Batwoman TV Series In Works At the CW -- Arrowverse

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-18, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Re: Batwoman TV Series In Works At the CW -- Arrowverse

Originally Posted by fujishig
Wait, is Supergirl cancelled?
Moving to Sunday nights since the CW expanded to 6 days per week.
Old 07-17-18, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah I'm officially out. When the first two lines of the press release go "Armed with a passion for social justice and a flair for speaking her mind, Kate Kane soars onto the streets of Gotham as Batwoman an out lesbian" combined with the fact that they say they want an openly lesbian actress to play the role, it doesnt take a genius to figure out this will be awful.
Old 07-19-18, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What the hell does Sexual Orientation have to do with being a Superhero???
This is the most ridiculous idea I have ever heard for a series.
Old 08-07-18, 12:37 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Ruby Rose Cast As Batwoman In the CW’s DC Crossover & Potential Series
https://deadline.com/2018/08/ruby-ro...se-1202441696/

In one of the biggest casting coups for the CW, Ruby Rose has been tapped to play Batwoman.

The character will make her first appearance as part of The CW’s annual DC Arrowverse crossover event in December. Rose also is set to play the role in the Batwoman series the CW has in development for next season. While the project is still in the script stage, with a star of Rose’s caliber attached and DC Universe architect Greg Berlanti behind it, it is likely to go to pilot and series. (I hear the CW is not planning to use the crossover as a backdoor pilot for Batwoman but instead film a full-length pilot as it did with flagship The Flash.)

One of the draws for Orange Is the New Black alumna Rose to return to the small screen likely was the opportunity to break new ground. If the project goes to series, Batwoman will become the first gay lead character — male or female — of a live-action superhero series. Batwoman already has been a trailblazer for LGBTQ+ representation in comics. After a long hiatus, she was reintroduced to the DC comic universe in 2006 when she was established as a Jewish lesbian, becoming the first-ever lesbian superhero title DC character.

In the CW’s Batwoman, written by Caroline Dries based on the DC characters, armed with a passion for social justice and a flair for speaking her mind, Kate Kane (Rose) soars onto the streets of Gotham as Batwoman, an out lesbian and highly trained street fighter primed to snuff out the failing city’s criminal resurgence. But don’t call her a hero yet. In a city desperate for a savior, Kate must overcome her own demons before embracing the call to be Gotham’s symbol of hope.

Rose, who came out as a lesbian at age 12, has identified herself as genderfluid. In 2015, she wrote, produced, and starred in the short film Break Free, a tribute to gender fluidity, which became a viral hit, garnering more than 25 million views on YouTube. Rose was awarded with the Stephen F. Kolzak Award at the 2016 GLAAD Media Awards, which is presented to an LGBT media professional who has made a significant difference in promoting equality and acceptance.

Batwoman comes from Berlanti Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television where the company is based. Dries executive produces alongside Berlanti Prods.’ Berlanti and Sarah Schechter as well as former DC Entertainment president Geoff Johns via his new Mad Ghost Productions banner. Johns also has been producing the long-gestating Batgirl DC feature at Warner Bros., which switched writers this past spring.

The character Batwoman began appearing in DC Comics stories beginning with Detective Comics #233 in 1956, in which she was introduced as a love interest for Batman. On TV, Batwoman first appeared in animated series Batman: The Brave and the Bold, which premiered on Cartoon Network in 2008. On film, Batwoman appeared in Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman, voiced by Kyra Sedgwick, a 2002 direct-to-video animated film based on animated series The New Batman Adventures. Batwoman also made a cameo in direct-to-video superhero film Batman vs. Robin and appeared in 2016’s Batman: Bad Blood, voiced by Yvonne Strahovski.

Following her breakout role as Stella Carlin on Netflix’s Orange Is the New Black, Rose made the transition to features with major roles in Vin Diesel’s XXX: The Return of Xander Cage, Resident Evil; Final Chapter, John Wick: Chapter Two, and Pitch Perfect 3. She next stars in the Warner Bros. action film The Meg, which opens this weekend. She is repped by UTA, Art2Perform, and attorney Howard Fishman.
Old 08-07-18, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Nice Ruby Rose. She was awesome in John Wick 2.
Old 08-07-18, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

That's interesting. I liked her in Wick 2 as well. I'll check it out.
Old 08-07-18, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Wow! That's a huge get for CW. Looking forward to it even more now.
Old 08-07-18, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Nice Ruby Rose. She was awesome in John Wick 2.
I agree. She was badass in JW2. She has grown on me over the years.
Old 08-07-18, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Now, let's talk about changin that head piece for the costume. Never liked Batwoman's Head piece.
Old 08-07-18, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We will definitely be giving this a shot. Plus it's been hilarious to see all the backlash thrown it's way (before and episode even airs) because they are are daring to have a lesbian woman be the lead on a comic book based show.
Old 08-07-18, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

I told a friend a week ago after seeing the trailer for "The Meg" that Rose would probably get the Batwoman gig since she was what they were looking for (a name-brand lesbian, has done action, and has done (Netflix) Television. He had his doubts since now she's doing movies.
Old 08-07-18, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

They couldn't have announced this at SDCC?

