Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Castle Rock (Hulu) - Stephen King anthology series - EP: Abrams - premieres 7/25/18

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Castle Rock (Hulu) - Stephen King anthology series - EP: Abrams - premieres 7/25/18

Old 08-30-18, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts
Re: Castle Rock (Hulu) - Stephen King anthology series - EP: Abrams - premieres 7/25/

Originally Posted by RichC2
Oh, yeah, audio from their website isn't great. It's been fine on my Roku and they offer 5.1 on my Xbone.
Odd, what is the reason they'd not just have the same audio across the board? Guess I need to see about streaming through my game console.
Old 09-01-18, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Castle Rock (Hulu) - Stephen King anthology series - EP: Abrams - premieres 7/25/

Originally Posted by Koby
Finally got time to check this show out. One episode in and I'm enjoying it, but the shitty 64kbps 2ch audio Hulu has makes a lot of the dialogue inaudible to the point I am forced to keep subtitles on to understand quite a bit of what is being said. I don't know how people deal with this or why Hulu thinks that is acceptable. The video quality is really nice, it's on par with Amazon imo fairly often), you'd think they'd offer some decent audio (no other stream service I know of offers this low of quality audio).
YES! I have a bad right ear, and was blaming myself. Or I thought maybe it was just the actors mumbling their dialogue. I have to wear my Bluetooth headphones just to watch this show (unless I want to turn up the volume and annoy my neighbors).

I'm streaming on a Samsung Smart TV. I watch Hulu all the time. And it's only this show I have this problem with!

Since I don't have this problem with 20 others shows I watch on Hulu, I'm going to blame the show's sound people and/or the actors, not Hulu.
Old 09-01-18, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Great show. Fun to see Stephen King's universe come together. Though I'm a little concerned this is going to be like Lost with its ambiguity and we're all going to be annoyed that it doesn't offer answers.

Episode 7's time jumping reminded me of Arrival. And then also used the same musical composition (On the Nature of Daylight). Maybe I'm the only one who notices stuff like that. But it kind of took me out of it for a minute.
Old 09-09-18, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,171 Likes on 4,201 Posts

Wow was Episode 9 a trip. Having a hard time fully wrapping my head around what happened, what is real and what isn't. Peter Skarsgaard was really good in a wildly different performance. Cool stuff.
Old 09-10-18, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Wow was Episode 9 a trip. Having a hard time fully wrapping my head around what happened, what is real and what isn't. Peter Skarsgaard was really good in a wildly different performance. Cool stuff.
You mean Bill Skarsgard. Peter Sarsgaard is another actor.

Going to be very interesting to see how they tie things up in the finale this Wed.
Old 09-12-18, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

And in true King fashion, they shit the bed with that ending.
Old 09-12-18, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
And in true King fashion, they shit the bed with that ending.
Ain't that the truth. Christ almighty I want those hours back. Even the It TV movie ending didn't leave me as pissed off as this did.
Old 09-13-18, 11:55 AM

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

I didn't think the last episode was terrible, but I agree the quality of the show was inconsistent. The moment where you get a glimpse of the
Spoiler:
demon or whatever it was
I thought was pretty cool.

Two final questions about this show. Who killed the deaf man, and how did Harvey Deaver get out of the RV?
Old 09-13-18, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Anti-climactic for sure.

Are there more seasons coming? I see "anthology". Is this story over, and we move onto another Castle Rock story next season?
Old 09-13-18, 02:17 PM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Anti-climactic for sure.

Are there more seasons coming? I see "anthology". Is this story over, and we move onto another Castle Rock story next season?
The Hulu drama, already renewed for a second season, is the latest entry into television's increasingly expanding horror anthology game. Details about the show's anthological approach have been left under wraps, however. Will Castle Rock follow in the American Horror Story mold, for example, insofar as bringing series regulars back season after season, albeit in different roles?

"We certainly love the fact that Kathy Bates got to play two of the most iconic Kingian female characters," says Thomason, "and the oddness of knowing that she inhabits a couple of parts of that universe. We certainly have been incredibly fortunate and amazed by the excitement of having who we consider to be the alpha and omega of the King actors in [It star Bill Skarsgård] and [Carrie star Sissy Spacek] this season."

As for whether Castle Rock would ever return to the story of Henry Deaver in a future season, or if they view the current mystery fully resolved, Thomason offered, "We always took the approach that Steve does in his work, which is that we feel that he has been building this grand library of characters and stories that often bend back on themselves in unexpected way. You look at Father Callahan in Salem's Lot and The Dark Tower, for example. I think the idea of returning to Father Callahan was something that had percolated in Steve's mind long before we saw him in The Dark Tower. In that same spirit, I think we feel like the time and place would have to be right, and we would hope to do it in just as unexpected a way as Steve does it with his characters."
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...lained-1142349
Old 09-13-18, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by funkyryno

I didn't think the last episode was terrible, but I agree the quality of the show was inconsistent. The moment where you get a glimpse of the
Spoiler:
demon or whatever it was
I thought was pretty cool.

