Reload this Page >

The Nevers (HBO) -- created by Joss Whedon -- premieres 4/11/21

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 07-13-18, 12:46 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Joss Whedon is returning to television.

The Buffy the Vampire Slayer alum has landed a straight-to-series order at HBO for Victorian drama The Nevers. Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that the drama landed at the premium cable network amid a competitive situation with multiple bidders, including streaming giant Netflix. An episode count and premiere date have not yet been determined.

The Nevers is described as an epic science fiction drama about a gang of Victorian women who find themselves with unusual abilities, relentless enemies and a mission that might change the world. Whedon will serve as writer, director, exec producer and showrunner on The Nevers.

"I honestly couldn't be more excited. The Nevers is maybe the most ambitious narrative I’ve created, and I can’t imagine a better home for it than HBO," Whedon said. "Not only are they the masters of cinematic longform, but their instant understanding of my odd, intimate epic was as emotional as it was incisive. It's been too long since I created an entirely new fictional world, and the HBO team offer not just scope and experience, not just 'prestige,' but a passionate collaboration. I could go on, but — I’m impatiently grateful to say — I have work to do."

The Nevers marks Whedon's return to the small screen and the first show he has created since Fox's Dollhouse. His credits include Firefly, Buffy spinoff Angel and serving as an exec producer on ABC's Marvel drama Agents of SHIELD, which is showrun by his brother, Jed Whedon, and sister-in-law, Maurissa Tancharoen. The news comes as the trio are poised to appear at San Diego Comic-Con for a massive 10-year reunion for their original web series Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog in Hall H.

The Whedon show comes a day after Netflix snapped HBO's 18-year streak as the most-nominated outlet at the Emmys and as new corporate parent AT&T is eyeing a larger and broader expansion to better compete with media behemoths including Netflix, Apple and Amazon, among others. HBO will now have the first original series from genre favorites Whedon and J.J. Abrams. The latter has HBO sci-fi drama Demimonde, which is the first show he's written since Alias. The cabler is also developing Alan Moore's beloved graphic novel Watchmen with Damon Lindelof with the pilot fully expected to be picked up to series.

"We have long been fans of the incredibly talented and prolific Joss Whedon and we can’t think of a better project than The Nevers with which to welcome him to the HBO family," HBO programming president Casey Bloys said. "We look forward to meeting the strange, multifaceted characters of The Nevers, to learn their stories, see them in action and share them with our viewers. We’re honored that Joss chose HBO as the place to build his ambitious new world and we are excited to get started."

While a premiere date remains unclear, HBO has a stacked 2019 with the returns of Big Little Lies, True Detective and Veep joining a slate that includes the final season of Game of Thrones, J.J. Abrams' new show Demimonde and Lovecraft Country (from Jordan Peele), Westworld, Barry, Ballers, Crashing, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Deuce, Insecure, Silicon Valley, Succession, Camping and Nicole Kidman's The Undoing.

Whedon, repped by CAA and Ziffren Brittenham, counts features including The Cabin in the Woods, The Avengers and sequel Age of Ultron.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...at-hbo-1126951
Old 07-13-18, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 526 Likes on 329 Posts
re: The Nevers (HBO) -- created by Joss Whedon -- premieres 4/11/21

Awesome news. Hopefully it is in the same league as Buffy, Angel and Firefly and not another Dollhouse.
Old 07-13-18, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 546 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Awesome news. Hopefully it is in the same league as Buffy, Angel and Firefly and not another Dollhouse.
He's already made four bad shows why not a fifth.
Old 07-13-18, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

GREAT news!

Big fan of Joss, read his biography etc. I've always felt that Joss needed the creative freedom network TV can't always provide to let his talents truly shine. HBO is the perfect medium to really let loose.

Looking forward to this....
Old 07-14-18, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Sounds a lot like The League of Extraordinary Women. HBO at one time had a keen interest in developing The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen into a series.

I'm not sure Whedon is the right choice for a period piece.
Old 07-14-18, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Well, I never!"
Old 07-14-18, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

How much will Joss be involved is the real question...week to week like he did on Buffy, or more along the lines of Agents of SHIELD?
Old 07-14-18, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
How much will Joss be involved is the real question...week to week like he did on Buffy, or more along the lines of Agents of SHIELD?
Read the article. It says writer, director, EP, and showrunner. That tells me hands on daily investment from him.
Old 07-15-18, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Love his stuff, but now when I see he's doing another female centered show, I assume it's so he can continue being a creep.
Old 07-15-18, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Whedon writing a series about young women with extraordinary abilities...never seen that before.

