Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Sweetbitter (STARZ) -- premieres 5/6/18

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 05-06-18, 08:45 AM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xcD5uRVO2SE" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

“Sweetbitter” tells the story of Tess (Ella Purnell), a 22-year-old who arrives in New York City ready to pursue a new life. When she finds herself interviewing for a position at one of the best restaurants in the city, she thinks she’s found a steady income and a safe place to wait. But Tess is quickly intoxicated by the chaotic, adrenalized world behind-the-scenes, tasting expensive wine, exploring dive bars, and learning who she can trust.

“Sweetbitter” illuminates the sensory journey of developing a palate. How the sweet, sour, salt, bitter, and umami threaten, complement and ultimately need each other so that we can learn to taste. “Sweetbitter” is a show about the life that happens to you while you’re waiting.

“Sweetbitter” is adapted from the best–selling novel of the same name by series creator Stephanie Danler who serves as executive producer and writer on the series. She is joined as an executive producer by Stu Zicherman (“The Americans,” “The Affair,” “Six Degrees”) who also serves as showrunner and director of the finale episode and Richard Shepard (The Matador, Dom Hemingway, “Girls,” “Criminal Minds,” “Ugly Betty”) who directed the series premiere episode. Plan B Entertainment’s Dede Gardner, Jeremy Kleiner and Sarah Esberg also executive produce the series.
Six episode first season.
Old 05-07-18, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
Re: Sweetbitter (STARZ) -- premieres 5/6/18

Well, no one else has commented yet, so I will: the pilot kind of reminded me of Amazon's Red Oaks, in that it wasn't the most original story... but I think it had a likeable cast that could possibly carry the show. What it lacks in originality it makes up for in charm. Of course, I don't mind shows with female leads, and I like shows set in restaurants, so there's that.
Old 05-09-18, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 277 Likes on 231 Posts

I watched it on Monday thanks to the multiple re-airings of the first episode and I am in. I like that there is not a character that I just loathe seeing on screen and I did not realize it is only 30 minutes long which is a major plus.
Old 05-23-18, 08:31 AM

Yea, not much going on here, but it is an easy watch. There are a lot of actors in the cast that I like. Paul Sparks is such a chameleon. Great actor.
Old 07-13-18, 12:13 PM

Order up! Starz apparently really likes the taste of Sweetbitter: The restaurant drama based on Stephanie Danler’s novel has been renewed for Season 2, the premium cable network announced Friday.

Season 1, which premiered in May and ended in June, consisted of six half-hour episodes. The sophomore run will up that number to 10.

The series’ return date is to be determined.
https://tvline.com/2018/07/13/sweetb...eason-2-starz/