DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Buffy reboot in development (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/644683-buffy-reboot-development.html)

dex14 07-20-18 07:20 PM

Buffy reboot in development

Buffy Summers is heading back to Sunnydale… but she might look a little different than you remember.

A reboot of Buffy the Vampire Slayer is in development, with a black actress eyed to play the title role, our sister site Deadline is reporting. Original creator Joss Whedon is on board as an executive producer, with Monica Owusu-Breen (Midnight, Texas) serving as writer and showrunner of the reboot. (Owusu-Breen previously wrote for ABC’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., where Whedon is an EP as well.) The reboot doesn’t have a network home yet, but it’s said to be “contemporary, building on the mythology of the original.”

The original Buffy, starring Sarah Michelle Gellar as the titular slayer, debuted in 1997 on The WB and ran for seven seasons, jumping to UPN for its final two seasons. It’s since become a cultural touchstone and cult favorite among TV fans.

If it makes it to air, the new-look Buffy would be just the latest WB series to return to TV: Charmed and Roswell are both being resurrected by The CW next season.
https://tvline.com/2018/07/20/buffy-...s-joss-whedon/

OldBoy 07-20-18 07:45 PM

Re: Buffy reboot in development

oh for god sakes.

hdtv00 07-20-18 07:51 PM

Sigh...

Breakfast with Girls 07-20-18 07:51 PM

I'd happily watch this if they present it as a continuation of the show (same universe, different slayer) rather than a remake. Hand wave away the implications of the series finale. I just don't understand rebooting the entire thing.

dex14 07-20-18 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls (Post 13375891)
I'd happily watch this if they present it as a continuation of the show (same universe, different slayer) rather than a remake. Hand wave away the implications of the series finale. I just don't understand rebooting the entire thing.

Agreed.

stvn1974 07-20-18 08:10 PM

Read that Whedon is exec producing the show so I am now kind of intrigued.

joe_b 07-20-18 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls (Post 13375891)

Yeah, setting it in the original universe with a new slayer is the only way I'll be interested. I was just thinking about how overdue this series was for a revival. Just call it "Slayers" or "Chosen" and preserve the continuity to leave the door open for appearances by the original cast. It would be very easy to draw in a new audience without alienating the old fans.

Hell, they could still have Boreanaz and Marsters pop up. Just explain their aging by stating the Powers That Be voided the papers Angel signed in the finale. Both he and Spike could have been living as mortals for the past fifteen years after fulfilling the Shanshu Prophecy together. Of course, I'm probably disregarding anything that happened in those comic book follow-up "seasons" that Whedon authorized. Never bothered reading those.

stvn1974 07-20-18 08:34 PM

If this does have to happen I am glad Joss is having Buffy be black just to piss off the loonies. I do hope that is a complete reboot and not a continuation as the series is perfect in my mind. The ending of Angel was a good way for the universe to go out. And although I don't read the comics it would suck for those who do if they discard all of it.

Josh-da-man 07-21-18 02:42 AM

I think that any Buffy reboot needs to do a lot to justify its existence; more than just doing a race swap.

If I were doing it, I'd drop the humor and make it straight up, hard-R horror. Think the Battlestar Galactica original/remake.

Original Desmond 07-21-18 04:39 AM

Yeah no need for a reboot but a sequel series

Mostly new characters but cameos from originals

and black actress lol wtf

lisadoris 07-21-18 05:09 AM

A sequel makes way more sense than a reboot given what happened in the finale. I'm all for a Slayer of color that stays alive more than three episodes.

Josh-da-man 07-21-18 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by lisadoris (Post 13376099)
A sequel makes way more sense than a reboot given what happened in the finale. I'm all for a Slayer of color that stays alive more than three episodes.

I think Rona and Chao both made it out of the Hellmouth in the finale.

stingermck 07-21-18 08:40 AM

Can't say I want to see a reboot. I'd rather see a continuation of the world already established with one of the potential slayers created at the end.

I'm so emotionally attached to the original and angel. Gonna be a hard sell for me.

Kdogg 07-21-18 09:33 AM

I can’t see Whedon being big on a reboot but could see him do a continuation. It would be easy enough to have a child named Buffy in honor of the original becoming a slayer. I would be out if they do a reset though.

Timber 07-21-18 09:37 AM

Call is Jossie the Vampire Slayer and I'm in. I don't need a reboot but a continuation would work for me.

majorjoe23 07-21-18 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Timber (Post 13376156)
Call is Jossie the Vampire Slayer and I'm in. I don't need a reboot but a continuation would work for me.

I don’t know if I’d buy the show’s 54-year-old creator as a slayer.

zeebre12 07-21-18 02:08 PM

Where could we see this airing? Netflix, The CW?

PhantomStranger 07-21-18 04:13 PM

Rumors have it that Marsters will be in this reboot, if not as Spike than someone else.

stingermck 07-21-18 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 13376380)
Rumors have it that Marsters will be in this reboot, if not as Spike than someone else.

That was just be insanity if he's not Spike. Seriously there are so many Spike fans, that would sink this.

DJariya 07-21-18 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by zeebre12 (Post 13376299)
Where could we see this airing? Netflix, The CW?

It's in development meaning it hasn't been pitched to or sold to any network yet. So it's fair game at this point.

Original Desmond 07-22-18 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 13376380)

Let's face it, unlike Boreano, Marsters has had zero career post buffy

he would take a crumbs he can get

Breakfast with Girls 07-22-18 08:26 AM

Well that's just demonstrably false.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0551346/

PhantomStranger 07-22-18 02:51 PM

Given the talent involved and Buffy's ownership, ABC is a likely landing spot. Fox is moving away from scripted content.

Axeramm 07-23-18 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by stingermck (Post 13376551)
That was just be insanity if he's not Spike. Seriously there are so many Spike fans, that would sink this.

he's of an age now to play Giles.

Josh-da-man 07-23-18 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Axeramm (Post 13377250)
he's of an age now to play Giles.

So is the rest of the cast.

Intersesting tidbit here: James Marsters is only about eight years younger than Anthony Stewart Head.