This could actually serve as a prequel of sorts to Buffy.
Old 07-16-18, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Whedon writing a series about young women with extraordinary abilities...never seen that before.

This could actually serve as a prequel of sorts to Buffy.
Had the same thought. I think there is a Buffy comic that takes place in the past, and I immediately thought of that when I read the description for this.
Old 04-23-19, 11:28 AM

EXCLUSIVE: Meet Joss Whedon’s next leading lady. Laura Donnelly (Outlander) is set as the lead in The Nevers, HBO’s straight-to-series drama from the Buffy the Vampire Slayer creator and The Avengers writer/director.

Co-written by Whedon and Buffy alums Jane Espenson and Doug Petrie and directed by Whedon, The Nevers is an epic science fiction drama about a gang of Victorian women who find themselves with unusual abilities, relentless enemies, and a mission that might change the world.

UK actress Donnelly will play Amalia True, the most reckless, impulsive, emotionally damaged hero of her time. A menace to stuffy Victorian society, she would die for the cause and kill for a drink.

“Laura Donnelly has charisma, wisdom and an anarchic precision that not only captures Amalia but defines her,” said Whedon. “She’s fierce and she’s funny – and I need both for the journey ahead.”

Whedon, who serves as showrunner, executive produces with Espenson, Petrie and Bernie Caulfield.

Whedon is known for creating TV series with strong female protagonists, including Buffy the Vampire Slayers, headlined by Sarah Michelle Gellar and the cult sci-fi drama Dollhouse starring Eliza Dushku.

Donnelly, who hails from Northern Ireland, is probably best known in the U.S. for her recurring role as Jenny Fraser in Starz’s Outlander. Her series credits also include Beowulf: Return to the Shieldlands, Britannia and Missing.

She is an accomplished stage actress who won the Best Actress award at the 2018 Olivier Awards for her portrayal of Caitlin in Jez Butterworth’s The Ferryman, directed by Oscar winner Sam Mendes. Donnelly also starred in Butterworth’s play, The River at the Royal Court Theatre, alongside Dominic West, and reprised her role in the Broadway production alongside Hugh Jackman.

Donnelly, who will next be seen in a starring role in the Fox Searchlight feature Tolkien alongside Nicholas Hoult and Lily Collins, is repped by Jonathan Arun in the UK and CAA in the U.S. and attorney Shelby Weiser.
https://deadline.com/2019/04/laura-d...MRu5eVoL0Z6jUk
Old 07-30-19, 12:48 PM

Joss Whedon is continuing to populate his new world of badass, supernatural Victorian women. (Yeah, you read that right.)

The Nevers, a new series coming to HBO, is described as an “epic science-fiction drama about a gang of Victorian women who find themselves with unusual abilities, relentless enemies and a mission that might change the world.”

As previously reported, the series stars Outlander‘s Laura Donnelly as Amalia True, “the most reckless, impulsive, emotionally damaged hero of her time. A menace to stuffy Victorian society, she would die for the cause and kill for a drink.”

HBO on Tuesday revealed 12 new additions to the cast, complete with their official character descriptions. Let’s see who’s joining Amalia in the world of The Nevers:

* Olivia Williams (Counterpart) as Lavinia Bidlow, a “wealthy spinster and champion of the ‘Touched.’ Lavinia funds the Orphanage — where Amalia and many of the Touched live — through her vast family fortune. She is stern and old-fashioned, but as strong-willed and clever as anyone she confronts.”

* James Norton (McMafia) as Hugo Swann, a “pansexual posh boy whose charm has about five years left on its lease. He runs a secret club and a side trade in blackmail. He’s devoted to fulfilling everyone’s worst impression of him – and fascinated by the Touched.”

* Tom Riley (Da Vinci’s Demons) as Augustus “Augie” Bidlow, a “sweet, disarming nerd and Lavinia’s younger brother. A keen ornithologist, Augie is happy to let his older sister take the reins of the family fortune. He finds the Touched unnerving, but is drawn to them by his increasing infatuation with Miss Adair, and by the schemes of his nefarious best friend, Hugo.”

