Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Who Is America? (Showtime) -- new Sacha Baron Cohen show

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 07-09-18, 10:19 AM

Received 302 Likes on 215 Posts

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
As one of the greatest mustachioed gents of all time would say: Wa wa wee wa. Very nice news you’re about to read! With the curious case of Sacha Baron Cohen’s new comedy series for Showtime growing more mysterious each day, Vulture has some intel that can help solidify what shenanigans Cohen has gotten up to. As spotted by our editors in Park Slope, Brooklyn, this weekend, it appears Cohen’s Showtime series will be called Who Is America? “You’ve been warned,” the posters tease, while giving us the first glance of Cohen’s character — a guy suspiciously peeking out of American flags with various eyewear. It’s kind of like that one Talking Heads album cover, but way more Republican.

When Cohen’s show — slated to premiere on July 15 — was cryptically announced by Showtime last week, the network described his character as being “shameless,” “unhinged,” and “cold-blooded.” Oh, and that it might be “perhaps the most dangerous show in the history of television.” It will also likely involve some President Trump bashing.

Looks like it will premiere July 15th.
Old 07-09-18, 12:15 PM

Re: Who Is America? (Showtime) -- new Sacha Baron Cohen show

Showtime has revealed its new project with Sacha Baron Cohen. The pay cabler announced Monday that the comic’s new television series “Who Is America?” will premiere at midnight Eastern time July 15. Written and directed by Cohen, the seven-episode series will explore individuals known and unknown across the American political spectrum.

“Sacha is a comedic genius who shocks you with his audacity, bravery and inventiveness,” Showtime president and CEO David Nevins said. “He is the premier provocateur of our time, but not for the sake of ‘gotcha’ moments. Behind the elaborate setup is a genuine quest for the truth about people, places and politics. Nobody knows how to cause a stir like Sacha Baron Cohen, and it’s going to be fascinating to watch what happens when ‘Who Is America?’ is released on the world.”

“Who Is America?” marks Baron Cohen’s first series television project since “Da Ali G Show,” which aired on Channel 4 in the U.K. and HBO in the U.S. That series and the two movies that spun off from it — “Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan” and “Brüno” — elevated Baron Cohen to comedy stardom in the U.S.

Variety first reported last week that Baron Cohen was in talks with Showtime on a new series that would be similar in format to “Da Ali G Show,” which saw Baron Cohen conducting interviews with public figures in disguise as various characters and everyday people.

Cohen teased the project on July 4, releasing a cryptic video via social media that said, in part, “He’s back as you’ve never seen him before.”

The video also featured real footage of Donald Trump insulting Baron Cohen and ends with the logo of the now-defunct Trump University. Other than Trump, Baron Cohen could also be targeting other celebrities. He was reported to have filmed a stunt with O.J. Simpson in his Las Vegas hotel room in February. The new series is created and executive produced by Baron Cohen and is also executive produced by Anthony Hines, Todd Schulman, Andrew Newman, Dan Mazer and Adam Lowitt.

Watch a teaser for “Who Is America?” below:

<iframe width="635" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-gx70yWboTs" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/sho...rn-1202868516/
Old 07-09-18, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

I will watch this
Old 07-13-18, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I may order Showtime just for this... hilarious!

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/sach...084225018.html
Old 07-14-18, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in!
Old 07-14-18, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

Is this the conservatives equivalent of the MeToo movement where they all come out against Sasha Baron Cohen ?
Old 07-15-18, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Every time I see this title I think of Drax saying Why is America?
Old 07-15-18, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Looking forward to this.
Old 07-15-18, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The guns bit...just wow
Old 07-15-18, 01:56 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

^ not the toes, not the toes!
Old 07-15-18, 02:39 PM

Holy shit that lady at the art gallery
Old 07-15-18, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
I may order Showtime just for this... hilarious!

