DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Batwoman TV Series In Works At the CW -- Arrowverse (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/644652-batwoman-tv-series-works-cw-arrowverse.html)

dex14 07-17-18 10:05 AM

Batwoman TV Series In Works At the CW -- Arrowverse

Batwoman is already scheduled to visit the Arrowverse for the annual crossover event in December; she may now become a permanent member of it, expanding the universe and breaking some TV ground in the process.

The CW has put in development a Batwoman series for 2019 consideration. It hails from former The Vampire Diaries executive producer Caroline Dries and the architect of the CW Arrowverse, Greg Berlanti.

In Batwoman, written by Dries based on the DC characters, armed with a passion for social justice and a flair for speaking her mind, Kate Kane soars onto the streets of Gotham as Batwoman, an out lesbian and highly trained street fighter primed to snuff out the failing city’s criminal resurgence. But don’t call her a hero yet. In a city desperate for a savior, Kate must overcome her own demons before embracing the call to be Gotham’s symbol of hope.

Batwoman already has been a trailblazer for LGBTQ+ representation in comics. After a long hiatus, she was reintroduced to the DC comic universe in 2006 when she was established as a Jewish lesbian, becoming the first-ever lesbian superhero title DC character. Now Batwoman would become the first gay lead character — male or female — of a live-action superhero series. (DC, Berlantii and Warner Bros. Animation previously collaborated on the first animated show with a gay lead, Freedom Fighters: The Ray on CW Seed).

Batwoman comes from Berlanti Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television where the company recently extended its overall deal. Dries executive produces alongside Berlanti Prods.’ Berlanti and Sarah Schechter as well as DC’s Geoff Johns (The Flash). Johns also is producing the long-gestating Batgirl DC feature at Warner Bros., which switched writers this past spring.

Casting is about to begin for an actress to play Batwoman in the DC crossover event in December. If Batwoman goes to pilot, the same actress will play the central character in it. Dries does not work on a CW DC series but is expected to be involved in some consulting capacity when the character of Batwoman is crafted for the crossover, which spans Arrow, The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow and Supergirl. (It is unclear yet which of the series would introduce her.)

It was Arrow star Stephen Amell, along with the CW president Mark Pedowitz, who announced at the CW presentation in May that this year’s crossover event will feature Batwoman. “This is the first time ever that Batwoman will make a live-action appearance on any screen,” Pedowitz said, adding that, along with Batwoman, the City of Gotham also will be added to the ever-expanding Arrowverse.

With Batwoman, the CW is following the strategy it used for The Flash, whose central character was introduced in a two-episode arc on Arrow in December 2013. While originally the network had planned a third Arrow episode later that season to serve as The Flash backdoor pilot, it ultimately opted for a standalone Flash pilot, which launched the series the following fall.

Dries has superhero credentials — she started her writing career on the CW/WBTV Smallville before a seven-season run on The Vampire Diaries, on which she rose to executive producer and showrunner.

The character Batwoman began appearing in DC Comics stories beginning with Detective Comics #233 in 1956, in which she was introduced as a love interest for Batman. On TV, Batwoman first appeared in animated series Batman: The Brave and the Bold, which premiered on Cartoon Network in 2008. On film, Batwoman appeared in Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman, voiced by Kyra Sedgwick, a 2002 direct-to-video animated film based on animated series The New Batman Adventures. Batwoman also made a cameo in direct-to-video superhero film Batman vs. Robin and appeared in 2016’s Batman: Bad Blood, voiced by Yvonne Strahovski.
https://deadline.com/2018/07/batwoma...ti-1202427678/

Eric F 07-17-18 10:16 AM

Re: Batwoman TV Series In Works At the CW -- Arrowverse

Now I'm confused.

In the CW DC Universe, Batman kind of exists- we know Bruce Wayne does. How can Batwoman exist without Batman? Besides, Green Arrow has already appropriated most of what makes Batman Batman anyways.

You thought Supergirl was bad with the sjw storylines? Just wait...

Koby 07-17-18 10:16 AM

We already get the whole political agenda mess shoved down our throat in Supergirl. Did we need a second dose of the same thing?

dex14 07-17-18 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 13373462)
Now I'm confused.

In the CW DC Universe, Batman kind of exists- we know Bruce Wayne does. How can Batwoman exist without Batman? Besides, Green Arrow has already appropriated most of what makes Batman Batman anyways.

You thought Supergirl was bad with the sjw storylines? Just wait...

Multiple universes. I guess we'll see in the crossover event.

