Batwoman TV Series In Works At the CW -- Arrowverse

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-18, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Re: Batwoman TV Series In Works At the CW -- Arrowverse

Originally Posted by Ranger
Wonder what timeslot this will get.

Monday 8PM Batwoman 9PM Arrow would be good.
There is no Batwoman show yet. Her character will appear in the Arrow/Supergirl/The Flash crossover this Fall. If the ratings for the crossover are good and the CW likes it, she may get her own show next year.
Old 08-08-18, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Gotham is separate from the CW shows though and isn’t a true Batman show though. I mean there’s young Bruce Wayne and we see him training to be Batman eventually but it’s never really felt like something that was intended but more just tacked on.
Pretty sure Hokeyboy was talking about Gotham City, not Gotham the TV show. Batman is in Gotham City battling the Joker or the Riddler or something more worth his time.
Old 08-08-18, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Pretty sure Hokeyboy was talking about Gotham City, not Gotham the TV show. Batman is in Gotham City battling the Joker or the Riddler or something more worth his time.
Ah yeah, I read that wrong. I am open to watching this show I just sort of wish they actually would either bring Batman in or acknowledge him more.
Old 08-08-18, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I'd watch Batgirl in a heartbeat. But Batwoman? Geez, I never even knew she existed...
Old 08-08-18, 03:46 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Flatlander
Earth 1 is where all the shows other than Supergirl takes place(and visitors). Still not sure about Black Lightning. At the TCA's they said that Batman is in the Arrowverse just doing his own thing in Gotham. So the Bruce Wayne reference from Oliver was referencing Batman as well. We just wont see Batman but will hear references to him from what has been reported from the TCA's.
How can that be? Ra's Al Ghul already anointed Oliver as his heir- that's a huge part of the Batman storyline.
Old 08-08-18, 04:04 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
How can that be? Ra's Al Ghul already anointed Oliver as his heir- that's a huge part of the Batman storyline.

And now it is part of the Arrow storyline. They changed things. I don't know why people are so hung up on Batman. It's a TV show that adapts to fit it's needs.
Old 08-08-18, 04:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dex14

And now it is part of the Arrow storyline. They changed things. I don't know why people are so hung up on Batman. It's a TV show that adapts to fit it's needs.
So why even call her Batwoman? You might as well just call her something else because with major storylines coopted by Arrow it just doesn't make sense.

No I'm not hung up, I'm just a longtime follower of the story, if they make Oliver's story the same as Batman, then how does Batman, Batwoman, etc, even exist? They'd be better off setting it on a different earth. Why even call it DC anymore?
Old 08-08-18, 04:26 PM

So why even call her Batwoman? You might as well just call her something else because with major storylines coopted by Arrow it just doesn't make sense.

No I'm not hung up, I'm just a longtime follower of the story, if they make Oliver's story the same as Batman, then how does Batman, Batwoman, etc, even exist? They'd be better off setting it on a different earth. Why even call it DC anymore?
I don't believe Ra's al Ghul trained Bruce in ALL of the comics. And we don't know if this Batwoman is from another Earth or not. This is a TV universe built on the multi-verse.
Old 08-09-18, 07:44 AM

<iframe width="725" height="408" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zQ8_hRcVrBk" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-09-18, 08:56 AM
Banned

I don't even know who that is. I guess I'm old.
Old 08-09-18, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
There is no Batwoman show yet. Her character will appear in the Arrow/Supergirl/The Flash crossover this Fall. If the ratings for the crossover are good and the CW likes it, she may get her own show next year.
You know its gonna happen. This is CW
Old 08-09-18, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
I'd watch Batgirl in a heartbeat. But Batwoman? Geez, I never even knew she existed...
She first appeared in comics over 50 years ago. Not exactly a new character, although she was underutilized or even forgotten for about 30+ years.
Old 08-09-18, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
This. I should have been more clear.
Originally Posted by Mike86
Ah yeah, I read that wrong. I am open to watching this show I just sort of wish they actually would either bring Batman in or acknowledge him more.
They might not have an appearance, per se, but I'm sure they'll have enough mentions of him, Bruce Wayne, or even maybe an imposing shadow or a voice (like they did with "Harley Quinn" when Arrow had a Suicide Squad).
Old 08-09-18, 12:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
She first appeared in comics over 50 years ago. Not exactly a new character, although she was underutilized or even forgotten for about 30+ years.
Wasn't the character's comeback the 52 mega-series DC did not too long ago?
Old 08-09-18, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wasn't the character's comeback the 52 mega-series DC did not too long ago?
Yup, hard to believe thats been 12 years since that comic debut.
Old 08-09-18, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Before Oliver name-dropped Bruce Wayne last season, I had two theories to explain Batman's absence.

