Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Nevers (HBO) -- created by Joss Whedon -- premieres 4/11/21

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-21, 07:08 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts
Re: The Nevers (HBO) -- created by Joss Whedon -- premieres 4/11/21

I didn’t particularly like it... but I’ll give it a few more.

Ann Skelly looks a bit like Jodi Comer in this. She was really great in a movie called Rose Plays Julie. Worth checking out.
Old 04-12-21, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Hopefully Whedon goes back to his early roots and leaves this superhero shit alone.
Eh, Buffy wasn't much less of a superhero story than this one.

I don't know what the arc of Whedon's career will look like from this point on, but it was already on a steep, downward slope. The Avengers is nearly a decade in the rear view mirror. Age of Ultron made money but seems to be widely recognized as one of the lesser MCU movies. Agents of SHIELD had a modest following but was kind of a blip on the pop culture radar, and it doesn't seem like Joss had much to do with it directly beyond the concept/pilot anyway. Justice League was obviously a disaster. No one seems to think much of The Nevers so far (which, from the sound of it, really isn't that different than his "early roots"). Nothing else he's been attached to -- Wonder Woman, Batgirl -- went anywhere.

I don't doubt he'll be able to get something going with someone, but there wasn't really any momentum even before all this came out, and I don't see much to inspire any great enthusiasm about the incandescently magnificent projects waiting in the wings.
Old 04-12-21, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I liked it. I think it is a show that will improve after the pilot and I think it will be better off without Whedon. The final images were really well done.
Old 04-12-21, 02:41 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I liked it. I think it is a show that will improve after the pilot and I think it will be better off without Whedon. The final images were really well done.
The entire first season is Whedon - so not sure how anyone can make a claim it’ll better without him when you’ve seen one single episode.

American Gods turned into a shit fest once Fuller left so who knows. Losing the original creator/show runner for shows isn’t a good thing in many cases.
Old 04-12-21, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Felt like a mash-up of Buffy, Harry Potter, X-Men, and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

I'll probably stick around for the next five episodes, but I probably won't buy the blu-ray IYKWIM.
Old 04-13-21, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,017 Likes on 628 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Ann Skelly looks a bit like Jodi Comer in this.
I thought so, too. As soon as she showed up I looked up the show's cast to be sure it wasn't Comer.

Nice to see Eleanor Tomlinson, however briefly. I liked her a lot in Poldark. It looks like her character (the singer who revealed others who are 'touched') may be fairly important, though, so I expect to see her more in future episodes.
Old 04-14-21, 01:48 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

It was ok. Enough little interesting bits that will get me to watch episode 2, but I almost had to turn it off during Maladie's "monologue", it was that bad. But this also has Herr Starr, so that's always a bonus.
Old 04-15-21, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I did not know this was a Whedon show when I watched it. I saw Nick Frost in an add for it so I watched it. My wife and I were both saddened when we saw Whedon's name pop up at the end. My wife is a big Buffy fan but just recently read about the "Whedon = bad dude" stuff.
I thought the episode was okay; not great but I'll still give it a chance.
Old 04-15-21, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 555 Likes on 406 Posts

Like I've mentioned earlier I've not been a fan of any of Whedon's previous shows but I really liked that first episode.
Old 04-19-21, 05:55 AM

I'll more than likely stick through these first 6 episodes, but I am just not feeling this...
Old 04-19-21, 08:54 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I'll more than likely stick through these first 6 episodes, but I am just not feeling this...
Same here.
Old 04-20-21, 07:05 PM

I liked the second episode much more. I think this will be a show with a OK to good first season and an excellent second season.
Old 04-22-21, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

I like the characters Amalia, Penance and, Primrose, but there seems to be a lot going on especially with Lavinia and the surgeon. I’ll keep watching even though I wish the episodes weren’t close to an hour long.
Old 04-23-21, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Maybe I'm cynical, but isn't this just another "group of people with random special powers" in the vein of Heroes and The Gifted? I'm trying to give this a chance, but I can't help but think I've seen it before.
Old 04-23-21, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Yeah, it's definitely not unique in that sense. There's the current Netflix shows The Umbrella Academy and The Irregulars--the latter being set in Victorian London gives it a similar vibe to The Nevers, though most of the primary characters in The Irregulars don't have powers.. Throw in Penny Dreadful as well.

