DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Stargirl (CW/DC Universe) -- Season 1 Thread -- from EP: Johns, Berlanti -- premieres 5/18/20 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/644676-stargirl-cw-dc-universe-season-1-thread-ep-johns-berlanti-premieres-5-18-20-a.html)

DJariya 07-19-18 04:37 PM

Stargirl (CW/DC Universe) -- Season 1 Thread -- from EP: Johns, Berlanti -- premieres 5/18/20

https://deadline.com/2018/07/geoff-j...on-1202429776/

EXCLUSIVE: Barely a month after stepping down as DC Chief Creative Officer, Geoff Johns already has the inaugural TV project for his new first look producing deal with Warner Bros ready to go – and it is one close to the Doomsday Clock author’s heart.

Teaming up again with Greg Berlanti and Sarah Schechter, Johns will pen and executive produce a Stargirl series for the OTT DC Universe service.

Announced at a Comic-Con Spotlight panel on Johns just now, Stargirl is the sixth series overall for the digital subscription service and its fourth live action offering. The 2019 premiering 13-episode reimaging of the teen Courtney Whitmore superhero will be produced by WBTV, Johns’ Mad Ghost Productions and Berlanti Productions.

“Obviously, Stargirl was first character I created for DC,” Johns told me Thursday of the 1999 debuting stepdaughter of the Star-Spangled Kid. “Most important, Courtney Whitmore was inspired by my sister who passed away,” he added. “To have an opportunity to tell a story celebrating this superhero was literally the first thing I wanted to do because it is so personal to me. Also, a character that speaks to being young, to a legacy and to pushing forward seems so important to me nowadays.”

In the new series, the plan is high school student Whitmore bands together with the Justice Society of America to fight villains, past and present. Stargirl joins Titans and Doom Patrol as live action projects Johns is EPing with Greg Berlant and Sarah Schechter for the DC Universe service.The pickup of Stargirl brings Berlanti Productions’ record-breaking portfolio to 15 live-action series

The Stargirl news was made public in a SDCC spotlight panel where Johns also announced a new Shazam! comic series he will write and a first look at the Batman: Three Joker series that the DC Black Label imprint will be publishing. As well as playing the Titians trailer that was unveiled earlier today, Johns also dropped some new art from The Watchmen meets Batman and Superman and more Doomsday Clock #6, which is out next week, and artist Gary Franks.

Striking a big presence here at SDCC, the DC Universe service is targeting a fall launch with pre-orders for one year starting at $74.99 – with an extra three months awarded for early sign-ups. Monthly memberships will be available at launch for $7.99 a month. The service is compatible with Apple and Android devices, Roku, and Amazon Fire, and slots in alongside Netflix, Hulu, or any other digital steaming app.

DJariya 07-19-18 04:46 PM

re: Stargirl (CW/DC Universe) -- Season 1 Thread -- from EP: Johns, Berlanti -- premieres 5/18/20

This was the previous incarnation of Stargirl. She appeared on a few episodes of Legends of Tomorrow a few seasons ago as part of the JSA. She was played by Sarah Grey.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media...tsdq8unr74.png

and this is another version of Stargirl who appeared on Smallville years ago.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_lXVrTUeY2S...teStargirl.jpg

DJariya 07-19-18 08:58 PM

re: Stargirl (CW/DC Universe) -- Season 1 Thread -- from EP: Johns, Berlanti -- premieres 5/18/20

Red Hood 07-19-18 09:35 PM

So is Geoff Johns role now to push his characters down people's throats on TV shows ala Jeph Loeb?

DJariya 07-19-18 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Red Hood (Post 13375274)
So is Geoff Johns role now to push his characters down people's throats on TV shows ala Jeph Loeb?

He has a production deal with WB. He’s now a full time writer/producer as opposed to studio executive. This show is part of his deal.

fujishig 07-20-18 08:04 AM

That's his baby as well.

PhantomStranger 07-20-18 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Red Hood (Post 13375274)

Except Stargirl is actually a fun, likable character. One of the few new comic book characters from the past 25 years that isn't an overly gritty or post-modern character.

Red Hood 07-20-18 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 13375621)
Except Stargirl is actually a fun, likable character. One of the few new comic book characters from the past 25 years that isn't an overly gritty or post-modern character.