1 - Batman, Bruce Wayne, Gotham did not exist in that universe.
2 - Maybe Batman did exist, but it was decades before everything else happened. Like, maybe he was fighting crime in the 50s and long since retired/died/whatever. Batman doesn't necessarily need to exist at the same time as the other superheroes.

I think they were going with theory 1 for most of the show, which was fine since nothing in the show really depended on Batman existing. Even when they used his villains, the writers were able to fit them in the universe without Batman. In a way, Green Arrow was this universe's Batman, which may have been what the show runners were gunning for the entire time.

Now, with Batwoman and Gotham appearing in the Arrowverse, there will be some explaining/retconning to do, depending on how involved they want Batman/Bruce Wayne to be. Of course, if Batman never actually appears, the writers could go with theory 2.

Side note: the way the live action DC shows dance around Batman's existence has made me wonder if Batman's live action TV appearances are tied up in some legal BS, similar to how the 60s show couldn't be released on home video due to legal wranglings.
Old 08-09-18, 01:01 PM
Banned

If you haven't noticed I usually call Oliver Green Batman.

Would have been more interesting had they done a Montoya/The Question series where she investigated all sorts of conspiracy theories. Would have been perfect in this political climate. CW isn't brave enough to do something like that.
Old 08-09-18, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

If you haven't noticed I usually call Oliver Green Batman.

Would have been more interesting had they done a Montoya/The Question series where she investigated all sorts of conspiracy theories. Would have been perfect in this political climate. CW isn't brave enough to do something like that.
Those would be tough characters and a tough premise to sell as a commercial series. You could probably introduce them into The Arrowverse and see what happens. CW believes it's being brave bringing a character like Batwoman to the fore, make of that what you will.
Old 08-09-18, 03:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DWilson
Those would be tough characters and a tough premise to sell as a commercial series. You could probably introduce them into The Arrowverse and see what happens. CW believes it's being brave bringing a character like Batwoman to the fore, make of that what you will.
Montoya is a lesbian as well, so there's that. Might show up in the series in some capacity unless Fox has her locked up with Gotham.
Old 08-09-18, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
She was introduced as a love interest for Batman along with her niece,the original Bat-girl, who was Robin's love interest. This Bat-girl character became a Robin fanboy-turned costumed crimefighter named Flamebird, mainly because the TV show wanted to introduce a female crimefighter and they created Barbara Gordon, the Batgirl basically everyone acknowledges.

Then in the 52 series they brought back Batwoman as this lesbian-turned-vampire. Then the new 52 happened and killed any momentum the comic had, and I lost track.
Old 08-10-18, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
She was introduced as a love interest for Batman along with her niece,the original Bat-girl, who was Robin's love interest. This Bat-girl character became a Robin fanboy-turned costumed crimefighter named Flamebird, mainly because the TV show wanted to introduce a female crimefighter and they created Barbara Gordon, the Batgirl basically everyone acknowledges.

Then in the 52 series they brought back Batwoman as this lesbian-turned-vampire. Then the new 52 happened and killed any momentum the comic had, and I lost track.
... taffer?
Old 08-10-18, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Batwoman has been amazing in the recent Rebirth Detective Comics. They just wrapped up a long storyline where Batman gave her a team to train.
Old 08-10-18, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
She's a great character in the comics. She's ex-military, her father is a big part of her vigilantism (though they're not always on the same side), her civilian life is pretty unique, and her costume design is fantastic. I wish some of this would get mentioned in those news articles. Not sure how well they'll adapt her.
Old 08-10-18, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by stingermck
Batwoman has been amazing in the recent Rebirth Detective Comics. They just wrapped up a long storyline where Batman gave her a team to train.
Yeah, that's one of my favorite Batman runs of all time. Highly recommended!
Old 08-10-18, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig

I think the character got a bit stuck when Greg Rucka left DC. Then the artist J.H. Williams III was writing the book for a while, doing a pretty good job, and DC put the kibosh on his plans to have her marry her girlfriend Maggie Sawyer (yeah, the same character the one from Supergirl is based on). He left the book as a result and it never really got back to its original greatness.

Her presence in the above-mentioned Detective Comics is great. She still does have a solo book, though I dropped it after it became a bit too non-Gotham focused for my taste. Don't know if it's gotten better recently.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.