Reload this Page >

Frasier (Paramount+) - revival series - premieres 10/12/23

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Frasier (Paramount+) - revival series - premieres 10/12/23

Old 10-16-23, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 134 Posts
Re: Frasier (Paramount+) - revival series - premieres 10/12/23

Caught up with the first two eps yesterday. Liked the pilot more than the second ep. I liked Eve the most out of the new characters. The others just seem like pale comparisons of characters in the Frasier universe (Alan=Niles etc.). The second ep just seemed like a rehash of Martin/Frasier's issues from season 1 and the conflict they had. It just seemed like a rehashed ep I'd seen done better before. Oh, I didn't find it BELIEVABLE at all that Frasier had forgotten/didn't know that the Red Sox were Boston's MLB. They should have just redid that entire part of the plot.

Oh, I did like the references to Martin in the first ep.
Old 10-16-23, 06:44 PM
Premium Member

Received 739 Likes on 486 Posts

I watched eps 1 and 2 last night. I thought they were decent enough. I'll be keeping up with it for a while.
Old 10-16-23, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 708 Likes on 436 Posts

Watched the first episode. So. Fucking. Bad. I mean, god-awful. Closer to watching an episode of Wings than Frasier.

This was every bad 90s sitcom trope mixed with ever bad 10s sitcom trope, guest starring Kelsey Grammer in his signature role.

Absolutely dreadful. I wasn't the biggest fan of the original show, but I certainly liked it well enough. This reboot is an anal holocaust.

Old 10-16-23, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Some of us like Wings🥺.

😆
Old 10-16-23, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,868 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Wings was good for what it was, but it wasn't anywhere in the same league as things like Cheers or Frasier. Even if they were in the same universe.
Old 10-16-23, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 708 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by Nesbit
Some of us like Wings🥺.

The following 2 users liked this post by Hokeyboy:
Nesbit (10-16-23), Vipper II (10-18-23)
Old 10-16-23, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

In this house we stan for Lowell
Old 10-16-23, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 896 Likes on 629 Posts

I didn't mind Wings. It wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either. It had some really funny moments.
The following users liked this post:
Red Dog (10-17-23)
Old 10-17-23, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 294 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Watched the first episode. So. Fucking. Bad. I mean, god-awful. Closer to watching an episode of Wings than Frasier.

This was every bad 90s sitcom trope mixed with ever bad 10s sitcom trope, guest starring Kelsey Grammer in his signature role.

Absolutely dreadful. I wasn't the biggest fan of the original show, but I certainly liked it well enough. This reboot is an anal holocaust.
Just watched the first episode on CBS. Agree with all of this. Absolutely dreadful. I don't like a single character except Frasier. The nephew is the worst.
Hokeyboy (10-22-23)
Old 10-17-23, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Just watched the first episode on CBS. Agree with all of this. Absolutely dreadful. I don't like a single character except Frasier. The nephew is the worst.
That guy was super annoying. Another weakness is that there's no one for Frasier to bounce jokes off of. They aren't either in his league or it just seems like it's done before by better characters/actors/writing. As a big fan of the original show, this is a crappy watered down version. I'm watching only out of loyalty and waiting for Lilith to show up again. Where there is finally someone for him to spar with.
Old 10-17-23, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 622 Likes on 448 Posts

I wouldn’t mind having the nephew in the mix but why do the writers make him a total moron?

Example the dirt in the enclosed glass and well everthing he does and says.
Its lazy hacky writing.
Old 10-23-23, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Watched the third episode and there were some really dumb things.

Again, get rid of David or change his character dramatically. He's annoying and not funny at all. Hard to believe they thought he was a good idea.

I thought Frasier was too snobby for jeans, yet he's wearing jeans and sneakers.

Didn't know the actor who plays Frasiers old friend is only 62. I thought he was in his 70s. Yikes.
sleepyhead55 (10-26-23)
Old 10-24-23, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 168 Likes on 120 Posts

Thought the third episode was funnier than the first two - leaning into Frasierís pompous nature always works - but while Alan is good I agree David is just annoying. Supporting cast needs shoring up. Still, Iím not hating it.
Old 10-24-23, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 293 Likes on 243 Posts

The supposedly intelligent but extreme putz of a nephew is really taking me out of the moment on this show. I watched a fair handful of Frasier eps, and I do not seem to remember any family member of Frasiers who was that much of a putz.

I am still easing into the show and do not want to completely give up on it (I do like some of the supporting cast members, especially the ladies), but something has to change. It would not bother me at all if the writers just ret-conned the nephew to the point where he appears in a future episode and is smart, articulate, and even a bit of a ladies man (or whatever), and I would be okay with that. Instead of going wait, what...the nephew is a putz, not a ladies man, I would accept that the writers pivoted and changed his character for the better and continue to enjoy the show.
Old 10-26-23, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I watched the third episode. It just seems like a pale comparison to the original. The nephew is waaay too annoying and stupid to be on this show. The thing is that in the original is that even if the other characters weren't on his "level" on intelligence they brought other things. It just seems like there's no partner for him to spar with on this show. The son is not that interesting. And Alan is more of a sounding board or a watered down Niles, in those scene where Frasier sought advice during coffee at Cafe Nervousa.
Old 10-27-23, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 335 Likes on 251 Posts

I just noticed for the first time in Episode 4 that the bar they all go to is called "Mahoney's" - which is a nice nod to the late John.
Old 10-27-23, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 622 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I just noticed for the first time in Episode 4 that the bar they all go to is called "Mahoney's" - which is a nice nod to the late John.

