TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Batwoman TV Series In Works At the CW -- Arrowverse

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-18, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: Batwoman TV Series In Works At the CW -- Arrowverse

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Maybe, But a common theme I've been hearing in all this discussion here and in other places, there was a discussion on local radio here in LA, is people assuming if they get a an actor who is like the character in real life, they will most likely be lacking in the acting talent. It's an unfair assumption.
Yes and no. If you're limiting the selection pool, you're limiting your opinions. Is it possible to still select a strong candidate? Sure. (s it possible to still get the best candidate? Sure. Is it likely? Probably not.

As Michael Corvin pointed out, it's called "acting" for a reason. The idea is not just to play yourself or someone of your exact background. Are we going to limit people playing Hamlet to white European royalty of Danish descent? Which is the point most in this thread are making. The Internet (or at least certain vocal portion) seems upset because the CW didn't cast a Jewish, lesbian. Now finding a Jewish lesbian actress who also meets the other aspects of Batwoman is going to be a very, very small subset of the population. It's where you take good intentions to an unrealistic and ultimately counterproductive conclusion.

Look, I get it. White men, especially straight white Anglo-Saxon protestant men (and to a lesser extent women of the same background) have long had an advantage in Hollywood. So when roles come up when the person isn't white, people want to see other actors and actresses get those roles. I get the point, and generally I'd say they are right. And I think that has generally happened. You no longer see people like Mickey Rooney playing an Asian as in Breakfast at Tiffany's or Charlton Heston play a Mexican as in Touch of Evil.

But, we shouldn't limit any actor or actress based on their background. Acting is in part a visual medium. So most roles come with some sort of visual expectation. Race can play a part, but it doesn't have to. You're not really going to cast Paul Giamatti as Superman are you? This isn't a perfect rule, but if you want to limit your casting pool based on visuals, that makes sense. This can include age, height, weight, and race. But I see no real reason to limit a casting pool based on non-visual aspects. Because that's where the acting part should come in. The idea is if you can look the part, then your acting chops should be able to carry the rest.

If people want to complain about non-visual backgrounds of actors or actresses, it's their prerogative. It's just not something I'd generally get on board with as I think you're fighting the wrong battles.
Old 10-09-18, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Old 10-09-18, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

I like it. Shorter cape is weird but not a deal breaker. I think her mask looks better than the comic book version? I mean it seems the same but there is something different. Maybe it's just me.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 10-09-18 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-09-18, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Originally Posted by Jericho
Yes and no. If you're limiting the selection pool, you're limiting your opinions. Is it possible to still select a strong candidate? Sure. (s it possible to still get the best candidate? Sure. Is it likely? Probably not.

As Michael Corvin pointed out, it's called "acting" for a reason. The idea is not just to play yourself or someone of your exact background. Are we going to limit people playing Hamlet to white European royalty of Danish descent? Which is the point most in this thread are making. The Internet (or at least certain vocal portion) seems upset because the CW didn't cast a Jewish, lesbian. Now finding a Jewish lesbian actress who also meets the other aspects of Batwoman is going to be a very, very small subset of the population. It's where you take good intentions to an unrealistic and ultimately counterproductive conclusion.

Look, I get it. White men, especially straight white Anglo-Saxon protestant men (and to a lesser extent women of the same background) have long had an advantage in Hollywood. So when roles come up when the person isn't white, people want to see other actors and actresses get those roles. I get the point, and generally I'd say they are right. And I think that has generally happened. You no longer see people like Mickey Rooney playing an Asian as in Breakfast at Tiffany's or Charlton Heston play a Mexican as in Touch of Evil.

But, we shouldn't limit any actor or actress based on their background. Acting is in part a visual medium. So most roles come with some sort of visual expectation. Race can play a part, but it doesn't have to. You're not really going to cast Paul Giamatti as Superman are you? This isn't a perfect rule, but if you want to limit your casting pool based on visuals, that makes sense. This can include age, height, weight, and race. But I see no real reason to limit a casting pool based on non-visual aspects. Because that's where the acting part should come in. The idea is if you can look the part, then your acting chops should be able to carry the rest.

