TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Who Is America? (Showtime) -- new Sacha Baron Cohen show

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-18, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Re: Who Is America? (Showtime) -- new Sacha Baron Cohen show

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Maybe it's just me, but when Cohen does these characters, the make-up, wigs, and prosthetics always look really obvious. There's an uncanny valley thing going on there, and if it looks like make-up on tv, then it's going to stand out even more if he's right in front of me.

I suspect that some of these people catch on early, and just play along.
And some do not want to play along...

I'm assuming that for every person he "fools", there's about 5 that catch on, we just never get to see it.
Old 07-19-18, 10:28 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Maybe it's just me, but when Cohen does these characters, the make-up, wigs, and prosthetics always look really obvious. There's an uncanny valley thing going on there, and if it looks like make-up on tv, then it's going to stand out even more if he's right in front of me.

I suspect that some of these people catch on early, and just play along.
I wondered the same thing with Celebrity Undercover Boss. Like I get that people won't necessarily guess this is Gabby Douglas, but I also don't think it looks like a normal human being either.

Old 07-20-18, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

First episode is up (On Demand at least ... I haven't watched cable in years).

It's uncomfortable and illuminating as you'd expect.

Bernie looked aware but diplomatic. The NRA guy just went for it (WTF?).

With this kind of satire so prevalent, everyone in the crosshairs should have some awareness that they might be duped. But then you get genuinely sincere dirtbags (like Mike Cernovich, who just got James Gunn fired from Guardians of the Galaxy 3) and it's enough to make people question.
Old 07-23-18, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Wow. Just... Wow.

That Georgia State Rep and the Kingman meeting!
Old 07-23-18, 10:53 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

^ yeah those bits were insane.
Old 07-23-18, 11:04 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Spencer just texted his response to the episode to The Post. Here it is in its entirety:

“In 2017 I received countless death threats in connection with my introduction of legislation involving the wearing of masks. The threats escalated to the point that my wife received threatening phone calls concerning her and my children. I was very afraid for my safety and the safety of my entire family.

"Then, on June 14th, a gunman opened fire at members of Congress on a baseball field. I knew people on that field. Now, the fears I already had became more intensified as the reality of my family being targeted by a similar, deranged, would-be assassin became even more possible. I was in such a poor state of mind that my wife and I also undertook marriage counseling with a licensed therapist during this time.

"Sacha Baron Cohen and his associates took advantage of my paralyzing fear that my family would be attacked. In posing as an Israeli Agent, he pretended to offer self-defense exercises. As uncomfortable as I was to participate, I agreed to, understanding that these ‘techniques’ were meant to help me and others fend off what I believed was an inevitable attack.

"My fears were so heightened at that time, I was not thinking clearly nor could I appreciate what I was agreeing to when I participated in his ‘class.’ I was told I would be filmed as a ‘demonstration video’ to teach others the same skills in Israel. Sacha and his crew further lied to me, stating that I would be able to review and have final approval over any footage used.

"I deeply regret the language I used at his request as well as my participation in the ‘class’ in general. If I had not been so distracted by my fears, I never would have agreed to participate in the first place.

“I apologize to my family, friends, and the people of my district for this ridiculously ugly episode. Finally, there are calls for me to resign. I recently lost my primary election, so I will not eligible to hold office next term. Therefore, I will finish the remaining five months at my post and vacate my seat."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.cb817ee3fefb
Old 07-23-18, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Old 07-23-18, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Having been in Kingman many times, that bit with the mosque is spot on. Fucking shit hole of a place.
Old 07-23-18, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones
Having been in Kingman many times, that bit with the mosque is spot on. Fucking shit hole of a place.
Really? They seemed tolerant. They even said so!
Old 07-24-18, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Yeah, black people may not be welcome there, but they sure are tolerated.
Old 07-24-18, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

It is inconceivable to me that anyone could be that gullible, "paralyzing fear" or not. The "self-defense" moves Cohen had him doing were utterly ridiculous. He would have been better off saying that he realized partway through that it was all a setup and he decided to just go along with it.
Old 07-24-18, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by bralph
It is inconceivable to me that anyone could be that gullible, "paralyzing fear" or not. The "self-defense" moves Cohen had him doing were utterly ridiculous. He would have been better off saying that he realized partway through that it was all a setup and he decided to just go along with it.
The sight of him hunched over, running backwards to slam his bare ass into an attacker while shouting "America!" was so ridiculous I felt ashamed to be watching.

After he came back post-credits for more n-words and dick biting, I think I've lost my ability to be surprised by anything anymore. This show might have broken me.

I kind of felt bad for the Bachelor Girl. There can't be much sport in picking on a reality show phoney. I think they placed her segment there strategically, knowing everyone would still shell-shocked from Spencer and pay it little mind.
Old 07-25-18, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

Who cares about that bachelor ditz and she deserves it.

I hope Kingman does not represent the majority of AZ.
Old 07-25-18, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
And some do not want to play along...

I'm assuming that for every person he "fools", there's about 5 that catch on, we just never get to see it.

That gun owner has a Saudi Arabian last name and probably not the redneck Cohen wanted to portray though he might have neck qualities or attributes
Old 07-25-18, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I hope Kingman does not represent the majority of AZ.
I suspect these are the Arizonians sracer talked about in the politics forum. I proudly live in a blue district and have Senator John McCain representing me.

This show does NOT "represent" anything. It is not the news. It's satire and coerces unsuspecting rubes into making fools of themselves. It's highly produced. Those people don't even represent Kingman. Sacha and his producer do their best to find exaggerated caricatures of people with specific traits and beliefs.

Funny show though!
Old 07-25-18, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Yeah, I don't think you even needed to think that was a diverse selection of Kingman residents to enjoy the segment. It would have been just as funny if you knew they specifically advertised it as a forum for Trump supporters to discuss positive changes since the election (or whatever they did). It was a modern version of getting a bunch of wrestling fans to watch guys making out.
Old 07-26-18, 03:26 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

This show reminds me a lot of the bits they do on the Daily Show- especially the stuff that Klepper did when he was on.
Old 07-26-18, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In response to the segment, Kingman issued a caustic statement that accused Cohen’s show of drawing poor ratings — one of the favorite insults used by President Donald Trump.

“It might be easy to laugh off what took place Sunday night on a show with very low ratings that tries to make everyone look bad,” the town said. ” After all, New York City rejected a mosque not too many years ago and Scottsdale, Arizona once had a big debate over a Jewish Community Center. But shrugging this off is not going to be us. We’re going to use this opportunity to keep moving our community forward with the help of many community stakeholders including the Kingman Interfaith Council. And while we’ve been making progress, the comments in the show, fairly or unfairly, show that we still have more work to do.”
https://www.salon.com/2018/07/26/con...pian-response/
Old 07-26-18, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Interfaith Council. There's only one WHITE Hay-zeus.
Old 07-26-18, 11:48 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Holy shit. Their whole response about the Mosque opening in NYC is based upon the Fox News coverage, which further proves the point of the episode.
Old 07-27-18, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Saying the Clinton Foundation was going to pay for the Mosque was just an epic fucking troll.

I'm actually sort of surprised Cohen wasn't physically attacked at that meeting.
Old 07-28-18, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

As a very left-leaning Alabamian I’m so glad to see that the Roy Moore segment will finally air tomorrow night.
Old 07-29-18, 10:03 PM

The quinceanera bit seemed really staged.
Old 07-30-18, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Staged or not the quincinera thing was funny.
Old 07-30-18, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.