Two final questions about this show. Who killed the deaf man, and how did Harvey Deaver get out of the RV?
Molly killed him and let Henry out.
Old 09-14-18, 12:20 AM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

What I really hate is that episode 9 laid it all out, explaining the overall mystery pretty well, and was even reminiscent of King’s work with all his use of parallel realities and such. I thought it was the stongest episode of the season, and it gave me hope for a strong finale. Then episode 10 comes along and made 9 pointless, just a fake story told by a damn demon.
The Kid became nothing more than a poor man’s Leland Gaunt (Needful Things) to an extent.
Old 09-14-18, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Also disappointed with the ending. All I needed was an explanation of The Kid's motivations, and none was given.
Old 09-14-18, 06:32 AM

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by collven
Also disappointed with the ending. All I needed was an explanation of The Kid's motivations, and none was given.
I read a great explanation after episode 9 ended. I 'll take that and pretend this finale never existed.

for anyone interested: https://www.reddit.com/r/CastleRockT..._to_episode_9/
Old 09-14-18, 11:57 AM

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
Molly killed him and let Henry out.
Thanks. I totally missed that part, as all I remember is her helping Deaver afterward. Must've been staring at my phone or something.
Old 09-14-18, 12:20 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I missed her killing that dude as well. Was it shown on screen? All I saw was him laying there with a screwdriver to the eye.
Old 09-14-18, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
I missed her killing that dude as well. Was it shown on screen? All I saw was him laying there with a screwdriver to the eye.
It was implied. She found out where Henry was located by their connection and after she lets him out they cut to the guy outside dead implying that she killed him.
Old 09-14-18, 02:40 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

My take was that she ran up, found the trailer, and let him out with no interference. And the "twist" was that there was no interference because somebody had killed that guy. A new mystery to be solved! And like a lot of mysteries in this show, never really addressed again.
Old 09-14-18, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

I thought the finale implied the Rory Culkin character had killed him, and then tried to frame Henry for his murder. Never figured Molly was responsible.
Old 09-14-18, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My take was that she ran up, found the trailer, and let him out with no interference. And the "twist" was that there was no interference because somebody had killed that guy. A new mystery to be solved! And like a lot of mysteries in this show, never really addressed again.
It was just like when Molly killed Henry's dad she was being led by Henry and killed the blind dude because he had locked Henry up. It makes no sense for any other person to have killed him.
Old 09-14-18, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by clappj
I thought the finale implied the Rory Culkin character had killed him, and then tried to frame Henry for his murder. Never figured Molly was responsible.
That makes no sense since Henry was locked in that room with no way to get out when the blind man was killed. Why would the Rory Culkin character try to frame him when only him and the blind man knew where Henry was?

In the finale he is in the police station blaming Henry because he assumes he killed him because he doesn't know about Molly.
Old 09-15-18, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Gunde
I read a great explanation after episode 9 ended. I 'll take that and pretend this finale never existed.

for anyone interested: https://www.reddit.com/r/CastleRockT..._to_episode_9/

I wouldn't call that an explanation, it's just a recap. Were people actually confused by episode 9? I was pretty clear on what was going on during the episode.
Old 09-15-18, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Questyen
It was just like when Molly killed Henry's dad she was being led by Henry and killed the blind dude because he had locked Henry up. It makes no sense for any other person to have killed him.
I'm not saying Molly didn't kill Odin, but to say it makes no sense that anyone else did isn't true. Watch the episode again where Odin traps Henry in the sound proof room. When Odin implies that he's going to use the hot pokers later to deafen Willie, he doesn't look real pleased with that prospect. Maybe Odin was fixing to do it and Willie grabbed the poker and killed him with it. Perhaps later he would have freed Henry with the plan to frame him for it, but Molly beat him to it.
Old 09-15-18, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Show definitely seemed to fizzle out in the finale... and overall I'm left feeling like the season was average at best and not much more than a time waster. Undecided if I'll return for season 2.
Old 09-15-18, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by collven
I'm not saying Molly didn't kill Odin, but to say it makes no sense that anyone else did isn't true. Watch the episode again where Odin traps Henry in the sound proof room. When Odin implies that he's going to use the hot pokers later to deafen Willie, he doesn't look real pleased with that prospect. Maybe Odin was fixing to do it and Willie grabbed the poker and killed him with it. Perhaps later he would have freed Henry with the plan to frame him for it, but Molly beat him to it.
That explanation still doesn't make any sense to me nor does it fit in with what they showed in the episode. It's not like Willie was being held captive and forced to be deafened all he had to do was leave. He had no reason to kill Odin.

But anyways we've spent far to long talking about a show that started out good and had some nice character moments but everything story wise ended up being stupid and pointless.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.