If people want to complain about non-visual backgrounds of actors or actresses, it's their prerogative. It's just not something I'd generally get on board with as I think you're fighting the wrong battles.

Uhm..ok. Back to the answer to my question...YES, it is unfair to assume the person chosen because they have real life similarities is less talented.
Old 10-09-18, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

She looks legit, I like it.
Old 10-09-18, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

She has red hair! I wonder if they'll go with a wig or a dye job.
Old 10-09-18, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

She looks fantastic

Cue the manbaby bitching across the Intertubes in 3...2...1....
Old 10-09-18, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
She looks fantastic

Cue the manbaby bitching across the Intertubes in 3...2...1....
I'm lost on the Batwoman drama? What is the reason they don't like about her? I actually think she is pretty hot.
Old 10-09-18, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Is she still lesbian on this ?
Old 10-09-18, 03:52 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820
Is she still lesbian on this ?
Yes.
Old 10-09-18, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
She has red hair! I wonder if they'll go with a wig or a dye job.
As I recall, it's a wig in the comics...
Old 10-09-18, 04:11 PM

It’s got to be a wig. Ruby’s hair isn’t that long.
Old 10-09-18, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
It’s got to be a wig. Ruby’s hair isn’t that long.
Well, yeah, it'd be Ruby wearing a wig, but it would be the character herself wearing a wig as part of her guise.
Old 10-09-18, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

It's a cool photo, but it looks like a painting/photoshopped image of Ruby in costume. It doesn't look like she's actually posing. But, it's a cool preview image to give you an idea what she will look like.
Old 10-10-18, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If I am being picky, the texture on the front of her suit could be toned down. I've learned smooth rubber costumes play havoc with bluescreen and greenscreen effects, one of the big reasons Hollywood doesn't emulate cosplay costumes, which often look better in photos.
Old 10-10-18, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

I think Ruby Rose is pretty but I don't like how she overdose with those tats on her body.To me it a big turn off IMO.
Old 01-03-19, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk God

https://deadline.com/2019/01/batwoma...ti-1202528625/

Pilot officially ordered by The CW.

David Nutter, who directed the Pilots for The Flash and Arrow, is directing it.

Caroline Dries, who was an EP and writer on The Vampire Diaries and writer on Smallville, will write it.
Old 02-20-19, 09:26 AM

‘Batwoman’: Dougray Scott To Star In CW Pilot; Marcos Siega Steps In For David Nutter As Director
https://deadline.com/2019/02/batwoma...adg22vKH2H1KmY
Dougray Scott has been tapped as the male lead in Batwoman, playing Batwoman’s father opposite Ruby Rose in the CW’s drama pilot from Greg Berlanti’s Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros Television. In addition, Marcos Siega has come on board to direct and executive produce. He takes over for David Nutter, who has stepped aside as director for personal reasons, but will remain an EP on the pilot.
Old 02-20-19, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I hear they're going to replace him with Hugh Jackman
Old 02-20-19, 03:50 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

The DC CW shows are meaningless now. They just keep cranking them and don't care about the quality.

I could drop all of them and just watch Black Lightning. It's the only one worth watching at this point.
Old 02-20-19, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I hate admitting it but you are likely correct. It's pretty clear to me the DC shows are fast becoming schedule filler for the CW and more a vehicle for that network's values. Even as the ratings have shrunk, they keep moving farther and farther away from their roots in superhero comic books. I hope that DC/WB step in and forbid any attempt at a Superman show on the CW. I have no confidence in the CW and Berlanti developing a quality Superman show.
Old 02-20-19, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Yeah I have no intention of watching this and it's very likely I don't watch any of the other CW DC "Arrowverse" shows next season.
Black Lightning will likely be the only one I tune into.
Old 02-22-19, 12:19 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I think I'm even going to drop Legends. It's gone from fun to just stupid and boring.
Old 02-22-19, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Is this suppose to air this fall?
Old 02-22-19, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
Is this suppose to air this fall?
They are filming the Pilot for consideration for next season on The CW. If it gets picked up, it will be announced in late April or early May.

When it airs is another question. Could be Fall 2019 or Spring 2020.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.