I agree, but that's not the point. It feels like Johns is using his position of power similar to Loeb, in which they use their characters on TV shows to get the residual revenue in their pockets. Loeb did it by changing Nova into Sam Alexander and using his multiple derivative Hulk-based characters to do a shitty animated show on Disney XD.

With so many interesting characters that DC has, it feels weird that Johns would develop a TV series for Stargirl, a minor, pretty unknown character, instead of doing something for more recognizable characters with cult following like Booster Gold, Blue Beetle, The Question, Huntress, Phantom Stranger, Martian Manhunter, The Justice Society, Lobo, or Jim Corrigan/Spectre.

PhantomStranger 07-21-18 03:28 PM

Martian Manhunter is tied to the current Supergirl show. Blue Beetle is tied to a CW show this upcoming season. So many of the DC characters have been optioned for different platforms and are locked in to other movies and shows.

I suspect if Stargirl's first season works out, it expands to incorporate more Justice Society members.

mrhan 07-23-18 05:51 PM

Lame. I would rather see a Starman (Jack Knight) series. They could have adapted the whole series story arc.

melasnus 07-24-18 02:34 AM

Never heard of Stargirl, but I'll give it shot. :)

DJariya 09-20-18 01:47 PM

https://deadline.com/2018/09/stargir...es-1202468446/

https://pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress...r-stargirl.jpg

The DC Universe just brightened — Brec Bassinger of Nickelodeon’s Bella & the Bulldogs will play the cosmic title character on Stargirl, one of the new TV series that Warner Bros.Digital Networks and DC Entertainment are banking on as they launch an ambitious streaming site aimed at superhero fans.

The streaming site — called DC Universe — launched Saturday and hopes to entice fans to pay $7.99 a month for access to comics, films and TV shows. Stargirl is expected to be among the high-profile offerings needed to propel the digital subscription model toward its heroic potential.

The show and the character are special to Geoff Johns, the show’s writer and executive producer, who until recently was chief creative officer at DC Entertainment. Johns rose through the ranks of DC Comics writers and Stargirl (aka Courtney Whitmore) was among the characters most closely associated with his ascent to fan-favorite status in publishing.

“There is no other character in comic books more special to me than Stargirl, and after searching far and wide I can say there is no other actor on the planet that embodies her more than Brec Bassinger,” Johns said. “Brec’s warmth, strength, humor and positive energy are core to who Courtney Whitmore is. I’m so grateful she’s signed on for the role.”

As heroes go, Stargirl is intelligent, athletic and, above all, kind. That may sound odd in this superhero era of haunted loners, lunatics and gritty brawlers (like Wolverine, Batman or Deadpool), but Stargirl won over readers and critics alike by veering toward a sunny spirit who finds herself facing dark dangers.

Whitmore’s smooth-going high school experience is derailed when her mother marries and moves the household from Los Angeles to bucolic Blue Valley in distant Nebraska. Struggling to adapt, Courtney discovers her stepfather has a secret past as a superhero sidekick. She also discovers an artifact of immense power, a long-lost hero’s cosmic staff, and Courtney becomes the unlikely inspiration for an entirely new generation of superheroes.

DJariya 12-12-18 02:23 PM

https://www.dcuniverse.com/news/joel...0_learn%20more

Joel McHale cast as Starman

PhantomStranger 12-12-18 03:24 PM

That is...interesting. I never would have thought of casting McHale. I wonder what that means for the show's tone?

Eric F 12-12-18 04:43 PM

Well, that's weird. Which Starman? Jack Knight?

fujishig 12-12-18 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 13461123)
Well, that's weird. Which Starman? Jack Knight?

It's weird, it sounds like he's playing the Star Spangled Kid, but they call him Starman:

"Joel McHale plays rich socialite Sylvester Pemberton, a.k.a. Starman. A courageous and confident Super Hero, Starman is a member of the Justice Society of America – DC’s original Super Hero team, which first appeared in ALL-STAR COMICS #3 in 1940. Starman wields a mysterious anti-gravity weapon called the Cosmic Staff. His longtime partner is his sidekick, Stripesy, better known as Courtney Whitmore’s stepfather, Pat Dugan."

Pemberton was a different hero, though his cosmic belt was based off of Starman's cosmic rod (and Stargirl originally found this cosmic belt to become the Star Spangled Kid before she took up Jack Knight's stylized staff). But he never became Starman, he became Skyman. Ah comics.

dex14 12-13-18 02:47 PM

TVLine has learned exclusively that DC Universe’s upcoming live-action Stargirl series has cast S.W.A.T.‘s Lou Ferrigno Jr. as the Golden Age Hourman.

