveling thieves is not going to be little people?

And also, I guess there's no possibility of a David Warner cameo now, which sucks.
Old 09-29-22, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,324 Likes on 965 Posts

Is there going to be a Pansy character? Lisa Kudrow could be a decent replacement for Shelley Duvall.
Old 10-22-22, 10:55 PM

What kind of parents would name their kid Kal-El (Superman's real name, before he was called Clark Kent or Superman)?

Just praying they don't ruin this, Time Bandits is my favorite movie of all time. I know they'll have to have a new cast but hope they can do it right.
Old 10-22-22, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,694 Likes on 4,568 Posts

What kind of parents would name their kid Kal-El (Superman's real name, before he was called Clark Kent or Superman)?
This kind :

The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (10-24-22)
Old 05-21-24, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Premieres July 24th. 10 episodes

Today, Apple TV+ announced the premiere date for the all-new comedic adventure series, “Time Bandits,” the first-ever television adaptation of the beloved cult classic movie, to launch globally on Wednesday, July 24. Created for television by Jemaine Clement (“Flight of the Conchords”), Iain Morris (“The Inbetweeners”) and Taika Waititi (“Our Flag Means Death”), and produced for Apple TV+ by Paramount Television Studios, Anonymous Content’s AC Studios and MRC, “Time Bandits” is an unpredictable journey through time and space with a ragtag group of thieves and their newest recruit: an 11-year-old history buff named Kevin. Together, they set out on a thrilling quest to save the boy’s parents — and the world.

Guided by Lisa Kudrow, the eccentric crew of bandits embark on epic adventures while evil forces threaten their conquests and life as they know it. As the group transports through time and space, the gang stumbles upon fascinating worlds of the distant past while seeking out treasure, depending on Kevin to shed light on each situation. The Time Bandits witness the creation of Stonehenge, see the Trojan Horse in action, escape dinosaurs in the prehistoric ages, wreak havoc during medieval times, experience the ice age, ancient civilizations, the Harlem Renaissance, and much more along the way.

Old 05-21-24, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,398 Likes on 950 Posts

I gotta applaud Apple for leaning heavily into SciFi stuff.
ntnon (05-23-24)
Old 05-22-24, 09:43 PM

They better not mess it up! This is my favorite movie of all time.
ntnon (05-23-24)
Old 05-27-24, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 334 Likes on 238 Posts

They better not mess it up! This is my favorite movie of all time.
it’s Apple.

Their track record in general to me is not good at all so I would give this zero expectations.

plus look at the “team”.
Old 05-27-24, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Where all the LP at?
I hope they don't screw this up. One of my guilty pleasures and honestly it's a fun movie that IMO has aged well enough that you don't cringe at it being dated.
Old 05-28-24, 03:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Impossible to beat the original, but not a bad idea compared to a lot of other things.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.