Post 173 😁
Shannon Nutt (11-06-23)
Old 11-06-23, 11:24 AM

Received 2,063 Likes on 1,212 Posts

Earlier this year, I made my way through all of Cheers and recently I started making my way through all of Frasier. I'm part-way through season 6, and this morning Paramount+ only has clips and quizzes, but not the show. It said I could resume where I left off, then it sent me to a 404 page that this option didn't exist. It took me to the page and only seasons 9-11 were avaiable. Then the page reloaded itself and now it's only clips and quizzes. Meanwhile, the landing page still says "Watch Full Episodes in HD," but there's no way to do that now. What the heck?!

I was going to get to the new series pretty soon here, but I was hoping to go through the original soon, too.

Think it's a glitch or on purpose?

Last edited by story; 11-06-23 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-06-23, 06:26 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts

Loved the original, but donít think I can go beyond the first two episodes. Frasier himself is ok, but none of the other characters are interesting.
sleepyhead55 (11-07-23)
Old 11-06-23, 10:14 PM

Received 2,063 Likes on 1,212 Posts

Oh! It's BACK! My biggest problem of the day is resolved!

Well, no, I had some other tough stuff for the day. But at least this one got resolved!

Carry on, everyone, carry on!
Old 11-22-23, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,815 Likes on 2,736 Posts

This revival has gotten very mixed responses here. But, Grammer says he’s ready to do at least 100 more episodes

Old 12-08-23, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 168 Likes on 120 Posts

Well, the season is ended and I didn't hate it, although it was several steps beyond 'Frasier' at its best. But I kind of looked forward to it, in the end, as 23 minutes or so of time isn't a huge commitment when too many series are bloated these days, and even at the worst of the material, I really enjoyed seeing Grammer step into this role again that he's played for close to 40 years (!). Frasier had changed since his Seattle days and while sometimes it seemed a little forced perhaps I generally liked an older, mature Frasier, and was really glad they actually showed his grappling with Martin's death instead of just having one very special episode and forgetting about it.

The good - Grammer makes the show worth watching. I felt like Cutmore-Scott grew into the Freddie role a fair bit through the 10 episodes, he was rather smarmy and unlikable at first and playing it far too dumb but I liked how they gradually showed how he hides his actual intelligence. Alan is quite an enjoyable foil to Frasier even if he's no Niles.

The rest of the new cast is pretty mediocre, though, even if they had their moments. Olivia and Eve are wasted (Eve's baby may just be the most invisible sitcom baby ever, and that takes doing) and David is actively annoying for the most part, like a character who stepped out of a Big Bang Theory cosplay convention. I loved seeing Lilith again and that was probably the best episode of the series for me (followed by the "blind date" one which was classic Frasier farce); but seeing Roz was a letdown, Gilpin barely had anything to do and her part could have been played by anyone. I don't really care about seeing the "Cheers" cast again - it's hard to believe he'd actually keep up with that lot after all these years - but David Hyde-Pierce is sorely missed, I think the telephone scene in the finale was the only time he was even actively referenced.

I imagine I'll be back for season 2 if it happens. It wasn't a life-crippling disappointment as some of the internet want it to be (reboots of 'Night Court,' 'Murphy Brown,' 'Will And Grace' etc have been far, far worse). It's good enough for me, though, even if it won't ever be in my top 10.
Old 12-08-23, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I finished the season as well. Basically watched it while surfing, etc.
The comedy felt a little forced and it's almost a retread of the original Frasier show - just replacing older characters with new characters.

It got better as the episodes progressed, but it's nothing great. Watched mostly for curiosity and nostalgia - although I never saw all the episodes of the original series.
Freddie was more likeable in the later episodes and overall I think he worked out well. David was annoying as hell, however I noticed the last few episodes most of the annoying characteristics were gone. He used to be stupid in a lot of ways and a social misfit - but they dropped his child-like stupidity and made him more sociable... but kept him a little quirky. I have to believe at some point they realized people the audience/studio/etc. hated him and made the change. All shows make these types of tweaks and it's VERY welcome here.

For some reason I forgot that Martin left behind a widow, even though I knew he got married again.
It occurred to me after a few episodes where I saw the actress who plays Olivia before. She was the crooked cop who was partners with Carl on Shameless.
And I agree that it's ridiculous how the baby is rarely around on this show. While it's dumb on many shows, it seems worse here because the other shows they seem to pass it off with the baby being with the grandparents, brothers/sisters/etc.... but here Eve seems to be on her own with little family contact.

It was nice to see Roz even if it was kinda short. It was obviously fan service, but she did have some purpose for the storyline I felt - giving Frasier better perspective as well as just cheering him up.

Still think it's dumb that Frasier totally ignores the Cheers gang. It's not realistic - but it's obvious why they do that. Again, I think they could've avoided it all by having him move to another city.
What I find really weird as how Frasier pretty much ignores David. He moved to Chicago when David was a baby and probably couldn't get to spend much time with him at all. Frasier meets up with him in Boston and it's all so ho-hum and he seems to barely interact with him throughout the season. I get that he's was annoying - but he's his nephew that he barely got to see.

I typed up a lot for someone who thought the show was meh/passable.
Old 12-13-23, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 335 Likes on 251 Posts

I'm in the minority who liked most of Season 1 quite a bit. I just like how they set up scenarios just to tell a silly joke: Like in the final episode where Frasier gets 22 Christmas trees delivered to his apartment and the florist is lost inside all of them, so he proclaims "I can't see the florist through the trees." Completely "dumb" but also set up so well by the writers. They do stuff like that ALL the time on this show, and I enjoy that.
Old 02-22-24, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,815 Likes on 2,736 Posts

Renewed