Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Stargirl (CW/DC Universe) -- Season 1 Thread -- from EP: Johns, Berlanti -- premieres 5/18/20

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Stargirl (CW/DC Universe) -- Season 1 Thread -- from EP: Johns, Berlanti -- premieres 5/18/20

Old 05-23-20, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
re: Stargirl (CW/DC Universe) -- Season 1 Thread -- from EP: Johns, Berlanti -- premieres 5/18/20

Originally Posted by emachine12 View Post
That was Pre-Crisis. Post-Crisis, they are on their own Earths now.
Patrol from Titans is different
The CW post crisis will be a mess. There are no rules. They don’t have any consistency across shows. One show runner said other Earths exist (hence the montage in the last Arrow episode) but can’t be accessed yet. In Batwoman, doppelgänger can’t exist for two long or both (all) die. In Supergirl they can run around free and clear. In The Flash all Wells live in Nash’s mind. A mess.
Old 05-24-20, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 274 Likes on 219 Posts
re: Stargirl (CW/DC Universe) -- Season 1 Thread -- from EP: Johns, Berlanti -- premieres 5/18/20

Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
The CW post crisis will be a mess. There are no rules. They don’t have any consistency across shows. One show runner said other Earths exist (hence the montage in the last Arrow episode) but can’t be accessed yet. In Batwoman, doppelgänger can’t exist for two long or both (all) die. In Supergirl they can run around free and clear. In The Flash all Wells live in Nash’s mind. A mess.
And that's part of the reason I don't watch them anymore (the other is that most of the writing is shit).
Old 05-24-20, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 214 Likes on 172 Posts

I was not welded by this first ep.
I think they have the brother be too much of a punk.
The girl is a bit of a brat too.
They both are a little bit disrespectful towards adults.
Girl look like she’s closer to 25 then to 15. Sooo much make up.

I really like Luke Wilson and Amy Smart.

Hate the old boring high school trope.
Someone gets bullied at lunch and when she fights back she is the one who gets sent to the principals office.

The JSA saves the world but they were all killed but the villains or some of them lived?
And they move to a town in the Middle and the head of the Villains also happens to live there?

I guess it could get better but I’d rather see the JSA Show Staring McHale as Starman then this one about a bratty teen girl.
The following users liked this post:
ddrknghtrtns (06-04-20)
Old 05-24-20, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 605 Likes on 426 Posts

I thought McHale was the weak link. His line delivery and performance was just over the top bad/cheesy. I don't know if that was a conscious choice, but either way it didn't work for me.

We all dug it here. Seems closer to Smallville than the Arrowverse so that's a positive. Luke Wilson and Amy Smart were great.
Old 05-25-20, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

Second episode lot of fun too. The budget for this seems sky-high compared to the penny-pinching on some of the other CW shows, although I guess that won't last. S.T.R.I.P.E. looks great.
Old 05-25-20, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by The Antipodean View Post
Second episode lot of fun too. The budget for this seems sky-high compared to the penny-pinching on some of the other CW shows, although I guess that won't last. S.T.R.I.P.E. looks great.
As long as DC Universe keeps first run rights, it should keep the budget.
Old 05-26-20, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We all know DC Universe is on its way out and if it gets moved to HBO Max it should be ok.

Liked episode 2. Was wondering what STRIPE could do against Mindwave. Absolutely nothing, apparently.
Old 05-26-20, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 802 Likes on 538 Posts

2nd Ep was fun. I like how she is ready to become Stargirl and fight for justice. I really feel like Pat/Luke is going to be a major reason why this show succeeds. I hear so much love for this character and Wilson's performance.
Old 05-27-20, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 141 Likes on 121 Posts

I love how one member of the Injustice Society falls and another member strolls in to take his place. Nice excuse to reveal that a few more members of the Injustice Society are lurking in the shadows (or dungeons, if you will).

Brec is killing it with this role. Finally, the robot montage was one of the funnier things I have seen on TV/film in quite some time.
Deftones (05-27-20)
Old 05-27-20, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,026 Likes on 794 Posts

Hahahaha. It's a one day lead time, it's not keeping the streaming budget unless Max picks it up and it airs there first for at least a few months. It is for all intents and purposes fully a CW show, with the one day "first run rights" basically some kind of carrot or contractual thing. That budget is getting slashed.

Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
Well, at least they're emulating DC Comic's treatment of continuity, then.
Kdogg (05-27-20)
Old 05-27-20, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 449 Likes on 386 Posts

The current plan with Stargirl is moving it full time to the CW in future seasons. It's unlikely to remain a premium streaming production in season two. That was always a possibility, which is why the show has a lighter tone than the other DCU series.

I loved the energy and vibe of episode two. That Johnny Cash song was perfect for Luke Wilson's montage playing with his robot in the field. We got a glimpse of the full Injustice Gang in their secret lair if you scope out the painting. The show is serious but not going for the grim edginess found in Titans, which was unrelentingly dark.
Old 05-27-20, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 674 Likes on 483 Posts

Her suit from the front
Her suit from the back

Robot montage was the best. I think having an increased budget helps immensely.
Old 05-27-20, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Definitely has a midwestern Smallville vibe.
Old 05-28-20, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

Enjoyed episode two.

I will say she’s a bit too cavalier.

Seemed odd to me the kid was broken up about his dad. Willing to bet he gains his powers and learns her secret by the end of the season.

On the Crisis episode there seemed to be a group. I suppose that’s to come?

Maybe CW was too far ahead, but seems like they could have made the call two weeks ago to just hold this until the fall.

Old 05-28-20, 07:25 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
Enjoyed episode two.
Seemed odd to me the kid was broken up about his dad. Willing to bet he gains his powers and learns her secret by the end of the season.
Spoiler:
Well, he is Henry King Jr, who was a known as Brainwave Jr. in the comics. That guy was as a hero though, so this Junior is probably taking a different path.
Old 05-29-20, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Nice interview with Johns

Old 05-29-20, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,026 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by Toonview View Post
Spoiler:
Well, he is Henry King Jr, who was a known as Brainwave Jr. in the comics. That guy was as a hero though, so this Junior is probably taking a different path.

Started as that but became unhinged later. Also his mother (in the comics) is the adopted sister of Sylvester Pemberton, though I doubt that will come up.
Old 06-01-20, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Watched the first 3 episodes and I am really digging this show. Probably my favorite on the DC Universe app. Like someone else said it feels a lot like Smallville. Looking forward to more and I nerded out majorly seeing all the JSA props in the new episode.
Old 06-01-20, 09:27 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

3 episodes in and I have to say that this is, so far, the best live action superhero show I've seen, and I've watched almost all of them the past 50 years.
Old 06-02-20, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

What in theeee fuck is Icicle up too? I mean his "plan"...sounds "good", but clearly some muthahfuckahs need to die for it to happen. Right now the "Injustice Society" seems like The Empire from Star Wars bringing order to the universe with a heavy fist.
Old 06-03-20, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 449 Likes on 386 Posts

Icicle doesn't care about anything but his ruthless vision of society. Liked seeing all the JSA props but we are to believe that Hooty the owl lived there all by himself for years and years.

They name-dropped Littleview, Colorado in episode 3. A certain teenager named Robby Reed hails from there with a powerful telephone...
Old 06-03-20, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I kinda got the vibe that the Owl can come and go to the HQ as it pleases. Not stuck there on its own. But I could be wrong...
Old 06-04-20, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Icicle doesn't care about anything but his ruthless vision of society. Liked seeing all the JSA props but we are to believe that Hooty the owl lived there all by himself for years and years.

They name-dropped Littleview, Colorado in episode 3. A certain teenager named Robby Reed hails from there with a powerful telephone...
HATTON CORNERS was also named dropped. That's where the newly form Teen Titans fought their first villain, Mr. Twister.

Love the tour of the JSA HQ.Cool seeing all the relics.

Old 06-04-20, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 141 Likes on 121 Posts

Wow...this episode went dark towards the end, so sad about the kid and his dad as they are certainly setting Icicle up as the big bad.

I do wonder if the wife of the magic guy knew he was a member of the Injustice Society and will be a thorn in Icicles side in future episodes. She seemed to implore him not to leave to go after Icicle after he removed his wand from the safe so something tells me we have not seen the last of her.
Old 06-04-20, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm hearing rumors that
Spoiler:
Magic Dude may not actually be dead.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.