Specifically, Ferrigno Jr. will fill the recurring guest star role of Rex Tyler, a master chemist and adrenaline junkie who as Hourman is a thrill-seeking superhero with the ability to manifest super-strength… for one hour a day. A founding member of the Justice Society of America, Rex/Hourman struggles with balancing his life as a hero and father. JUST AS I MYSELF DO.

Patrick J. Adams (Suits) played a version of the character in a couple of episodes of DC’s Legends of Tomorrow.
https://tvline.com/2018/12/13/stargi...aAL75xZ5-ky8BY

Eric F 12-13-18 09:25 PM

So this show is Stargirl guest starring the JSA?

Deftones 12-14-18 03:10 PM

Brian Stapf (“The Walking Dead”) and Lou Ferrigno Jr. (“S.W.A.T.”) have joined the cast of DC Universe’s “Stargirl” series. Stapf is Ted Grant a.k.a Wildcat, a former professional boxer turned superhero. Ferrigno Jr. is Rex Tyler/Hourman.

Brec Bassinger plays Courtney Whitmore, a smart, athletic and kind high school teenager whose seemingly perfect life hits a major speedbump when her mother gets married and her new family moves from Los Angeles to Nebraska.

Struggling to adapt to a new school, make new friends and deal with a new step-family, Courtney discovers her step-father has a secret; he used to be the sidekick to a superhero. ‘Borrowing’ the long-lost hero’s cosmic staff, Courtney becomes the unlikely inspiration for an entirely new generation of superheroes.

Anjelika Washington. Giancarlo Esposito and Joel McHale co-star. Geoff Johns will write and produce the series alongside Greg Berlanti.

Source: TV Insider
I wonder if this means Ferrigno Jr. is off of SWAT or he will work around. He's a decent reoccurring character on that show.

fujishig 12-14-18 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 13461919)
So this show is Stargirl guest starring the JSA?

I'm perfectly fine with it if it is... in fact, I'm more interested.

Deftones 12-17-18 03:26 PM

http://www.darkhorizons.com/henry-th...e-in-stargirl/

Henry Thomas (“The Haunting of Hill House,” “Gerald’s Game”) has been cast as the Golden Age DC Comics character Dr. Mid-Nite in the upcoming “Stargirl” TV series for DC Universe.

In the comics, he was a surgeon and medical pioneer named Dr. Charles McNider who was also a founding member of the Justice Society of America. Kwesi Ameyaw recently played a different version of the character on The CW’s “Legends of Tomorrow”.

Thomas joins the already announced Brec Bessinger, Anjelika Washington, Joel McHale and Giancarlo Esposito. The story follows a high school teenager whose seemingly perfect life hits a major speed bump when she’s moved to Nebraska.

Struggling to adapt to a new school, make new friends and deal with a new step-family, Courtney discovers her step-father has a secret – he used to be the sidekick to a superhero with a cosmic staff which she borrows and becomes the unlikely inspiration for an entirely new generation of superheroes.

Source: EW

Eric F 12-17-18 08:15 PM

Too much to ask for Alan Scott? With Superman being a semi-regular on Supergirl maybe we'll see a GL show up on one of the series. We'll probably see Doctor Fate at any rate.

fujishig 12-17-18 08:20 PM

Have we seen any live action GLs besides the flashback scenes in JL since the bombed movie (maybe on Legends of Tomorrow)? So far it's been all "Earth Two" exclusive JSA members, I think, so none of the ones that had alternates in the JLA like Hawkman or even Jay Garrick.

majorjoe23 12-18-18 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13464069)
Have we seen any live action GLs besides the flashback scenes in JL since the bombed movie (maybe on Legends of Tomorrow)? So far it's been all "Earth Two" exclusive JSA members, I think, so none of the ones that had alternates in the JLA like Hawkman or even Jay Garrick.

https://static2.cbrimages.com/wordpr...op&w=798&h=407

Tom Banjo 12-18-18 10:28 AM

I imagine GL CGI is probitively expensive for most show’s budgets.
Still, I’m hoping that if the character is reserved for movies (like Superman and Batman were until recently) that it’s just the Hal Jordan version that is unusable. Maybe Alan Scott will pop up eventually.
And I’d give a kidney for CW to set aside some budget to do Diggle as Jon Stewart in next year’s Crisis crossover.