* Ann Skelly (Vikings) as Penance Adair, “Amalia’s dearest friend and one of the first women to join her cause. A devout — yet heretically progressive — Irish girl, Penance has genius for invention. She is delighted by her power, and her default is love and acceptance. But she’s firm in her moral sense, and will be guided by what’s right over what’s expedient every time.”

* Ben Chaplin (Cinderella) as Detective Frank Mundi. “Big, gruff, and deeply moral, Detective Mundi trusts no one, least of all himself: his reputation for sudden violence (and excessive drink) is not unwarranted. Frank finds himself caught between the powerful, who ignore the the laws of the land, and newly empowered, who ignore the laws of physics.”

* Pip Torrens (Polark) as Lord Massen. “Staunch, unflappable and merciless in his defense of the British Empire, this former General, now Peer, may be the only man who sees clearly what havoc these few strange people can wreak upon the established order — which he will protect, one way or another.”

* Zackary Momoh (Harriet) as Doctor Horatio Cousens, “one of the few successful West Indian physicians in London. Married with a young son, Horatio’s fortunes took a dark turn when he met Amalia and discovered his own ability. Now he works with her and the Beggar King, those who don’t care who is or isn’t ‘different.'”

* Amy Manson (Once Upon a Time) as Maladie. “Committed by her husband (and genuinely unstable), she’s been warped by a power she can’t understand, and tortured by doctors intent on finding its source. She now lives underground, runs a gang and is on an infamous murder spree. She affects a theatrical parody of a bedlam waif, but mad as she is, she’s a woman with a purpose.”

* Nick Frost (Into the Badlands) as Declan Orrun, aka The Beggar King. “Charismatic and brutal, Declan runs — or has a piece of — most of the low-level criminal activity in the city. He’s perfectly happy to help Amalia and her cause, and equally happy to sell them out. He backs winners, and the Touched are long odds.”

* Rochelle Neil (Episodes) as Annie Carbey, aka Bonfire. “Annie is a career criminal who landed the ability to control fire and is happy to hire it out. Came up rough, stayed that way, but she’s neither impulsive nor cruel — just looking out for herself. No matter who she works with or for, Annie trusts only Annie, and the fire.”

* Eleanor Tomlinson (The White Queen) as Mary Brighton. “Gentle but surprisingly resilient, Mary pursued her dream of singing on stage. A disappointing career and a broken engagement haven’t diminished her spirit. She’s going to be great. She’s going to be very surprised how.”

* Denis O’Hare (True Blood) as Dr. Edmund Hague, a “gifted American surgeon. He uses his skills in the coldest, most brutal way possible — but it’s all in the name of progress!”

Whedon will serve as showrunner, executive producer, writer and director. Additional EPs include Doug Petrie and Jane Espenson (both writing), as well as Bernie Caulfield (non-writing).
https://tvline.com/2019/07/30/joss-w...wFvx6S6sftIRsw
Old 07-30-19, 12:50 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Can't wait to be pressured to buy multiple copies of this on DVD in order to boost the numbers.
Old 07-30-19, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by groucho
can't wait to be pressured to buy multiple copies of this on dvd in order to boost the numbers.
lololol
Old 07-31-19, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Can't wait to be pressured to buy multiple copies of this on DVD in order to boost the numbers.
Old 11-25-20, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,357 Likes on 922 Posts

Whedon gone: https://www.darkhorizons.com/whedon-...os-the-nevers/
Old 11-25-20, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Ray Fisher thinks he was canned because of the fall out of the Justice League investigation.
Old 11-26-20, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

I see Jane Espenson is attached. I don’t recall if she or Marti Noxon took over primary Buffy duties in the later seasons. I wasn’t pleased with how those turned out (7 was okay), so some potential apprehension on where this project goes.
Old 11-26-20, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
He's already made four bad shows why not a fifth.
This. Tween shows
Old 11-26-20, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
I see Jane Espenson is attached. I don’t recall if she or Marti Noxon took over primary Buffy duties in the later seasons. I wasn’t pleased with how those turned out (7 was okay), so some potential apprehension on where this project goes.
Noxon was show runner in the final two seasons of Buffy.

Talk about a career taking a tumble. It feels like Whedon has squandered a lot of big opportunities.
Old 02-02-21, 11:28 AM

Old 02-02-21, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts

Could be cool...
Old 02-02-21, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
I remember liking the episodes from Espenson, but not Noxon.
Old 02-02-21, 01:12 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Oh, right. Whedon called someone a poopie head and got fired.

Hard pass now.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.