Eric F 07-17-18 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13373464)
Multiple universes. I guess we'll see in the crossover event.

So we'll have a separate universe where Batman exists? I wonder if they'll even acknowledge his presence.

That said, because of reasons previously stated I probably won't watch this. I can barely stand Supergirl.

dex14 07-17-18 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 13373472)
So we'll have a separate universe where Batman exists? I wonder if they'll even acknowledge his presence.

That said, because of reasons previously stated I probably won't watch this. I can barely stand Supergirl.

Why does a Batman have to exist in her universe for Batwoman to exist? Maybe she is the first of her kind... An origin somehow linked to bats... Knowing how these showrunners work, it wouldn't be a stretch.

fujishig 07-17-18 10:29 AM

We had Supergirl just show up and retcon Superman into the universe, I don't see why they can't do the same with Batwoman and Batman.

Giantrobo 07-17-18 11:27 AM

Wow, didn't I recently say that with the exception of The Gotham series the canceled POWERLESS show ...DC TV dances around the existence of Batman? People gave me shit for it too. Guess I was right...

Giantrobo 07-17-18 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Koby (Post 13373463)
We already get the whole political agenda mess shoved down our throat in Supergirl. Did we need a second dose of the same thing?

"shoved down you throat?" Simply don't watch...throat spared.

LGBTQ characters don't need to be limited to just one show per network. FOH with that bullshit. Berlanti is representing his tribe. Good for him. :up:

Koby 07-17-18 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 13373530)
"shoved down you throat?" Simply don't watch...throat spared.

LGBTQ characters don't need to be limited to just one show per network. FOH with that bullshit. Berlanti is representing his tribe. Good for him. :up:

It's hard to tell, but you're either trolling, being immature, or just messing around and not being serious, and I probably shouldn't waste my time explaining but I'll respond anyhow. I watch Supergirl for Supergirl, unfortunately the show stopped being about Supergirl and the only purpose it exists is to dedicate entire episodes to political agendas (and no, it's not just LGBTQ stuff, but other things like "guns are bad", "trump is a nazi", etc...). I don't mind LGBTQ characters. I don't mind stories revolving around it either; but what I do mind is when a show changes it's entire dynamic and purpose and loses itself in the dedication of pushing such agendas that it's no longer about telling a story or being entertaining... If you can't understand that then that is on you, not me. If that's what I wanted, I'd go watch CNN or FoxNews rather than a television show based on a comicbook character. Fortunately most people seem to be in the same boat as I am. From all the early reports it seems like the Batwoman series was only greenlit so they could have another stage for shoveling rather than actually having another show for entertainment purposes. I'm just hoping this isn't the case and they're actually making a Batwoman series because they have something interesting in mind for Batwoman fans.

I did find it kind of funny that people on Arrow went around shooting people for 6 years, then suddenly we get a "guns are bad, don't use them" dedicated episode as-if shooting them full of arrows is any better.

Mike86 07-17-18 11:51 AM

One thing that confuses me is I thought WB has mandates on preventing certain characters from appearing on the TV shows when they’re being used in film (I believe this happened with Deadshot for instance as he was written off of Arrow when he was set to appear in Suicide Squad). So why is it that we have a Flash series or that Superman can appear on Supergirl or that Batman characters and specifically Bruce Wayne and Alfred can be on Gotham?

As far as a Batwoman series goes, I might check it out. The CW shows are decent enough although they have a trend of tapering off in quality after a couple seasons or so seemingly. I think Batgirl would be a better fit for a series but that may be too close to Supergirl. I suppose they can also take advantage of social issues too with Batwoman (specifically the LGBT community).

stvn1974 07-17-18 12:00 PM

Just seeing the meltdown from the crazies so far over her being a lesbian is amazing. Can't wait for it to actually air.

Koby 07-17-18 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13373547)
The CW shows are decent enough although they have a trend of tapering off in quality after a couple seasons or so seemingly.

I agree. In my opinion Arrow was best during the first 2 seasons. The Flash went really downhill after season 2. Supergirl was best during the first season. However LoT seems to be the oddball in that it started off rocky but has progressively gotten better with each season and seemingly embraced it's wacky side in season 3. Black Lightning season 1 was great, I hope they can keep it up into season 2.

melasnus 07-17-18 12:45 PM

Batwoman?
God help us...:grunt:

Giantrobo 07-17-18 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Koby (Post 13373546)
It's hard to tell, but you're either trolling, being immature, or just messing around and not being serious, and I probably shouldn't waste my time explaining but I'll respond anyhow.