That said, I am enjoying this show. I like the steampunk aesthetic and the overall production design. The characters are growing on me. I like the contrast between the quiet resolve of Amalia and the more heart-on-her-sleeve openness of Miss Adair. The writing here is certainly better than The Gifted and seasons 2+ of Heroes. I'll stick with this through the rest of this season at least.
Old 04-25-21, 10:07 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Tonight was the first episode where I wasn’t looking at the clock. By far the best episode so far.
Old 04-26-21, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, good episode. That fight on the river was very cool!
Old 04-26-21, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Yeah, digging this show so far.
Old 05-17-21, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This week's episode was quite different. We got Amalia's origin story and it was pretty cool. I hope that we will see more of it at some point, though what we got is enough to draw some conclusions from. It was great seeing Claudia Black in this, if only for one episode.
I guess this is on hiatus for a while now.
Old 05-18-21, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

I think it was supposed to be ten episodes, but they had to shut down production because of the pandemic, and they'll air the last four episodes later this year.

Not sure why HBO just didn't wait until they could air all ten back-to-back; also would have given people some time to forget about Joss Whedon's recent peccadilloes.
Old 05-18-21, 04:45 AM

It’s now two batches of 6 episodes.

They needed to put out content.
Old 05-18-21, 05:55 PM

I really enjoyed this and thought the final episode of the 6 was very well done. I will actually go back and watch the first 6 again since they are so dense.
Old 05-19-21, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 233 Likes on 137 Posts

Episode 6 totally reminded me of "Epitaph One" from Dollhouse. I was like "Uh, did I put the right show on?" for the first 15 minutes but really enjoyed it.
Old 05-27-21, 10:35 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by dstrauss
Episode 6 totally reminded me of "Epitaph One" from Dollhouse. I was like "Uh, did I put the right show on?" for the first 15 minutes but really enjoyed it.
Ha, exactly my reaction! I thought it was an HBO Max bug. I loaded the show 3 different times, and then fast forwarded a bit (not to watch content, but just to see if
Spoiler:
it switched to the Victorian era again at any point)
Old 07-12-21, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Finished up the front 6, and agree it got better as the series progressed. I’ll have to go back and watch the promos, but I feel like the series played a lot different than it let on.

Despitr some of the sci-fi/fantasy elements, it really played like a period character piece. Plus, they managed to get A LOT of content into 6 episodes.

I also agree the last episode felt a lot like some of the Dollhouse episodes (although it’s been ages since I watched that and not sure I ever finished - so fuzzy).

There was a lot of exposition to follow, and I’m not sure I got it all. If I understand correctly:
Spoiler:
at some unknown point in the future, the world has gone to crap. Uncertain if it was mankind's own doing, natural disasters, or some alien presence.

There appear to be some sort of factions, and some people have powers or operate in some sort of cast system. Some religious group (?), thinks destroying the alien will save humanity, while the group we’re following think they’re the savior.

The group discovers the wormhole is unidirectional and only goes to the past. After things go sideways, our main character (didn’t catch her name), kills herself only to be carried to the past and put into (dead?) Mollie’s body. However, she’s not a spore (?) person and can’t tell how things are supposed to go.

Also, it seems somebody else came back with her. Maybe a nemesis of sorts?

It also seems like she was responsible for Sarah getting carted off by the sketchy Dr who is working for wheelchair sister to bird man.

Whew that was a lot. I almost wish we hadn’t gotten the backstory and instead we’re left to wonder.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.