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/sach...084225018.html
Ditto!
Old 07-16-18, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

fucking brilliant!
Old 07-16-18, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched the gun bit on Youtube... and just... wow. Amazing that people say this stuff. I can't imagine anybody saying it - let alone politicians.
Old 07-16-18, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

That was a great lead in: "No politician is going to hear a proposal and immediately go on camera and endorse it..."
Old 07-16-18, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 584 Likes on 345 Posts

Yeah, I wasn't crazy about the art one (and feel really sorry when people are just trying to be polite because they know they are on camera). But the gun one? Wow! That blew my mind (and not because I got shot in the head).
Old 07-16-18, 03:55 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
(and feel really sorry when people are just trying to be polite because they know they are on camera).
This is a really good point... and not just on camera, but in general. This is why I try to distinguish between the clips where someone just laughs at someone's terrible idea and the clips where they specifically say something reprehensible. I think the art dealer and the Republican couple were just trying to be kind to a strange person. With the latter, my take away was just that they were willing to believe that there are "crazy liberals" like the character he was portraying. It's the whole, "It may not be real, but I BET there are people just like that." kind of mentality. The Bernie segment was similar, except that he wasn't really putting up with the "crazy right-winger's" shit, but was still pretty polite about it.

Which is what makes the gun segment that much worse. There are parts where it's clear that the participants were just nervously laughing about the crazy shit Cohen was saying, and although that's still shitty (like the Muslim gardener bit), I KIND of get how that happens. But they didn't stop there. Some of them said things, all on their own, that show how terrible they are. Other times, they had no problem with blindly reading a teleprompter espousing hugely questionable things. Not as characters, but as themselves. For them to now say "I was duped!" is pretty laughable. Have these people never pre-read a script? Questioned something BEFORE being asked to endorse it? It just shows how little attention they pay to the details of the political issues they claim to care so much about.
Old 07-16-18, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 584 Likes on 345 Posts

^ But the fact that they know they are on TV is absolutely critical to his content. If Baron-Cohen showed up in the art dealer's office or in the Republicans' mansion in character and costume but without a camera crew (or with hidden cameras only), they would tell him to get the hell out and that his work was literally crap. But the fact that they think they are being interviewed for a program makes them more open and polite. Nobody wants to come across as a close-minded asshole on TV (well, except for maybe this one guy who lives in DC and NYC), so they're more complementary and polite and receptive than they would really be in 'real life'. I think it's an important distinction to make.
Old 07-16-18, 05:02 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

^ For sure. Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that wasn't the case. All I was saying about on vs off camera was that some people, including those he spoke to, might still be inclined to be that polite either way, if that's in their nature. But I 100% agree that having the camera is a key part of it, with Cohen knowing that most people are far less likely to get angry, storm out, or whatever when they expect that the footage might actually be seen.

Which is why, like I think we're both saying, is that it's important to distinguish between the nervous laughter and on-camera politeness with the straight-up terrible things the other folks said on camera when in the company of someone who they perceive to be like-minded.
Old 07-16-18, 08:52 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

this was absolutely great and Cohen was totally unrecognizable. the shit paintings were the best...
Old 07-17-18, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
I watched the gun bit on Youtube... and just... wow. Amazing that people say this stuff. I can't imagine anybody saying it - let alone politicians.
Actually, I CAN imagine people saying it...especially politicians.
Old 07-17-18, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As a former Laguna Beach local, I got a kick out of the art piece segment.

Otherwise, it was amusing to varying degrees.
Old 07-17-18, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I was really skeptical about the art dealer. She kept setting him up for perfect lines. Artists painting with bodily fluids is nothing new, so she must know shit doesn't dry that way, and semen won't make white markings ect. ect. The segment felt like a skit, why the pretence of him interviewing a real person?

Then it got to the gun segment and my jaw dropped. I couldn't believe all those government officials would blindly endorse some nonsense they'd just been told about. The worst was Joe Walsh, how he spoke in such an authoritative manner, like he'd been studying this for ages and he was some great expert.

After seeing that, I changed my mind. Yeah, this show is real.
Old 07-17-18, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"We will train kids from 16 all the way up to 4!"
"Children have the Blink 182 pheromone"

Hilarious stuff.
Old 07-17-18, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 172 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen View Post
I was really skeptical about the art dealer. She kept setting him up for perfect lines. Artists painting with bodily fluids is nothing new, so she must know shit doesn't dry that way, and semen won't make white markings ect. ect. The segment felt like a skit, why the pretence of him interviewing a real person?
Maybe it's just me, but when Cohen does these characters, the make-up, wigs, and prosthetics always look really obvious. There's an uncanny valley thing going on there, and if it looks like make-up on tv, then it's going to stand out even more if he's right in front of me.

I suspect that some of these people catch on early, and just play along.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.