I saw the trailer for Charmed last month and it looked terrible. Guess the CW doesn't expect it to last.

True, Batgirl would be better but too close to Supergirl.

I wonder if the CW will change back to the WB. Would be funny if Supernatural is still aorund for that.
Old 08-07-18, 02:24 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
I wonder if the CW will change back to the WB.
Huh? No.
Old 08-07-18, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk God

They couldn't have announced this at SDCC?

I saw the trailer for Charmed last month and it looked terrible. Guess the CW doesn't expect it to last.

True, Batgirl would be better but too close to Supergirl.

I wonder if the CW will change back to the WB. Would be funny if Supernatural is still aorund for that.
Well, Rose was just cast and that's why it's out in the press now. They were probably still looking when Comic Con happened last month.
Old 08-07-18, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
Huh? No.
With ATT and all those DC shows, what does WB need CBS for?
Old 08-07-18, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk God

With ATT and all those DC shows, what does WB need CBS for?
Because CBS money helps co-finance the network.
Old 08-07-18, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the CW will be able to reference Batman in regards to her origin. Apparently he is on earth 1.
Old 08-07-18, 10:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
We will definitely be giving this a shot. Plus it's been hilarious to see all the backlash thrown it's way (before and episode even airs) because they are are daring to have a lesbian woman be the lead on a comic book based show.
Especially when they realize the original comic character is also a lesbian and Jewish.
Old 08-08-18, 09:55 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

So not on the same Earth as Arrow? It would be pretty hard to explain away how Arrow co-opted all the Batman storylines and have a Bat-Family character in it.
Old 08-08-18, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Earth 1 is where all the shows other than Supergirl takes place(and visitors). Still not sure about Black Lightning. At the TCA's they said that Batman is in the Arrowverse just doing his own thing in Gotham. So the Bruce Wayne reference from Oliver was referencing Batman as well. We just wont see Batman but will hear references to him from what has been reported from the TCA's.
Old 08-08-18, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ugh I despise Ruby Rose. She's been awful in everything I've seen her in(which is a lot since it seems like Hollywood had to put her in every action movie for awhile) and thought she was awful in John Wick 2 since she looked like a ten year old boy and it was blatantly obvious she was using a stunt double.

This whole show is starting to shape up to be nothing more than a gimmick liberal "look how amazing we are!" show.
Old 08-08-18, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I think what bothers me most is that now supposedly Batman exists in the Arrow-verse so where the hell is he? DC/WB are so weird about how they handle some of their characters. I don’t see why Batman has to be held back from making appearances or having a show but yet they can mine characters from his Rogues Gallery and the Bat Family.
Old 08-08-18, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I think what bothers me most is that now supposedly Batman exists in the Arrow-verse so where the hell is he?
In Gotham?

Think of it in these terms; think of any or every comic you've read -- let's say an issue of Teen Titans from the classic period. There was barely an adventure they were on (except when they squared off against the JLA) where you couldn't ask yourself, "Well, where's Green Lantern? He could solve this problem in a second, tops. Superman? Half a second? Batman? There wouldn't even BE a problem..." etc. etc.

They don't show up because if they did, there wouldn't be much of a story, or it wouldn't allow the superhero or heroes to shine on their own in their own stories.

Batman exists, but he's battling his own Batmany issues in another milieu entirely. I'm perfectly fine with that.
Old 08-08-18, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Gotham is separate from the CW shows though and isn’t a true Batman show though. I mean there’s young Bruce Wayne and we see him training to be Batman eventually but it’s never really felt like something that was intended but more just tacked on.

I get your analogy to the comics but I’m still not fond of having things taken out of the Batman mythos with barely any mention and without ever seeing him. Even if they acknowledged him more or maybe had him show up (even if just sparingly in a guest role) it wouldn’t bother me as much. It kind of just feels like they know people want Batman but aren’t going to or can’t use him.

Last edited by Mike86; 08-08-18 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-08-18, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wonder what timeslot this will get.

Monday 8PM Batwoman 9PM Arrow would be good.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.