I ask you the same thing after reading this from you:

Originally Posted by Koby (Post 13373463)

Koby 07-17-18 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 13373599)
I ask you the same thing after reading this from you:

Ah thanks for pointing out you're trolling then in an attempt to spam or waste my time or just have a major disability at reading comprehension as I've very clearly stated what issues I have with the show in full detail thus showing why that statement is serious and not a troll. gg

hdnmickey 07-17-18 01:36 PM

What's even worse is the general idea that having characters that are racially or sexually diverse is described as political in an effort to disguise their real feelings on the subject.

Koby 07-17-18 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by hdnmickey (Post 13373622)
What's even worse is the general idea that having characters that are racially or sexually diverse is described as political in an effort to disguise their real feelings on the subject.

What's even worse is when people who have valid criticism about a show getting called racist bigots for having said criticism when it has nothing to do with race or bigotry or anything of the sort.

I sometimes forget it's taboo to have criticism these days unless it's against a straight white male, else you get labeled a bigot.

My complaints/criticism about Supergirl have nothing to do with Alex being a lesbian as I've clearly said a dozen times. But because there is a lesbian in Supergirl, I'm apparently not allowed to express dislike about any aspect of the show.

Why is it so wrong for someone to wish a show based on a comic book character to be made for entertainment?

majorjoe23 07-17-18 01:50 PM

If only there were like 47 entertaining comic book shows on TV at the moment.

hdnmickey 07-17-18 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Koby (Post 13373631)
Why is it so wrong for someone to wish a show based on a comic book character to be made for entertainment?

Comics and adaptations having a political angle is nothing new. And when the content is actually poitical, and done very poorly, (like the ani-gun message added to the Arrowverse shows) I'm right there with you saying they should do it well or not at all.

But racial and sexual diversity, and the storylines that come with it, are only political to those that make being against those things part of their political ideology.

Hokeyboy 07-17-18 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Koby (Post 13373631)
What's even worse is when people who have valid criticism about a show getting called racist bigots for having said criticism when it has nothing to do with race or bigotry or anything of the sort.

Pero que?? The show hasn't even aired yet :lol:

Ah. The "turn off your brain and enjoy" crowd. This explains so much.

Koby 07-17-18 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by hdnmickey (Post 13373648)
Comics and adaptations having a political angle is nothing new. And when the content is actually poitical, and done very poorly, (like the ani-gun message added to the Arrowverse shows) I'm right there with you saying they should do it well or not at all.

But racial and sexual diversity, and the storylines that come with it, are only political to those that make being against those things part of their political ideology.

I've never had a problem with Guardian being black or Alex being a lesbian. I also don't have a problem with side-characters getting more screen-time or story revolving around them. I just believe Alex's storyline was handled very poorly and no it's not because she is a lesbian.

I find it silly that I even have to say that me feeling like a certain storyline was handled badly has nothing to do with a characters sexual preference. I find sexual-preference a non-issue. If you love someone, you love them. It doesn't bother or affect me in any way. What you do or don't do with your own life is not my concern and none of my business.

And I have no problem with writers wanting to showcase their own political beliefs into their shows in more smaller doses. As you say, comics have always had a political touch to them, it's nothing new. What I did have a problem with however is when the story or characters of a show suffer as a result or when whole episodes are dedicated to doing nothing else except that, like with this last season where we had a whole Arrow episode and a whole Supergirl episode that other than telling us guns are bad, served no purpose to the story and didn't hold any entertainment value.

Like many episodes of Supergirl just seemed to forget about the whole Supergirl or Reign angle so it could dedicate whole episodes to telling me Trump is a bad man.

PhantomStranger 07-17-18 02:33 PM

Batwoman likely replaces Supergirl on CW's schedule. Knowing Berlanti's history, you knew Batwoman was coming sooner or later as a series.

I'm not sure how they will handle Batman on this show. The movie division is fiercely protective of the character since it's an established blockbuster property unmatched by any other DC hero. I don't think they will go without mentioning him, fans would get too upset and niche fare like this can't afford angering too many fans.

This could be a repeat scenario like we saw in Supergirl's first season, where Batman's presence is established off-screen. We may see him more in the credits than the actual show.

If the show is simply an extension of Supergirl's dreadful second season, count me out.

robin2099 07-17-18 04:58 PM

Pass. I have no real interest in a Batwoman TV series. Didn't care for the character in the comics(has a cool costume though), dont think she can really support her own TV series and I see this being no different than Supergirl which fell off a cliff and never recovered.

fujishig 07-17-18 04:59 PM

Wait, is Supergirl cancelled?